Heart of Us | Teen Ink

Heart of Us

January 8, 2020
By Mandoforlife, Springville, Utah
More by this author
Mandoforlife, Springville, Utah
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I love traveling and both my parents speak russian. 

The author's comments:

Privet is Hello in russian

"Privet! Welcome to Ideal'nyy. What would you like to eat?" I asked an older man with white curly hair and a thin mustache. The man looked up and then at my name tag. 

"Okay, Svitlana. Can I get a water vodka, and pelmeni?" I pulled out my notepad and scribbled the word Vodka and Pelmeni. I worked as a waitress at my mom's restaurant, Ideal'nyy. Which in Russian, means perfect. It was true this restaurant was perfect. My two sisters worked here when they were 15, and now it's finally my turn! It was the normal number of people for a 7:00 dinner.

"Svitlana! Your shift is off now!" My mom yelled while flipping a blini in a pan. I took off my name tag and went to the back of the kitchen. We had an apartment on top of Idealniy, which where we lived. I opened the door and went up the stairs to our apartment. Babushka was sitting on the couch like a porcelain doll. Her hair was in tight, short, gray ringlets. Babushka was my grandma, and Deda (short for Deduska) was my grandpa. He was in the very updated kitchen, and boiling water in a copper kettle. 

"Svitlana! It's so nice to see you. Deda was going to make hot cocoa, would you like some dear." Babushka said not moving from her positions on the couch. Babushka and Deda lived with us, but unlike Deda, Babushka could not do much to help around. She was old and was starting to lose more and more energy each day. It's very common in Russia to have a three generation homes. I walked over and sat by Babushka, 

“No thank you-" Just then my Mom came bursting into the apartment with a worried look on her face. "What?" I exclaimed know on my feet.

"The KГб! They accused me of being a...spy! Their taking me away until I can prove I'm not a spy." Mom was now on the couch her eyes watering. 

"Mom, I bet you will be able to prove your innocence." I told her trying to comfort her.  Mom sat there not saying a word, worried it will set off her tears. 

"Take care of Babushka and Deda, and Ideal'nyy. You might need to go to different locations to help prove my innocence." She sounded confident as she spoke. I nodded in agreement and my Mom stood up and walked outside. I ran to the window and watched two men put her in handcuffs and then in a black car. Okay, I thought about what I was going to do first. I need to keep the restaurant open, that's it! I ran down the stairs to the restaurant. Everyone's faces looked confused or worried. 

"It's okay!" I spoke loudly, so the whole congregation of customers and employees, could hear me. Everyone was still silent as a mouse, waiting to hear more. But when they saw that I had nothing else to say, the conversations started again. I pulled out my phone and called the only sister I had, Anya. 

"Privet!" I heard Anya's voice and was relieved. She was at her Dachta, a small summer vacation home, most Russians have if they live in downtown Moscow. Dachta's provide a countryside vacation, and lets people enjoy things like having gardens. We have a Dachta, but obviously the trip will have to be cancelled this year.  Anya and her husband had a datcha about five hours away from Moscow. 

"Anya! It's so nice to hear you, I'm sorry for interrupting your Dachta stay." I spoke softly, hoping not to get the commotion going again.  

"What do you need Svitlana?" Anya seemed to be bugged but still she didn't ignore me. 

"Mom, she got accused of being a spy. The KGB came and took her away!" I felt like my eyes started to feel hot. Anya hesitated for awhile then said,

"... Svitlana, if this is a joke tell me because this is not something to joke around about." 

"Anya! I'm not joking-" I let a few tears drip down my check.

"Svitlana listen, this is serious. Is Babushka and Deda okay?" I didn't know what to say, I forgot to ask them. 

"I think so, but Anya what should I do?" I ran upstairs to check on Babushka and Deda. Babushka was in the same spot on the couch and looked fine, Deda seemed a little more worried but still was boiling the water for Babushka's cocoa. 

"Can Deda do anything to help?" Anya asked trying to find a solution for the problem.

"Anya, you know that he has to much to do with helping Babushka. She is as fragile as glass!" I told her. I bit my lip and I could tell Anya was trying to think of what to do. 

"You know your smart enough to handle this. You can call me whenever you need to. Do you have a retro pass?" Anya said in a hurry. 

"Yes I have a retro pass!"  I couldn't believe Anya wouldn't help. I laid in bed and thought about my next step. Somewhere in there I feel asleep. 

It was 9:24 am and I was just barely getting out of bed. I walked to the kitchen following a delicious smell. Deda had made Babuska and I some eggs with porridge. I thanked him and brought it to my room, pleasantly.  

"Mail!" I heard Deda yell. I was not in the mood to get up and get mail, but then I remembered. 

"Mail!" I jumped up almost spilling my porridge, and ran quickly to the stairs. I grabbed the Mail and flipped through the bill infested stack. Then finally found a small white envelope with a stamp that said KGB. I gave the rest of the Mail to Deda and went to my room tearing open the letter. This was a letter about where mom was staying, and things like where her food will be shipped from and many things like that. I got an idea. I got dressed in pants, blue t-shirt, and black converse. I stuffed the letter in my back pocket, and few more papers in a backpack. I told Deda and Babushka goodbye and ran out the door. Through my mom's crowded shop with news reporters standing outside. I hid my face from the reporters and walked down the street to the retro station. Moscow citizens really take pride in there retro stations, they are very grand and there is no graffiti. I got on the train and waited patiently until the stop by Red Square. I ran up the stairs and saw the beautiful domes of Saint Basil's Cathedral. Saint Basil's is practically what Russia is known for.  I reached for the letter and was hoping that it had not been pickpocketed, luckily it was still there. 


Miss Lena Petrova will be getting her food from Leta. 

Miss Lena Petrova will be getting food at six a.m., noon, and five thirty p.m.

Miss Lena Petrova will be staying at Red's Court, right of Red Square. 

Miss Lena Petrova will have no visitors. 

Anymore needed questions call 29-555-555 

I looked around trying to find the restaurant Leta. It was behind the cathedral and, I was squirming to find my way through the field of tourists. I pulled out my phone and looked at the time, 10:58 a.m. I ran in and found my Mom still handcuffed but ordering some food at the smoothie bar at Leta. I got in line right behind her and was anticipating her reaction of seeing me. 

"One Large Mango smoothies and a muffin please." My Mom asked while swiping her card. That is my Mom and I's favorite smoothie. Obviously she missed me if she ordered that.  The lady at the counter wrote Mom's order down. "Spasiba!" My Mom said turning around. Her face was one in million. Her eyes lit up and her mouth opened a centimeter. Only for a second though. For then she realized the many consequences I would have to go through for coming to her. 

"Hello." She said trying not sound excited. I stepped up and ordered a small Mango smoothies. She smiled faintly walking to a table. I whispered to the cashier, "I'll give you an extra $400 ruble's," (400 rubles is $6.30 American) "If you give this memory card to the Lady who ordered before me." She smiled and nodded, looking like she was part of a crime scheme. I handed it to her and waited for my Mom to get her order. 

"Number six!" The grumpy lady said, sticking the memory card underneath the muffin. My Mom walked up and grabbed it feeling the card underneath. She pretended to nod to the lady but actually nodded to me.

I decided I was going to explore Red Square like a... tourist, Ugh! I was going to see Lenin. Lenin is a dead man that scientists have preserved his body using different chemicals since 1924. His skin looks like rubber, and the lights in the room don't help. How do tourists finding this interesting? I walked out and planned to get on the ferry on the Moscow River to go home. One more stop was to Red's court. I had papers Deda and I had to sign. Then also my shift schedule at Ideal'nyy to prove my Mom was there. 

Sadly, yet again tried to navigate through the crowd of tourists taking selfies with Basil's. Why can't tourist tour someplace else? I don't see why they have to come here? I mean the only thing we have here, that's enough to attract tourists, is Saint Basil's! I was still making my way to the river when I saw the same same black car my Mom had been picked up in. I hurried a little faster and saw it pull up at Red's Court. I pulled out the letter and made sure it said Lena Petrova was staying at Reds Court, It did. I watched as a lady with dark brown hair got out the car. Was it Mom? I couldn't tell, but I know it's safer to stay away from Mom. I walked to the ferry and started aboard up the ramps. 

"BLA!" The boat honked and drifted off. As we passed the chocolate factory I could smell the greatness of chocolate! I wish Mom had a dessert shop instead of some fancy restaurant. That would be way cooler! Americans think that russian chocolate is bitter! I don't really have a valid argument since I haven't tried American chocolate. 

June 7th

It has been about five days since Mom had been accused of being a spy. I had been trying with all I can do to prove her innocence. I don't really know what to do next. I have been to every place I needed to go. I have sent in cameras from the restaurant, and even been around tourists!

Svitlana Petrova 


I laid awake in my bed, with the usual smell of Deda's morning coffee filling the summer air. I walked into the kitchen and, Deda said, "Dobrey utra. I need to run out, Ideal'nyy is running out of caviar, and pelmeni. Please watch Babushka her time is almost up, I can tell." Deda sound serious, like if he thought of the worst. Me being the only one home when Babushka faded away from us. "Stay with her, I know this is the day when Babushka drifts away from us." I didn't want to think about what the words Deda was saying meant. I walked to Babushka's room she was lying silently in the bed.  

"Babushka?" I asked wondering if she was going to respond. She turned her head slightly to look at me, "Are you Okay?"  Babushka did not do anything. She motioned to me like she needed to tell me something. I leaned closer and she whispered in a faint, cold voice,

"No, but I know I will be okay when I die. Tell Deda I love him, and tell your Lena, and Anya I love them too."

"Babushka, I love you." I started crying and tears rolled down my face. Why? Why can't I run out and get things for Ideal'nyy and let Deda be here with her? Why is this happening when my Mom is arrested and why Anya is away at her Datcha. Why this day for Babushka? These questions swarmed in my head like bee's. I got so distracted in my thoughts, I forgot about Babushka laying in the bed next to me. 

"I love you too." Babushka said fading away. I touched her hand and left the room, tears streaming down my face. I picked up the phone and called Anya, 

"Privet! Anya speaking!" I heard the soothing voice of my older sister. 

"Hey, Anya-" I said but Anya interrupting before I could even mention what had happened. 

"Is it over! Did you do it!" Anya sounded so cheerful and I could tell she was waiting to talk to my Mom. 

"No, Anya. It's not about that," I sighed, "It is about Babushka, she's gone no ones home except for me. Anya, Babushka's dead." There was a long silence before either of us spoke. "She wanted me to tell you she loves you," It was very hard to get these simple words out. I waited for Deda to come home, and we had a very sad conversation. 

Later that day, I decided to call Red's Court and see if they can tell my Mom that her mother has passed away. 

"Privet." A man's voice rang out. 

"Privet, I am the daughter of Lena Petrova." I waited for a response. 

"Yes, Lena Petrova. What do you need, it says on the letter Lena will not be having visitors." 

"Yes I know, but can you tell her that her mother just passed away." I was waiting for the man's voice again. 

"Well, I think you can tell her." 

"But sir- Wait my Mom's coming home!" I felt my eyes turn hot just like they did when she left. 

"Yes, today! She has been proven innocent, she had enough evidence." The man said as if he was very happy for me. 

"Spasiba! Spasiba! Spasiba!" I thanked him so many times I think he got annoyed. I couldn't believe it! Mom was coming home! (I also couldn't believe how much tears I have shed!) I hung up and told the news to Deda. Deda told me that it was all because of Svitlana Petrova that Mom was coming back. That made me cry, It was all me! I waited and waited watching out the same bay window that I had watched my Mom disappear into the black car and getting arrested. Then I saw it the black car coming down the busy Moscow road. I ran down the stairs and through Ideal'nyy (Which Mom Never allows running in her restaurant) I waved and the back door opened and Mom stepped out. Wearing the same clothes she left in, Eww! We met in a hug and she exclaimed, 

"Spasiba, Spasiba Spasiba!" We hugged for a while, then walked into the restaurant and our main chef was standing there. He led the crowd of people into applause. "Spasiba!" We walked up to the apartment and I then realised I had not even mentioned Babushka. I pulled her back into the staircase and whispered, 

"Babushka passed away today." My Moms joyful look dropped for a moment it was silent, but then she smiled. Confused, I looked at her. 

"Babushka must be so happy!" Mom exclaimed smiling. So I showed her back into the apartment and to Babushka's and Deda's room. Deda was rocking in his chair, in the corner of the room. He was smiling and was looking through a photo album of Anya, Me and... Kate. Kate was my littlest sister who had died a few years ago. She was only six. I never wanted to look at that book. It always, always made me cry. I realized that is why Mom is so happy. Kate is not going to be alone, Babushka is going to take care of her. I thought of a fantasy scene in the clouds where Kate, her blonde ringlets bouncing as she ran to give Babushka a hug. That thought was the happiest I had since Kate had died. I walked over to Dead and looked through the pages of the album. The first photo was my sisters and I's first bilini ever! Mom, Deda, and I all hugged each other tightly.

It has been five joyful years since my Mom had been taken. Anya lives a very eco friendly life,  accompanied by her two kids, a boy and a baby girl. We still lived in the same apartment, Anya moved to the suburbs of Moscow. I was now 22 years old and still living with my Mom. I still work at Ideal'nyy, being the head chef! Ever since Babushka had died, Deda has turned into a neat freak! Cleaning any spot that has dust or dirt. I held my baby and walked to the car. Anya's family were already in the mini van along with my Mom. I jumped in and we drove for hours to get to the beautiful Datcha! This summer is finally going to be normal one!

It has been five joyful years since my Mom had been taken. Anya is living a very eco life with her son and daughter in the outskirts of Moscow. I got a loan to start my own restaurant. Opening Day was today and the name was Vsye Rossiya. Which in the Russian language meant ‘All Russian’. Just like the name, the restaurant will serve all things Russian. Black bread, borscht, caviar, blini, pelmeni. The worst part of having a restaurant with foods that Russia is known for is… Tourists! I did my last sweep around the restaurant making sure everything was perfect then exited out the front door. So many people were waiting. Calling out things like, 

“Is Vsye Rossiya going to be better than Ideal’nyy?” 

“Svitlana over here, we need some footage for the news! Svitlana please, over here!” I flipped the sign saying it was open and everyone ran in. Many orders were placed and I walked out and stood in front of the  table. 

“Privet! Welcome to Vsye Rossiya. What would you like to eat?”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.