The Life of Kiara Passwell | Teen Ink

The Life of Kiara Passwell

By Rosebudjess, Cardiff, Other
Rosebudjess, Cardiff, Other

My name is Kiara Passwell, I'm 14 years old and I live in a country called Pandoritic. Now I know what your thinking, I've never heard of that place before and you're probably about to look it up on the internet, but I'm telling you now you won't find it. You see my country is so secretive that they don't even want the rest of the world to know we exist, well the government don't anyway I'm not sure about everyone else as we never talk about it. The one thing I have wished for all my life is freedom. I never get to see my aunties, uncles or cousins. I don't even know their names or how old they are or even if they are alive or not. People in Pandoritic are not allowed to have any contact with people outside the country, if they do they will be kicked out but the government will keep a close eye to make sure you don't say a word about it, if you do you end up in prison. Thats what happened to my friend Leilua, pronounced lay-lu-ah by the way. This country is so small that its more like a city than a country and its just packed with villages and the ocasional town. I live in a village called Yeter. If your reading this then you're probably wondering how I got it outside my country. Well you see for about a fortnight the government allowed people to go out of the country to see their family but my mum and dad had no idea where the rest of my family was. So instead I decided to publish this book while I had the chance. I wanted people to know about this country. I sick and tired of being kept here like a prisoner. I was fed up with not having any FREEDOM. Anyway heres what happened in my life so far. Well as much I as remember anyway.

It's the 5th May 2002. I am 6 I loved most was the park. I got into dad's blue jeep which he doesn't use that often. The journey was 30 minutes but it felt like 3 hours, it was so annoying I just wanted to get there. When we arrived I got out of the car and before I could take another step someone put their hand on my shoulder. I turned round to see who it was. It was Hannah.
"Oh hi Hannah" I said trying to sound excited but failed.
"Hi Kiara. How are you?" She asked. Here we go why does she always try to have a long conversation when I'm busy? Now your probably thinking she only said "Hi Kiara. How are you?" How is that a long conversation? Well with Hannah she always asks how you are if she wants a long conversation. Otherwise she justs says hi, gets to the point then goes. Its literally like that.
"I'm fine you?" Even though I wasn't I just wanted her to leave I hadn't got time for this. However I didn't want to sound rude.
"I'm ok. Listen have you seen Melody lately?" She asked with a worried look on her face that had suddenly taken over.
"No not lately why?" I had a bad feeling about this.
"She hasn't been seen for 2 weeks now" she replied with a dissapointed look on her face.
"Kiara!" I heard mum's voice shout.
"I'm so sorry I have to go. I ran off to join my family.

I was playing with Eleanor. Who was my best friend and was allowed to invite along. We played a number of games on the field and the park. I looked over at mum and dad. They were having so much trouble with the blanket, the breeze just seemed to blow it out of place all the time. Man that breeze was strong it was more like wind. I could see them desperately trying to come up with a solution. Then finally the blanket had been laid out. I ran to where mum and dad was. Saves them having to call my name. Eleanor wasn't far behind although I could tell she wanted to stay on the swing for longer. We had a selection of sandwiches there were too many for me to remember. Why on earth did mum pack so many? Theres only four of us.
"I want to go on holiday" I declared. I wanted to say this for weeks but I waited till now because I thought this would be the best time. My parents looked stunned. They stared at each other with a look that said "should we tell them?". Yes you should I thought. Then mum turned to face me.
"Kiara darling. No one is allowed to leave this country and no one is allowed in."
"Why? Is there a war going on or something?" I asked more confused than ever.
"No"
"Then why can't we leave the country and why can't people come in?"
"No one knows. No one ever talks about it, all we know is that it's the government's rules."

"Oh okay" I decied to leave it there. But I still found it unfair but there was nothing I could do. Then I saw a wasp flying around us. I leaped up in fear. I'd never been stung before and by what everyone says I didn't want to be either. I was most concerned about Eleanor though she had an allergy towards wasps. The wasp landed on her and stung her. I knew it had because she let out the biggest scream I'd ever heard. My heart was pounding and my stomach just kept turning upside down then back upright then upside down again and so on, which was worse because it was impossible to get used to. My vision blurred as tears entered my eyes. I was so worried about my friend. I couldn't see a thing then when I could we were in the hospital. The doctor came from out of the room. He wore the usual doctors outfit with the worse look I'd ever seen, on his face.
"Will she be alright?" asked dad.
"We are not sure. It hasn't been dealt with straight away so...." replied the doctor. It wasn't because we had left it too long before taking her to the hospital. The hospital was an hour away.
"So?" my dad asked worried about the response but knew he had to ask.
"She has a 50% chance of living and a 50% chance of dieing"

I waited anxiously for Eleanor's parents to call us to say how she was doing. Had she come round and her parents were so thrilled they forgot about everything else. To be honest I wouldn't blame them, I'd probably do the same thing. Or has she got worse and her parents couldn't bare to tell us. So many questions spinning around in my head. I was about to pick up the phone to call them. I couldn't wait any longer but as soon as I reached out for the phone, the doorbell rang. I got up, I litterally dragged myself to the door after all no one else could answer because dad was at work and mum was shopping, so I had no choice. I opened the door expecting it to be someone like Tia or Daniela but it wasn't. Before me stood Ryan well Ryan-James to be exact but no one calls him that. I stared at him in disbelief. He never came to see me, he rarely spoke to me even though we are next door neighbours. So what on earth brought him here now? I regarded him waiting for him to speak. Maybe he was waiting for me to greet him but I hated talking first everyone knew that. Suddenly the phone rang. Thank goodness. I couldn't deal with one more second of that silence and him just staring. I ran into the living room to answer the phone.
"Don't invite me in then!" Ryan shouted down the hall. Finally he had spoke but did he have to be so rude?
"Sorry" I replied trying to stay calm. I was trying to be in two places at once at the moment. "You can come in. Just take a seat in here" Ryan walked in so slowly it made me think how could anyone walk so slow? Tortoises are faster. Thankfully the phone was still ringing. I picked up the phone it felt warm in my hands.
"Hello?" I said.
"Hello Kiara" A voice replied. It was Rosie. Eleanor's mum. I was so glad they'd finally phoned me.
"Oh hi" I replied showing I noticed who it was. "How is Eleanor?" My heart pounded at thought of what the answer might be. She seemed cheerful but she could just be doing that not to upset me too much. Well that was adult's excuse is all the time, well most of the time.
"She's ok she will be going home later". My face lit up as if I'd just been told we were going to Horpia Park the best holiday destination in the country. I was just so happy for her.
"Thats great, thank you for letting me know".
"Its ok. I've got to go"
"Ok I'll see you later. Bye bye"
"Bye"
I hung up the phone then looked over at Ryan. What was he here for? Looking back I think he was probably just being his usual annoying self. He was known to go over people’s houses but not say why. However it had never happened to me before so at the time I didn’t think about it.

Its 25th May, May half term, I'm now 7. Me and Tony are down the beach. Tony was one of my closest friends. I've known him since I was 4. He'd invited me to go down to the beach today and I agreed seemed I had nothing else better to do. The sun's light was shining through random gaps in the clouds, the sand was warm, just right to be honest not too hot or too cold. Even though the sun was virtually blocked out it was still quite warm. The sea glistened along with the waves crashing into the rocks of the cliffs. The beach was calm, with about 2 other people apart from me and Tony on it. They were walking their dog, must be making good use of the time left because next week no dogs are allowed on the beach until october. Nothing could ruin this and I mean nothing. I stared at Tony and he returned the stare then looked back out at sea. When ever we came here we liked to just look out at sea and remember his grandad who was killed out at sea. I even remember his funeral even though it was 2 years ago now. They threw flowers, petals and flower heads into the sea as a reminder of him. They still do it now sometimes. Watching the flowers float off with petals surrounding them was just the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Even though I hated the silence I didn't dare to talk, I knew how much this meant to him and it meant a lot to me aswell but not as much as it did to him. Then out of the blue there was a loud howling noise.
"What was that?" I dared to talk after all the howl had already broke the silence.
"A howl" Tony replied in a sarcastic tone.
"Haha very funny"
"Well you asked" Tony said raising his voice just slightly.
"I meant what made the noise?"
"Well you should of said that".
"I didn't think you'd be in the sarcastic mood and I thought you'd be smart enough to work it out".
"You know me I'm always sarcastic no matter what my mood is". He was right I can't remember one time where he hadn't been sarcastic, it seems to make him feel better. However seems he was just thinking about his grandad he normally stays quiet for about half hour afterwards and doesn't become himself again until then let alone being sarcastic.
"Yeah I suppose, so what do you think made that noise?" I didn't say "what do you think it was?" because I couldn't be bothered with him saying "a howl, I already told you", I'm just not in the sarcastic mood.
"It could have been a wolf" Tony exclaimed.
"Yeah right as if. There aren't any wolves around here."
"Yeah there are."
"Where?"
"In that forest over there" I looked over towards Irisa Forest. It was located at the top of one the cliffs. It streched out for miles. The trees were dead still. However the only animals living in that forest are foxes, rabbits, badgers and bugs not wolves.
"They're isn't any wolves in that forest".
"Oh course there is".
"How do you know?".
"People have said there was an attack a hundred years ago".
"Tony. Thats probably rumours, probably just a silly story. Anyway if it did happen that was a century ago if there were wolves their still don't you think we would of heard of something more recently? Plus have you seen any?"
"No".
"Well then stop believing rumours. It was probably just a dog now that I think about it".
"Er Kiara"
"What?"
"Look" Tony pointed behind me. I turned around. There was a massive grey and white wolf, growling infront of me. My heart pounded, it was like being at a party or festival where the beat of the music runs right through you, but instead of music it was fear. Suddenly we found ourselfs running for our lifes.

We headed towards the cliff on the other side. Running as fast as a cheetah hunting for its prey. My heart pounded like a drum and my stomach twisted. I looked behind me but still kept running, hoping that the wolf would be gone but to my horror there were more. The one wolf had now become five. Some slightly bigger than the others, the biggest at the front. They were shades of chesnut brown, ash grey, ebony black and traces of snow white. I carried on running even though my legs were about to give up and I was to collapse any second. We reached the cliff. There was a bit we could climb up onto however it was difficult to get up, the rest would be easy.
"Give me a boost" I ordered Tony. Tony cupped his hands. I put one foot into his hands and he pushed me up as I grabbed the edge, scrambling as I pulled myself up. I turned round on my knees to face Tony but he wasn't facing me instead he was facing the pack of wolves. He stood still, the fear taking over his body, making it impossible for him to move. I stared down as the wolves growled at him. What should I do? What could I do?I reached out and grabbed his hand pulling him up with all the strength I had left.We then began throwing stones, sticks, pebbles anything we could find at the wolves to try scare them away. I think we may of injured one because once they finally gave up I saw one limping as it walked away.

We began to climb down the cliff which seemed like an impossible task. I guess with the fear raging through us, we forgot to think about what would happen after. Now we were basically stuck. I took my phone out of my jeans pocket. It felt warm as if it was full of life but the dull colour said otherwise. It was the dull colour that was telling the truth, this phone is 10 years old. It was my mums first and now mine for emergency calls only.
Sorry I need to stop talking about my phone but it was the first one I ever had it was quite a proud time for me. I know that seems silly and it does to me now but at the time I thought differently.
Anyway I then looked at my phone. Hope was covering my face, no wait I got that wrong, it was covering the whole of me. Then I looked at the signal bar and it felt like the hope had been washed away by a hidden ocean wave. My face had obivously given my mood away as
Tony asked “Everything ok?” worriedly. I could see the fear, curiosity and confusion in his green eyes.
“No signal” I replied.
“You can phone an emergency call service”

Continued in next novel - The life of Kiara Passwell: The School Years

I typed 345 into my phone then hit the dial button. I began to get nervous at the thought of having to speak to someone I didn’t know for the first time on a phone. The wait seemed endless the suddenly there was a voice. I can’t remember the conversation but after I’d hung up they were with us within 20 minutes. They had arrived by helicopter, the noise was deafening. They got us out of there by getting us onto the helicopter. Tony went first, I watched as he went closer to the helicopter. I heard a snap then a bang and then a splash. I had no idea what was going on. Then I registered and realised what had just happened. The wire from the thing, no idea what its called, that was lifting Tony up to the helicopter had snapped causing Tony to fall, hitting his head on the cliff then falling into the water. I can’t remember how they got me off the cliff due to being so shocked at the time my memory of that event is now almosted deleted from my head. I really do wish I could actually delete memories from my head. I have no idea what happened to Tony. His family stopped talking to me and I never saw him again. I think he may of died but I will never know as his family now live somewhere else.

Rosebudjess said...
Rosebudjess, Cardiff, Other
thank you so much i'll let u know when the next book is done i'll do ova the 6 weeks

Everlasted said...
yo rose :) Its awesome!! I've printed it and i'm reading it currently. I can't wait to get to the ending! Thnx for posting!! Luvv yahs!

Rosebudjess said...
Rosebudjess, Cardiff, Other
thank you glad u enjoyed it

alizeh said...
wow! a really beautiful story loved it...eventhough 'm not finished yet but still i'll surely read the whole book an awesome beginning yet despretly waiting for the end-alizeh

Rosebudjess said...
Rosebudjess, Cardiff, Other
thank you :)

introducingshelby GOLD, San Diego, California

"People change so you can learn to let go, things go wrong so you can appreciate them when they go right, and things fall apart so better things can fall together."
-Marilyn Monroe

By chapter one, I started loving it :D You've got talent, chica.