Catch Me If You Can | Teen Ink

Catch Me If You Can

By missunshine93, Ottawa, Other
missunshine93, Ottawa, Other

" Don't Be Afraid to Succeed"
-FAME

Author's note: This story I wrote cause I was filled with emotion. Anger, sadness, happiness, and always dreaming one day everything will be better. For me it did get better but for my character Laura, it was too late.

LAURA
Chapter 1
“First Day of School”
It’s the first day of being a junior in the city of Sunshine, Maine at Lakewood High School.
Isn’t it strange the city I live in is Sunshine but my school is called Lakewood? I’ve been living in Maine since I was 11 years old. My parents, well, that’s another story I might tell later.
Anyway I’m supposed to find a girl named Leah, she moved here with her parents from Scranton and she’s an only child. (Lucky, as soon as Kathy heard that she was pregnant she sent me to the Attic. I guess the attic is quite cozy, at least now it is.)
According to the gossip I hear Leah’s family drives really nice silver Toyota Prius.
Wait, I think I see one this could be Leah. I walk over to the car and introduce myself as a girl steps out of the car.
“Hi, I’m Laura, Laura Brown.
“I’m Leah Houston.”
“The Leah Houston, daughter of the world famous genius Connor Houston.” I say in awe.
“Um yeah I guess.”
“I’m assigned to help to get through this nightmare.”
“What’s the big deal?” “It’s just high school.”
“It’s 11th Grade, and we’re juniors.” I tell Leah I also pull Leah’s schedule out of my backpack to give to her.

“Here’s your schedule Leah.” “I’ll see you in second period.”
“Okay, thanks.”
“Oh and one more thing the lunch special today is tuna sandwiches plus the school map is on the back of your schedule.” I say with a smile.
“Thanks again.” She tells me.
I turn around and take a deep breath as I enter familiar territory, too familiar if you ask me.
Looking at my own schedule I develop a shortcut to each class in my head. First is Spanish with Señorita Carmen Sanchez. Great at least I’ll have something to look forward to.
I think my schedule is the same as Leah’s just not first period. I was hoping for a spare class so I could catch up on some sleep but like that’s ever going to happen. Maybe next year, I say as I slam my locker.
I also have to think what I’m making for dinner or is it Kathy’s turn? Don’t know and don’t care. Brief introduction Kathy is my stepmother. But I would hardly call her that. Tell you more later gotta head to Spanish. Don’t want to give Senorita Sanchez a bad impression of me on the first day. Do I? This by the way the first day usually is a long day so please be patient and bear with me here.
Gotta run.

LEAH
Chapter 2
“Second Period”

Great I take one step out of the car and someone already knows and thinks I’m great because of my dad’s achievements. This is just great.
Okay focus Leah what classes do I have.
First Period- Ceramics –Ms. Klein, Biology –Miss. Ripley, lunch then English with Mr. Hinders and finally Math with Ms. Rotham. Good thing I’m not too bad at Math, or else I would be groaning right now.
Well here it goes, I’m going in and I’m going to try to think positive even if it kills me. Gross, a spitball just landed on me. I haven’t seen a spitball since 6th grade at Jonathan Peterson Junior High. I hope boys can be more mature than this!
Laura caught up with me for Biology class. I could tell she was trying to be cheerful for me the new girl.
“Hey Leah, how was first period? Did you start making a clay pot? That’s the usual thing that Ceramics people do isn’t it?
“Well, no we just talked and discussed ideas for our clay pots; I’m planning to put a frog on mine.
“A live one?”
“No silly one out of clay, we also got our supplies list and form for our arts fee.”
“Too bad, I don’t have to pay for anything in Spanish. Maybe you should switch to Spanish?
I didn’t answer because the teacher started to speak to the class.
“Hello class, I’m Miss. Ripley, Please take out your agendas and get a textbook from the shelf and start reading pages 100-102 and doing questions 2-4b and also please do a title page. Okay, get to work. We are starting Biology with Anatomy. Please copy down the note as well as the homework, it will be checked tomorrow.” Everyone groaned. Boy, this teacher was tough and so much work on the first day.
“One more thing, the textbook you pick will be the textbook for the semester so please tell me the number of the book and get started on the work.
A boy raised his hand. “Miss. Ripley, how much is it to replace the book?”
“Forty dollars” she said and went back to writing on the blackboard and everyone that was listening gasped. I could hear people whispering “Why would someone pay that for a lousy textbook?”
I was starting to get a headache. I needed to focus on my work but I couldn’t. Guess I’ll have to do it at home.
I looked up with my hand holding my head up and this boy from the second row with sandy brown hair smiled at me. Aw, he has a gorgeous smile.
Wow, first day of school and I already have a guy looking at me. When the bell rings I gather my books and he slips me a piece of paper with his number and a note:

555-234-6789
Text me at Lunch
-Kurtis

His name is Kurtis. I love that name. I always have for some weird reason. Lunch is next, I’ll probably sit with Laura the girl I met this morning. She seems nice yet sarcastic. I give the number of my textbook to Miss. Ripley and she welcomes me to Sunshine, Maine with a sunshine smile to go with the greeting. I tell her Thanks and I put the textbook in my bag. I go to my locker and slam it after getting my lunch. Maybe I’ll bring lunch money tomorrow; I’ll see what this cafeteria has. Hope this cafeteria has daily specials like the high school I was at in Scranton- William MacPhearson High School.

LAURA
Chapter 3
“So…”
When school is over I greet Leah “So how what your first day at Lakewood High School?”
“Fine thanks.” Leah says to me simply.
“That’s awesome, in Spanish we’re made up Spanish names for each other, our first assignment is to have a phone conversation in Spanish!”
“So, I’ll see you tomorrow Leah then?
“Sure.”
Leah gets in the Toyota while I walk home. My house is about 8 or 9 blocks from the school.
I think my Dad and Kathy moved to this location on purpose, before Kathy and her sons lived on the other side of the city with all the daycares and parks. Now we all live near an elementary school, high school and pizza place. The pizza place is THE place to be for any teenager, Bob’s Pizza Place. Bob can be your best friend or your worst enemy if you cause trouble. He has a gumball machine and a couple of old school arcade games. Plus he makes the best pizza and pasta around. It’s also affordable, because most of his customers are students.
As I near my house I prep myself for what’s about to happen. Though I usually don’t know what’s going to happen. Never hurts to be on guard when it comes to Kathy.
When I walk in the door I get a million commands at once from my stepmother.
I refuse to call her “mom”.
“Laura, please set the table, change the baby and wash the dishes.” said Mrs. Brown.
“And microwave the peas.”
I respond in a sweet but sarcastic voice “Yes, your majesty and what other grueling things do you want me to do.”
“Laura, just do as you’re told”. Under my breath I whispered do as you’re told Laura, do as you’re told. I also roll my eyes because I don’t think this will ever end.
I’m mad but I do as I’m told because if I don’t my dad or my stepbrother Kurtis will give me a hard time. Jordan is hardly ever home and when he is he’ll side with his Mom.
Picking up Chrissa, I’m still sulking.
“Why do I have to take care of you eh? I feel like I’m more your mom than Kathy.”
“Ugh Kathy.” While I’m talking to Chrissa, she’s just babbling like babies do.
“I’m glad you have my dad’s eyes.” Ding Dong. “Coming” I yell downstairs.
I whisper to Chrissa to make her feel better as I answer the door.
It’s Kurtis with his duffel bag of smelly football equipment. He started football in August.
“Hi Kurtis.” Kurtis passes by me to get to the kitchen and gets a Sunny D from the fridge.
I put Chrissa in her playpen and follow Kurtis. “You could at least pretend you’re listening.” I tell him.
“If you stopped yelling all the time you might have more friends.” He said to me as he shut my hanging open mouth. I give Kurtis the evil eye as he goes upstairs.
Alex Brown (my dad) walks in.” So, how was your day Daisy?” Daisy is the nickname my dad gave me after my Uncle Todd and Aunt Theresa starting calling me the name when I was two or three.
“Um fine Dad.” I say as I head upstairs to my room.
My heart almost sinks my childhood stuffed animals are all over the floor. My favorite stuffed bear I got from my dad when I was 11 is gone. I scream “DADDD!!!” As I run downstairs and take my bear from Chrissa’s grasp while telling Dad “She, she went into my room again. You promised and she promised she wouldn’t.” Chrissa starts crying because I took “her” favourite toy.
That’s the thing with Chrissa, anything I have she wants. I tell you she is the most annoyingly cute troublesome 1and a half year old ever!
While I’m yelling at my dad he’s telling me “Calm down honey, Kathy probably forgot, you know how fussy Chrissa get around naptime.”
“Why did you have to add this baby to the family, we had enough problems without a one year old running around.” I say screaming at my Dad while holding my bear.
“Daisy, Chrissa is family. Kathy, Jordan, Kurtis and Chrissa are family.”
“No Dad, they’re your family.” With that I retreat again to my room. I slam my door shut and lock it. Yes I’m thankful I have a lock, I begged my Dad so Chrissa (or Kathy) couldn’t come in my room and no one could bug me. Secretly I also don’t want Kathy reading my diary.
I know some girls might have good relationships with their stepmothers but I just don’t.
I never have gotten along with Kathy, no matter how much I tried. I bet she didn’t try.
I’m sorry to those girls. Now excuse me I would like to sulk for a minute if you don’t mind.

I apologize for getting snappy, but once I’m in my room I feel safe inside my own four walls of privacy. I sigh and almost cry but stop myself. I really don’t think I can take this anymore. Maybe I can go live with Katie, she’s my 24 year old sister and I love her! She got to make the decision herself during the court case because she turned 18.
I just realized I didn’t have a snack and I’m not going down for dinner after that argument with my Dad. Kathy is probably telling my Dad off for not scolding me; I think that if my Dad let her I would be grounded right now. Kathy is proud of everything perfect in her life, her perfect man, perfect house, perfect car, perfect job and perfect kids. Except me and well I am not your kid Kathy, so don’t worry your little head about me.
I decide to take a stab at the Biology questions though I finished half of them.
I do need to do my title page so I work on that and vaguely remember Kurtis knocking on my door saying it’s time for dinner but by that time I’m done my homework and I’m half asleep in bed from boredom.
I fall asleep till my alarm wakes me up at 7 am for school. I don’t bother to use the snooze button. I just let myself fall out of bed and into my clothes and downstairs to breakfast.
Dad’s ironing his suit for the big court case (he’s a lawyer) and Kathy’s feeding Chrissa and drinking orange juice. I get a glass and pour myself some juice. I suspect Kurtis left already to try out for track and field. They train and meet early in the year. You won’t catch me on any teams. I’m only got as a soccer goalie or ref because I’ve been to so many of Kurtis’s games I could tell you the rules forward, backwards and sidewards. It does make good money. I once spent my whole Saturday being a ref for games and got $100.
I’m in the process of getting my Bronze’s Cross for swimming though I don’t think my school has any teams. They’re more into the guys playing the sports and the girls distracting ahem cheering the teams on.
I wear my normal jeans and t-shirt like any other school day and just as I’m about to walk out the door the expected yet unexpected thing happens. Chrissa wants to say good-bye to me and she didn’t burp herself so when she gives me a hug she burps all over my new shirt.
Kathy said” I’ll drive you.”
Kathy’s job is complicated she’s not exactly a stay at home mom. She either works from home a lot or does business trips but hasn’t been able to because of Chrissa. She has her own interior decorating business. The business is well and booming. Or so she says.
I get to school and leave Leah alone, she has other friends now. And just before first period
I hear people laughing at me including Kurtis! I also see Leah with a somewhat sympathetic look on her face.
I glare at Kurtis and rip the note off my back:

“I’m a freak”

That s what it says. “Very original” I say out loud in the hall to no one in particular, because the bell had already rung. I made it in time for Spanish, which comes and goes and I see Leah in Biology.
She whispers to me ‘Hey Laura, I’ve got to tell her something later.”
“Okay.”I whisper as Miss. Ripley shuts off the lights to show the note on the overhead projector. I get out my pen to start writing and flip to a blank page in my binder when
the PA system comes on:

“Would Laura Brown go to Student Services please?”

I gather my books and my pens and head towards the door passing by Miss. Ripley’s desk. She gave me the homework and told me to bring my backpack to the appointment with Mrs. Pidd the new guidance counselor. Mrs. Pidd happens to be my guidance counselor, she’s determined to meet and greet with all her students she’s working with.
I come to Student Services and Mrs. Pidd welcomes me in with never the less fresh flowers in her office. I think this woman is way too cheery. Her walls are covered with her volunteer awards and cheesy posters of reaching for the stars. I guess there are only a few good posters out there in the teacher stores.
Mrs. Pidd asks me a bunch of questions and I just nod my head without really opening my mouth.
I said yes and no a few times but that was about it. I probably looked at the floor a lot; I’m not exactly good at eye contact. Besides cheerful people sometimes make me feel nervous and annoyed.
You know I really hate guidance meetings unless I make them. Makes better sense to me.
I catch up with Leah at lunch to hear her news. We sit down with our lunch trays.
“Hey Laura, so you know that cute guy that sits in the second row in Biology with the sandy brown hair and the gorgeous smile?”
“Yeah.” I say then suddenly realize as my chocolate milk explodes all over me.
“Um, I do know him and no, no forget it.”
“What’s wrong with me liking him? Actually I’m dating him.”
“You’re dating my brother???”
“He’s your brother? he didn’t tell me you’re his sister.” “Or that he had a sister for that matter.” I’m thinking so Kurtis you’re also pretending that my Dad and Kathy didn’t do it.
Good for you Kurtis.
“We like to pretend we aren’t related.” Which we aren’t by blood only by my dad’s stupid marriage.
“You didn’t tell me Laura.”
“Like I said, I pretend he’s not my b-r-o-t-h-e-r, we aren’t even blood relatives his Mom married my Dad.” I blurted.
I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone we were step sibs. That was a promise I made to my Dad, keep things normal he said. Yeah Right Dad. How can I keep things normal when we go to the same high school? That’s a question I’ve often asked myself. I’ve even offered for Kurtis to go the other high school near Blackwood Estates. He would fit in there just fine with his Hollister and Abercrombie clothes.
Leah’s mom honked the Toyota. “I see you around okay “. Leah told me.
‘Yeah.” I said. “Sure”.
I walk home and slam the door shut waking up Chrissa and getting an evil eye from
Kathy.
Who cares? I stomp upstairs to Kurtis’s room and open the door without knocking.
I take Kurtis’s headphones off and don’t give him a chance to talk.
“You liar, you’re lying and dating my only friend.” I’m fuming.
“You want to know why you don’t have friends. You yell too much.”
“You think I like being stuck here with your brother, your house and your mother.”
“Plus we have to share a one and a half year old, which by the way you pretended didn’t exist. I feel the same way you do about the situation Kurtis Thomas Campbell.”
“You know what, you don’t care about anything.” And with that he put his headphones back on.
I yell one more time at his headphones. “At least I’m not a liar.”
I storm out of his room and stomp upstairs to my room. (a.k.a the Attic) taking a minute to breathe a deep breath at my door.
I’ve had to do a lot o deep breathing lately. Another thing my room is like an apartment in the sense that it’s the Attic. The attic is still used for old stuff, but I moved it so I would get at least half the room. Kathy even let me redecorate it with her discount she has at almost every home store. I also looked through her catalogues.
Kathy needed my old room for Chrissa to “be closer to her Mommy.” Oh gag. Kathy is sometimes too mushy for my taste.
I jump on my bed and hug my pillows. I’m crying but I don’t care. I open my secret nightstand drawer and pull out of the picture of Katie and me. The picture was taken
a couple days before the court case.
As I lay flat across my queen size bed the memories start coming back to me. As if it happened yesterday and not 6 years ago. I can still hear the judge’s words echoing in my ears. I guess that kind of thing you don’t forget.

“Full Custody given to Marie Reynolds for her Daughter Laura Brown, Katherine Brown
can choose who she wants to live with because she’s reached legal age.”

Katie hates her full first name and her last name. Well my Dad’s last name anyway.
She’s since taken my mom’s name.
Katie chose to live with my mom and so Dad got custody of me. The judge thought the matter through and did give permission for to happen since Katie lived with my mom while finishing college. I believe my parents wanted to wait till I was done high school to split but something cracked in my mom one day and it needed to be done sooner. Eight years sooner to be exact.
Katie now lives with her boyfriend Danny. Don’t worry they’re getting married soon or at least I hope they are. I don’t think they can afford it. They want to pay for most of the wedding because my parents mainly split because of money issues. My dad had to give up his dream when he married Kathy. I can tell he regrets it.
I remember my sister telling me as she gave me a free credit card wired to her account.
“Only for emergencies”. She said.
Well it’s not an emergency yet Katie. Not yet.
I fell asleep and missed dinner. That’s okay I wasn’t really hungry. I woke up at 3 am.
My stomach started making noises but I ignored it.
I’m so glad my Dad installed a wireless for my laptop in my room. I think I also have a phone jack on the wall somewhere that I don’t use because I have a cell phone.
Leah was on IM.

Little _Lady_ Leah_ Loves_ U:
Hi Laura,
Kurtis talked to me. Now don’t delete this message. I want to talk to you.
I’m right by my phone and computer. Don’t worry about waking anyone up
I have my phone on vibrate.
-leah

Laura_rock_star_girl:
Um Hi, look I don’t feel like talking. I’m upset and I miss my sister. I don’t know what to do.

Just then my laptop turns off. Low Battery it says. Shoot.
Then Leah texts me.

I got your im. U OK?
Didn’t no u had sis?

I text her back.

g2g 2 bed

But before I go to bed I decide to plug in my laptop for one then e-mail Katie.

To: katie.reynolds@gmail.com
From: laura_rockstar_girl@gmail.com
Subject: Missing You

I miss you a lot and I’m thinking about you and I’m upset. I need you Katie.
Love,
Daisy
P.S Has Danny proposed yet?

After e-mailing Katie I managed to fall asleep eventually. I was really tired I had to hit the snooze button a few times in the morning. And hear Kathy yelling upstairs for me to get up. Typical, if it’s anyone else’s fault but mine she’ll give me a ride.
Now you might not believe me but Kurtis out of all people in my family came in stepped gingerly over my mounds of stuff and yanked me out of bed on the floor and said three words:
“Toast is ready.” And he left. I didn’t really have time to react; I realized I was on my floor
and my company was the million dust bunnies that I refused to vacuum. I don’t like cleaning very much. Dad pays me to clean the house but not my room. It’s all fine by me.

When my Dad started calling me Daisy the name caught on. My sister and my mom know me as Daisy. Don’t ask me to talk about my mom though because I won’t.
I decide I would get back in bed and fake sick in order to stay home. I wrapped my covers around myself.
When I woke up it was 8:20 am. My school starts at 8:05 am. I started to get up to go to the bathroom to realize I was actually sick. My head felt like a ton, I felt hot yet cold, I was having shivers and worse I had just started my period yesterday. Every bone in my body ached. My eyes also hurt; my headache was developing into a migraine.
I went back to bed figuring that my Dad or Kathy already called my school after feeling how hot I was on my forehead.
When the phone (that I never use) rang I put my pillows over my head and my ears started ringing and my head started throbbing.

When Kurtis got home he dumped my Biology homework on the coffee table. Boy, I got him back for laughing at me. He was certainly surprised when I texted him to pick up my homework or at least my Biology work. I murmur thanks and continue watching cartoons. I didn’t really do anything that day. I didn’t throw up but I definitely had a fever. I slept till 1pm. My school lets out at 3:05 pm.

Kurtis starts talking to me “You know I’m sure you haven’t always been like this the way your Dad calls you Daisy all the time. I turn off the T.V quietly and start ranting at Kurtis.
“I was sick today; I had a headache that turned into a migraine, a fever and my period.”
“You’ve been screaming at me and my family ever since you got here, you have no respect and… I was just able to cut in when Kurtis continued again.
“You made it seem like I’m the bad guy, you telling, Leah I lie a lot.”
“Well it’s the truth; I wouldn’t tell her if it wasn’t true, I’ve lied to her once you’ve lied a million times more.”
Then I got so mad I hit Kurtis right square in the nose. I saw a drop of blood go from his nose to the carpet. Uh Oh I’m thinking, knowing Kurtis I’ll be pinned to the floor soon.
But good thing I know his weakness if he does start to pick a fight with me.
Before I could apologize he and I were fighting, fists, feet and all.
When Kathy came home from grocery shopping she saw me on Kurtis’s back. Kurtis and I froze.
Kathy said “Oh good you are both getting along “and she walks to the kitchen. As soon as she’s out of the room Kurtis and I are at it again.
When Jordan gets home from college basketball to do his laundry he finds Kurtis and me punching away and tries to intervene.
“Enough.” He says.
I back away and wipe the blood from my nose and look at Kurtis. I did this, I thought.
I hurt the best quarterback at Lakewood High School.
I go to the hallway mirror and I don’t recognize myself. I see bruises, a black eye and the blood. At first I thought, this isn’t real but as I tenderly touch my face a dose of reality hits me. I just had a total fist and feet fight with my brother.
I decide to go to Leah’s without telling anyone. I practically run to her house which is 5 blocks from my house. I ring her doorbell and her Mom answers.
“Hi, Mrs., Houston Is Leah around?”
“Yes, she is. She’s upstairs. But what happened to you honey, do you want me to take a look?”
“No, thanks Mrs. Houston I’m fine.”
Shoot I should have figured to go to Leah’s back door or climbed the tree to her window.
I forgot Leah’s mom is a nurse.
She is one of the sweetest most caring adults I’ve met while living in Sunshine.
I go upstairs to Leah’s room and start talking “Leah, I really need to talk to you.”
I nearly throw up. There’s Leah in her bedroom with Kurtis. They both stare at me before I say something to Leah.
“Leah I need to talk to you –alone.” I say as I look at Kurtis. He stands up and says
“I’m not leaving.”

I tell him calmly “I’m not yelling or fighting in my best friend’s house.”
“Why” he said.” You’ll yell anywhere else maybe you should go somewhere to cool off.”
I stop to take a deep breath before Mr. and Mrs. Houston show up at Leah’s door.
“What is going on here?” Mr. Houston asks as he see’s Kurtis’s face, my face and the face of Leah, she’s practically crying. She hates fights of all kinds, even tackling in football sometimes.
I decide to get out of there and fast. I dodge past Mr. and Mrs. Houston leaving them in bewilderment. I can’t get their faces out of my head, Kurtis’s or Leah’s. I did that, I caused that pain. I can’t believe I did this.
I remembered for some reason I had Katie’s credit card in my pocket. I decided to take a leap of faith. I flip my cell phone open and call Katie.
“Hello...”
“…….”
“Hello, who is this?”
“Hi Katie, its Laura I need to get out of here.” I say rather rushed as I’m walking home.
“Calm down Laura, where are you?”
“Burke Street, two blocks from Dad’s house.”
“Okay get a taxi to the airport and I’ll meet you at the airport here in Reno. Okay?”
“Okay Katie, thanks.”
“Just let me know when your flight is coming in.”
“Thanks.”
“Bye, see you soon Daisy.” said Katie. It made me smile. My Dad is starting not to call me Daisy anymore. No he doesn’t call Chrissa Daisy either. He calls Chrissa, Cupcake. He’s starting to get all mushy over Chrissa just as Kathy does. He is really getting on my nerves, my last nerves to be exact.
Anyway I snuck into my bedroom by climbing the tree in the front yard. Jordan almost saw me but I made it just in time.
I grabbed some books, my bible, t-shirts, sweatshirt, my bear that my Dad gave me, my jeans and converses. I hesitated about bringing my laptop but packed it anyway. I put everything in my backpack. I also grabbed all my money- $82.56. It pays to save all your babysitting money.
Not a lot but enough for a taxi hopefully. I was ready to go. I climbed down the tree again and started running down the street. Good thing Jordan is the only one home. I imagine Kurtis is still with Leah explaining the bruises and his black eye on his face, letting Mrs. Houston look at them, cleaning them properly.
Dad is working on a case at his office and I don’t know where Kathy is and I don’t care.
Chrissa’s probably with her though.
I phoned a taxi company from the gas station pay phone box and the driver drove me to the airport.
I paid him $50 and went to the doors. I’m glad he didn’t ask any questions.
I went to the booth to buy my ticket and sighed.
“One ticket to Las Vegas airport please.” My sister will meet me there and drive me to Reno.
“Is this card yours?” the lady behind the desk said questioning me.
“Yes it’s my first time using it.”
That’s the truth my sister did give it to me to use.
“Alright one ticket to Vegas.”
“Thanks.”
I was on my way to the terminal then two people that wanted the flight I was on can’t go because there’s only one seat left. So I sold my ticket, they gave me $20 for my trouble and said thanks. They look like the kind of people that are eloping in Vegas. About three years older than me. Boy, not many people ask questions do they.
I bought another ticket for the next flight but didn’t see the time on it till it was too late.
My flight is at midnight.
Right now it’s 9:03 pm and the janitors are coming out to clean the floors and everyone is getting their evening/late night coffee.
With the extra $20 I have I buy a medium hot chocolate and a donut. I sat down on a bench and I ate. I sipped my cocoa and scratched the card I got. I had won a free cookie which I decided to get right away. It would keep me up and go nicely with the rest of my hot chocolate. I read some of my book and my bible while waiting for the flight. I called Katie because she’s 3 hours behind in time. It’s 10:00pm. (my time which means 7pm her time).
“Hey Katie, its Laura my flight’s at midnight.
“Your time or my time?”
“Mine Katie, anyway I switched tickets with someone, got $20 and now I’m eating some food.”
“ So I’ll see you later then.”
“Sorry. Katie.”
“It’s okay you don’t run away every day.” Katie says.
“It’s not running away when someone knows where you are.” I tell her.
“True, okay so Reno airport.”
“Yep.”
“Bye.”
“Oh Katie...”
“Yes.”
“Thank You”
“You’re welcome Daisy.”

You know did I tell you that my Dad gave my sister a nickname? No well it’s Sunflower.
Yeah my Dad seems to like having nicknames for his girls. Nope, Katie doesn’t use her nickname because she hasn’t spoken to my Dad since the breakup of him and my mom. But I don’t want to talk about my mom. (I know I’ve said it a million times, but it’s not going to happen.)
“Flight to Reno ready to leave, flight to Reno.” The intercom said.
I grab all my stuff and head for the terminal. I get through airport security, getting my bag checked and head to where the plane is loading.
Everything that has happened during the past few days and even years, everything that has happened in Maine is coming to my mind and becoming a blur. I had my carry on bag and decide to drown out my thoughts with a CD I had been given by someone a while ago. To me everything but Kurtis’s and Leah’s faces from 3 and a half hour ago disappeared. I take my seat and fall asleep with my headphones resting in my ears.

When I woke up on the plane I forgot where I was at first, then I remembered. I didn’t fall into a deep sleep because I could hear the turbulence vaguely, and I could feel my ears popping when we took off. But then I thought I must have missed the landing. I checked my watch. Just to make sure I decided to ask someone.
“Excuse me.” I said to this girl maybe a year older than me across the aisle.
“Yeah .” Said the girl.
“I was wondering if I missed the landing of Reno?”
“Um no.” she said rather rudely and she got up and went down the aisle.
”Thanks.” I call after her.
I gather my carry on and wrap my CD player up and go down the aisle and off the plane.
Making sure I got everything and I didn’t leave any trash from the snack I bought on the plane. I got just one of those pretzel snacks and a juice box. Cost me almost $4.
Okay I need to find my suitcase then find Katie and get out of here. Just then my stomach grumbled. Get something to eat too. Those pretzels weren’t enough. I think I have enough change for a burrito or sandwich.
I get my suitcase and I see Katie, practically running to her. I hug her briefly and she tells me “I’m glad you called. Tell me everything after you eat something.”
She hands me a sandwich.
“With mayo just the way you like it.” I guess she knew that when I’m upset I don’t eat a lot.
I smile thanks and carry my bag to Katie’s car. Danny- Katie’s boyfriend takes my suitcase to put in the trunk. I get into the back seat and put my seatbelt on. This strangely feels like a vacation. Now I’ve never met Danny before this moment and in the first minute of meeting him, he’s a gentleman. Better than some guys I know- Ahem Kurtis Campbell.
No matter. When I get to Katie’s home I fall asleep in my clothes realizing I didn’t pack pajamas or toiletries. Oh well I‘ll borrow some from Katie or go to Wal-Mart. I fell into dream land.

KURTIS
Chapter 4
“Upset”

I was hanging out with Leah at her house and I had a million questions about Laura to ask Leah, since Leah is closest to Laura. Laura didn’t let anyone in my family near her so I couldn’t get to know her.
“Can I ask you a question Leah?”
“Sure Kurtis what?”
“Did I do something wrong to deserve this?”
“No Kurtis I’m sure she’s just upset…” I cut Leah off.
“Upset, I’m the one that’s upset; I’ve had to be the peace barrier wall.”
“Kurtis she’s had a lot to handle.”
“She’s had a lot to handle, what about the rest of us, she ditched you on the second day of school, yelled at me, yelled at my mom, made my baby sister cry and told the family secret to you.”
Leah stands up and starts ranting. “First of all Kurtis I have other friends you don’t have to protect me all the time, you don’t seem like the most patient person in the world and I can see you get it from your mom and babies cry Kurtis it’s a fact of life.”
“What about the family secret?”
“You think I’m going to tell anyone? You don’t trust me?”
“Of Course I do it’s just we promised. Laura and I promised our parents. My mom and Alex wanted things to be as normal as possible. The plan failed. It’s lucky it didn’t go to anyone but you.”
That’s when Leah starts to cry. She sometimes can be very emotional.
“Leah, please don’t cry..”
“I hate fights I hate them especially between me and my best friends.” Leah sobbed to me.
I hugged Leah close and she made my shirt wet but I didn’t care. I didn’t care about anything but making Leah happy by getting Laura to come home. I whispered to myself,
You messed up big time Laura.
I wish I had noticed sooner Laura’s behavior then I could have told Alex that Laura needed a shrink. Then again teens at Lakewood High School don’t even like guidance appointments. What makes adults think we would like a shrink? One thing is for sure things have defiantly got out of hand.

EAH
Chapter 5
“Missing You”

TO: laura_rock_star_girl@gmail.com
From: little_lady_leah_loves_u@gmail.com
Subject: Missing You

Hey Laura,

Please, please come home. I’m lonely and I need my best friend. Who tells the best jokes and has the best laugh? You do.
Who met me on the first day of school?
And who …

I’m crying now …
Who stood by me no matter what I was feeling.
You did.
Love, lea bee

P.S Your Dad misses you and so does the rest of your family. Kurtis tells me that Chrissa asks where you are everyday. Laura, it’s almost as if you don’t exist anymore. I’m begging you to come home. Your Dad is willing to talk to you about professional help. I love you, you’re my best friend and I don’t want anything to happen to you. Forgot about the stupid stuff Kurtis tells you. I admit he can be stupid but he also can be sensitive.

This book has 1 comment.

kurtis.m.russell, Zama-shi, Other

But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell. We'll tell you that, uh, Kojak always gets the killer, or that nobody ever gets cancer at Archie Bunker's house, and no matter how much trouble the hero is in, don't worry, just look at your watch; at the end of the hour he's going to win. We'll tell you any shit you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here. You're beginning to think that the tube is reality, and that your own lives are unreal. You do whatever the tube tells you! You dress like the tube, you eat like the tube, you raise your children like the tube, you even *think* like the tube! This is mass madness, you maniacs! In God's name, you people are the real thing! *WE* are the illusion! So turn off your television sets. Turn them off now. Turn them off right now. Turn them off and leave them off! Turn them off right in the middle of the sentence I'm speaking to you now! TURN THEM OFF...

I liked this but it's ironic, my name is kurtis and i used to date a girl named leah