Finn's Regret | Teen Ink

Finn's Regret

By ironsidegirl GOLD, SEATTLE, Washington
ironsidegirl GOLD, SEATTLE, Washington

\\\And then, something happened. I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.\\\ Chuck Palahniuk

Author's note: This piece was born out of my own feelings for a person I love dearly but our relationship has never been easy.

Her lipstick smudges polka dot my body like bright red bruises, flags of the trembling encounter just so recently past. I can hear the patterned sound of her brushing her teeth, looking in the mirror haughtily and cute, but even I can spot the sadness in those big, blue eyes. Her spit slips down the mildewed drain as I pull the covers over my head. I find the first moment I laid eyes on my love, the moment shining like a chalice in the dark cave I’ve grown accustomed to storing our few glorious moments together. I remember that night more than any in my entire bleak existence, bleak that is until that special night.
Her heels wobbled slightly as she staggered a New York runway, her eyes sparkling and cheeks flushed from one too many champagne and sedative. Never before had I seen anyone more beautiful, and shining with a brighter fire than she was at that moment. I found myself hypnotized, watching the snap and twitch of her hips as she strutted down that catwalk and reaching the end, flashed the most brilliant grin I had ever laid eyes upon. It was then that I remembered to pick up my camera. Any girl, radiant enough to distract me, the self-acclaimed fashion photographer guru, had to be an absolute treasure. It was then, surrounded by hundreds of A-list beauties and Somebodies, that I decided I had to have this girl. No matter what it took, my eyes were devoted to their own personal goddess, and she would be mine. That was seven years ago, if only I could have perceived what I had gotten myself into.
My soft laughter breaks my daydreams like church glass, I can almost hear the sound of my fantasies chattering to the ground like the tears of a rainbow. Her spit slips down the drain along with the last essence of cheer and joy that I had been holding on to. Gazing at the peeling, rosebud wallpaper I count her slow deliberate steps behind me. She tip-toes out of the bathroom 1...2…3, picks up her purse 4…5…6, and stops by the bed. I can smell her contempt and sorrow in the air. I would do anything to make her say something, anything. The creak of the door opening, and all I can hear is silence. From behind me comes a small, tear laced breath and my heart catches, then the click of the door and her footsteps echoing as she runs down the hallway, and away from me.
Letting lose my breath in a profound exhale, I realize I’ve been holding it all this time. With the release comes a tear, unguarded and lacking of humility, the discreet crying transforms into caricatured sobs. On the packed down, dirty carpet I weep for the very moment in which she stepped upon that stage, I weep for letting her go when I had even the smallest fraction of a chance, and most of all I weep because she does not love me. I let her go when instead I should have held her ever so tight. I count the rosebuds, two-hundred ninety-two by three-thousand one-hundred ninety-two and a half, but by then I’ve decided that I hate this stupid wallpaper and the way the filthy, hotel room carpet digs into my cheek like gravel. I grab the table edge and pull myself onto my own, wobbly legs like a fowl learning to walk again. In all haste, I rush to the bathroom from which she left so empty. A splash of frigid water puts my nerves on edge, everything seems crisper. My reflection in the water-spotted mirror leaves me standing like stone. Who am I?
Out of the corner I catch an unfortunate glimpse of a dreary ghost from recent past. A little, black and gold tube, standing like a monument to all things treacherous and soaked in grief rested on the sink counter. How could she do this to me? Has she not caused enough suffering already? I pick up the lipstick and fling it across the room, then quickly sweep the blemished paper cup into the garbage can. Sliding to the yellow grout and tile floor, I seem to have forgotten why I had felt in such a rush to leave and am hit by an overwhelming ocean of nostalgia.
The most impactful thing about her was those lips. She knew just the right thing to say to leave you completely stunned, and in a flash she’d turn and walk away. Out of those lips came the most dependable comforts, just listening to her voice was like being held in your mother’s arms as a young chap. I would sit and listen to her speak for hours but she had a side to her that she liked to pretend didn’t exist. She could be nasty, her dagger words piercing through even the toughest blokes’ skin. My apartment was always littered with the special lacey tissues that she insisted on buying, and upon each one would be a perfect little print of her fire red lips. Her kisses were absolutely inebriating, and would send you into a high better than any drug. She always tasted of cherries and my mouth was always marked with her red flags, seeming to shout that I was her territory, yet I never did mind.
I pull myself onto my precarious legs and grasp for the medicine cabinet. The pleasing popping noise echoes throughout the bathroom, and I pursue something, anything really, that will be of use. I know I can always count on her to leave a bottle or two of prescription something in the cabinet after she has left, actually it was one of the few things I ever could rely on her for. I pull out the orange bottles, fitting ever so perfectly in my hand and begin to read through labels. Olanzapine, Diazepam, and Alprazolam; the latter would be quite sufficient. The little purple capsules fall out in my hand like a smattering of candies. I cross the threshold of the bathroom and back out into the main room with its foul wallpaper. Trudge to the mini-fridge by the window and pull out a beer. I pop the cap on a small, plain desk and swig down the purple presents. Staggering, I make my way to the bed in hope of catching some sleep and plop face down in the center of the rustled bed.
Yet sleep does not grace me even in this boozed, and altered bliss and I drift in a twilight realm where old agonies wear sugar-coated masks; drawing you in to play their torture games. In a searing light I find myself in a different time, a different place than that in which my body rests.
Making my way through a long hallway, the kind of hallway you only walk through to find the bathroom at a wine and cheese type party. The photographs hung on the walls in oak wood frames depicting what would seem to be a happy, normal family. The wedding photo, a family portrait, and an empty spot where the wall is discolored in a distinct rectangle depict what most would have believed to be happy. I know that at the time, I had never paid much due to these curious photographs, so now as I blip through memory, I cannot see the faces of those forgotten crusaders.
My bare feet brush against the thick, mahogany carpet and I find myself nearly running to reach something, to tell someone; something. Skidding to a stop, my tanned knuckles turn white as I grip the corners of the end of the hallway. A glimpse of her hair, deep black and waist long, and one of her dainty, pale wrist trailing behind her as she slips away from me for the first time all over again.
With a searing radiance, I again am drowning in the pools of remembrance. This next memory is clearer, and more recent. I’m standing in my bedroom in my London apartment, late at night. The digital alarm clock on my bedside table flashes 1:27am. The only light is coming from the adjoining bathroom where I can hear crashing and the loud, messy sound of her sobbing. I edge my way into the doorway, peering in at her. She’s bent over the sink, struggling to open a florescent orange, medicine bottle. Her clothes and hair are in disarray. Leaning back, she pops the little pill and that is when she notices my looming presence in the doorway. She acknowledges my presence by ripping off her opal engagement ring and chucks it right at me. As I hear it bounce off my shoulder and clatter to the tile, my whole body quakes with anger and even as I know what I’m about to do I find that I cannot stop it, I cannot take it back.
The force of me striking her causes my poor, beloved angel to collapse upon the dirty, peeling linoleum floor and never will I forget the look in her eyes as she regarded me from the floor where she had fallen. It was a sadness, a disappointment almost touching on pity. It was in that second, the sound of my palm against her cheek ringing through the air, that I knew this time I had lost her for good. I found myself frozen in horror, I had just lost my one and only true love. She collected her scattered belongings, tucked her bag upon her shoulder, and pushed past me. I turned to watch her hobble out of my apartment for the last time, after that I had known that everything had changed for good. Crawling to the tub, I felt the emptiness bleeding out inside of me. Climbing in and turning on the faucet, I feel water flowing over my jeans, tee shirt, and finally over my face.
It was almost two years before I saw her again, and in that time she had found herself a new last name. The fellow was a nice man, but dumb and the look in her eyes told me that she was no longer the woman that had needed me. The meet up had left me nearly catatonic for weeks. I awoke to the sounds of my own tears, a pool of precipitation soaking into my pillow. What had been a bright, morning sunshine when I had drifted had morphed to a dim, late evening glow during my slumber. Untangling myself from the soaking sheets, I clambered for my cellphone. Fumbling with the buttons, I manage to find the main screen. It alerts me that I have one new voice mail. It’s from her.

Lying on my back, gazing at the speckled ceiling. Ants. Yes, that’s what I suppose those little specks look like, swarms and swarms of little worker ants desperate to feed their beloved queen. I know how they feel. I’ve listened to her message so many times I’ve lost count and my phone itself seems to think me pathetic. My stiff neck screams of the hours I’ve lien here in this rock hard, spring mattress. The little crackle of my neck popping bounces in the abandoned chamber. A transitory glance at the cracked, analog clock hung high upon the wall, leaves my face twisted in a tight grimace. I’ve missed checkout, which means that I will have to suffer this horrid room another night instead of going back to the city as I had planned. Another night of looking on at that stupid, ugly wallpaper forced upon me. My sigh is consumed by the empty space, well the least I can do is call for some fresh bedding and grab a bite to eat.
Getting up proved to be a far greater challenge than I had expected, for the moment my feet brush the putrid green carpet, I can feel her thumb slide down my neck, and her labored breathing tickling my ear. I find myself captivated by this sweet delusion and I would do anything to never let this moment slip away. Then her hand goes cold, and then disappears altogether. My rigid breath resonates throughout the room and my head falls into my hands.
I want to listen to her message one more time, perhaps this is the time it will become more opaque. You have – one – saved message. Saved message: BEEeeeep. My heart skips a beat as the beginning of her message hangs in the air, waiting for her to speak.
“…Finn, I…I just…I have so much that I need to say but none of the right words to express any of it. Last night was…a mistake, a pleasant one but a mistake all the same. I love Jerry. You are…the worst thing ever to happen to me. Goodbye Finn.” BEEeeeep.
The sound of her voice, which I yearn to watch tumble from her lips, is not the voice of the nineteen year old starlet that I met walking the runways, head floating above her in a cloud of French wine and Quaaludes. Instead, she had developed the worn voice of a survivor. I suppose that in the end that is all we really accomplished, surviving each other. Tossing my phone across the table, it hits the wall and crumbles into a million pieces. Oh well, I’m done with it anyway.
The crash sets me in motion. With a push of my feeble legs, I’m standing and I survey the room for my pants. Instead I cross my crumpled Polo in a ball underneath my pillow and shake it from its misshapen form. I hate wrinkled clothing, but the complimentary iron is in the bathroom and I cannot bring myself to reenter that pocket of her. I choose to suffer my wrinkled shirt, oh how Ralph Lauren would cringe.
Clothing was always so important to her. I remember a time when times were good, I was lying on my bed, breathing in the scent of the lavender fabric softener that she always used. I wouldn’t have admitted it but I loved that smell as much as, if not more, than she did. Once she switched to some lemon crap but after a polite mention or so on my part, she kindly switched it back. But on this night, she entered the room from our master bath and my breath caught in my throat. She had a bare face and had let loose the tight bun she had been sporting that day so that her hair fell in long, black ringlets down to her waist. Behind her dark wave of bangs, her eyes shone a bright, sapphire blue and her bottom lip stuck out in the most perfect pout. Her shoulders and waist were dainty as well as her wrists and ankles, she looked like a statue of Aphrodite. She wore a 50’s style pink, satin slip with ivory lace and her legs stood tall and tanned beneath her. Lit up by my bedside lamp, I watched as she slinked to the foot of the bed and…
She would just hate to see me now, in my creased shirt and ratty boxers. I find my jeans tucked beneath the wheeled, hotel bed and pull them on. I fasten the belt and pause to acknowledge that I am now a notch smaller than I was six months ago. I hadn’t found my appetite quite as vigorous as of late. Picking up the receiver, I quickly informed the maid of my needs and specifications as quickly as able. Then grabbing my room key, I silently slip out of the room, the door clicking shut behind me.
The hallway is nothing memorable but I know that I will never be able to forget it. Thick, gloppy sludge in a cream sickle color is painted upon the walls, and the popcorn ceiling is a baby powder, blue. Thinning carpet leads me down the hall, upon it an atrocious, daisy pattern. The whole room gives me a prickling sense of nausea and my stomach growls at me. I quicken my pace, and it isn’t until halfway down the stairwell that I discern the absence of my shoes. Yet even that cannot chase an accumulated feeling of cheer in my gut and I walk my way out into the lobby.
The space drips with silence, and for a moment I am concerned. Then I spot the staff member I seem to have been looking for. He is a grotesquely fat, middle aged man who stands approximately 5 3’. A stain oozes on his tee shirt and something about him tells me that this isn’t a seldom occasion for such slobbery. When he speaks his voice reminds me of a donkey’s bray, “What happened to your shoes?” he squawks. I just smile the brightest smile that I can muster and shrug my shoulders.
It is than that I happen to catch a glimpse of myself in the gilded mirror hanging behind the service counter. My sandy blond hair is matted with sweat and grime, and is sticking up in all sorts of unruly directions. My eyes are swollen red and crusted with some sort of salty grit. My oily skin catches in the harsh, florescent light and my rumpled, navy shirt seems to make my appearance all the more so tragic. A grunting breaks my connection with the spook in the mirror. I look up at the irritated little man and take a moment to wonder what path of chance has led him to be here, looking upon my tonight. He glares at me until he impatiently snaps, “Can I do something for you, Sir?” he tacks on that last word as if substituting an obscenity, and I can feel the pure hostility leaching from him. Kindly I ask for him to direct me to the bathroom to freshen up, he offers a grunt and a point. I nod and smile, then turn as his face twists into a scowl.
I push my way into the men’s room and laugh at my reflection. Splashing water onto my face and running my hand through my hair, I am struck by repeated bouts of laughter. I lean on the cool, porcelain sink looking at my shaking hands and wonder whether I will ever feel whole again. One, warm tear glides down my cheek and I brush it away with my thumb. I smile at the man in the mirror, he smiles back. I release the sink, brush my shirt, and shake out my hair. Pleased to see more of my old self back, I leave the bathroom, watching my bare feet pat across the tile as I go.
After I order a gin and tonic from the grumbling employee, I collapse into a creaky armchair in the corner of the lobby. Pinching the bridge of my nose in an effort to suppress the headache I can feel building in my brow, I take the moment to examine my surroundings. The room is an undefinable shape, it has a lumpish quality that it lends to just about anything inside of it. The color scheme must have been designed by a blind catholic school teacher, and leaves the onlooker quite dizzy. I rest my head on the arm of the chair, and close my eyes to focus on my breaths; one after another.
The sound of waves of oxygen flowing in my head, I dip into a nice serene feeling, and for once I am not thinking of her at all. The shuffling of feet shatter my accumulated bliss. My head still resting upon the chair, I open my eyes in little slits to see the disgruntled man looming over me, fidgeting with his shirt hem with one hand and holding out my drink with the other. Nearly flinging it upon my lap, he takes the opportunity to shuffle away.
The sweaty glass is frigid in my hand, ice clinking in my unsteady hand. Taking a shallow sip, the beverage tastes of soap and disappointment. My mind begins to build my dream world in alcohol soaked sadness. In this dream I never hit Lenna and she never left me that last time. Instead she made it big and we relocated to Paris. We would live in a big flat overlooking the Parisian bay, the house was whit with a little wrap around terrace. On that terrace we had hung an oak bench swing and we would sit there, holding hands and drinking expensive Italian wine and we would smile and laugh together. I can almost see her smile, but in a blink my fantasy world is gone. No terrace, no sailboat studded bay, only one short message on a destroyed phone and a building sense of regret.
Taking a drink, my swallow echoes like a gunshot and I cringe. I set my glass down, intent on watching the beads of sweat drip onto the wooden table, intent on leaving one ugly, water ring. This is what life comes down to, a Xanax fog and a watery cup of gin. My speculations are cut short when a gust of wind reaches out its spindling fingers to my unsuspecting skin. The bell chimes as a young woman bursts her way into the once peaceful lobby.
She is bundled in winter apparel but it is still greatly apparent, the curvaceous body that prowls beneath. Her bright orange-red hair is cropped in a sharp, short bod and her mouth stands out as her most prominent feature. Oversized lips dwarf a little, upturned Irish nose, and a spray of freckles frame her emerald eyes. Her clothes are bright colored, jewel tones and accentuate her youth; I would guess nineteen or twenty if anyone cared to ask.
“My God! What does a girl have to do to get some decent service around here?” Her voice has a clipped, nasally quality that has the habit of drawing attention. She flings her collection of mismatching luggage onto the floor beside the front door and fishes around in her oversized purse, pulling out a slightly worn pack of Gauloises. She cusses under her breath as her nearly empty Bic fails to light. Coughing, I hold out a matchbook I had found buried deep in my pants pocket. I had quit about two years ago but had never shook the habit of pocketing those complimentary matches.
A smile envelopes her face, “Thanks man.” I like her voice more and more, I imagine her speaking to me in bed, and find myself undressing her with my eyes. Her smile twitches and she turns away, pretending not to feel the smoldering look in my eyes. The phhht noise of a match running along the rough flint, is one noise that never fails to curl the corners of my mouth. She holds our one of her unfiltered, French cigarettes.
“Want a smoke, Stranger?” she coos.
I nod and take the offering, seems as good a time as any to start smoking again. I open the double, glass doors for her as we push our way out into the cold night air. My body takes in the overwhelming chill, starting at my bare feet which are ankle deep in the snow, and moving its way up my spine and to my nose. She laughs, the sound reminiscent of sleigh bells and her mouth opens wide to release the mystic sound. We laugh together.
“What in the Lord’s name happened to your shoes?” She looks right at me with those deep, beckoning eyes. I think, when was the last time a gal made me laugh? Since Lenore left me, women had become naught but pretty, little playthings. An endless stream of willing modeling talent left little to be wanted, yet there is something to be said about sharing a hearty laugh with a girl.
She holds out her hand and when I grasp it she pulls me closer to her. Inches away from my face she introduces herself, “Hi, I’m Bridget.” She rests the book of matches in my palm and turns away to take another drag. I light my own, and after filling my lungs with the sweet smoke I return the pleasantry.
“Finn,” I say, the last wisps of smoke dripping from my lips as I speak. “Nice to meet you Bridget.”
“Finn huh?” she turns to me and I can see a glint sparkle in her eye as she finishes, “that’s a funny sort of name.”
“Not at all, in fact I quite like it.” We sit down on a little, brick wall running along the hotel. Leaning back on my hands, I search the heavens for some sign. The crickets chirping and the bull frogs croaking tell me that I still have a purpose. She rests her small, soft hand upon mine. Startled, I look in her direction. She’s staring at me, the look in her eyes impenetrable. My head spinning from her staggering intensity, I turn back to the scenery in front of me.
I can never seem to shake my unadulterated adoration for the English countryside. Perhaps that is the reason I happened to choose this heap on the outskirts of some, nondescript English town. My eyes drink in the beautiful thickets of weeping willows and the closer encampment of wild, untended yellow roses and I wonder if I will ever bring myself to leave this place. There’s fog in the distance, cloaking the rolling hills like an expensive, silk scarf. Little, tapered clouds drift across the generally clear sky, stars shining like pinpricks in a big, black piece of paper.
I can hear her sigh and I look over out of the corner of my eye. Through my eyelashes I can see her profile, backlit by a candle light sconce next to the hotel entrance. I twist my cigarette butt into the brick. Reaching behind me, I pick a daisy out of the window box, and tuck it behind her fragile, pointed ear. She looks over, a pleasantly confused expression lacquered on her face.
“You are a man of few words, Finn. I like you,” Her face scrunches as a smile threatens to turn her lips.
“I have no words to describe tonight,” I look back at the mist in the distance.
“Why are you here Finn?” her voice ends on a dejected note. I turn and look intently into her deep, glass green eyes. First our foreheads touch, then our lips soon follow. I feel her wet tears against my cheek and can hear the scratch of my unshaved jaw against her milky smooth face as we kiss, feeding each other the strength that we cannot find on our own. Mingling tastes of tobacco and honey, her lips molding to fit mine. I draw back and put my finger to her lips.
“My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand. To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.”

I stand looking at the sunrise through the little window in my hotel room, smoking another one of her Gauloises. Mesmerized by the orange and pink horizon, I watch as my smoke fills the windowsill. My heart slows as two silk arms wrap around my waist, her bare torso soft against my back. Her head rests upon my shoulder as she exhales a satisfied sigh.
“I promised myself I wouldn’t fall for you.” A long silence hangs in the air, cutting to me like a knife and I do all that I can to make sense of the jumble in my head. But then, all of that doesn’t matter because I have my cigarette, and the beautiful sherbet colored countryside, and because wrapped around me is the key to making it out of this dark period. She traces my chest with her fingertips.
“I suppose I must have tripped.”
My cigarette ashes fall to the carpet, and burn holes in the fibers.

AugustSummerFling PLATINUM, Mylapore, Chennai, Other

'For you, a thousand times over.' - Hassan, The Kite Runner

A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.

read the first page. very well-written!! I could easily get under your character's skin n feel his emotions!! keep writing!!

JakeDamon GOLD said...
JakeDamon GOLD, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
o_0 ! very good. I loved it.