Falling for my Best Friend | Teen Ink

Falling for my Best Friend

By ecarpenter393, Iowa, Iowa
ecarpenter393, Iowa, Iowa

Author's note:

Some of this i actually went through

(Side image)

Mom is in the kitchen making breakfast for Skyler and Brandon when she hears a blow horn from upstairs.

“3,2,1,”

“BRANDON”

“Will they ever grow up?”

(Real story)

I chased Brandon down the hall and stairs. He is running for dear life because he just woke me up using a blow horn. Its 5 in the morning for crying out loud.

“I told you to wake her up not piss her off.”

I jump off the stairs and tackle Brandon to the floor “I win” I smile in victory, but my smile slowly fades away when Brandon flips us over and starts tickling me

“ARE YOU SURE YOU WON?”

“OK OK STOP HAHAHA IM SORRY NOW STOP.”

He laughs and stops tickling me.

“Breakfast!!”

Mom screams from the kitchen. Brandon and I immediately get to our feet because mom makes the best food ever. As we go to the kitchen I jump on Brandon's back.

“UGH Get of your heavy.”

He wines as I laugh, but he still carries me to the kitchen.

“Mom where is Dad?”

Dad runs his own business so he is pretty much always busy with work.

“He is on a business trip sweetheart, He won't be here for a week.”

She says as she puts our plates on the table. Yummy, Mom’s french toast. I look over to Brandon and see that he is slowly getting upset.

“He was supposed to come to the game, He promised.”

His hands were in fists at this point, until mom puts her hand on his.

“I know honey, but you know your dad is a busy man, it was very important.”

Brandon was about to argue about it, and I don't blame him. Dad never keeps his promises. He has promised Brandon about 5 times that he would go to his basketball games and he never has.

“Oh Sky, Daniel wanted me to tell you that he won't be about to pick you up this morning.”

“What why?”

“He has to pick up something before school he said it was a secret.” She says with a wink as she turns to clean up after breakfast.

I’ve known Daniel since seventh grade and have liked him ever since. I had a major thing for him after he left to go to Ohio because of his mom’s work and we got closer at that time. We would text and video chat non-stop from the time school was over to the time we went to bed which was around three in the morning because we would want to talk more. We would talk about personal things at night, just talk about how we feel and what we were thinking. I loved those talks. I held on to everything he has said. During the day we would just mess around and laugh but it's different now that he is here.

Ugh, school the bane of my existence. The only reason I go to school is to make mom happy and to hang out with my friends, other than that I hate it.

“LIEUTENANT!!!”

I hear my name from the other side of the parking lot and see Alex. She runs up to me and jumps onto me. I hold her by her waist to make sure she doesn't fall on her ass like an idiot.

“Hey Cheif, wassup?”

She laughs as I let her down.

“Pretty good my Girlfriend asked me out tonight so I can’t wait for that.”

If your asking Alex is a girl but is trans so she is a boy. I’ve been friends with him since 2nd grade. He has always been there for me in her own way. He can be mean but that is only when you either piss him off, or he is trying to protect his friends.

“So where is Daniel? He always takes you to school in the mornings?”

“Mom said he was getting something before school so I don't know where he is.”

Right after I finished my sentence I felt two strong arms wrap around my waist from behind and I knew who it was right then and there.

“Daniel where were you? What was this something you needed to get this morning.”

He smiles and rolls his eyes and kisses my forehead

“Well if you would shut that lovely mouth of yours then you would know I got you coffee and something else for later.”

He lets go of me and goes to his car and takes out a cinnamon roll frappuccino with whipped cream from Dutch Bros and a small bag with my favorite snack. I just couldn’t help but smile. He knows me so well.

“You’re the best you now that right?”

I say as I turn to face him and hugs him as he laughs.

“I know and guess what? You’re better.”

Daniel has always been like this. He always flirts. Our other friends like to tease us about how we act with each other. We act more like a couple than best friends, and to be honest I really like him.

“Sky your staring at Daniel, again.”

“I was not I was...thinking.”

I say as I blush from embarrassment hiding in my hoodie.

“Awwww Sky it’s ok.”

Daniel says holding me closer. Just the little things he does sends my heart a flutter.

“Come on you two love birds. Let's go before we are late.”

Alex teases. I start walking to the building with Daniels arm around my shoulder.

As we walk into the school everyone's eyes are on us. Girls and guys are checking out Daniel, some are checking him out in front of their partner. I just look around while Daniel glares at all the guys that are checking me out. He tightens his hold on my shoulder, not to the point it hurts but so you know he is protective. He has always been like this since he moved back to Mountain City. I like it though it makes me feel safe from the players at this school.

“Hey, Sky.”

And here, for example, is why I need to be safe.

“Oh um, Hi Blake.”

Blake starts talking about himself and random stuff that I'm not paying attention to until,

“She’s NOT interested.”

I hear Daniel say to Blake as he turns me around to face him and holds me protectively.

“Daniel it’s not like you guys are together or anything.”

“Well, no but I’m her best friend and I’m doing her a favor by protecting her from YOU.”

I can’t help but think it’s cute how he’s so darn protective.

“Whatever you say man, but in the end, it’s her choice.”

Blake turns and walks away after saying goodbye to me. I don't even know what he said but it sure did piss Daniel off.

“You're not going to say yes to him are you?”

Daniel says with a worried expression on his lovely face. He looks so cute when he is worried. His blue sparkly eyes and his little pouty face.

“To be honest I wasn't paying attention to anything he was saying until you said something, so whatever it was yeah my answer is a no.”

He laughs looking at the floor smiling. That my favorite thing about him, his smile. It just lights up a room when he walks in. I just wish I could make him as happy as he makes me.

Daniels pov

“Dude your spacing out again, what's up with you?”

“Oh, nothing, I’m fine I'm just bored of this class.”

To be honest, that's a lie, not the I'm fine part, but the boring part. I was to busy thinking about Sky to be listening to anything. Our friends tease us about how we act like we are more than friends and I think of her as more than a friend but I’m scared. I’m scared to ruin what we have. I’m not sure she likes me so that makes it even worse. She means the world to me and I don't want to lose her. I remember the first time we meet like it was yesterday. It was the end of the day and I was about to leave until I saw her leave the school. I thought she was the most beautiful girl I’ve ever meet and intently liked her. I knew a little bit about her from her friend that I kinda friends with at the time.

“Oh Daniel this is Skyler, Sky this is Daniel.”

The other girl said I didn’t really care I was to busy looking at Sky. She wore skinny ripped black jeans with fishnets underneath, a Nirvana band shirt with red flannel, and black high top converse. She looked from the other girl to me and when she looked me in the eyes I swear my heart was beating 5,000 miles per minute. She was so beautiful to her big sparkling blue eyes, to her smile. She smiles and I felt like I was in heaven. I never knew someone could smile like an angle, SHE IS A FREAKING ANGLE.

That was the day I started to have my little crush on Sky, and little turned to big, and big turned into huge. I regret not talking to her the time I was there. I moved shortly after and that was the time we talked. I love those times.

“Man come on what’s up, are you thinking about Skyler.”

Liam another friend in our friend group. He knows about my crush on Sky and teases me about it like Alex teases Sky about how we act.

“To be honest yes, she is all I can think about.”

“Why not oh I don't know, ASK SHE OUT.”

He whispers yelled since we are in class. He has told me to ask her out before but I give the same answer.

“I’m scared, I don't want to ruin what her and I already have.”

“Well dude, to be honest, what you two have is a romantic relationship.”

“Whatever man.”

I look out the window and think. Maybe I should ask her out, but I quickly side against it. I don't want to lose her, nor hurt her as I did with all the other relationships I’ve had.

I can't focus on anything, I’m to busy thinking about him, Daniel. Ugh just thinking about him my heart goes 15,000 miles per minute. I don't think that's a good thing, can you die if your heart beats that fast?

“Sky you good? Are you thinking about Daniel again.”

Alex teases me, nudging me with her elbow. I laugh and say.

“When am I not thinking about him though.”

“To true cheif, Why don't you just tell him how you feel?”

I shake my head violently

“No, no, no, I can't do that. I would ruin what we have and If that happens I don't know what I would do.”

“Most likely be In the best relationship ever and make all the girls jealous.”

Alex says with a smirk. I laugh, she’s right though. Daniel would do anything for me if, and he is so sweet and caring. I don't know maybe but Nah just no I’m not going to ruin what we have.

“Finally lunch, I’m starving.”

“Same here.”

Alex and Liam laugh as we walk to the cafeteria. As we walk down the hall something covers my eyes, or more like someone.

“Hey there beautiful, who do you think this is.”

“Oh, maybe the same person that does this every day so, hmmm, Blake.”

“EXCUSE ME WHAT, HE IS DEAD.”

The hands leave my face and I turn to see Daniel halfway down the hall to find Blake. I laugh and run down the hall to top him. As I get closer I jump on him back so he is giving me a piggyback ride and he stops and looks at me. Once I’m done laughing I look him in the eyes and smile. His ocean blue eyes start sparkling once I look at him. It’s really cute.

“You know I was messing with you right? I knew it was you the whole time Daniel.”

He smiles and kisses my forehead.

“Yeah, I knew that it’s not like I was going to beat the living hell out of him or anything.”

He chuckles and I can't help but smile at him.

We finally make it to the cafeteria and Liam and Alex already has their food and are at our table.

“So you two love birds what are you two having for lunch.”

“A bag of food you can't touch."

Liam and Daniel are talking and I notice that Alex is looking back and forth from Daniel them me then she did something I can't believe just happened.

“I can't take it anymore, Daniel likes Skyler and Skyler likes Daniel.”

I turn red and look at Daniel from the corner of my eye. He is frozen in his spot, not even breathing. He slowly looks over at me.

“Sky, is that true?”

I didn't say or do anything for about a minute. I slowly nodded while looking at the floor. I couldn't look him in the eyes because I knew I would break down and cry, but I did anyway.

“DANIEL WHAT THE HELL.”

I heard Alex and Liam say at the same time I look up just to have my heart broken. Daniel was kissing so random girl, no not kissing a full make out.

“DUDE STOP WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU.”

Liam yelled. At this point, everyone was looking at us and I was trying to hold in my tears.

“Hey, will you go out with me.”

“Yes.”

Daniel asked the random girl out and when she said yes I couldn’t take it. I started to cry. I got up and got my stuff and left. My heart told me not to even though it was slowly breaking. Thousand and thousands of pieces of my heart falling it felt, and each piece now said something different. Go back, leave, stay, you need him. How do you listen to your heart if it's in pieces? Which piece do you listen to? I think that's the most important question. I heard someone yelling my name down the hall but I didn't listen. I walk out of the school doors and left

“SKY WAIT.”

It was Daniel, I turned to say something but I couldn’t. I looked him in the eyes and the only thing I said was.

“Bye.”

He looked heartbroken. I turned away thinking. I guess we’re even now. You hurt me I hurt you.

It’s been about 6 weeks since I’ve been with Blake and since Daniel came to my house and we had our little movie night. We still hang out it’s like old times, but not at the same time. He doesn't kiss my forehead anymore, Blake picks me up instead of Daniel. So, in the end, it’s not like old times. I was walking through the halls of the school because I really needed to use the restroom. Then I stopped in my tracks. My heart stopped, I didn't even breath. What I saw in front of me was something I never thought I would see. Blake has been trying for so long to get with me and this is was the dose. What I saw was Blake making out with some blonde haired. I walk up to them and lean against the lockers right where they were making out.

“So Blake, it takes you about two years to finally get with me and not even a month to be a loyal boyfriend, man you really are a terrible boyfriend. No wonder it took you two years to get into a relationship.”

I say as if it is nothing, and to be honest I don't really care. I never liked him so there is no point in being mad.

“Boyfriend? HA, you're funny you really thought I was your boyfriend, I was just using you. I never liked you. It was a stupid bet to see if you would go out with me and I won after two years.

I was hurt. I was just being used for a stupid bet. I looked at him and he could tell I was hurt but did he even care? Nope, he was about to go back to his makeout section until I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and punched him square in the face while crying. I look at Blake with hatred and sadness he had a bloody nose and I could tell he was going to get a black eye along with it and yet again he didn't care. He never did. I never liked him but knowing that I was just used for a bet, god knows whatever he got out of it. I turned and speed walked away. I wasn't planning on going back to class I just wanted to go home. I turned the corner and because I wasn't paying attention I bumped into someone.

“Oh, I’m sorry I wasn't looking excuse me.”

I tried to get away so I could leave but I felt the person put their hand on my arm. I knew this person all too well.

“Hey Sky what’s wrong? Why are you crying?”

I looked up to see Daniel. His blue eye sparkling just like they always have, his brown hair a mess. He must have run his hands through it many times. His hand gently squeezing my arm for me to know everything is ok. He looks at my hand to see that it is red and bleeding.

“Sky, what happened?”

I look him in the eyes and simply say.

“I want to go home.”

He doesn't say anything just turns around putting his arm around my shoulder and we start walking away. I stay silent the whole time. I was silent when we went to get his stuff when we left school when we got in the car and during the car ride to my house. I could tell Daniel was looking at me here and there through everything. I knew he wanted me to say something, like what happened to my hand or why I was crying. We got inside my house, mom was gone, Brandon at school. Daniel took my stuff and set it on the floor and picked me up bridal style. I knew we were going to the bathroom so he could fix my hand. He set me on the bathroom counter and got the first aid. We stayed silent for about 2 min. He wasn't going to make me say anything and I knew that. So I spoke first.

“I say Blake making out with some blonde girl. Apparently, he never liked me and it was a bet with one of his friends to see if he could get with me. So I punched him in the face. He has a bloody nose and a black eye now.”

I heard him chuckle, I could tell he was smiling too. I look up at him to see him still fixing my hand but also looking at me. He leaned in and kissed my forehead and said.

“At least he got what he deserved, but Sky you don't deserve what you got. You deserve better than that jackass.”

He looks me dead in the eyes while saying that. I knew he meant every word he said. I start crying and he pulls me into a hug. I wrap my arms around his chest and lay my head on his shoulder. I look back at Daniel he smiles and grabs my chin with his thumb and pointer finger to make me look at him in the eyes yet again.

“I love you Sky, Always have and always will.”

I can feel myself blushing, and my heart racing. I couldn’t breathe. Daniel just said three special words that I’ve dreamt he would say one day and he said it. My frown turned into a smile and he smiled right back. He slowly leaned into but not for my forehead. I lean in to and we both meet in the middle. The kiss was slow but passionate as if we were telling each other how we felt at the exact moment without saying a word. I wrap my arms loosely around his neck as he pulls me closer and puts his hand on my waste. His lips were so soft I never wanted this moment to stop. Sadly there is this thing called air and we need it to live so after a while we stopped. We pulled away leaning on each other's forehead.

“Whoa.”

I laughed slightly and smiled, he smiled too and I could tell he was very happy.

“Daniel.”

“Yeah.”

“I love you too.”

His smile widened and he goes in for another kiss that I happily accepted. I have always loved Daniel. He makes me happy, And right now I have never been happier.

“Sky, will you please be my girlfriend? I would treat you like the princess you are, I would never hurt you, I will take you out at one in the morning just to get you some food, I will do anything for you."

I sit there listening to every word he says, every breath he makes, every beat of his heart. It lets me know that I have some that truly loves me for me, not what see me as. He doesn't see me as a girl that should be used, lied to, or cheated on. I look at him, his sparkling blue eyes shine brighter than ever. HE truly means what he says. He truly loves me.

"Yes Daniel, I'd love to be your girlfriend."

And I have always truly loved him.