Running | Teen Ink

Running

June 28, 2019
By alvinar7823 BRONZE, Phelan, California
More by this author
alvinar7823 BRONZE, Phelan, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


Running

Here we go again. I seriously don’t mean it when someone gets hurt, but he asked for it. It is not my fault that “fatty”, which is what I called him, doesn’t know how to play poker properly. If he didn’t know how to play, then he shouldn’t bet all his money.
“Pretty Girl, you better give me back my money or you’re going to be hurting for a full week.”
“It’s not my fault you don’t know how to play.” I said, bored. I wanted to go home before Elias found out that I left to have some fun while he went to work, but fatty keeps blocking my path. I didn’t want to hurt him. I promised elias that I would not create another scene and have to move. But god, this guy is getting on my nerves.
“C’mon cough it up.”
“No. It’s raining and I want to go home.”
I push him so hard he fell I walked away not really caring. Bleep, what is wrong with people these days? When I lived in the compound a deal is a deal and you paid whatever it is that you bet. They should give kids some behavior and manner lessons in school so they know how to act properly. Am I right or am I right. While I was thinking I didn’t realize he had gotten up and started speed running towards me. He grabbed my shoulder and pushed me down. GOD! That bleeping hurt.
I got up so quickly he looked as if he just watched and old man do a 360 flip. “Hey! What’s your problem.” I hissed at him. “You lost, I won you, get over it. I am trying like hell not to hurt you no matter how much I want to hurt you right this moment.”
“HA! You, hurt me, you’re a tiny little thi-...”
“Hey!”
My blood ran cold. I knew that voice to well. God I was seriously hoping not to get in trouble tonight. This guy just ruined my night.
“Rowena I distinctly remember telling you to lay low until I got home.” when I turn around I see him looking at me sternly.
“I know, I know, but I got bored and you know that I am usually the one that goes to work while you stay home.”
“Well you working wouldn’t be a problem if you hadn’t caused a scene in vegas.”
“It wasn’t my fault, you saw that that guy was trying to grab me.”
“Yes but should have handled it better than breaking his arm and nose.” OH MY GOD! Why does he act like my dad, he my boyfriend, and I can do whatever I want. “You know we can’t be exposing ourselves or our agencies will find us!”
“EXCUSE ME!” fatty yells, clearly mad that we are ignoring him. “I’m not leaving until I get my money from this bit-” He is instantly down. Eli doesn’t like it when people call me the b-word it tick him off beyond rational thought.
“Don’t call her that.” he hisses while he continues to kick him. When it looks like he might kill him is when I intervene. I put my hand on his shoulder.
“Eli.” I say calmly. He stops kicking him and looks at me. All the anger in his face drains and turns into regret.
“I’m sorry.” he whispers. He put his arm around my shoulders and we start to walk away. We hear fatty get up.
“HELP! HELP I’VE BEEN ATTACKED! CALL THE POLICE.”
“I guess we’re going to have to move again huh.” I said with a smile. “Yeah I guess we are.” He smiled back at me. I loved his smile so much I don’t think I could ever part without it. Every Time I saw that I knew that I had made the right choice of defecting from headquarters. It didn’t matter that we would always have to run, and it appeared that he didn’t mind either. I hope his agency never finds him, his employer was even more brutal than mine.
“I love so much rowena.”he said to me while we walk. “You know that don’t you?”
“Of course.” I said. “I love you too; more than you will ever know.”
When we got home we started packing and I chose a place that I had always wanted to go to. “Are you sure you want to go to New Orlean?”
“Yes yes yes!!” I exclaimed excitedly “It’s almost christmas which means that we can celebrate in that famous street like the movies, it’ll be super fun.”
“Alright, let’s do it.” He says smiling.
We’re on the freeway and have been driving for five days. God I forgot how much I hate sitting in the car. Not that I'm complaining, elias has been very lovey dovey with me lately.
“So how much longer will it take to get to our lovely destinations.” Eli turns and looks and me. “Just a few more hours and we'll be there.”
“Awsome.”
I decided to go to sleep for a while but was awoken a little while after. I opened my eyes and elias was shaking me.
“Are we there yet?” I asked, not knowing what was going on.
“Not quite sweetie.” he whispered, clearly distressed. “We have a bit of a problem. It the agency, they found us.”
At this I sit upright. “That’s impossible, we covered our tracks before we left Seattle.”
“I think fatty ratted us out when they went to check out the scene. Why couldn’t you just give him the bleeping money.” he demanded
“Hey, don’t pin this on me, you’re the one that had to beat him up.” I hissed at him.
“He called you the b-word, you how I feel about people calling you that.”
“I can take all those names as long as i’m with you. I couldn’t care less what fatty calls me, he’s a drunk. Now, let's stop fighting, we need to work and stay together to get out of this mess, okay?”
“Okay.”
That’s when I noticed my surroundings “eli, babe, where are we?” elisa looks around. “Well, when I saw them following us I had to lose them, and when I finally did I parked us under a bridge.”
“And how come during this whole encounter you didn’t wake me up?” I said kind of annoyed.
“Well, this was the first time in many months that you actually were sleeping without whimpering, so I didn’t want to wake you up.” he says with so much adoration that my annoyed feeling completely left my mind. I kissed him lightly on the lips. “Thank you for not waking me up.” I said lovingly. He smiled and said “You’re welcome.”
In that moment he looked at me. And I looked at him, and I will never forget what he asked me in that moment. “Rowena Adams, will you marry me?” At that moment, I felt like the happiest girl on earth. I propelled myself towards him and started kissing his face everywhere.
“YES YES YES!” I squealed. “Of course I'll marry you Elias Beckman.”
All of a sudden there was a bang and the window on eli’s side shattered.we both sat down and eli started the car and we sped away. They kept shooting at us and we didn’t know what to do except try to lose them. Thankfully, I was able to shoot out one of the tires of the car and we were able to get away. Eli sees a hotel and stops there and get a room.
“Bleep, that was close.” I say, shutting the door. As I turned around, I saw elias trying to take his shirt off, the back of his shirt was stained with blood.
“Eli, oh my god, what happened? Are you okay let me see how bad it is.” I can barely speak though my fear of elias’s condition. I checked the wound, and it was bad. The bullet hit his spine. He had to go to the hospital. NOW.
“Babe, we have to go to the hospital okay. Let me help you up okay.”
“No.” He mumbled. “If we go to the hospital, they will instantly find us.” he was barely able to get up by himself. But he wouldn’t listen to me.
“We are going now end of discussion.” Eli laid down and said, “Just lay down with me for a while alright sweetie.” His eyes begged me to stay, so I said okay and laid down next to him. There was thundering outside and then rain spatters on the hotel window.
“See now we’ll have to stay here for a while. Just you and me.” eli said. I didn’t respond, we stayed silent for a while and them elias started talking.
“I love you so much rowena.” he whispered, “You know that don’t you.
“Of course.” I whispered back “I love you too; more than you will ever know.”
I was awoken when a bunch of agent from both sided came storming into the hotel room. Out in the crowd I saw my childhood friend who had trained with me when we were first recruited.
“Anna, you said you wouldn’t participate in the manhunt against me.”
“I’m sorry rowena, but they insisted that I take part and help find you.”
“Your men shot eli and now I have to take him to the hospital.” anna looked next to me and he eyes sadended. “
“I don’t think that will be necessary.” I turned around and all the color from elias’s face had left him. He was ice cold. Tears started streaming down my face. He knew he was going to die didn’t he? That’s why he didn’t want to go to the hospital and wanted to spend some time with me.
“Eli, babe,” I whispered “ please wake up baby.” I sobbed. “I need you to stay with me okay. Elias? Elias? WAKE UP, PLEASE WAKE UP!” I shouted. A hand laid on my shoulder. I looked up to see anna.
“He’s gone sweetie. I’m so sorry.”
In the end the handcuffed and took me away.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.