Twenty One | Teen Ink

Twenty One

November 12, 2019
By Anonymous

Author's note:

This is a project I did for my online school and I really liked how it turned out

Twenty One


I woke up feeling super excited. It was my birthday and I was finally turning 21! I headed downstairs to get some breakfast and start off my day.  I grabbed some fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and milk and blended it all in a delicious smoothie. Once done, I went back up to get dressed for the gym. I texted my boyfriend to see if he wanted to go with me, but he didn't reply. “I guess he must be sleeping.” - I murmured to myself.

**************

Six years ago, was my first day of seventh grade. I had just moved to Los Angeles and was extremely nervous but thrilled to meet new people. I picked a cute outfit and kept my long wavy blonde hair natural. Kept it simple on makeup and once ready, headed out the door. 

“Oh my God. It’s huge and beautiful and amazing and oh my God”. It had many signs welcoming back the old students and congratulating last year seniors. The garden was filled with bright, colorful flowers and the grass was freshly mowed. The front door was opened and lead to the front office where the principal was standing, greeting everyone. As I was heading to the bathroom, I heard someone calling me.

Hi there Morgan. You must be the new girl!- he screamed, calling me closer. 
Yes, it’s me. I’m not too…. 
This is Caleb Montgomery, the school's soccer team captain. He will be assisting you today and showing you where your classes are! -  he interrupted me.
The tall, dark-haired boy with hazel eyes reached his hand out to greet me, with a sincere smile:

Nice to meet you! Let’s get started?
Ni - ni- nice to me- meet you too. Umm, sure…
The rest of the day passed pretty quickly and Caleb was very helpful. There was something about him that kept me interested in everything he said. I was stargazed and couldn't keep my eyes off him. Every single girl seemed to want to date him… he was a real Romeo with the ladies.

Before heading home, I went to my locker to get a couple of things, when suddenly, someone touched me from behind. I let out a scream and quickly turned around:

Sorry to scare you, Morgan. I didn't mean to.
Oh, it’s okay Caleb. 
Well, this might seem a bit weird but, when I was waiting for you to arrive, I was curious enough to check your file and I noticed you live very close to me. I'm heading home now, so… do you want to walk back with me?
Sure!
**************

At around 11 am, I went back home and hopped into the shower. As I was getting ready for college, I heard my phone ringing. It was my mother in law:

Hi Mrs.Montgomery! How are you?
I need to tell you something
WHAT?
It’s Caleb. 
OH MY GOD. WHAT HAPPENED?
He is missing. He hasn't come home last night and I can't reach him. 
Me neither… He hasn't returned my calls nor my texts.
Can you please come over? I don't want to be alone right now 
Sure, I’ll be there in a minute.
**************

  Caleb and I have been “dating” since the start of Eighth Grade. On our one year anniversary, when we were both 15, he asked me out for dinner in order to celebrate. The night was beautiful and we had so much fun. Before going home, he took me to the park near our house and we laid there, looking at the stars. At some point, I noticed he was distracted as if he was making something, but I didn't give much thought to it and simply enjoyed his company.

Close your eyes, Morgan - he said, softly
Why?
Just do it. I promise you won't regret it.
Fine 
He took my hand and told me to stand up, still keeping my eyes shut.

You can open them now
I slowly opened them and there he was, down on one knee, with a “grass flowerish ring”.

Will you marry me? - he said, in a playful way
Hmmm… I’ll think about it, so make sure to ask me when I’m 21. - I said, teasing him
**************

I knocked on the door, shaking, imagining what could have happened to Caleb. The door creaked open and Mrs.Montgomery asked me to come in. As I stepped inside, there he was, down on one knee, with the same “ring” he had made me when we were 15.

Now, I can finally ask you… Will you marry me?



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.