To Catch A Dream | Teen Ink

To Catch A Dream

December 4, 2019
By Anonymous

Waking up is the hardest thing in the world to me. I honestly don't know how people do it. Groaning as I sit up and shut off my alarm, I rub my face in pure exhaustion. I look at the alarm and get out of bed walking to my closet. Quickly putting on my black sweater saying ‘Normal People Scare Me’ with my high waisted shorts. Slipping on my sandals, I walk downstairs to the kitchen to grab an apple and a bottled water. A piece of white paper grabs my attention as I look towards it.

I pick up the paper reading ‘Dad and I had a client we had to meet earlier. Sorry and love you -Mom’ 

“Of course they did,” I say sighing. As I walk to the bathroom quickly finishing my apple then brushing my hair and teeth, I grab everything for school and head the door. Locking the door, I start my adventure to school. I haven’t even walked that far before I heard a feminine voice yelling my name slowing getting closer.

I turned around and saw my friend Kat running towards me out of breath. I chuckle as I stop to let my friend catch up. She stops running mumbling a ‘thank you’ while taking deep breaths. 

“You know we can just meet up at the school right,” I said looking at her with a raised eyebrow. “Well I wanna talk to my boo before my real boo takes me away” she replies with a ‘duh’ kinda tone. I roll my eyes and walking with Kat talking to me about some new tea. We reach the school with a few minutes to spare so we climb up onto the window sill, learning about what happened over the weekend. I heard the front door open so I took a curious glance then wishing I hadn’t.

Branden Hunter, football captain and everyone's friend but when it comes to me? Ha, forget it he’s not my friend. He likes everyone but I somehow got on his bad side. I scoffed and returned my attention to Kat, not knowing that I meet a certain someone's gaze.

The bell rang, signalling that school has started and everyone started walking up the stairs to their lockers. Kat and I hopped down to head to our lockers. Once we made it upstairs, we waved bye as our locker were in different directions. I stand in front of my locker, turning the lock to put in my combo. As I’m doing that, I hear an oh so familiar voice beside me.

“Hey E,” the voice speaks. Looking over to the source of the sound, I smile and open my locker. “Hey Katie,” I reply. Kathrine ‘Katie’ Rosemary, captain of the girls basketball team and my best friend. Well...one of them at least. We start grabbing our stuff for classes as she goes on and on about some Gilbert guy and a little of how she destroyed the other team at the game over the weekend.

“That’s amazing Katie, well this is my stop. See ya!” I say as I wave goodbye. My feet gravitate me to my desk through I regret coming to class early. I take a deep breath and sit down in my seat putting my stuff under it. I sit back up to see Branden Hunter sitting on my desk with his classic smirk slowly stretching across his bothering face.

“Well well well… what do we have here?” He questions with a teasing tone. “Nothing that concerns you Hunter now get off my desk, it's already contaminated by you” I replied annoyed. 

“Now that hurt Hades,” he answers pretending to be shocked with his hand on his chest. “Good, that’s what I was planning it would,” my voice dripping with venom.

“Why so mean E” he questions slowly getting off my desk to head to his friends in the room. “Because you exist and my name is Evelyn…” I answer annoyed. He rolls his eyes and walks to his friends, when he reaches them. Destiny Flynn, Julie Roberts, and Kat Walker walk in and sit at our grouped together desks. I finally smile as we all talk about life.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


Claire_M said...
on May. 28 2020 at 11:58 pm
Claire_M, A City, Oklahoma
0 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
Nonexistent. Control is nonexistent. Whoever created the word is insane, it just doesn’t exist. By definition nonexistent means not real or present. The word nonexistent should be nonexistent.

Is that the end?