Colors | Teen Ink

Colors

Author's note:

I wrote this piece because I wanted to try out new genres. 

I see a woman. She has rosy cheeks, beautiful eyes with all the colors of the rainbow, silky long black hair as dark as the night sky, pale white skin, and strawberry-colored lips. This is my mother; one of the only people I could see the color of. She was the most beautiful woman in the world. She would sing lullabies to me at night, and play catch with me in the morning. She was a perfect mother. Unfortunately, happiness doesn’t last long. She developed a disease that couldn’t be cured. I was only 6 at the time, I didn’t know anything. I just sat there by her, watching her slowly perish. The only thing she had left me with was this power, not being able to see color. 

After my mother died, my father was absolutely heartbroken. He became an alcoholic, he would drink day and night. Our family didn’t have much money so my dad forced me to go and work. 

In middle school, all I could see was black and white, nothing with color. Everything was bland. I eventually made friends which were the people who helped me get through the hardships in my lifeBut that didn’t last long either. Those friends of mine turned their backs on me. Leaving me all alone in this cruel world. 

In the same year, my father married another woman named Charlotte Bryne. She had a son, Nathan Bryne, who was just a little older than me. I thought having Nathan there would make my life just a bit less miserable. However, I’ve learned my life doesn’t work that way. My stepmother would abuse me, she’d beat me up and starve me. My dad wouldn’t even care because he was drunk all the time and couldn’t think straight. I’d think of killing myself, I’d cut myself, I just wanted it to all stop. I wanted the pain to end.  

Nowadays, I’m 15, and my life is still brutally miserable… The only thing that keeps me alive each day, are my friends, Steven, and Claire. They were the first people to accept me for who I was, to support me, and help me get through my sufferings. They are the only light in my darkness. I live a life like this, just holding onto the thin rope called hope, dangling before I fall into an endless loop called life. This is how my life was, this is how I felt, until that one day…

In my second year of high school, a new student came.

“Hi, my name is Jordan, I hope to become friends with all of you!” 

This was the first thing I remember him saying. I wasn’t paying attention to that though. I could see his colors! My heart skipped a beat. I could see his chocolatey brown hair, emerald eyes, pale skin, and the bright colors of his clothing. I had finally found someone I could see the color of! But why? Why was I able to see his colors? Why was it him? I had so many questions swirling around in my head.

“You can go sit by… Ah, Kaylee! She’s the one in the back,” the teacher said, pointing at the seat next to me. 

He walked toward me and put his backpack down. Then he suddenly faced me… 

“Hi! Nice to meet you. I hope we can get along,” he said in a soft tone. To this day, I still can’t forget his sweet smile.

“U-Um… H-Hi…,” I murmured.

“Now class, take out your highlighters, and flip to page 85,” the teacher said.

Crap… I forgot to bring my highlighter…,” I muttered, rummaging through my pencil case.

“Here, borrow mine,” Jordan said as he passed me a bright pink highlighter.

“O-Oh, th-thanks…,” I said, taking the highlighter out of his hands.

“Now class, highlight the parts I tell you to, we will be reading this paragraph, and it comes out in the test, so please focus,” Mr. Evans said, holding up his book.

As Mr. Evans read, everything went through one ear, and out the other. I couldn’t concentrate. Everything was just blank. My mind, the classroom, everything, just blank. I didn’t even hear the bell ring.

“Kaylee?”

“Kaylee!”

“KAYLEE?” Jordan yelled, and I fell out of my chair.

“E-Eh? O-Oh did class end…?” I said, sitting up.

“Yeah, you were just sitting there so… I’m sorry if I startled you,” said Jordan with an awkward smile.

“Kaylee!” Steven said as he walked into the classroom with Claire.

“Who’s this?” Claire questioned.

“I’m Jordan, nice to meet you, and you are…?” Jordan said as he extended his hand.

“I’m Claire, and this is Steven, nice to meet you,” Claire said as she shook his hand.

“It’s already lunch, c’mon!” Jordan said, grabbing my arm and dragging me to the cafeteria, Steven and Claire tagging along.

When we get to the cafeteria I froze in place. So many people, it looked like they were all staring at me.

“U-Um… C-Could we please l-leave…?” I said as my hands clenched, and my voice started to tremble.

“Sure,” Jordan said as he picked up his lunch.

We end up at the top of the school. He was one of the first people that I brought up there. I felt comfortable while being with him, and that was a rare feeling for me. 

“Wow! You can see the whole school from above here!” Jordan said as his hair flowed in the light breeze. 

“Yeah, Kaylee and I come here a lot,” Steven said.

“Hey! Don’t forget me!” Claire chuckled.

“Mhm, I come here when I want to be alone, you could say this is my little safe spot,” I mumbled, laying down and staring at the dull sky.

“Isn’t the sky so beautiful? It’s such a stunning shade of blue right now,” Jordan says as he looks up into the sky, laying next to me.

“Should I tell him about my eye? Should I show him…?” I whispered to Steven.

“If you feel comfortable, just follow your heart,” Steven whispered back.

“…,” I thought for a second.

“If I tell you something, will you promise not to say anything about it…?” I said as I slowly sat up. 

“Yeah…? What is it? I won’t judge,” Jordan said.

“This…,” I said as I took off my eyepatch, revealing my rainbow-colored right eye.

“Woah! What’s that?” Jordan questioned.

“I don’t really know, I just know that I can’t see color, I can only see black and white,” I murmured.

“Really? Then you can’t see the sky? Or me?” Jordan questioned once again.

“Woah, slow down bud, don’t start startling her with questions,” Steven said. 

“It’s fine, well… I don’t know why, but somehow I can see the colors you have,” I said, fidgeting with my hair.

“Really? Do you know why?” Jordan said as he stares at me.

“Um…,” I stuttered. 

“I don’t know why…,” I add 

“It’s fine if you don’t know, let’s just enjoy our moment here,” Jordans said as he laid down and closed his eyes.

I start to feel a strange feeling, this sort of tingling sensation. My heart started to beat rapidly, and time seemed to suddenly stop. 

“Oh, it’s 5 minutes away from 6th period, we should get going,” Claire says                   

“Here,” Jordan says as he extended his hand, helping me up.

“O-Oh, th-thanks…,” I said as I gripped his hand and stood up.

We walked over to our 6th-period class, and the final bell rang

After school, Jordan and I got our things and walked out. 

“Do you wanna walk home with me?” Jordan said.

“Oh, um, sure…?” I blurted out. 

We started to walk. It was really quiet, almost awkward. When it started to get awkward, Jordan started a conversation. 

“So… How was school today…?” Jordan murmured.

“School was fine… And you?” I replied.

“Yeah, schools fine…,” Jordan said.

“Well, this is my house, see you tomorrow…!” I said as I waved good-bye to Jordan. 

“Bye! See you tomorrow,” Jordan said, waving at me.

I rushed into my room and got out my phone. I searched up:

“My heart is beating fast, and everything feels weird, what’s this feeling?”

I scrolled through the results and most of them said you have a “crush” on this person. 

A crush? What’s that? 

“A way of having affection for a person…,” I read the definition out loud.

Does that mean I like Jordan?! I mean, I feel some affection for him, but this much…? I just continued to ignore what I felt. After all, I’ve never expressed my true feelings before… 

A few weeks later, we became very close friends. We hung out all the time together and we became inseparable. Jordan gave me light to my life, but my family situation just got worse. Our family was running into money problems and my dad was getting more violent. He’s been hurting me physically and mentally, every, single, day. I don’t know what to do, nor do I know who to tell. I’m just stuck in this loop, I’ll never get out of it. Or that’s what I thought.

“Kaylee?” Jordan said as he tilted his head.

“Hey, what’s on your mind…? You know you can always tell me,” he added.

“It’s just… My family situation has gotten worse, it’s becoming quite unbearable…,” I said in a gloomy voice.

“Oh my, I’m sorry there’s nothing I can do for you right now,” Jordan apologized.

“No, really, it’s fine. I’m sure this is just temporary. The fact that you’re with me makes me feel better,” I said, assuring Jordan that I’m fine.

“I don’t know what to feel, sorrow, hatred, maybe even empathy… I just don’t know what to feel about this situation,” I said laying in the grass closing my eyes.

“You know what, let’s not think of the bad times. Let’s just enjoy the moment we have right now, the happy times… Just in this moment…,” I said, as a light breeze rustled the tree I laid beside.

“Yeah… this moment…,” Jordan mumbled so softly I barely hear.

We both laid in the grass, a soft breeze swayed the tree’s crinkly leaves and birds chirped. I wish time just stopped. Me here with Jordan, just to stay in this moment. It’s so peaceful, unlike my home…  Home sweet home they say. Maybe to them, but definitely not for me. 

“RING! RING!” my phone started to ring.

“Dad,” I read off my phone.

“Ugh, it’s my dad, sorry I gotta go,” I said as I packed up my things.

“Ok… Well… See you tomorrow…?” Jordan said awkwardly smiling. 

“Of course, see you tomorrow!” I said as I lightly pecked Jordan on his cheek.

“Of course, see you tomorrow!” Kaylee said as she lightly pecked my cheek.

I just stare at her walking away. My heart begins to beat rapidly and my cheeks flush bright red.  

‘Do I like Kaylee?’ 

I’ve never felt this feeling, is this what other people call love? I don’t know how to respond to this situation… 

I walk into my house, and I’m greeted with a loud scream.

“What were you doing out there?! You need to be at work!” My dad yelled across the room. Even if he’s this far away, I could smell the alcohol from there. 

“I was just hanging out with my friend! I can do what I want with my life!” I yelled back.

“SLAP!” my dad slapped me hard on the cheek. Tears started to form in my eyes.

“I HATE YOU!” I said as I slammed the door of my bedroom and locked it.

“KAYLEE! COME OUT HERE!” My dad yelled, banging on the door.

“STOP! I just want it all to stop…,” I said sobbing, sitting on the floor.

“Whatever, I’m gonna go get more beer, I’m taking the car,” my dad said, walking out of the house.

Wait, he’s drunk, and he’s gonna drive?!

“Wait!” I said bursting the front door open.

When I get there, I see it. My dad’s car and another car smashed together.

‘It happened again. I could do nothing. I just had to stand there,’

“Someone call 911!” 

“These cars crashed!”

“HELP-”

I hear the screams of people as I slowly start to fade out in the situation.

“KAYLEE?!”

That was the last word I hear. Then, I pass out. 

I wake up to see my arm connected to a long clear tube. I’m in a hospital. I try to sit up when a sharp pain goes through my head.

“Ow! Ugh… Why am I here? Wait, what happened to dad?!” I said as I hastily sit up.

“KAYLEE! You're awake!” someone said.

I turn my body to the voice, and I see Jordan there.

“Jordan? Why are you here? What happened to me? Is my dad safe?” I questioned Jordan.

“Well, after that car crash, I saw a lot of commotion. So I went toward it and I found you on your porch, about to pass out. Your dad is recovering. Luckily he didn’t get severe injuries,” Jordan explained.

“Thank god… He’s safe,” I said and let out a sigh of relief. 

“Well, you should thank god you’re ok. You fell and got a bruise on your knee and arm,” Jordan said, pointing at my arm and leg. 

“Your porch was pretty high, it’s a miracle you didn’t get any more harm,” Jordan added.

“Do you know where my dad is at right now?” I said, changing the subject.

“Yeah, he’s in room 86-L, I’ll go there with you,” Jordan said. 

“Thanks for saying that but it’s ok, I think I want to go alone,” I said as I slowly walked out of the room.

I look around in the hospital and find room 86-L. I walked in to see my father lying in the bed with bandages covering his body. I sat down in the chair next to him, then, I started crying. 

Hot tears rolled down my cheeks.

“I’m sorry there was nothing I could do, this is all my fault,” I cried.

“If I was just a bit early, this wouldn’t have happened,” I said.

“It’s fine Kaylee… This isn’t your fault,” my dad said.

“Dad! I’m so sorry,” I said as he pulled into a hug.

“No, I should be the one that’s sorry. I treated you horribly,” he said as tears formed in his eyes.

“Dad… I love you,” I said.

We just sat there, in the silence.

I slowly opened my eyes. Did I fall asleep while waiting for Kaylee? I opened my eyes fully and… 

There, I see Kaylee, sleeping beside me. She’s only about a few inches away from me. She’s so… Lovable… She’s just sleeping. Like there’s nothing going on, nothing bad. Well, nothing bad then the fact that her dad might have died and she may have too.  I just stay beside her, then, I slightly peck her cheek when she wakes up.

I wake up and when I do I see Jordan lightly pecking me on the cheek.

“I-I’m sorry, um…,” Jordan said as he stuttered.

“Do you… Like me…?” I questioned.

“Um… I know this isn’t the best time to confess but… Yes…,” Jordan said as he flushed bright red.  

“Well, in that case, I do too,” I said as I pulled him into a kiss.

A few seconds later I pulled away.

“Thank you for being there with me for so long. Thank you for supporting me, I just thank you for all you’ve done,” I said as I started to tear up.

“No, please don’t cry. If you cry I’ll be sad too. I’ve just done what any other human should have done,” Jordan said as he draws me into a hug.

“Thank you, I love you,” I said as I started to wipe my tears.

“I love you more, and will forever,” Jordan said.

As I slowly opened my eyes from the hug I see the bright light of the sun shining into my eyes. I see the baby blue sky and the green grass.

“I-I can see color!” I exclaimed.

“Really? I feel so good for you!” Jordan said.

“Why though…?” I said.

“I’m sure you’ll find out,” Jordan said.

“But for now, let’s just be thankful,” Jordan added, again in that sweet smile. 

The next day, I wake up happily to the sound of my alarm. It’s so happy when you don’t have to think about your father trying to beat you up. 

“Come to breakfast honey!” my dad said from the first floor.

“Coming dad!” I yelled back.

I come down and eat the pancakes he made for me.

“Where’s step-mom?” I asked in the middle of stuffing pancakes in my face.

“We got a divorce, I figured it’d be better for our family,” he said.

“Oh, ok, I won’t really say anything about that. Well, I don’t want to be late for school!” I said as I stood up and ran for the bathroom.

I go there, brushed my hair and teeth, washed my face, and go and changed. I never knew that being able to see color was this good of a thing. I decided to wear a white sweater with a small rose drawn on it, with a black skirt that matches it.

I went downstairs and left the house.

“Bye dad! Love you!” I said before leaving.

“Hi Kay!” Jordan said as he waves his hand to me.

“Huh? Kay?” I questioned.

“Your new nickname, isn’t it cute?” Jordan said laughing. 

“Well, if you like it, I do to Jay,” I said.

“Jay? Is this my nickname?” Jordan questioned.

“Yes, it rhymes with mine,” I said.

“Now let’s go, don’t want to be late, right?” I added. 

I grab Jordan’s arm and start to jog.

“Woah, slow down!” Jordan said.

“C’mon, let’s just get there!” I replied. 

We run through the streets, the ruby-red, ginger, and golden-yellow leaves were fluttering in the wind. The bluebirds fly through the sky and the dragonflies danced along. Everything was perfect. 

After a few minutes of jogging, we were at school. We were both out of breath, heavily panting.

“L-let's get to class,” I said, letting out a deep breath.

“Yeah, let’s get going!” Jordan replied.

We went to our lockers and got our books, then we headed to class. We got to our seats, sat down, and the class bell rang. 

Today, another colorful day starts. 

This book has 1 comment.

Claire_M said...
Claire_M, A City, Oklahoma

Nonexistent. Control is nonexistent. Whoever created the word is insane, it just doesn’t exist. By definition nonexistent means not real or present. The word nonexistent should be nonexistent.

This is good!