The Gifted Ones | Teen Ink

The Gifted Ones

October 8, 2021
By aricoursonwriting, Arvada, Colorado
More by this author
aricoursonwriting, Arvada, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I worked really hard on this story, I did submit it before but that was not finished. I want to become an author when I grow older and I am hoping this book is successful so my dreams can come true. 

Slowly, slowly Lily walked to school. Rocks crushed under her feet as she walked on the sidewalk. It wasn’t too hot outside, but it was unpleasant enough to make sweat seep through her dark blue dress. She stopped and looked up at the sky. Her fair-haired bangs were stuck to her forehead. Her dress was almost welded to her back. She remembered the day she first came to this school, her mother had disappeared and she moved in with her aunt. Her aunt wasn’t the worst at taking care of her, she was rarely there and Lily had to cook her own food. It was lonely until she met her friend Elle. Speaking of Elle, where is she?

“Lily!” Someone called.

She turned around to find a small girl with red hair running up to her.

“Hey there Elle,” Lily said, “Where have you been?”

She was wearing a bright pink dress with flower designs all over it. “Sorry…” Elle said panting, “My little brother was throwing broccoli at me again! This time I had to clean it up!” 

Lily smiled and her bright blue eyes shimmered in the sun. “Well,” she said, “That’s what little brothers do.”

Elle put her hands to her sides and started marching forward.

“Let’s go, we’re gonna be late!” She looked determined. Lily was wondering why she was so determined to go to school. Even though Elle was excellent at math, she never wanted to leave her little brother. 

“Actually you're gonna be late. I don’t have a second block, remember?”

“OH SHOOT!” She yelled and started running south. 

“Elle! Wait!” Lily shouted, “You’re going the wrong way! That’s the way to the ice cream store!” she pointed left. “That’s the way to Three Lakes High School!” 

Elle stopped in her tracks and she turned to look at her friend. Her confusion was as good as her friend’s, she was going to the school, not the ice cream store. She started running down the street toward Lily, sweat dripping down her arms. “Sorry,” she said when she finally got to her. “I really like sweets…” 

“I know,” Lily grinned, “You’re like cookie monster. But be careful, if you eat too many cookies you’ll look like him too!” She laughed at Elle’s annoyed expression.

“C’mon,” Lily smiled, “We’ll be late.”


*****

The bell finally rang in Lily’s ears, she was sitting in the lobby for the entirety of the second block. What has it been, like two hours? she thought. The next block that was happening was fourth, Lily’s favorite class, English. Excitement rose in her stomach. Finally! She’ll get to read! Her English teacher was the nicest too, his name was Mr. Collins, he would give Lily book requests, and good ones too. She didn’t know what she would do without Mr. Collins, she doesn’t think she would have ever finished one book without him. 

She hopped on her feet and marched toward English. She wondered if he’d be wearing those wacky ties, if so which one? He had so many, it was like it was endless.

She arrived in English and she was surprised and disappointed to see a sub standing at the teacher’s desk.  Well, she thought there’s always Thursday… Lily walked over to her desk and sat down, the chair was always cold because it was under the AC vent. There was a chair on her right that was empty, it was always empty though. No one ever sat there ever since that one girl sat there. She moved away though. 

Elle sat behind her and the bell rang. 

“Hello, Class.” The sub looked up, he had blond hair but his eyes were purple. Clearly contacts. Lily thought. He was also wearing a bright green polo shirt and brown khakis.

“I’m Mr. Mattews, and this new student is Jason.” He looked at the door and waved his hand indicating, come in.

A tall boy came into the room, he had brown hair and bright green eyes. He was wearing a blue t-shirt that said “Chick magnet” on it. He was very cute, Lily thought, his brown hair curling at his forehead, clearly, he was out in the sun like Lily was. He looked at Lily, their gazes locked, and smiled, smiled like he just read her mind. Lily looked away quickly. Wow, that was weird, She thought. 

“Woah, that was cool,” Elle whispered in Lily’s ear. “That cute boy was looking at you for like ten seconds. I’m jealous...”

“Oh, be quiet!” she whispered

Jason walked over and sat in that empty chair right next to Lily. She could feel his eyes burning at the side of her head, but she would not look at him. Something was off, a new student and a sub in one day?

“Okay class,” Mr. Mattews said. “As you know your teacher ‘Mr. Collins’ is not in today.” He looked directly at Lily, she gasped a little, why were the two new people looking at her and only interested in her? “That is because he got into an accident and was killed.” Gasps were scattered across the room. He smiled at her, a not so pleasant smile, and said “And I’m your new English teacher.”


*****

Since class started all Jason seemed to be interested in was Lily, he was staring at her, not saying anything, but staring. Mr. Mattews had put the class in groups. Lily, Elle, and Jason were in a group together, it was weird, her being this close to a boy that was so interested in her. Usually, boys didn’t like her, or they thought she was ugly or something. 

“I think you're very pretty, your dress is stunning.” Jason finally said. Did he just read my mind? Lily thought, No… that’s not possible. 

“Umm… thanks....” she said. 

“No problem,” He was silent for a moment. “Hey, can I get your phone number?”

Elle looked surprised. “Excuse me! Did you just ask that?”

“Ask what?” He said, clearly acting stupid. 

“You know!” Elle squealed.

“It’s okay, Elle.” Lily said, “He probably just wants it because of our project.” she reached behind herself and she pulled her backpack out. Elle watched in surprise, Jason looking clearly amused. She unzipped the front pocket and pulled out a notepad. It felt like this took hours, taking out the notepad, writing her number down, and tearing off the paper. All this with both of them watching. 

“I know what you’re doing!” Elle half yelled half-whispered to Jason. 

“Really? And what’s that?” He said while Lily gave him the paper. 

Elle leaned back and puffed her right cheek. “Oh, you’re good. A player.” She said. 

“How do you know that if you can’t read minds?” He said grinning. Elle stayed silent, and he chuckled. “Thought so.” 

“So how’s your project going?” Mr. Mattews stood above them. Jason looked up with no fear or surprise, Elle looked up, her cheek still puffed, and Lily was the one who talked. 

“We’re doing good Mr. Mattews!” She said happily. 

“Good.” He said, “I hope Lily’s not the only one working.” He looked at Jason and Elle. Jason grinned and Elle stayed silent. 

“It’s fine,” she said, “I’m used to working alone.” Because I am alone. Lily looked down from Mattews and saw Jason with a weird look on his face. Did he look…. Concerned? 

“Okay,” Mr. Mattews smiled generously, “But I’m only giving credit to Lily.”

Elle shot straight up, “Whaaaaaat?! I need credits to graduate!” Jason went back to smiling and he chuckled.

“Then you better get working.” and he walked away.

“What a weird man…” Lily whispered.

“What makes you say that?” Jason asked.

“I could feel his gaze on me. No… still can.”

Jason looked past Lily, she was right he was staring at her. “How odd…” He said. “That’s really cool that you notice those things, it’s almost magic.”

“Magic isn’t real…” Lily said. It can’t be.

“Whatever you say,”

“Yeah. She’s probably just observant.” Elle sassed.

“Okay you guys, stop fighting and start working.” Lily groaned, “This is due by the end of class… we have…” she pulled out her phone, the bright screen shined in her eyes flashing the time. “It’s 2:20, So ten minutes.”

Walking home from school was terrible. Apparently, it had started raining while English class was going on. Lily said goodbye to Elle. Jason decided to follow Lily home for some reason. Neither of them had an umbrella. So they walked to Lily’s home soaking wet. It wasn’t that bad, her aunt’s house was only half a mile away.

“So, you live with your aunt?” Jason asked. 

“Yeah,”

“If you don’t mind me asking… What happened to your parents?”

“Umm… My mother disappeared. And my father I don’t know.” She said hesitantly.

  She clearly doesn’t want to talk about it. Jason thought. “So, what is your aunt like?”

“I don’t understand… What do you mean?”

“Like what does she look like, how does she act, what’s her name?”

“Well I don’t know her real name but, I call her Aunt Melody.”

“Why doesn’t she tell you her real name?”

“She said it’s to ‘keep me safe’” 

They jumped over a puddle and Lily got splashed on her already soaked leggings. 

“She looks kinda like me. She has blond hair, blue eyes and she’s really sweet when she wants to be. I don’t really know how she acts… She mainly keeps to herself.” 

“Do you know much about your family?” he asked, actually curious.

“No,” 

They were both silent for a while.

“Well… Actually, I know one thing.” She said.

“What’s that?”

“My… My mom died when I was ten… It was terrible… but I really know nothing about my father. My aunt stays silent about those things.” 

“I’m sorry…” he said.

“It’s okay, it’s not your fault.” She stopped and turned around. Jason stopped and saw other than the rain there was water dripping down her face. Tears… he thought.

She looked at his worried face and she wiped her face. Darn it… I thought the rain would mask the tears.

“You know, it’s okay to cry,” he said as he pulled out a dry cloth from his backpack. “Here.” Lily took the cloth from his hand and wiped her eyes.

She sniffled, “Thanks.”

He cupped her cheek, his hand was warm in the cold rain. It was… comforting.

She smiled and laid her hand on his. They stayed there for a while. His hand was so warm and comforting, she didn’t want this to end. But it was weird. Why was this boy so interested in her? Slowly she lowered her hand, “We’re here.” 

Jason looked up, he hadn't even noticed that they entered a suburban neighborhood. “Is your aunt home?”

“She shouldn’t be… Why?”

“The front door’s unlocked.” 

She looked at the front door, he was right, the front door was open. “You’re right… that’s weird, she never leaves the front door open, let alone, is she supposed to be home now?” She started walking toward the front door when Jason grabbed her arm. 

“Jason, what are you doing?” she asked a little angrily.

“Stop. Something’s wrong.”

He was right; she also felt something was off. Her stomach churned, if something happened, she didn’t know what she would do if something happened to her aunt. 

“Jason, I have to know what’s happening.” 

“Fine, but stay behind me.”

He started walking toward the front door, Lily was concerned and confused. Butterflies rose inside her stomach. He slowly let the front door swing open. They peered through the front door, there was a huge mess, the trash was knocked over and the rotten food spilled all over the floor. Books fell off the bookshelf and torn off pages were scattered across the carpet. Bile rose in Lily’s throat. Please don’t be home, Aunt Melody. “There is a sign of a struggle,” Jason said. She didn’t like the sound of that. Maybe a stranger walked into the house and he was drunk?

They went into the kitchen and the stove was covered in red stains, they were wet, not dry. Blood. Lily swallowed cold dry air, even though it was humid. Please, don’t be here… she thought. They continued forward into the bedroom. “The red stains lead here,” Jason said. Something pale laid on the floor, was it a wooden table leg? Lily’s aunt did like to build weapons out of household objects. As they got closer, No, a leg. She thought. Closer, she saw something blue, and more red stains spread across the floor. It’s Aunt Melody’s dress. Tears stung the back of Lily’s eyes, it felt like someone was tearing her apart, little by little as they got closer, an arm, her stomach was torn apart. A right leg, her heart was torn to shreds, and finally…  There lay Aunt Melody’s body, her shining blue eyes were now colorless and gray staring at the ceiling. Blood trickled down her eyes, mouth, nose, and ears. Everything was torn apart.

Lily gasped and collapsed on the floor, tears streaming down her face. No. she thought, it can’t be. Not her, not again. Please no! “No. No! NO!” Lily cried. “Please no.” she whimpered. “Not you.” She crawled over to her aunt and cried. That’s all she could do. Cry. That’s all she was worth. 

Suddenly warm comforting arms embraced Lily’s waist. It was Jason. Still, they were drenched. But his warmth was the only thing keeping her alive. “You’re worth more than this,” he said. Was he reading her mind? Maybe magic is real. I don’t understand why this is happening. “Things that happen don’t define you, you define you,” he said. Maybe he was reading her mind. Suddenly magic didn’t seem so unreal. 

Suddenly fire stung her throat, she gasped for air, and she fell to the floor, unable to breathe. Bright fire-colored flames filled her eyes. She didn’t know what was going on. She could barely hear Jason calling her name. It felt like she was being burned alive. Her arms ached as the fire consumed her entire body. She closed her eyes. Maybe this is what death is. It hurts but it isn’t so bad.


*****

The bright light burned Lily’s eyes as she finally woke up. It must’ve been a dream. Lily thought, sitting up. Shear pains stung Lily’s arms and legs. “Ow.”

She was laying on a bed, bright white covers covered her arms and legs. They were soft and cool. But… wait…. She doesn’t remember this being her room. Maybe this wasn’t a dream. She pulled her arms out of the covers. They were covered in bandages, confused, she pulled her legs out, bandages surrounded her legs too. What happened? She thought.

She remembered something burning but nothing else. When she looked up there were no posters on the walls, just painted white. She slid her legs off the bed, wondering if she was able to walk. Lightly she placed her toes on the ground. More shear pains covered her legs, and she whimpered a little. She placed her feet on the floor, it hurt more. 

“Here,” Someone said. 

Warm comforting arms covered her shoulder as he helped her off the bed. Jason. She thought.

She was able to stand with some support, he helped her to the kitchen. It was a small apartment, it looked as bare as the bedroom. The walls were painted white, and there were no paintings or posters. It looked as if the only bedroom was the one she was in. He set her down at the counter and went to the kitchen across from her. It smelled like eggs and bacon. 

“That’s because I am cooking eggs and bacon.” he looked up and smiled. It was a charming smile that brought redness to Lily’s cheeks. 

“Can you really read minds?” she asked.

“Actually I call it ‘Second sight’.” he went back to the counter and placed a plate full of bacon and eggs in front of her. She didn’t even see him grab it. 

He’s amazing.

He chuckled a little. “You see me as who I am not.”

Her cheeks burned, Oh no, he read my thoughts again. Think of something else… like… umm… ooh oh yeah this wall is white and so is the floor…

“You know you don’t have to be embarrassed by me. Hold on.” He walked over to Lily and took her arm. “Can I check?” He asked.

“Umm okay…” She lowered her arm to his level. 

He slowly unwrapped the bandages, even though it hurt as he lightly gripped her arm. She felt like this was going to end soon, and she didn’t want that. Lily gasped, it looked so bad, black and red burn marks scorched all over her upper arm. What in the world happened? She remembered her aunt dying…. Wait... her aunt died… Oh no… I have to tell the police. 

“Don’t worry, they already went by. While you were sleeping. There was no murder weapon.” He wrapped her arm up again. “Do me a favor, worry about yourself please.” 

She stayed silent for a moment, and they have just locked gazes for a while. His eyes were so green, like emeralds. They shined, pleading that she would take care of herself. 

“Okay,” she said finally. 

He smiled, the ghost of a smile, he walked over to the kitchen and grabbed something else. It was his plate of eggs and bacon. He walked over to Lily and sat next to her. She could feel the warmth of his body next to her. 

“So if you can use magic, are there other superhumans?” She asked.

“Superhumans? No, we call ourselves ‘the gifted ones’. Humans are called ‘the originals’.”

“So there are more of you?”

“Yeah, but there are other powers.”

“Like what?”

“We call them ‘the nine lies’. It’s called that because we have to shield ourselves from society.”

“What kinds of powers are there?”

“Well, there’s the common ones and the uncommon ones.” 

“What are the common ones?”

“Wow, you're really curious aren’t you.” He picked up his fork and took a bite. “There is poisoning, healing, telepathy, telekinesis, second sight, ice, and decay.” His eyes hardened. “The sad thing is that good powers have consequences, but bad do not.” His eyes softened and he looked back at Lily, “But there are also uncommon powers. There’s only two though, death, and fire.”

“Is that how I got burned? Because you have fire powers and accidentally set the house on fire?”

“Then why do I have no fire marks?” He grinned and took another bite.

“Because you have immunity?”

He pointed with his fork. “No, that’s not how it works.”

“Then how…” she looked at the floor, her eyes widened, “Do I…”

He half-smiled and nodded. 

“But how? I don’t know why I have uncommon powers.”

“It was given to you by your mother because your mother was a goddess. Uncommon powers come from goddesses and demons.”

Lily's head shot straight up. “How? That’s not possible.”

“That’s a question I cannot answer.” He took another bite.

“Even if that was true, how did I not know? She was there until I was ten… How…? I don’t understand...”

“It was kept secret from you.”

“How come my powers didn’t appear until now?”

“Because powers are based on emotion, your emotions were heightened, so your fire burned.”

“But how did I burn myself?”

“Because good powers have consequences.”

“So… The consequence of fire is burning myself whenever I use it?”

He took another bite. “Yep. Now eat.”

She picked up her fork, the fork was cold to the touch. It was better than the feeling of fire burning your skin. She lightly stabbed a piece of egg and took a bite. It was bland at first, then the flavor exploded. It was perfect, not too salty, not too savory. She took more bites. She didn’t realize she was this hungry.

“I’m glad you like it.” She looked at Jason who was grinning. He didn’t have to read her mind to tell that she liked his cooking.

Lily flushed, “Your… It’s really good… I think you're really good at cooking…”

“I appreciate it.”

“Do you know what time it is? I don’t know where my phone is.” She asked politely. 

“Hmm…” He checked his wrist. “I think it’s about two,”

“Oh no!” she yelled.

“What’s up…? He asked.

“School’s almost over!” She started getting up, when her feet touched the ground, sharp pains burst all the way from her feet to her chest. Her legs collapsed and she fell to the ground hitting her burnt arms on the hardwood floor. She yelled out in pain, and couldn’t move. 

A hand reached out in front of her, “Do you need help?” Jason asked. 

“I… I can’t move… It hurts too much…” She whimpered. “Maybe I’ll just lay here for a little while.” 

Jason grabbed underneath her armpits, “No, I’m not leaving you here.” He lifted her up until she could rest her hand on the counter. “Now, don’t walk,” He cupped the side of her cheek, “Please.” Did he know that this really comforted her? He was helping her in a way that no one ever did before. She was very grateful. 

Tears streamed down Lily’s face, “I don’t know what else to do… All of my family is gone.” He helped her sit on the stool again. “My dad, my mom, now my aunt!” she wiped her tears with her hand while Jason lightly stroked her hair. “I hate being helpless.” She sobbed.

He lifted her chin up, “You’re not helpless, and you’re not alone.” he took his sleeve and wiped her tears. “I know you’re meant to do something wonderful.” She looked at him, her eyes shimmering in the dim light. “Don’t doubt yourself, just wait, it’s tough, but eventually we will catch whoever did this, or is doing this, and we are going to create justice. Justice that will make you feel like you're worth it. That you belong here. And I am going to help you. I will never leave, never.”

More tears streamed down Lily’s face, and he kindly smiled. “I…” her voice cracked. “I don’t know what to say…” she looked at him, he was so kind, so sweet, did she deserve this? He wiped more of the tears that slipped through her eyes. Maybe he was right, maybe she was worth something. “Thank you…” 

“I will be here, always,” he said. His voice was so soft, like the ocean, but calmer.

She smiled, more tears fell, “I trust you. Thank you.”

Lily was finally back at school a week later. Her burn marks were almost gone. She doesn’t know why, but she was afraid to go to school. Something was going on there, something odd. Her house was completely destroyed and she had nowhere to go. Luckily, Jason had her stay at his house. She slept in the room while he slept on the couch. She felt bad, but Jason being the mind reader he was, told her he had much worse, which left her feeling confused and bad about what happened when he was younger. Jason was seventeen and she was sixteen, she was really happy that she finally found someone. Someone who cared about her, someone who took care of her like her mother once did. There was something she wasn’t sure of though, her mother she loved, but Jason’s ability to make her laugh and cry was something else. It was like he cared, but there was more. Lily never got the chance to love, she wondered what love was like. She wasn’t sure if this was it. If this was love.

“Lily! Where have you been?” Elle ran up to her and panted. She looked up and tears stung her eyes. “I’ve been worried sick! You’ve been gone and you’re not answering your phone!” 

“Yeah… umm… about that…” 

“Hey!” Jason walked up from the other direction. Lily’s heart jumped; she wasn’t used to him leaving her alone. If something happened to him she didn’t know what to do. He walked up to Lily and smiled. “Don’t worry. I was just getting us some chai latte’s from Moonbucks.” 

Elle was silent, she and Jason were staring at Lily. 

“Elle, I’m sorry…” Lily said.

Jason put his finger up, “No, don’t apologize.” He turned over to the other girl. “Elle, tell her.”

Elle stayed silent and stared at Lily. “Wha… Tell me what?”

“I’ve already revealed myself. You know what happened and you know that her powers are activated. We no longer need to hide this from her.”

“Wait what…? What’s going on?”

Elle inhaled sharply.  “My name is Elle Starflight. I am part of the B.O.M.B. the ‘bureau of magical beings’. Yes I know that spells bomb but it’s the name they chose for some reason.”

“Wait… You’re a magical being too? This is confusing…” Lily turned to Jason, “This is the bureau you were talking about?” she asked him. “Aren’t you a part of it too?”

Jason stayed straight-faced and nodded. 

“So what is your goal?” Lily was confused, two people who were not who she thought they were.

“We were sent to protect you,” Jason said

“Protect me? Protect me from what?”

“There is someone after you, someone we need to protect you from. He took your mother, and we believe your aunt as well as your English teacher. Now he’s after you.” Elle stated.

“After me…? But who…?”

“Lucifer,” they said together.


*****


“Luci…… Wait what? WHAT?” Lily was horrified, what would this Lucifer want with her? What did he need her for? What was the point of this? “I don’t understand what’s going on… Doesn’t he live in hell or something?”

“He did…” Elle said.

“Did…? As in, past tense?! Oh no… I’m screwed…” She ran her fingers through her hair and started pacing. She stopped and looked at Jason. “Lucifer. As in the KING OF HELL. The so-called KING OF ALL DEMONS.” 

Jason had that “oh no I shouldn’t have said that” face. He nodded.

She started pacing again, feeling the dread of being alive. But there was a reason, wasn’t there? A reason for her to be alive? Her lungs were being weighed down by a thousand pounds. Lucifer… The king of demons… wants to kill me… 

“Well…” Jason said. “We don’t exactly know what he wants with you. We just know that he wants to get everyone out of his way.” He reached out and grabbed Lily’s hand. Redness made its way up to her face. 

“I…” She stammered. She couldn’t concentrate with him doing this. 

“You don’t have to concentrate. Just let Elle and I protect you. We are strong, we both have powers, and we are trained in combat.” he lightly stroked her upper hand with his thumb. 

She pulled her hand out of his grasp. “And let you DIE for ME? NO. It’s not worth it.” She crouched down and dug her fingers in her hair. “It can’t be… It’s not real…” Jason looked at Elle. She just sighed and nodded. He kneeled down and rubbed Lily’s back. 

“You know. Your aunt was one of us too.” he smiled.

The poor girl looked up with tears covering her face. No part was dry. Jason felt dread running down his back. “Really…?” her voice cracked. She wiped her eyes with her dress sleeve. After the house fire, Jason bought her new dresses. Ones that she really liked. A lot of them were in her favorite color, blue. “Wh….” She looked up. “What was her magical ability?”

“It was telekinesis.” Elle stated.

Lily looked up at Elle. “What… What about yours?” 

Elle looked at Jason who half smiled and nodded. She looked back at Lily and smiled generously. Lily has never seen her smile like that before. This is a weird new Elle. She thought. What if she can read minds too? Oh no, I can’t have two people knowing everything I think about…  “Don’t worry.” The mind-reading boy looked at Lily and grinned. “I can read her thoughts but she can’t read ours.” 

Elle’s face turned beat red, “WILL YOU STOP READING MY MIND?!” She screamed. Now that’s the Elle I know.

“So…” They both turned and looked at the poor girl. “If it isn’t mind reading…” She looked at Elle. “Then… What is it?” 

Elle sighed and smiled again. “It’s Ice, and I have another one. Healing.” She looked at Jason who was still grinning. “And this guy.” She punched his arm.

“Ow! What was that for?” He looked mildly annoyed. 

“He has two as well.” She narrowed her eyes. “Don’t you.”

“Wait… You have two abilities?” Lily looked eager to know, and she was. 

“Yes.” He said while rubbing his arm. “The second one I rarely ever use. It’s useful, but it’s very dangerous.” He stayed silent.

“Well.” Elle said. “What is it, and what’s so ‘dangerous’ about it?”

Jason let out a very annoyed sigh, “It’s telepathy. It’s dangerous because every time you use it, it damages the brain of the person you're trying to communicate with.” He was still rubbing his arm. “Dude. That really hurt.” 

Elle rolled her eyes.

“Wait… damages the brain?!” Lily felt fear edging up her throat. 

“I’m sure he told you,” Elle said.

“Told me what?”

“She’s thinking that I told you that good powers have consequences.” He said still annoyed.

Elle's face, once again, turned red. “Will you STOP READING MY MIND?!” 

Jason grinned, “But it’s so much fun! Annoying you is the best!” and he laughed. 

Lily smiled, Jason was the best at making jokes. He also was very caring. That must have been a nice trait to have. He looked over to Lily and raised his eyebrows. God, he read my mind again... She thought. 


*****

The bell rang and class started. Lily under the AC vent, Jason next to her, and Elle behind Lily. Only this time it was different. They were no longer who people thought they were. They were from another existence, ones where demons and goddesses lived. Lily was filled with fear, and so were her friends. Because the most feared demon of all was after her… and probably her friends as well.

Mr. Mattews walked into the room, a smile pasted on his face. He always smiled. It was odd and nerve-racking. He raised his eyes and stared at Lily. His eyes were sinking into her soul. She quickly looked away. 

Does she even know? She doesn’t suspect a thing.

Lily looked up. Did someone just talk? Or was it a voice in her head? But… it sounded so real… She looked at Jason who had no facial expression, his eyebrows were raised and he was staring off into space. 

Who is this new teacher? He only pays attention to Lily, it’s like he doesn’t notice us at all.

That sounded like Nadya’s voice, the popular girl in the class. What’s going on?! Lily thought.

I wonder if she suspects me yet. 

I wonder what we’re doing today.

She’s so ignorant. 

Geez, English class is so boring. 

I wonder if she knows who her father is.

Why aren’t we doing anything?

No, I have to wait a little longer to reveal myself.

Why is he just staring at her?

Why is he just staring at her, why is he just staring at her, why is he just staring at her. 

“L… Lily?”

Lily looked up, she didn’t realize she covered her ears and tears ran down her eyes. “Lily…? Are you okay?” Jason looked at her with concern. She looked around the room and everyone was looking at the teacher while he was explaining synonyms. 

“Jason… Am I going crazy…?” she whispered.

“What happened…? Are you okay?” He placed his hand on her back.

“I heard a voice… no… thousands of voices… all from the classmates around the class…” She looked at him. “What’s happening to me?” She gripped her desk, turning her knuckles white. There was this one voice though. It was someone unfamiliar. He was… She looked up. She gripped the table harder, it burned, the table was burning her. 

“Lily… Lily!” Jason whispered. 

She looked down, her hands sank into the table, she lifted them up, and two black scorched fingermarks burned into the table. Her hands had more burn marks spread across the palm. 

It’s heer. It’s heer. The voice sang in her head. 

Lily’s pupils shrank. “He’s here. I know he is.”

“Stay calm,” Elle whispered. 

Lily and Jason looked up, Mr. Mattews was staring at all three of them. His gaze was hard. I can’t wait to meet her and make her mine.

Lily inhaled sharply and held her breath. The world was spinning. She couldn’t breathe, it was terrifying. The air suddenly went cold. All that existed was Mattews. A murderer was her teacher, he killed her parents and her aunt, as well as her actual teacher. 

She got up from her chair, feeling sick. Then she ran, ran like her life depended on it, and it did. Leaving Jason and Elle alone with him. Him, it was him, he was him, he was the murderer. He was the demon.

He was Lucifer.

Run all you can Lily, but you won’t be able to escape.

Voices surrounded her head, voices of all the children, everyone in the school. Panting, she got out of the school passing the security desk. The air went dry. She couldn’t breathe. I have to keep running! She thought. I have to or he’ll catch me. 

Rain clouds covered the sky, the darkness was surrounding her. She couldn’t escape. 

Suddenly something grabbed her arm and tugged her to face him. Lily screamed, closed her eyes, and scratched his arm. She started running again, this time he grabbed her waist and tugged her toward him again. Lily tried to get out of his grasp, but he embraced her. His arms surrounded her. 

She scratched, hit, screamed, but he just wouldn’t let go. She couldn’t hear anything. Rain fell from the sky. Covering her in its darkness.

A muffled voice came from the man. Slowly the world came back into focus. She could hear him talking, he was saying her name. 

“Lily! Lily! Lily, stop, it's just me!” She looked up. Burned scratches surrounded the boy’s chest. 

“Jason…?” she looked around. “But… I thought you were…” 

“Mattews? No.”

She lightly touched the scratched marks on his chest. He winced. “I’m sorry…” She sobbed. “I can’t control my world anymore… I can’t even control myself.” She started crying. Rain drenched her hair and dress. Jason pulled her closer to him. She sobbed and cried in his chest. 

“Lily…” He breathed. 

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry….” She wept. He pulled her away from him and pulled her lips towards his. He was kissing her. Not taking advantage of her, but this was a reassuring kiss that everything would be okay. He pulled away. 

“Please…” He whimpered. “Please don’t apologize.”

“But…” she was still surprised. “I hurt you.”

“You didn’t mean to.” 

“I still did though!” She cried. 

“Lily…” he pulled her closer to him. “I don’t care. As long as you’re alright.”

“Jason…” 

“Hey!” Elle said from a distance. She was holding an umbrella. 

She walked up to Jason who was still holding Lily. “Is she alright…?” She asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine…” she lied.

“No. You’re not.” Jason said.

Elle held an umbrella above them. “Let’s take her home.” Elle sighed. 

All three of them walked to Jason’s apartment. Jason holding Lily. Elle held an umbrella above all three of them.

“Ah,” Lily said as Jason lightly pressed her hands with a cold wet cloth. She was sitting on the couch in his living room. The couch was white like the rest of the house. “Ouch…” 

“Sorry…” He lightly pressed her hands with the cloth again. “This should help.” He said that kindly but she couldn’t see his face.

She looked at her palms, they were red with blisters surrounding the burns. 

“It looks bad now,” Elle said from across the room, “But once I heal it, it’ll be all better.” She picked up a magazine placed on the coffee table and read.

“Isn’t healing considered a good power?” Lily asked Jason. He put the cloth on top of the table. 

“Yes,”

“Then… What's the consequence for it?” 

“The consequence of healing?” He dipped the cloth in the ice water bucket again. “You temporarily feel the victim's pain. But it’s ten times worse.” He pressed the cloth on her hands again.

“What…? No, no, no. Elle, no.” Lily demanded. “You are NOT healing me, understand?” 

Elle looked up from her book, “Jason? Did you have to tell her that?” She said very annoyed. 

“She asked.” He placed the cold cloth on Lily’s hand again. 

“Ah,” Lily exclaimed again. “It’s fine, I can manage.” 

Jason wrapped up her hands with a bandage. “See, almost good as new.” He looked up at Lily, closed his eyes, and smiled. It was a fake smile, Lily could tell. 

He walked to the kitchen and washed the cloth under the sink. 

“Jason…?” Lily lightly asked. 

“Yeah?” He asked from the kitchen.

“Are… are you angry with me?”

The sink suddenly turned off with a slam. Lily flinched and stared at the floor. She heard him walking up to her. She felt very scared… He was scary when he was angry.

“Look at me.” He demanded. 

Lily did as he said and looked at him. His eyes were very green. But no rage was in them. Instead, it was fear. A light fire of fear rose in his eyes. 

“Do I look angry?” he asked a little harshly. 

He’s not angry, he’s scared. Lily thought.

“Exactly.”

“Why… if I may ask, are you afraid?”

“Because of you. Don’t you understand?” he asked, still harshly. 

“No,” she whispered and looked down. She wasn’t used to him talking to her this way. He sounded angry, but he wasn’t. How does that work?

“Do you want to know why?” he raised his voice.

“Umm… yes…” she said softly.

“Because I love you.” He said.

Lily’s head shot straight up, his eyes, for the first time, had tears in them. He was telling the truth. No one has ever told her that before. Not this way. “Y… you do?”

“Whether you wanna believe it or not, it’s true.”

Lily was happy, really happy. Redness burned her cheeks. This is the first real family she ever had. Tears slipped from her eyes. A huge weight lifted from her chest. 

“Geez guys, get a room,” Elle said.

Jason looked over to Elle, “You’re one to talk. I never want to be around you and your boyfriend.” He walked over to her and took her magazine. 

“Hey!” 

“What are you reading anyway?” He said lifting the magazine with two fingers like it was a disgusting tissue. 

“It’s a fashion magazine! Now give it! That thing was five whole bucks!” 

He dropped the magazine on Elle’s lap. He turned away and walked towards the kitchen. 

Lily held her hands to her chest. What was this feeling? It felt like butterflies but with a sweetness to it. What was it? She remembered when he kissed her. Redness covered her entire face. No one ever kissed her before. The butterflies rose in her chest. 

She looked at Jason as he washed the dishes. Do you want to know why? Because I love you. No one ever told her that before. Her mother cared but not this way. 

What’s happening to me?

I can see the redness in her face, she’s really confused. Lily heard Elle think. 

I am confused… she thought. 

I wonder what she thinks love is. Lily looked over to Elle who was smiling looking at her magazine. 

Wait… one thing for sure is that she can hear Elle’s thoughts… But she couldn’t hear… She turned over to Jason, he was humming out of tune. I can’t hear his thoughts. And his lips curled into a smile. 


*****

“But… Why can’t I hear your thoughts?” Lily asked as Jason gave her tea. She held her cup, hoping the warmth would comfort her. It didn’t work. 

Jason sat next to Lily, his cup of tea dripping down his arm. “It’s because of training,” he said. “You’ll learn soon.”

“But… How?” She asked. 

“It’s complicated.” 

“Will you teach me?” She asked eagerly. 

“I… I can’t. But I know someone who can.” He said and sipped his tea. 

“G’night guys,” Elle said from the hallway. 

“Night,” Jason said.

“Good night Elle, sweet dreams.” 

She walked away into the bedroom. 

“Are you sure she can sleep in your room?” He asked quietly.

“Yeah,” She looked at Jason. “And it’s your room, not mine.” 

“Yeah, yeah.”

“Does she have to sleep on the floor?” Lily asked sadly.

“She offered, ''I'm not her, so I can’t say.”

“Okay.” She took a sip and placed her tea on the table. “Anyway, you were trained to control your thoughts?”

“Yep.” He took another sip.

“Tell me more about it!” 

He placed his tea on the same table that Lily placed hers. “There’s a lot to say. Are you sure you want to know it all?”

“Well I do need to know,” she uttered. 

“Well, first things first… Did you ever notice what the voices sound like?” 

“Yeah… I noticed Nadya’s voice. And I could tell the difference between…” She swallowed, “I could tell the difference between him and my classmates.”

“You mean Lucifer?”

Lily shuddered, “Yeah.” That name was hard to say. He murdered her parents, aunt, and teacher. All this just to get to her. All this torcher because he wanted something from her. She just couldn’t figure out what that “something” was.

“Well clearly you figured out lesson one,” he said, leaned back, picked up his tea, and took a sip.

“Lesson… one…?” 

“Yep. Learn what the voices sound like and pinpoint the location.” 

“You mean… tell who the voice is coming from?”

“Yes. You just said you found Nadya’s voice. But you also found one unfamiliar, didn’t you?”

“Yes, Luci…” she gulped again, “...fer.”

“Pretty cool huh?” he smirked and sipped his tea.

“How come Lucifer didn’t have control over his thoughts?” she asked, actually wondering.

“It’s because he isn’t a mind reader.” Jason took another gulp. “Only mind readers can control thoughts to other mind readers.” he wiped his face with his sleeve.

“That’s really odd…” 

“You really like information, a facts girl. I like that about you.” 

Lily smiled and put her right hand on her chest. The sweet and gorgeous butterflies fluttered around her heart. She liked that wording, “facts girl”. She really liked it. 

Lily woke with a gentle shaking. The sun blaring through the windows burned her eyes. 

A shadow towered over her. “Hey there,” Jason said. “Come on, it’s time to go.” He got up and walked over to her wardrobe. 

“Go? Go where?” She said, rubbing her eyes. 

“To the bureau, of course.” He pulled out a suitcase and took her clothes off the rack. “What clothes do you want to wear today?” 

Lily looked at Jason then at the wardrobe. “Why are we going to the bureau?”

“Pack now, questions later.”

“Umm… The purple one.” She got off the bed as he pulled out the purple dress. 

“Here you go.” She took the dress from him. “Go change, I’ll pack for you. You can’t really grab anything anyways, your hands are still injured.” 

She looked at her bandaged hands and back at him. He was humming a soothing tune. Folding her clothes and putting them in her suitcase. 

“Where’s Elle?” Lily asked. 

“She’s getting snacks prepared for our long journey.”

How long was the drive? Why are they going to the B.O.M.B? What’s going on? So many questions surrounded Lily’s head. 

“Are we driving?” she asked.

“Yep.”

“You have a car?”

“Yeah.” 

“Wait… You have your license?”

“Yes.”

Huh, Lily never knew that before. Jason had a license, and Elle knew how to prepare food. The girl who always brought canned spaghetti for lunch.

“Go change.” He chuckled. Of course, he read her mind. She ought to get used to that.


*****

Lily changed while Jason and Elle prepared to leave. She wondered what the Bureau looked like. What it smelled like. What it sounded like. She stuck her head through the collar and her arms through the sleeves. The dress was soft, softer than the others. She didn’t think she wore this dress before. It also smelled like… lavender. Maybe Jason has lavender detergent? 

She walked out to the kitchen to find no one there. All the couches, plates, food, and everything else were gone. 

“Jason?” she called. 

“Here!” 

The voice came from outside. She walked out of the apartment onto the balcony, the wind blew her hair out of her face. Jason and Elle were packing a trailer, a big one about sixteen feet long and it had brown stripes across the sides. 

She walked down the balcony and stood next to Jason. 

“Yo,” he said. Putting a cooler in the trailer. 

“Hello,” Lily said kindly.

“I think that’s the last of it,” Elle said, poking her head out of the right window. “Oh, hey Lily.” 

“Hello,” She said again. “Are we leaving your apartment forever?” She asked Jason.

“Yeah.” He pulled the front driver’s side door open and got in. 

“Don’t you have to tell the manager or something?”

“Nope. My work pays for the apartment and it also informs the manager when I’m leaving.”

“Your… work?” 

“The bureau,” Elle said, getting into the passenger seat. 

“Oh.” Lily realized.

“C’mon, get in.” Jason pointed to the backseat door. 

“Oh… okay.” Lily opened the door and got in. There were two booths, each with a table in between the two chairs. She closed the door behind her and sat down on the booth to the right of the car. 

“Ready?” He turned on the engine. 

“Ten hours, here we come.” Elle groaned. 

Ten hours? Lily thought. “Yes, I’m ready.”


*****

The ten hours went by pretty fast. Lily didn’t sleep well the night before, so she fell asleep in the back of the car. Her hands were burning that night and the terror of her teacher, someone she should trust, turned out to be a murderer. He got so close to her, if he had one minute, he would have gotten her. Not only was he a murderer, but he was Lucifer, the king of all demons. 

Lily woke to the trailer coming to a stop. She didn’t remember what she was dreaming, but she didn’t care. The trailer stood above a tall building. It looked like an average skyscraper, tall, brown, and there were lots of windows. The door to her right suddenly opened, Jason stood in the doorway. 

“You coming?” he asked.

“Oh. Yeah…” Lily said. She got up and jumped out of the trailer. She landed on the asphalt and she looked up. It looked like the building went on forever. She could barely see the top. 

“It’s always surprising the first time you see it,” Jason said. She looked at him, he was looking at the top too. “But,” He said looking at her again, and grinned, “Wait till you see the inside.” 

“Are you guys done staring at the stupid building?” Elle said. She didn’t mean to be rude to them, she just hated buildings, she loved it when she was in nature. Lily knew this because she could read it in her expression, as well as in her mind. 

Lily wondered why Elle came to this job in the first place. She guessed Elle didn’t think about it much, because she didn’t read it in her mind. 

“Are you ready?” Jason asked Lily as he held out his hand. 

Lily placed her hand on his. He grinned a happy grin and Elle rolled her eyes. “Yes.” 

 


*****

Jason covered Lily’s eyes until they got inside. When he took his hands away she gasped. 

The floors were white marble, the walls were painted white also, but unlike Jason’s apartment, they had ocean paintings on the walls. There were tables everywhere, not workbenches, but booths that had a counter in the middle. The couches were a dark blue, the tables had actual marble on them. Waitresses wearing dark blue dresses with a white apron gave food to the workers sitting at the booths. In the middle of the booths was a tall counter holding a chocolate fountain. 

“Woah…” Lily heard herself say. 

“I know, right?” Elle squeaked. “The chocolate fountain is amazing! Just imagine dipping a strawberry in there! Yummy!” 

Of course, Elle was thinking about food, maybe she was such a good cook because all she would do was eat. How was that girl still skinny?

All of a sudden Jason started laughing. Lily looked over at him, then Elle. She was still staring at the fountain looking like she had hearts in her eyes. Like an anime character. Jason was still laughing. Lily was wondering what was so funny, she didn’t say anything, did she? 

“Lily,” he said, still snickering.

She looked over at him.

“You’re hilarious.” 

Lily stood in the middle of the woods. Green trees and grass surrounded her. But… something was wrong. There were no birds singing, no other person was there. What was she doing in that forest, and where was the way out? A low growl formed behind her. Fast, Lily turned and took a step back. A giant grey wolf stood above her. He was on top of the rock, staring down at her, his orange eyes and slit pupils looking at her. Terrified, she turned and was about to run. “Follow me everywhere I go,” She heard someone say. “Go over the mountains under the valley low,” She looked around, no one was there. “I’ll Give you everything you’ve been dreaming of, just let me take you.” The wolf started walking away from her and she thought she had to follow it. It was calling her. The wolf started running and she ran while the voice said, “Everything you wanted, don’t you wanna be in the magic story you’ve been told? and you’ll be safe under my control, just let me take you.” She couldn’t stop running, she couldn’t stop, her legs were tired. She must follow the wolf, she must follow…


Lily darted awake, what was that? She sat up, somehow she was on the floor. Her covers were tangled around her in a mess. 

She couldn’t fall asleep again, that dream felt like it was real. She could smell, taste, and feel the forest. But… What was that animal? Clearly, it was a wolf, but what did it resemble? Maybe she was too scared, maybe she just needed to relax for once. 

She stood up and examined the alarm clock, it was about 2:00 in the morning. She looked around. Her room was different, she’s never been in a room this fancy before. Her comforter was long and black, her queen-sized bed had matching sheets. The desk in her room also had black marble. The flooring was black and hardwood, it was like a luxury hotel. Although it didn’t look luxurious on the outside. Was it because they didn’t want any attraction to the outside? It was a “government” building. Did the president have knowledge that this existed? 

She looked at the door, it was painted white. I wonder if Jason is awake. She thought. Would it be rude to lightly knock on the door this early? 

She walked out of her door and started down the hall to Jason’s room. Follow me everywhere I go, go over the mountains or valley low, I’ll give you everything you’ve been dreaming of, just let me take you. What was that voice? Was it the wolf? It sounded like a boy, someone she should trust. 

Finally, she arrived at Jason’s door, she heard the TV on. Maybe he’s awake. She thought. She raised her hand to knock on the door when it opened. 

“Hey there.” Jason smiled. “Couldn’t sleep?”

Lily nodded.

“Come in.”

She walked into the room, it looked like hers but white, everything was white with him. Hopefully, he wasn’t offended by that thought.

“I’m not.” He said. He walked to the desk, a coffee machine was on the table. His room was cold, really cold. Lily could feel goosebumps forming on her skin. “Let me make some tea, it’ll warm you up.”

“So, how did you know I was out there?” she asked.

“I can read minds, remember?” 

“I know.” 

He held out her teacup and she took it. He held out his hand to the bed. “Sit, please.” She sat down. “So, tell me about this voice.” He said.

“Umm…” 

“It was a voice, right?”

“It was more of a dream…” 

“Ahh,” he said.

“Can mind readers read dreams?”

“Uh… No.”

“You hesitated.” she noticed.

“That’s because I can’t, but some can.”

“Hmm,” she mumbled. Everything you wanted, don’t you want to be in the magic story you’ve been told? You’ll be safe under my control, just let me take you.

“Lily.” 

She looked up, “Huh?”

“Are you okay?”

“Yes.” 

“You’re lying.”

“Ehh…” She looked down. “Ever had a dream… a dream where something happens and you don’t know what it means. But it impacts you severely so you can’t look away?”

“Yes.” he said, “Did you have one?”

“Y… Yeah.” she stammered. “It’s probably just an emotional problem.” Something told her she shouldn’t tell him what was going on. 

“You can tell me, you know that right?”

“I just don’t think I need you to solve all of my problems.”

“Lily…” 

“I really should go. I’m tired.” She got up, set the tea down, and opened the door. She stopped at the door and hesitated. “I’m sorry Jason, there’s just so much going on, I don’t know what to believe.”

“It’s okay,” he put his hand on her shoulder, the warmth didn’t comfort her this time, “We can talk about it later when you’re less raw.” 

Then she walked out. Leaving him staring after her with concern.


*****

Lily’s eyes shot open, sunlight glared through the blackout curtains. Another dream? Knocking resided through the door, “Rise and shine sweetheart, you have stuff to do today!” Jason called through the door. 

She got up and walked over to the door, opened it slightly, and Jason stood looking down while tapping his foot impatiently. 

She opened the door more and he looked up, “Sweetheart?” She asked. 

“I thought I would try it out. Are you ready?” 

Her hair was a tangled mess and she still wore the purple dress she wore the day before, but she still said, “Sure!” 

They walked out of the door and she closed it behind her. Did that really happen, was I really that mean to Jason last night? They started walking. 

Jason stayed silent. She looked at him from the side and he looked normal. Like his normal self, happy, although he wasn’t grinning. The butterflies were gone from her stomach. He was just staring off into space. 

“So,” Lily asked. He looked at her, “What are we going to do today?”

“Training for combat.” He responded as he looked away. 

Maybe I did something wrong. Was I too mean?

He sighed, “You weren’t mean at all. You just won’t talk to me, and you need to talk to someone. You can’t go through this alone.”

“So it did happen…” She said, “I can’t really tell when I’m dreaming or not. Sorry…”

“You don’t have to be sorry.” He put his hand on her shoulder. “Just take care of yourself.” 

She smiled, “Okay.” 

They stopped walking at the end of the building where a giant pair of double doors sat. 

Jason opened the right door and bowed down holding out his hand to the inside. “After you m’lady.” 

Lily chuckled a little, he was acting weird. But she didn’t care, she was just glad that he was trying to cheer her up. Everything you wanted, don’t you want to be in the magic story you’ve been told? And you’ll be safe under my control, just let me take you. 

“Lily?”

She looked up, “Yeah?”

“You’re spacing out again.” 

“Oh!” her hands turned into fists and they went back to their normal position. “Sorry…”

He sighed, “STOP APOLOGIZING.” 

“It’s just a way for me to say that I respect you. I don’t mean to be passive or annoying…” 

He placed his hand on top of her head. “You’re not annoying, now please go inside, I can’t hold these doors forever.” 

“Oh!” She walked forward, “Oops…” 

The room was full of weapons, there was a tall man and a girl with red hair and a boy with blonde hair standing next to him. The tall man had brown hair and blue eyes. Lily looked at the girl with red hair, she looked at Lily and smiled. Elle? She thought. 

“Lily,” Jason said, “Meet my older brother, Nathan.” The tall man looked at her and smiled. “Elle, Nathan, and I are going to be your teacher.” He turned to the blonde boy, the boy had scars all over his arms and face, he looked at Lily and smirked. “That is Zach, he is going to be learning with you.” 

“Hi!” Lily closed her eyes, smiled, and waved kindly. Zach just nodded his head.

She looked at Zach, I feel like I’ve seen him somewhere before. She thought. “Umm. Do I need to change?” she asked, even though she didn’t want to. 

“No,” Nathan said, “Part of combat training is learning how to defend yourself in any clothing.”

Elle clapped, “Okay! Let’s get started!”

“Huh, that’s odd,” Elle said to Jason. It was 12:00 in the morning and Lily was sleeping. Jason pulled Elle to the side when the training ended and asked her if they could talk when Lily’s not around. 

Elle sat on Jason’s queen-sized bed, Jason on the chair at his desk. He had his head in his hands and was staring at the floor. 

“I don’t know what’s going on with her. She’s usually really talkative,” he said quietly.

“Well, she said she was having nightmares?” Elle asked.

“Yeah, something about a wolf and a voice.”

“What did the voice say?” She asked.

“Follow me everywhere I go, go over the mountains under the valley low, I’ll give you everything you’ve been dreaming of, just let me take you. Everything you wanted, don’t you want to be in a magic story you’ve been told? And you’ll be safe under my control, just let me take you.”

“Hmm… Are you sure that those are the exact words?”

“Yes, I can still hear them going through her head.” Jason looked up. “What’s going on Elle?”

“I don’t know,” She got up, “Yet. Just give me a minute?” 

“Sure.” He nodded.

She walked out the door. 

Jason sat twiddling his thumbs. What’s going on? I don’t understand…

About five minutes later Elle ran into the room with a book in her hands. “Jason! Jason! JASON!” she screamed.

“What, what, what?”

“I FOUND it.” She showed him the book in her hands. 

“‘Mary May’s book of mythological creatures.” He read. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“I read it, and I found the exact quotes you told me!” She said, “I looked through like ten books, ‘Magic for mania’, ‘Dark magic’, even ‘forbidden magic’.” 

“You read all that in five minutes?”

She shrugged, “I’m a fast reader.” 

“So, what did you find?” he asked.

“Here!” she slammed the book on the desk and threw it open to page one hundred sixty-seven, “See?”

There was a picture of a grey wolf with bright orange eyes staring at the camera. 

“‘Werewolves’?” he looked at Elle with a disbelieving look. 

“Keep reading!” she whined.

Jason sighed and kept reading, this book nerd is definitely going crazy. He thought. 

“‘Werewolves’ natural habitat is the Friday green woods.” he looked at Elle, “Isn’t that nearby?”

She nodded.

Interested, he turned and continued reading, “‘Werewolves can have unused magic that is unknown to most. They use hypnotic spells used to control the victim. They take the victim’s wants and desires to control them. They only result in this when they want something from the victim.” Jason inhaled sharply, What if he’s trying to… “‘They usually don’t use this technique to kill off the victim, they only use it to get something out of it.” He exhaled, “Symptoms result in hallucinations, nightmares, lack of sleep, pushing away everyone but the wolf, and the repeating of words; Follow me, give you everything, let me take you, everything you wanted, you’ll be safe, and let me control you.’” He looked at the last sentence, “‘Werewolves can choose to be a wolf or a human, they are really intelligent and they can fit into society very well. They are considered sociopaths.’” He closed the book, “How is this possible?” He put his hand on top of his head, running his fingers through his hair. “There hasn’t been a spotting of a mythical creature for a hundred years.” 

“Well,” Elle said, picking up the book, “It did say that they blend within society really well.” 

“So. Lily… is being controlled by some wolf?”

“Yes. There’s a catch though,” she said, setting the book on the bed. 

“What’s that?” Jason groaned. 

“How would the werewolf reach Lily? The Friday forest is miles away.”

Jason sighed, “I don’t know…” He looked up, “Are you saying…?”

She nodded, “The wolf is blending in here, he breached our security.”

“Oh no… Lily’s in danger.” 

“Not yet.” She smiled kindly, “The spell hasn’t fully worked yet, so we still have hope. We can counteract it.” 


*****

“Where are we going?” Lily asked kindly as Jason dragged her down the hall. 

“You’ll see.” He turned over to her and smiled. 

They stopped by a door with carvings of bears and wolves. 

“What are we doing here?” she questioned. 

“You are going to learn how to control your thoughts!” Elle yelled excitedly from the other direction. 

“Control my… thoughts?” Lily wondered out loud.

“Yes! Jason is going to teach you!” 

Lily looked over in Jason’s direction, I thought you couldn’t teach me. But you said that you know someone that can.

“Yes,” Jason stated responding to her thoughts. “I didn’t lie. I know someone that knows all about this stuff, and I am just his helper.” 

“Oh…” Lily mumbled, “Sorry…” 

She heard Jason walking up to her and she flinched, he tilted her head up, “Why don’t you get it? When someone tells you to STOP APOLOGISING you STOP APOLOGISING.”

Lily nodded. 

“Do we have an understanding?” he said harshly.

She nodded again.

“Good.” he let go of her chin and started walking to the door. He stopped and spun around, “One more thing,”

She looked at him quizzically.

“You don’t need to be afraid of me, I’m only trying to help you. So you don’t need to flinch.” He gave her a thumbs-up, “Got that?” 

She stayed silent and stared at him. “Why am I suddenly learning to control my mind?” 

“Umm…” Elle grumbled.

“You don’t want to?” Jason asked. Thinking fast.

“No. No! I never said that!” 

“Then why are you questioning us? For all you know we just want you to be happy, and I’m sure you don’t want me reading your mind all the time.” He waited for her to answer.

“You're right, I’m sorry…” Jason raised his eyebrows. “Oops… never mind.” 

He turned around and pushed open the door. 

The room was a normal room this time. Not fancy, but like a yoga room. Mats surrounded the room, “Are we doing yoga?” Lily asked Jason. 

“Ehh… Kinda?”

Confused, Lily walked into the room. Elle closed the door behind them and walked away. “Hello!” A man yelled in the room. He walked up to Lily and smiled. He had blonde hair and brown eyes, and he was wearing a polo shirt and jeans. 

“Zach?” Lily wondered.

“Yes?” He said, teasing her.

“You’re the teacher?” she questioned. 

“Am I not allowed to be?” He grinned, making Lily frustrated. 

“Yes, Zach is the teacher. He is a professional with mind-reading.” Jason said.

“O… oh…” Lily realized. 

“C’mon let’s get our minds under control!” Zach said. 

They sat on the floor, Lily was sitting crisscrossed while Jason and Zach sat in front of her. 

“Okay. Now let's relax.” Zach said, surprisingly calming. Lily closed her eyes. “Now. In order to get people to stop reading your mind. You need to picture a giant sphere circling around you.” 

“A sphere?” Lily asked, opening one eye. 

“Yes. Now keep your eyes closed.” Zach ordered.

Lily closed her eyes, when had Zach become so ordering? She pictured a giant wall surrounding her. She could hear no thoughts, and no one could hear hers. She felt safe in that wall, in the comfort that she was okay. 

Follow me everywhere I go. Lily opened her eyes. Go over the mountains under the valley low. She was in a forest, she doesn’t remember going there. I’ll give you everything you’ve been dreaming of, just let me take you. Lily turned to see a wolf walking up to her. He snarled at her, baring his teeth. Everything you wanted. Lily spun in the other direction and ran. 

Panting she ran and ran but she couldn’t find the way out. Panic rose inside her throat. 

Something stood in front of her. She stopped in her tracks and squinted at the figure. It wasn’t something, it was someone. He had brown hair and she could barely see emerald green eyes. 

“Jason!” Lily called, “Jason help me! The wolf! It’s coming!” She ran towards him. 

As she reached him she turned around to see the wolf creeping up to her. 

A groaning noise came from behind her. She turned to see Jason’s eyes bleeding. 

“Jason…?” she whispered. 

He opened his mouth and blood poured out of it, gaging he fell to the ground, shaking and trembling. 

“Jason!” Lily was horrified, the blood kept on pouring and pouring. “JASON!” Lily fell down, her knees hitting the dirt. Growling resinated behind her, and you’ll be safe under my control, just let me take you. 

*****

“JASON! JASON! JASON!” Lily screamed as she shot up from the bed.

“Hey. It’s okay, I’m here.” 

She looked up. He was there, really there. He wasn’t dead, he wasn’t hurt, and he was there. 

“Jason!” She cried, grabbed him, and wrapped her arms around him. “Jason, Jason, Jason, Jason…” she sobbed. Tears poured down her face. 

“It’s okay.” He said, hugging her back. “You really scared me, fainting like that.” 

“I thought… I thought you died… There was so much blood...” She wept. 

“It’s okay. It’s just a dream.”

She let go and wiped her eyes. She looked up as the world came back into focus. Jason sat there on her bed. She was wrapped up in her covers. She was scared. Terrified, and he was always there to help her. She smiled at his concerned face. 

She pulled him close and hugged him again, fitting her head over his shoulder. She could feel the warmth resonating from his body.

“Woah.” He said. He put his hand on her back. “You okay?”

“Yes, I’m okay.” She was better than okay, she felt wonderful. She felt wonderful because he was there, Jason was there and she felt safe around him.

His warmth was wonderful, she didn’t care about the nightmares. All that mattered was that Jason was safe. 

“Hey, Lily?” He said, pulling back, “Can I talk to you?” 

She let go of him and smiled, “Sure.” 

He placed his hands on hers and made her blush. “So, is there….” Shoot! How do I word this? He thought. “Is there anyone who you… feel… attached to?” 

Lily’s smile faded, “What do you mean?” 

“Someone you… like…?” 

“I…” She stammered. “I umm…” Her face turned to beat red and she looked away not before taking her hands back. 

Confused, Jason settled his hands on his lap. He looked at her with utmost concern. 

“You… what…?” 

“I like you!” She yelled as she closed her eyes. Was this too soon? Why was this so hard? She looked at him, her face completely red. 

He was still looking at her with worry in his eyes. Then he looked away. “Umm…” He mumbled, not knowing what to say. “I meant someone else… Like maybe you see him as a brother or something?” For the first time, he was the one blushing. 

“Oh…” Why the heck did I say that. Oh my gosh, I’m such an idiot. Lily thought. Quickly she looked at Jason, it looked like he didn’t read her mind because his facial expression didn’t change, and he didn’t yell at her for calling herself names like he usually does. Good the training’s working. 

“Why did you give me lessons? It’s related to my nightmares, isn’t it,” she asked him. 

He looked away, partly annoyed that she ignored the question. Sweat running down the side of his head. “Y… Yes.” He said. He couldn’t tell her because if she knew, god if she knew then he didn’t know how she would react. She would get confused, and he didn’t want her to worry. Worrying about herself is something she didn’t need added to her caseload. It’s already stacked to the ceiling. Too much has happened to her, way too much. No one of any age should go through this. 

“Can you tell me why?” She leaned closer. 

“Sorry, I don’t have enough information.” He lied. 

“You know,” She said, leaning back until her back hit the soft bed. “You’re not the only one who can tell when someone’s lying.” 

She could see him tense. Then he relaxed. “I just… I just don’t want you to worry too much.” He muttered. She could tell that he was actually telling the truth. 

She rolled over and crawled onto his lap and laid her head on it. 

“L… Lily?” He was surprised, what was with her sudden need to hug him today? 

“It’s fine,” She yawned. “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.” 

“I…” He stammered, “Thank… Thanks for understanding.” He put his hand on her head. 

Silence.

He looked down at her. Her eyes were closed and she was breathing softly. She’s sleeping. He thought.

Should he leave? Or should he stay? She looked so peaceful. Maybe he should stay, she would probably have another nightmare if he left. He wanted her to feel safe, secure, not afraid. 

He turned his head to look at the clock. 

2:00 a.m. 

He carefully took her head off his lap and lightly laid her on the bed. Then he pulled the covers over her sleeping body. 

He took one of the unused pillows off the bed and laid down on the floor. 

A gentle shake woke Lily out of her blank dreams. No nightmares, no real dreams, just pure black, and white. Maybe she couldn’t remember or did she really dream of nothing?

Someone shook her again, “Mmm…” She mumbled, “Five more minutes.” 

“No Lily,” a familiar voice whispered, “I want you to come with me. Before he wakes up.” 

She looked up, in the blurriness of her eyes, she could make out his shape and form. Large muscles bulging through his shirt, small brown eyes, sharp jaw, and his glistening fair hair as if he just got out of the shower. 

Zach. 

“What are you doing?” She whispered. 

“Come on, I want to show you something,” he responded. 

“Ugh.” She sighed. She looked to the right, the clock showed 4:00 am. “Okay.” 

Zach grinned as she slipped her legs off her bed and then she paused. Jason settled on the ground, his brown hair in a tangled mess and his head rested on his hand. Lily’s heart skipped a beat at his resting face, his eyelashes so long and thin. They brushed his cheek as he slept. 

She slowly got off the bed and placed the covers on his side. He shifted slightly, not enough to wake up though. 

She slipped on her socks and followed Zach into the hall. Then lightly closed the door behind her. “What’s up?” She asked. She doesn’t know why but being around Zach by herself always made her feel like her true self. 

“I want to show you something really cool.” he grinned. 

“At four in the morning?” she wondered. 

“Are you questioning me, sweetheart?” He raised an eyebrow. 

“N… no…” She sighed. “Let’s go.”

He turned to the right and walked down the hall, they walked and walked. It felt like they were walking forever. They passed the kitchen, dining room, lobby, then they entered a dark staircase. 

Something told her she should not be here. She stopped at the head of the stairs and Zach, already a few feet down, turned to look at her. “Are you coming or what?” He glared. 

“Are… we even supposed to be here?” She glanced around. It was dark all the way down, with no lights or torches.

“Why? Are you scared?” He smirked. 

She stayed silent. Just stared at his brilliant brown eyes. 

Zach sighed, “If you're wondering if there are monsters down here I gotta say yes, if it’s the mummy, zombie, monsters your afraid of I am gonna say no.” 

Scared Lily looked at the floor, what did he mean by monsters? 

“Come on, we ain’t got forever.” He said angrily.

Lily continued down the staircase following him, she glanced behind her as the door shut, trapping them down into the darkness.

Suddenly a light burst from Zach’s cellphone. Lily flinched as the light burst through the entire room. When she looked up she noticed that she was in a dungeon. The walls were lined with cells, she didn’t know exactly what was in them, but she didn’t really know if she wanted to. 

Zach pointed to the first cell on their right, “That’s the cell of the evil twins of Sacariah,” He said, “They were put here because of all the murders they placed on this world.” He pointed to the cell on the left, “That’s the cell for the child killer Maddox.” He walked down the hall pointing to every cell and telling Lily their name and what they had done. Then they reached the end of the hall where a giant cell door stood with a picture of an angel holding two swords crossed. “That,” he said, “Is the cell that is supposed to be for the king of all demons.” 

“Lucifer…” Lily whispered. “Why are you showing me all these things?”

“Clearly you know.” 

“Know what?” She asked.

“That someone is interfering with your brain and that’s causing your nightmares.” 

“H… How did you know I was having nightmares…?” She took a step back. 

“Sweetie, Jason’s not the only mind reader around here.” 

“I… suppose that makes sense.” She took another step back. 

“Stop,” Zach ordered. 

She stopped in her tracks. “Why?” 

“I’ll take you to your room, but promise me that you won’t tell Jason what I just showed you.” 

She nodded. 

“Okay then!” He smiled, a complete personality change. “Let’s go!”

They walked all the way to her room and Zach grabbed her arm before she entered.  

She turned to look at him, “Not. One. Single. Word. Out of your pretty little mouth. Got that?” He narrowed his eyes into a glare. 

She nodded submissively, she didn’t want Zach mad at her and she didn’t know why. 

“Good. Bye now.” At that, he walked away. 

Lily opened her door to find Jason still laying on the ground. 

She laid next to him and cuddled up with him setting her head on his chest. So many things she had to process, there were dangerous killing villains in the basement, and someone was messing with her mind, was it Lucifer?

Scared for her life and her friends she closed her eyes, taking in Jason’s warmth. 


*****

“Lily.” Someone said it was a woman’s voice, soft and kind. “Lily.” 

Slowly Lily opened her eyes, in the blurriness she could make out the sound of an ocean, she saw a beautiful woman with beautiful blonde hair, more beautiful than hers. Wings sprouted from her back and she was wearing a gorgeous white prom dress. 

Lily leaned up, “Mom?” 

She tucked a strand of golden hair behind Lily’s ear. “My love, look how beautiful you have become.” Her mother smiled. 

“What are you doing here?” She looked around, “And where am I?” Lily saw ocean waves lightly crashing at her feet. Palm trees surrounded her, and the wind softly tugged at her hair. She lay on the sand, and she was wearing a white dress, not as beautiful as her mother’s, but it fit her perfectly.

“You're dreaming but our encounter is real.” Her mother said. 

“What do you mean?” Lily asked.

Her mother’s smile faded, “Lily I must warn you,” She tucked another strand of hair behind her ear, “You’re in incredible danger.” 

“What are you talking about?” 

“Do you remember how I died?” She asked.

“You walked out of the house kind of in a trance and I followed you.” Lily swallowed, “I found you in an alley and you were bleeding from your ears, mouth, nose, and eyes.” Tears stung her eyes. “And I never found out who killed you and how.” 

“Well, now you know who, right?” 

“Y… yes.” Lily swallowed.

“Well, now all you need to know is how.” She gazed at the distance. 

“Do…” Lily looked up, “Do you know how?” 

“Yes,” She cupped Lily’s cheeks, “It’s the power of death. If you stare in their red eyes, they will consume you and you will die.” She sighed, “I did trust Lucifer at one time, but his need to repay me was taking you from me.” She smiled, “I’m so glad he hasn’t reached you yet.” 

Lily swallowed, “Do you know what he wants with me?” 

Her mother stayed silent. “I’m sorry I must go,” She said finally and smiled sadly. 

“No! You have to tell me! Don’t go!” 

Her mother’s image started fading, “Promise me. Promise me you won’t look in his eyes.” She pleaded. 

“Mom! Don’t go!” Lily reached to touch her mother’s hand but her hand went right through.

“Promise me please!” Her mother cried.
“I… I promise!” 

She smiled, “Be strong, sweetheart, trust no one but yourself and your friends.” 

“Mom…” 

Then she faded, leaving Lily alone with the lonely crashing waves.

 

*****

When Lily woke at 7:00 a.m. Jason was gone. I don’t know who to trust. She thought, Do I consider Jason a friend? She sat up painfully, sleeping on the floor was awful! Why did people do it in the first place? She stood up, I hope I didn’t freak Jason out last night… I was just trying to be less scared. 

A knock came suddenly at the door, “Yes?” Lily called.

“C’mon! Breakfast is served!” That didn’t sound like Jason… and not Zach either… 

She opened the door to find Nathan, Jason’s older brother, standing there. “Hey there,” He said looking down at her, “You coming?” 

“Where’s Jason?” Lily asked, looking around.

“He said he had to take care of something.” He smiled, “C’mon let’s go.” He grabbed Lily’s hand and pulled her out of the doorway. Then he shut the door behind them. He started walking towards the dining hall. Lily followed behind him. 

“What did he have to do?” She asked politely. 

“Who knows. It’s always a mystery with that boy.” 

When they entered the dining hall the smell of pancakes and waffles filled the air. Lily’s stomach grumbled. She was hungry, she forgot she hadn’t eaten in days. 

“Jason told me you must eat at least ten pancakes today,” Nathan said setting pancakes on a plate. 

“Ten pancakes?!” Lily was shocked. Those things were huge!

“Nah,” Nathan Laughed, “I’m just jokin’ he did say that you have to eat though.” 

“O... kay…” She put a pancake on her plate. 

“Just one?” He asked while he raised an eyebrow.

Lily looked at him and back at her plate, her nerves fluttered around her stomach. What’s wrong with me? She thought. “I… I’m not a big eater…” 

“Well, at least get some fruit.” He pointed at the fruit bar. “I haven’t heard of anyone who doesn’t like strawberries.” 

Lily sighed and grabbed a couple of strawberries from the bar. They sat down at the booth to the right of the dining hall, the chair was really cold. Nathan sat across from Lily and she just stared at her plate. 

And you’ll be safe under my control, just let me take you. 

“Lily.” 

Lily looked up, “Yes?” 

“Did you hear anything I just told you?” He narrowed his eyes. 

Lily could feel the heat rising in her face, “N… no.” 

“Good. ‘Cause I didn’t say anything.” He grinned, his bright white teeth shining in the dim breakfast light. 

Lily’s face turned red again and she took a bite of a strawberry. It was fresh, she could tell. She knew because it was perfectly sweet and she could taste the flavor blast as she took other bites. 

“Wow. So much for ‘I’m not a big eater’.” Lily looked up to find Nathan smirking down at her. He was so tall, he was even towering over her while sitting. How is that even possible?!

“Says the person who eats elephants twice a day,” Jason said walking into the room. 

“Well, well, well, look who decided to show up. You were taking so long I thought your girlfriend here,” he pointed to Lily, “Was going to fall for me.”

Yep. They were definitely brothers.

Jason looked at Lily, their gazes locking. Quickly she blushed and looked away.

“What were you doing anyway?” Nathan asked Jason. 

“Important stuff.” 

Lily saw Nathan sigh and roll his eyes while mouthing “Duh” 

“My question is what were you doing last night, Lily.”

Still, looking away Lily said nothing, did he know that she left? Should she tell him that Zach took her to the prison cells? Not. One. Word. Out of your pretty little mouth. Got that? His glare was intense, it was terrifying. 

“LILY,” Jason growled. Quickly she looked at him. 

There was something in her eyes. It was fear, it swirled around like you were mixing batter. 

 Jason sighed and sat next to her, “It’s fine if you don’t want to say anything now. But you have to tell me later.” Gosh, darn that wolf. Look what it’s doing to her.

“I can’t, I promised Za...” She gripped her head, burning pain formed around her temples. Whimpering she gripped harder. Not. One. Word. Someone repeated. It wasn’t Zach, it sounded like someone else. Their voice was low and it sounded like a growl. 

“Lily!” Someone said, she couldn’t hear who, it sounded like a mumble. 

“Lily!” Someone else yelled. His voice was quieter. 

“Nathan! It’s happening again!” The first voice yelled. It was Jason, but why did he sound so quiet? 

“Fight it, Lily!” Nathan yelled. When did Nathan get so serious? 

“Please! Don’t faint again!” Jason yelled. 

How? How could she fight this? The pain was unbearable. Then the lights went out. The darkness surrounded her, consuming her every being. Am I dead? She thought. Yes. Probably dead.

“It’s been two days and she still hasn’t woken up!” Jason cried. His emerald green eyes blurred from tears, his hair in a tangled mess. He sat in the infirmary chair, the wood uncomfortably digging into his back.

“Jason. Why don’t you go rest, I can take care of her for you.” Elle softly said. 

“No. I don’t want to leave her.” 

“Jason, you haven’t slept in forty-eight hours, and you haven’t taken one shower in three days.” Nathan put his hand on Jason’s shoulder. “At least take a bath. Relax. We can watch her for a little while.” 

“No,” Jason growled while shaking off his grip.

“Jason…” Elle whispered. 

Jason’s hands turned into fists, his nails digging into his palms. “I don’t care, I’m not leaving her side. Not now not ever.” More tears slipped from his eyes. “Lily…” He kneeled by her side, “If you can hear me…” He took her hand, “Please wake up. Please.” 

“She’ll wake up, I’m sure of it,” Zach said at the door. 

Jason glanced over his shoulder, “Hey Zach,” he turned around, “She was about to tell me who took her out of her room a couple nights ago.” He stepped closer, “The name started with a Z and an A, that wasn’t you, was it?”

“Hey, I don’t go waltzing into girls’ rooms without their permission like you do, Jason.” He narrowed his gaze into a glare. His eyes piercing daggers into Jason’s soul. 

“Boys, boys, you’re both pretty.” Elle stepped between them. “Now, why don’t you both leave and give Lily some space.” 

“That means you, Jason.” Nathan hissed.

Jason groaned angrily and stormed out of the room. 

“Wow, Mental that one,” Zach muttered. He walked over to Lily and watched as her eyelids moved. “I wonder what she’s dreaming about,” he whispered. 

“I wonder as well.” Elle sat on the bed and held her friend’s hand.


*****

After taking a twelve-hour nap and showering for forty minutes, Jason walked down to the infirmary. Lily laid there breathing softly. 

“Well, at least you’re not having nightmares.” He murmured. 

He sat on the chair, the usual uncomfortable backrest was still there, digging its way into his spine. He watched as her eyelids moved. “Are you dreaming of something nice, or are you stuck in a black abyss?” He whispered. “What’s going on? Why didn’t you talk to me? If you did, I could’ve prevented this from happening.” He grabbed her hand. Tears of distress slipped from his eyes and dripped on her skin. “Don’t leave me… You’re the only one I can care for… The only one I fell in love with… Please don’t go.” 


*****

Floating in the dark abyss, Lily stared into the darkness. She could hear Jason’s words. But she couldn’t feel him touching her hand. She longed for that feeling. To feel his hand on hers. To feel the warmth seeping through his skin. 

“I don’t want to leave you, Jason.” She murmured into the darkness. “But, I have no control over my body anymore.” 

“You know…” She heard Jason say. “My parents died in a car accident when I was little. I used to have two sisters. They were both in the car when…” She could hear his voice crack. She didn’t want him to cry, is this how he felt when she cried? She never knew how this felt. “When my mother drove off the bridge.” 

What? 

“She drove off the bridge to get rid of us. We were magical beings and she felt like we were demons.” She heard him sniffle. “We crashed into thousands of trees, it felt like ages, falling, whiplash for every tree we hit. She killed both of my sisters, herself, and my father. My brother and I are the only ones who survived.” Hearing him weeping made her heart ache. Hiccups escaped his throat as he cried silently. All she wanted to do was hold his hand and tell him that everything was going to be okay. 

But, she couldn’t. She was stuck in this darkness and she couldn’t escape.

“You’re the only one I can connect with. My brother and I don’t connect that well. We don’t understand each other.” She could hear him lean closer. “So please wake up. I need you.” 

“That’s too bad.” A voice inside her head said dramatically whimpering. “You can’t talk back to your boyfriend. But don’t worry! You’ll reunite with him again. Later. When I’m through with you.” 

Lily sat up in the darkness, “Who are you? What do you want?” 

“We’ll meet.” The voice laughed.

“You’re Zach, aren’t you.” She narrowed her eyes. 

“Let’s say I am.” It chuckled, “What are you going to do about it?” 

“I’ll escape this place. And I’ll help my friends to kill you.”

“Really?” It chuckled again. “We’ll see about that.” 

Suddenly the darkness latched on her legs, pulling her deeper into the black water. Screaming, Lily dug her fingers in the darkness and pried her legs out of the water. 

She ran and ran. There was nowhere to Jason, to her Jason. She was stuck. Slowly she sank into the water. The darkness consuming her in its cold, black state. She gave up, there was nowhere to go, she was lost. 

She was gone. Lost in the shadows of her mind. 

Jason left the room for ten minutes, ten minutes is all it took and Lily was no longer there. She was gone. Really gone. How? How would she disappear like this?

Frantically, Jason searched the infirmary, they weren’t doing surgery this late, right? It was 10:30 p.m. 

“Lily!” He called, running down the halls. “LILY.” He ran up the stairs to her room. She wasn’t there. 

Where the hell is she? 

He ran up the hall, searching the whole building. How the hell did she disappear like this? Five days in bed? She couldn’t walk. 

Unless…

“Jason!” Elle yelled. “I’m trying to sleep!” 

He stared off in horror, fear rushed its way from his back up his throat. He couldn’t breathe. 

“Jason…? Are you okay?” Elle walked over to him. 

Unless… 

“Elle. We need to lock down the entire building,” he said sternly. 

“What? Why?” 

“That wasn’t a question. Now go!” He walked to the far wall and pulled the security alarm. 

Bells rang around the entire building, shaking the foundation. 

Elle ran to the security desk completely shaking. “We need to lock down the entire building. No one in or out.” her voice shook.

The security guard nodded and got on the phone. With a click, all the electronic locks on the doors were secured. 

She ran through the halls searching for Jason. Terror flowing through her stomach. 

She ran down the hall, through the hall. No sign of him. Then she heard a loud BANG. 

She turned to see Jason throwing Zach against a wall. Elle ran over to them and stood in front of Jason. 

“Jason! STOP.” She screamed. “WHAT IS GOING ON.”

Jason pushed past Elle and grabbed Zach by his shirt. “Where is she?” He growled. Zach let him pick him up and glared at Jason’s angry face. “WHERE IS SHE.” 

“I didn’t touch her!” He shouted. 

“LIAR.” And he threw him against the wall again. Zach hit it then fell to the ground, panting heavily. 

“Jason! What is going on?” Elle grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

“Someone took Lily!” He roared. “And that someone was a wolf!” 

“I understand, but Zach is not a wolf.” She said calmly. 

“Tell her,” Jason said. “TELL HER OR I WILL.” 

Zach sighed and stood up, wincing. “I am a werewolf.” He pointed to Jason. “But I did NOT take your girlfriend.” 

“Then who did?” Elle asked, still calmly. 

“Ask the demon lord,” Zach growled.

“You are a pathetic little…” Jason started.

“How?” Elle asked, “He can’t enter our security.” 

“Not your security. But once he reaches her mind, he can do anything.” 

Elle's eyes widened. “We don’t search for the culprit, we search for Lily.” 

“Wha…” Jason started but Elle grabbed his arm, then Zach’s arm, and pulled them toward the exit. 

“We have to find Lily! If he took over her mind, then she’s the one trying to escape.” Elle stated.

All three of them ran to the exit to find Lily standing there with a knife in her hand. Blood stained her knife as well as her arms and face. All five guards laid at her feet, blood pooled under each of them. 

Bile rose in Elle’s throat.

“The wonders of what you can do with a steak knife,” Zach said. 

“This is not a Joke,” Jason hissed, “Lily.” He inched closer. She looked over at them. No sign of emotion on her face, her eyes were hazed over with a dark shade of blue, they didn’t shimmer like Jason wanted. Her eyebrows raised and her mouth slightly parted. “Put the knife down…” He stepped another inch. 

She rose the knife and threw it at their heads, barely missing Elle’s face. “Mmm. I don’t like this, Jason.” Elle whimpered. 

Lily rushed to the doors and threw them open, the locks bashed outward and she ran out. 

“After her!” Zach yelled.


*****

“Don’t think that I trust you…” Jason panted to Zach. 

“More… Running less… talking…” Elle wheezed. 

“Where is that girl going?” Zach asked. He wasn’t panting, well, he was a werewolf so he was used to running.

Lily was about one hundred yards in front of them, racing like a cheetah. 

“Ugh… My sides are starting to cramp…” Elle groaned.

“Deal with it.” Jason ordered, “We have to find Lily and help her. She’s your friend right?” 

“Do you know where we are?” Elle asked.

They entered a forest of some kind. Green trees started turning gold and brown for fall. It would have been nice if they weren’t running to their death. Lily was more than two hundred feet ahead dashing faster. Jason and Zach ran ahead, leaving Elle to rush after them. 

They entered a giant circle, rocks surrounded a tall chair. Broken pine needles covered the ground. The crisp fall air dug its way into Jason’s skin. Lily stood at the edge of the chair. Staring at them, eyes glazed over. She had no control, Jason knew it. There must be some way to get her back. 

Wait.

Something sat in the chair, he was tall, blonde, and his red eyes dug their way into Jason’s soul. Quickly Jason looked away from his eyes and looked at his stance. His legs were crossed, one hand propping up his chin, the other dangling off the armrest. And his lips curled into a smile. Something about that smile made Jason so angry. 

“Lucifer,” Zach said. 

He looked over to Zach, his smile fading. “Hello there, Zach. I see you have failed me, I had to do everything myself.” His hand was released and his legs uncrossed. He jumped off of the chair and stood next to Lily. He whispered something in her ear, and she got into a fighting stance. 

Jason could see the words echoing from her body. Follow me, I’ll give you everything, let me take you, you’ll be safe, let me control you. 

“Lily! Please! I know you’re in there! Don’t listen to him! Fight him!” Jason yelled. 

Nothing.

“Lily, do it.” Lucifer grinned. He handed her something, something shiny. A knife. 

She looked over to Jason, eyes focused, but still lost. She darted from her spot and ran toward him, he dodged her attack barley, a light scratch formed on his bicep, he grabbed her arm and pulled her toward him. 

He held her wrist tightly until she dropped the knife. Then he closed his eyes, Lily trying to get out of his grip. 

“Lily! KILL HIM.” Lucifer yelled.

She couldn’t move, her eyes stared off into space. 

“Lily! Oh for god’s sake.” He started storming up to them when Elle and Zach blocked his way. 

“Zach, you know what happens when you get in my way.” Lucifer hissed through gritted teeth. 

“Elle, don’t look into his eyes,” Zach said. 

“I know.” She inched closer to Lucifer. 

They both knew what to do, protect Jason and Lily until Jason finished. 

Lucifer kicked out his foot, almost to Zach’s shin when Elle grabbed his leg and threw him twelve yards back.

Caught off guard, Lucifer hit the ground hard getting the wind knocked out of him. 

Rising from the ground he curled his lips into a sneer, “Wow. For a girl, you pack quite a punch.” He stood up, “But, you are still no match for me. No teenager, woman, or man can defeat me.” 

“That’s a lie.” Zach smiled. “I know you have a weakness.” 

“If you have any need to live you’ll shut up.” Lucifer scowled.

“I know what you need Lily for.” Zach dared to continue.

“Shut up.” He said again.

“I know your backstory.” 

Lucifer darted toward Zach and drove his fist right into his stomach. Zach fell back, doubled over in pain. Gasping for air. Elle stared in horror. “You’re an idiot,” Lucifer said, walking up to Zach. “You shouldn’t share your father’s secrets without his permission.” He said calmly.

Wait. What? Elle thought. “He’s your FATHER?” 

Lucifer glanced over his shoulder, Zach darted over to Lucifer and slammed his fist into his face. Lucifer fell over, hitting the ground. Covering his face with his right hand, “You are a little…” Blood trailed down his face and dripped onto his pants. “You broke my nose, that’s not very nice.” 

He got up and froze in place. His feet suddenly burned with cold. He looked down, his feet were stuck to the ground, with… Ice? Where did that come from?

“Ahh…” He glanced over his shoulder, “You’re an ice witch.” 

Elle stood there with her hands stretched out, her fingers red from the freezing cold. “You don’t mess with us, understand?” 

“How could I?” He broke both of his feet out from the ice and kicked her feet out from under her. She fell to the ground, the impact leaving her breathless. 

“Come on Jason, we need you,” Zach mumbled. 

Lucifer grabbed Zach by his shirt and forced him to look into his eyes, his blood… red… eyes…

“Hello?” Jason’s voice echoed. “Lily?” 

It was dark in Lily’s mind, there was darkness everywhere, no light. He wondered where could she, the real Lily, be? He walked around, the black water pushing at his feet. 

Something laid in the dark water, a girl. Jason ran up to her, he held her close. “Lily.” He tapped her cheek with the back of his hand. “Hey. Sleeping right now is not a good idea, knowing your friends are risking their lives at this very minute.” 

Slowly her eyes opened, “Ja… son…?” She whispered. “What are you doing here?” 

“I’m here to help you fight this bastard.” He said. “Now let’s go, we have to find the source.” He helped her up onto her feet, “Where is he…?” he wondered out loud, tapping his forefinger to his chin.

Lily looked at him with worry. “I still don’t understand how you got here…” she uttered.

“Where is he…” Jason continued looking around, ignoring her. 

Suddenly, the ground started shaking. Lily screeched and latched onto Jason’s arm. “There he is!” Jason sounded almost delighted. 

A giant monster, the size of the twin towers before they were destroyed, formed above them. He was made of black slime, the slime that consumed Lily. She was terrified. 

“Do you remember the training?” Jason asked her. 

“Y… yes…” She said not wanting to know what he was going to ask her to do.

“I want you to fight him,” Jason said, grinning.

Yep. He just asked her that.

“What? WHAT? You want me to fight,” She pointed to the monster, “That?” 

He nodded.

Ugh. She had to fight that giant thing. Finally, she grinned, for the first time. “Let’s do this!” 

Delighted, Jason clapped his hands, “Yes! That’s the spirit!” 

Lily closed her eyes, focusing on her surroundings, what she heard, smelled, tasted, and felt. Slow breathing occurred behind her, that was Jason’s breathing. Water splashed at her feet. Then a loud roar occurred in front of her, throwing Lily out of her focus. The monster grabbed her waist and threw her in the air. Lily screamed, falling fast, she closed her eyes. Just one more time. She thought. 

She closed her eyes, focused on her four senses. She took a deep breath. Suddenly she stopped falling, when she opened her eyes she was floating in mid-air. 

“Yes!” Jason yelled from below. “This is your mind! Now throw him out!” 

How? She looked around, everything surrounding her was black. “So… If this monster is made of darkness…” She looked down at her hand. “Then its weakness is light!” 

The monster threw its hand out, smacking Lily to the ground. Breathless, Lily choked on the cold dark air. The monster grabbed her by the waist and started consuming her again. She didn’t want that to happen. She wanted to be with her friends, they meant everything to her. 

“Lily!” Jason yelled.

Ignoring him, Lily closed her eyes as the darkness reached her throat. She couldn’t breathe, it was like drowning, the feeling of not being able to breathe was unbearable. Gasping, Lily tried to focus again. I am the flame, I am the fire. She remembered. 

Heat rose up her legs, past her spine, through her hair.  She could feel the slime melting away. Fire stung her throat, when the demonic monster finally let go, Lily fell to the ground coughing and gasping for air. Fire still burning her skin, she sat up struggling to stand. 

“Lily, look!” Jason yelled excitedly.

Lily looked up, gripping her chest, panting. The demonic beast melted and fell to ashes as fire consumed its entire being. Lily stared down at her hands, they were glowing red like a chunk of iron pulled out of one-thousand-degree heat. Slowly the darkness faded, leaving a world full of memories. When Jason and her first met, when her teacher Mr. Collins was helping her read, her mother before she died, and other happy memories that appeared making her smile.

She did it, she freed herself from the werewolf’s grasp.

She looked over to Jason who was smiling and nodding his head. “Nicely done.” 

“Will fighting Lucifer be that easy?” Lily chuckled.

“That was easy?” Jason asked, eyebrows raised.

“No.” She smiled.

“Well, it’s going to be a lot harder to defeat him. Worse than death.” He walked over to her and patted her on the shoulder. “But I have no doubt that we… no you can defeat him.”

Lily grinned a happy grin, Jason liked seeing her this confident. “I have no doubt either.” 


*****

Blood reached its way up Zach’s throat. His eyes blurred by red, his mouth tasted of copper. He knew what was happening, but he just couldn’t look away.  Those eyes, he wanted to be lost in them for ages.

“Zach!” Elle yelled. “ZACH. Look away!” Her voice was distant, but he could still hear her. He couldn’t look away though, Lucifer’s red eyes were consuming his entire body. He ached, he wanted out, it hurt. He could feel the color draining out of his skin. 

Something appeared behind his father’s back, he grabbed Lucifer’s jacket and threw him back. 

Zach crashed to the ground on his stomach, coughing and gagging. Blood trailed from the corner of his mouth to the edge of his chin. The taste of copper nauseated him.

“Zach?” Someone said, “Zach!” The person grabbed Zach by his shirt and rolled him over. “Get up, damn it! You idiot!” 

Zach slowly opened his eyes, his vision blurred by the blood. He coughed, choking on his own gore. 

“Zach?” A girl said, “Oh my god! Is he going to be okay?”

“Yes, he is. He didn’t look into his eyes long enough.” The boy said. “Elle, heal him.” 

Another girl limped up to him and winced every time she stepped on her right foot. 

Zach could hear her scream in pain as the aching went away. When his eyes came fully into focus, Jason sat by him, eyes full of rage. Lily sat beside Elle who was struggling to stand up. 

Lucifer laid on the ground, clearly shocked that his “technique” didn’t work. 

Zach looked over to Jason who was extremely furious. 

“What?” Zach asked.

“‘What’?” Jason blinked, “WHAT?” He grabbed Zach by his shirt. “You let him look into your eyes! You know better than everyone else here not to that! You put yourself, as well as EVERYONE else, in DANGER.” 

Jason stood up as Lucifer stood off his ground.
“Lily?” Jason asked. 

“Yes…?” She helped Elle off the ground.

“Stay there. It’s my turn.” He turned to Lucifer who was staring daggers into Jason’s eyes. 

“Well, wasn’t expecting that from a teenage boy.” Lucifer snarled.

“I wasn’t expecting a father to try to kill his own son.” Jason glared.

“I had to do what had to be done!” Lucifer yelled, “He betrayed me! For that stupid little runt over there!” He pointed to Elle.

“Elle?” Lily asked.

“Me?” Elle asked at the same time.

“Yes you, you stupid little brats!” Lucifer growled. He stuck out his hands, claws extended out from his fingers. He lunged towards Jason, who dodged his attack and Lucifer slid across the broken pine needles, growled, and lunged again. 

This time his claws barely reached and a deep wound formed on his bicep, right next to Lily’s wound. Jason fell back, his eyes wide. 

“I won’t miss a second time,” Lucifer growled.

Jason ran up to Lucifer and punched him in his already broken nose. Dark red blood trailed down his nose, dripping onto his shoes. 

Lucifer fell back, crashing to the ground and covering his nose. He cursed under his breath and stood up. “You know.” He smiled. “I have better things to do than fight you, boy.” 

“And I have better things to do than fight an old werewolf with old fighting techniques.” 

“Don’t underestimate me, child.” Lucifer snarled. 

“How could I?” Jason smiled. “You clearly are no match for me so give up.” 

Suddenly Lucifer disappeared out of sight. Jason looked around. 

A stabbing pain formed all the way from Jason’s chest to his feet. He fell to the ground and blood trailed from his chest to the ground. Lucifer kicked him towards Lily and smiled. 

“Jason!” Lily stared down in horror. “Hold on… Let me pull the knife out.” 

Wait, knife? Jason thought. But… Where would he get a…

He looked over to the spot where he and Lily stood battling the demonic monster in her mind.

The knife that he made her drop was gone, and it was in his chest. 

Jason screamed out in pain as Lily pulled on the knife. “Lily! Just stop.” 

“No!” She cried. “I can’t leave you here to die!” 

“Look,” Jason said. 

She looked over at Lucifer who was sitting on his chair fixing his cuffs. Humming, while grinning wildly.

“He’s waiting for you patiently. Please. You have to fight him. None of us are capable. Look around.” 

Elle and Zach laid on the ground, eyes closed, hands intertwined. 

“Please.” Jason coughed, blood spraying Lily’s dress. “Lily please.” He begged.

Tears filled her eyes, falling down her cheeks. 

“Don’t cry.” Jason wiped her eyes with his thumbs and smiled. “Only you can fight him. Please go.” 

Lily stood up, her eyes shining in the dim forest light. Fists over her face and tears dripping down her chin.

Lucifer stood up, “Done now?” 

“I’m going to fight you, and I WON’T lose.”

“Have you given up yet? I’m starting to get bored.” Lucifer sighed as Lily flew to the ground the tenth time. Her arms and legs ached, her chest hurt from all the impact. She slowly rose from the ground and put her fists and arms in a fighting stance. 

“Just one more time…” Lily whispered.

“What?” Lucifer asked, “Are you actually planning something against me?” He smirked, “Really?” 

She flew at him and he blocked her punch, he threw her back ten feet with a twist of his wrist, like it was nothing. Like she was nothing. She screamed as she fell back. When she hit the ground pain shot up her arms as she got more cuts. She laid there, eyes wide open, bleeding out of every cut on her arms or legs. Aching, wanting this to end. She couldn’t get up, she didn’t want to feel any more pain. But, something told her she must continue forward. 

He pulled her up by her hair, Lily screaming out in pain. She could feel the roots being pulled one by one out of her scalp. “I’m quite done with these games, Lily.” Suddenly a sizzling sound formed in the air, Lucifer yelped and dropped Lily to the ground. 

She stood up and her skin blazed, it didn’t burn as bad this time. But she still found herself gasping for air as the fire burned her throat. 

“You can’t control it can you?” Lucifer smiled. “It burns, doesn't it?” He threw his hands up, “Why don’t you just use my powers, they’re deep within you.” 

Lily kicked out her foot extending it as far as she could, and Lucifer dodged it, the fire hurt, it burned. “Stop spouting nonsense!” She screamed. 

“‘Nonsense’?” Lucifer asked, “I don’t lie, sweetheart.” He was breathless, he had burn marks on his arms, his cuffs and sleeves were torn. Luckily she was able to do some damage. “Didn’t you ever wonder who your father really was?”

Lily knew she couldn’t play his mind games, “Leave my past out of this.” She scowled.

“I am your father Lily. Don’t you recognize the hair, the skin tone?” He pointed to his head. 

Rage rising from her toes to her chest she yelled, “Liar! I got my hair from my mom!” She kicked out her foot again, Lucifer grabbed it this time, the fire burning into his skin. Surely that ought to hurt. 

“I. Don’t. Lie.” He looked over to Zach, “Didn’t you know that blonde hair is recessive? How would you get it if your father and mother had different colored hair?”

Lily could feel the fire burn out. “I can’t do this!” She threw out a punch and it landed on Lucifer’s face. Throwing him back. His nose bled again, the blood running like a waterfall. 

“My god! What’s with all the punches to the nose?” He covered his nose again. 

“You don’t control me! No one controls me!” She kicked his side, throwing him off balance, tearing his shirt, and leaving a burn mark from her shoe. 

Lucifer yelled out and grabbed her leg. Lily stared at his hand at her foot for one second before she was thrown back once more. She hit the ground, arms, legs, and chest aching, her body hurt from all the cuts and bruises. 

At that her fire was gone, she had nowhere to go. Jason was probably dead, same with Elle and Zach. Maybe she should just let go. Lily closed her eyes and let herself go. 

Don’t let go, Lily. Someone said. It was a woman’s voice. 

Lily opened her eyes and looked around. Mom? She thought. 

Your friends are alive. Trust me, you must fight him.

Lucifer grabbed Lily by her hair and pulled her up off her feet. Lily screeching out in pain. “Give up yet?” He said through gritted teeth. 

She grabbed his arm and started burning his flesh through his sleeve. He let go again, she kicked out her foot and it slammed into his stomach. Coughing, Lucifer rolled over and gagged. 

“Even if you are my father.” She picked him up by his shirt. “I would never love you.” She threw him back and he landed on his back. 

Slowly he got up, “That’s a shame.” He looked over at her, “Then you’re not capable of loving.” His eyes shined red brightly and he grinned wildly. 

Coughing resonated behind her, Lily turned to find Jason wheezing blood. He started shaking and trembling just like in her dream. Fear formed up her spine sending shivers all the way down her back. Then he stopped shaking, he was still. 

Horrified, Lily ran over to Jason calling his name, screaming his name.

No response.

Lucifer grabbed her by her collar and pulled her to the center of the circle. She yelled and screamed, pulled on his hand, pleading him to let her go. “Poor girl.” He smiled, “You have no one anymore.” 

She grabbed his arm and twisted it so he would let go. She ran over to Jason and shook him.

Nothing. She couldn’t wake him up, he was gone, lost. She couldn’t do anything about it. 

“Jason!” She cried, “JASON.” 


*****

“Ah!” Lily cried, “Let me go!” She tugged on her father’s wrist as he dragged her away from Jason. Tears poured down her face, she wanted to live off with Jason but she couldn’t. “Please, Lucifer, let me go!” 

He dragged her to the edge of the chair. Lily’s scrapes and bruises burned the more he dragged her. “Don’t call me ‘Lucifer’, call me ‘father’ understand?” He growled. 

“Please, let me go!” She twisted his wrist so he’d let her go and she ran over to Jason again. “Jason,” she sobbed, “Jason, please! Please wake up! Please!” 

“My god! When will you let go of that boy!” Lucifer shouted. He stormed up to her when a light formed. He stopped and glanced around, where was the light coming from? 

He looked towards Lily, It’s not coming from her, is it? Lily’s skin glowed yellow as she held Jason’s hand. It is.

“Lily,” He took a step forward. “Lily, come here darling.” What is this power, it’s nothing like I’ve ever seen.

She was crying, hot tears fell down her cheeks and dripped onto Jason’s head. “Jason, please wake up!” Her arms and legs burned a little as the pain went away. Slowly, the blood started dissipating from Jason’s chest and mouth. Then the knife fell out of his chest like his body was rejecting it. 

Lucifer ran up and grabbed Lily by her shoulder, she didn’t move, her eyes were closed and tears dripped off her chin as she wept. Then a sudden shock went through Lucifer’s arm, he immediately let go and his hand had scorching burn marks on it. 

Lucifer backed away as the light got brighter, it burned his retina’s and his skin started heating and igniting. He cried out as his flesh burned from the heat. 

Gently, Jason’s eyes opened, the pain was gone from his chest and he felt wonderful. He looked up at Lily as she cried more and more. He looked behind her to see Lucifer averting his eyes and seeing his skin glow from all of the heat. 

“Hey,” Jason touched Lily’s cheek,  “It’s alright, I’m here.” 

She opened her eyes and they widened as she took in the sight of Jason’s well-being. She reached out and grabbed him, fitting her head over his shoulder, crying and crying. She called out his name as he gently rubbed her back. 

“Lily, look.” Jason smiled. 

She let go and turned to see Lucifer’s skin turn brown and inflamed. He looked at Lily, his eyes wide with anger. He glared and said, “I will be back for you, and next time, I won’t lose.” Then he disappeared. 

 

*****

After Lucifer left, Jason and Lily ran over to Elle and Zach as their eyes slowly opened. Lily helped Elle off the ground and Jason helped Zach off the ground. 

“I can stand,” Elle said. Forcing Lily to let go. 

“A… Are you sure?” Lily asked. 

Zach stared off into the forest, “Where did he go, did you kill him?” 

“No…” Lily whispered.

Damn!” Zach growled.

“She did some humungous damage though,” Jason said. 

Elle put her hand on Zach’s shoulder, letting him relax. “At least we all are alive.” She smiled. 

“Speaking of which…” Zach turned to Lily, “How are we alive?” 

“Her healing powers manifested,” Jason said, “And her fire powers ignited at the same time. Making Lucifer burn.” 

“Wow… Really? A… and she didn’t hurt herself as she healed us?” Elle asked, really intrigued. 

“No…” Lily breathed. 

“How?” Zach asked. 

“It was from her mother,” Jason shrugged, “I guess goddesses have no consequences for any power but fire.” 

“That’s crazy!” Elle yelled happily. 

“Good job, Lily,” Zach smiled. 

“Thanks!” Lily beamed.

Elle looked around, “So… Uhh… How do we get back?” 

“I think I know the way.” Lily started walking forward and all the others followed.

After walking for miles, the four of them limped up to the bureau panting heavily. 

Even though they were all healed they got blisters from walking through the forest because all of their shoes were destroyed. 

“Here we are!” Lily said happily. 

“Geez, that took forever,” Elle groaned, walking up to the bureau. “Well I’m going inside, it’s really cold out here.” She and Zach’s hands intertwined and they walked inside. 

Lily smiled and started walking towards the door when Jason grabbed her arm. He pulled her back and she looked at him confused. 

“I can tell when something’s bothering you,” Jason smiled lightly. 

Lily smiled back, “Nothing’s wrong,” 

Jason gripped her arm tighter, “Please don’t lie to me, I want you to talk to me, please, I know something is wrong, tell me.” 

Tears filled Lily’s eyes and she looked away, “I’m sorry,” she wept. 

“Why, why are you sorry?” She fell to the ground sobbing. Jason caught her and held her to his chest.

“I let him in my mind, then I almost killed you,” 

“Lily…”  He held her to him, trying his best to comfort her. 

“Then he almost killed you, and I was too weak to help.” 

He pulled her away from him and forced her to look into his eyes. “Listen to me. None of this is your fault.” He stroked her cheek, “Don’t apologize. Look what you did, all of us were near death and you saved us all.” He looked away, “Yes, he got away,” he looked back at her, “But you severely damaged him, that means a lot, it means you’re strong enough to defeat him. It makes you look a lot like a hero than him a villain because he ran and you won.”

 “It is my fault though! I let him…” Jason put his finger to her lips. 

“It is not your fault! Please believe me. You won this battle, and you will win the war.” 

“How?” She sobbed.

“Because I know you can.” 


*****

Jason and Lily walked into the bureau hands interlocked and found Nathan sitting on a chair impatiently tapping his shoe.  

“Where have you been?” He glared. 

“We were talking,” Jason said. 

“‘Talking’? You were gone for five hours.”

Jason walked and pulled Lily to the stairs, “We were talking for a long while.” 

Nathan stared at them in anger while Jason and Lily made their way up the stairs. 

When they entered Lily’s room Jason collapsed on her bed. Lily sat next to him, placing her hands on her lap. 

“Are you sure we shouldn’t tell him what happened?” She asked him.

“Yeah. He’ll figure it out later.” 

“Well, yeah I guess…” She looked over at him, his eyes were closed and he was breathing softly. “H… Hey Jason?” 

“Yeah?” 

She laid next to him, “People keep on saying I’m your girlfriend. Do you believe that?” 

She heard him inhale sharply, she could feel the butterflies rummaging through her stomach. 

“Yes…” He said finally, “D… Do you believe that?” 

She looked towards the ceiling, “Yes.” 

He propped his head up with his elbow. “Do you want to be?” 

She smiled, “Yeah…” She sat up, “Hey Jason?” 

“Yes?” He said again.

She blushed and looked away, “Can we… Sleep together? Nothing weird! I just want someone to comfort me…” 

He chuckled, “Sure.” 

He laid on the bed and she laid on her side and rested her head on his chest. “Thank you…” 

He smiled and kissed her on the forehead, a light kiss that let the heat explode from her stomach to the rest of her body. 

“If Lucifer is my father… and Zach is his son… Does that mean Zach is my brother?” She asked.

“Yeah… But he’s not as bad as I thought he was.” 

“‘As bad’?” She asked.

“Something’s off about him… But I just don’t know yet.” He kissed her forehead again. A shiver ran down her spine, “Are you cold?” He asked, he pulled the covers and laid them on Lily. 

“Thanks.” She smiled.

“Sure. Now go to sleep.” 

She closed her eyes and relaxed, taking in Jason’s warmth. She saw the lights go out through her eyelids. 

She had the best sleep in ages.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on Feb. 17 2022 at 3:34 pm
Writtingisamazing BRONZE, Allentown, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
Act as if what you do makes a difference because it does!

I loove the plot twist

on Feb. 17 2022 at 3:34 pm
Writtingisamazing BRONZE, Allentown, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
Act as if what you do makes a difference because it does!

THIS IS THE BEST ROMANCE BOOK EVER!