The Gang | Teen Ink

The Gang

By Sarah-Croswhite, Spring, Texas
Sarah-Croswhite, Spring, Texas

Author's note:

My hope is that people understand that life is complex. Relationships are fragile and so is love. I want the audience to realize that broken hearts and relationships can be mended with patience, kindness, and love.

The freezing air burned Vivienne’s throat as she scampered away. She knew they were after her. Vivienne’s long, brown locks flapped in the wind as she ran down the wet, mossy, cobblestone streets. The Scottish village’s government was recently overthrown by the most powerful gang in Scottish history, the Caledonians. They beat and arrest citizens who “do them wrong. Though, all Vivienne and her family have ever done was help others! She and her mom would always give bread to beggars in the street. “YOU CAN’T OUTRUN US!” yelled the Caledonian members. Tears began streaming down Vivienne’s pale face, for she knew the Caledonians would surely torture and kill her just as they did her mother. The small village was bustling with traders and was difficult to maneuver through. She bumped into thousands of people, saying “Excuse me!!!” as she ran by. Vivienne abruptly turned into the skinniest alleyway she could find. Only her gaunt body would be able to fit. She bolted into an abandoned basement of the butcher who owned the building a cafe and watched the Caledonian members sprint past. 

Vivienne explored the abandoned place and found a small mirror. Looking into it, she noticed enormous eye bags underneath her honey-colored, doe eyes, Frizzed yet damp, wavy hair, and the ever-appearing mole on her right chin, which seemed less prominent now, compared to the eyebags and her rosy nose. Vivienne put the mirror away to hide her “homely” looks and searched for anything to help her. She found a trunk with a singular dress. Immediately, Vivienne ripped off her rain-stained, frigid dress for the long-sleeved, brown dress. Hoping to cover her torn and muddy, white tights, she pulled her dress down just a touch. She pulled her dress down to cover her torn, muddy, white tights. She squeezed the water out of her hair, tied it up to appear older, then cautiously exited the abandoned, underground haven. 

In a local cafe was a man named Leon. He was a well-respected member of the Caledonians, however, he was kind to the citizens of Scotland. He wore a tidy uniform and a pin indicating his status in the Caledonians on his chest. It was only ‘round 10:00 o’clock in the morning, yet he fancied lunch. Leon fancied an early lunch. ‘round 10:00 o’clock in the morning Beloved by every woman in Scotland, Leon experienced many issues with women. Leon was adored by every woman in the village, though he experienced many issues with them. Swooning them was a breeze with his dashing looks, charming personality, and great manners, however when he wished to settle down, the women would retreat. He swooned the women with his manners and dashing looks, however, the women never felt at ease with him. He furrowed his brown brows, and slicked his chestnut-brown hair back.”Is there something wrong with me?” He thought while exiting the cafe. Leon, lost in thought, tripped down the stone steps and his fall was cushioned by a petite woman. Leon sprung up in terror at what just took place, looked down at the woman, and was flabbergasted by her beauty. Although her brown dress now is filthy. He noticed the mysterious woman had torn, white tights and looked as if she had escaped from somewhere terrified by the fear in her eyes. He helped her to her feet. Vivienne winced in pain and grasped her left knee. Though, she was not at all fazed by Leon’s looks or his badge. Vivienne’s knee oozed blood onto her hand and seeped into her tights. “I am so sorry Miss! So very sorry!” Leon said while staring into her soft eyes. Then he bombarded her with ever-so-many questions such as,” Are you okay? Are you hurt? Are you bleeding? Do you need to sit down? How is your head?” Vivienne was dazed by all the commotion Leon was making. She let go of her knee and held the back of her head.

Leon understood that she had injured her head and took her small shoulders in his hands so she wouldn’t fall. Teetering back and forth, Vivienne slowly sat back down and zoned out. Vivienne teetered back and forth, sat back down, and zoned out.“HELP! HELP! A WOMAN INJURED HER HEAD! PLEASE HELP!” Shouted Leon. A man from the same gang, named Chase, earlier today, who chased Vivienne, came to help. However, he did not recognize Vivienne. He put pressure on her head wound to slow the snail-paced bleeding, applied clean napkins to the wound, and secured the napkins to her head with his belt. Leon scooped Vivienne up and rushed her to the nearest doctor.

Although Vivienne and her mother come from a long line of bakers, her father was an influential figure in Scottish medicine. Her father was rarely home though, due to the village’s high demand for a doctor. The village Vivienne, her family, and members of the Caledonians live in is a “shanty town” but with respectable cobblestone buildings and architecture. The small village is full of diverse vocations where those who work earn their keep every day. Leon carried Vivienne till he reached where her father resided. Leon swung the doors to the doctor open and demanded help as soon as possible. Vivienne’s father, Arran, dropped his stethoscope and ran away from his current patient, toward his dearest daughter. Arran cut off the belt with his shears in the back pocket of his white coat and examined the wound. He looked up at the man who brought his daughter in and froze. Arran spotted Leon’s pin. Arran saw the worry on Leon’s face, smirked, and treated his daughter. After a few stitches, Vivienne was carried to a spare cot by Leon. He kneeled and watched her recover. They were inseparable from that moment further. 

A couple of hours have passed since Vivienne was treated and Leon was asleep with his chin situated near Vivienne’s hand. She slowly opened her eyes, they grew wide. She recognized her dad’s clinic anywhere! “How did I get here? And who is that???” She thought while glancing at Leon. She spotted his uniform and pin. She began to panic. She called for help. She screamed for her father, but he had left for their home. She tried to move but her legs wouldn’t budge. Her hands shakily gripped the sides of the cot and she meticulously swung her legs to the side of the cot. Her hands gripped the sides of the cot and she meticulously swung her legs to the side of the cot. Her legs wouldn’t budge. She called for help, her father, and finally her mother. The man abruptly awoke and said, “I know you may be afraid of me, and I am sorry for that. I also would like to apologize for falling on top of you and-.” Leon took his hand and softly moved her untied, hair out of her face. Vivienne collected herself with flushed cheeks.

“Get away from me! You and your men brutally murdered my mother! If it weren’t for your men, she would still be alive! You guys didn’t even give us her body! I wouldn't be in this situation if it weren’t for your men! You are monsters. You are filth. You are why the devil smiles.” She forcefully said.

“I  had nothing to do with that.” Said Leon. Vivienne broke her intense eye contact with him. She looked down at her freezing hands. Leon sighed. 

“I’m Leon. What’s your name?” He asked.

“Vivienne..” She said. 

“Vivienne, were you the girl who was being chased by my men? I was told by Chase, the man who dressed your injury outside of the cafe said you were after your father untied your hair.” 

“Yes.”

Leon was taken aback by her honesty. “Well, get on then.” He said while motioning for a piggyback ride for Vivienne.

“I’m not going anywhere with you. Please get away from me.” Uttered Vivienne.

“Look, I want to give you the best possible chance to get this all sorted out. I’m sorry about your mother, but I am not to blame for that. I don’t want you to be in trouble. I don’t want you to have to be on the run. I want to help.”

“Why? What do you gain from this?” Vivienne asked.

“The possibility for us to be friends,” Leon said.

Vivienne crawled onto his back and smiled. She wrapped her arms around Leon. “He’s warm.” She thought. They exited the clinic and saw it was pitch black outside. Although it was dark, Leon knew where to go.

“Sooo…” Vivienne started.

“Sooo…?” Continued Leon.

“Why did you join the Caledonians? If you don’t mind me asking.” 

“I joined because I was young and stupid. I joined them before they took this Scottish village, which was when I was fourteen. Though, their morals started to change into hurting everyone who put them in a bad mood or looked at them weird.”

“FOURTEEN?” Vivienne exclaimed.

“Yeah. I told you, young and stupid. Anyways 3 years later and here I am.”

“So you’re seventeen? I’m sixteen.”

“Ohhh so you’re a baby, Vivienne.” Leon chuckled. 

There was a good amount of silence after they spoke. Most of that silence was occupied by Vivienne's thinking. “This feels wrong. Is this a trap? Was what he said a lie? Is he seventeen?” All that thinking exhausted Vivienne, and she fell asleep on his back.

“Vivienne?” Leon called. There was no response. “Ah, I guess she fell asleep.” He thought. He smiled a goofy, lovesick smile and carried on. 

They reached the hideout where the Caledonian members resided in the village. It is a small, underground home with grass growing on its roof. “Hey, we’re here,” Leon said softly. Groggily looking around, Vivienne saw Chase and around 11 other tough-looking guys. Vivienne groggily looked around, and spotted “Chase” and 11 other tough men.“Yo,” said Leon, “She wants to challenge our judgment.” As soon as she saw those men lined up, Vivienne felt intense fury and fear. But then they all cackled.

“She wants to challenge us? BHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAA! You got a cat with claws huh, Leon? BAHAHA! What’s this lassie’s name?” blurted the buff man.

“Vivienne,” Leon said with a stern face.

“Alright, Viv. Let’s hear your case.” The buff man said patronizingly to her.

Vivienne began, “Let’s start simple. Your men chased me for helping others in a difficult time. It is not a crime to give a hungry person food, but what is a sin is to turn your back on them, calling them horrid names and beating them. To address a more personal topic, you killed my mother,” Vivienne took a deep breath, “and none of you can bring her back. You caused my father and me great sorrow. All she wanted to do was help others. I wish you killed me instead so she could keep reforming the way our society wor-”

“You surely don’t mean that!” Leon interjected. “You have so much potential. I know your mother meant a great deal to you, but-” He hesitated, “Nevermind, go on.”

The restless men were growing hungry for action and began closing in on Leon and Vivienne. Vivienne and Leon were slowly encircled by 12 action-starved men before she finished her case. Leon tucked Vivienne behind him, while the action-deprived men charged at Leon. Vivienne watched as Leon thrashed almost every man. Suddenly, a tall, gorgeous woman walked out of a room. Everybody froze. 

“What is all this pandemonium boys?” the mysterious woman questioned. Vivienne and the woman locked eyes, both eyes grew wide.

“It- it- it’s you!” Vivienne managed. “Is this what the world has come to? My mum is the leader of this stupid gang?? I can’t breathe, I need to leave, I want to disappear and never come back.” Vivienne thought. 

She began to run towards the woman with a balled fist in her hand. Her brown dress flapped as she ran and before she connected her fist to her mother’s face, she stopped. Her furrowed brows softened and she dropped her fist. She hugged her mother for the first time in two years. Her mother hugged her back, squeezing just enough to let Vivienne know she still loved her. 

“Boys,” her mother started, “We’re done here.”

“What do you mean?” the men inquired.

“We are done putting these citizens through horrid things. Ever since you gave me the title of Empress of the Caledonians, I got drunk with power. I abandoned my family and my morals. From now on, we will serve the poor and help them find job, homes, and their strengths.” declared Vivienne's mother.

Overjoyed, Vivienne ran straight to Leon, jumped, and hugged him. He held her for as long as she let him. She held his head with both hands and tapped him on the nose. Leon stared at her with nothing but adoration. He slowly scanned her face. “I never noticed her little freckles on her nose! Or the tiny mole on the side of her chin…” Leon thought, still holding her. 

Looking down at him, with her legs wrapped around his waist, and her arms, now around his neck, she looked at his beaming face. “Wow, who IS he? He practically changed my life. I got Mummy back. Dad got Mummy back. And now some attractive guy is holding me? How do I get myself into these situations? I feel bad for assuming he was a bad person. I should apologize for calling him a monster. Maybe he was trying to secretly take this gang down all along? Maybe just maybe helped bring them down for me? Now looking at him smile like this…Man…He has nice warm, coffee-brown eyes and smells like fresh spring.” Vivienne’s mother looked at both of them and smiled. Leon twirled Vivienne in the air making her feel like a princess. 

“Viv, huh? Can I start calling you that?” Asked Leon.

“No you old man” Vivienne said jokingly, as she made her way to Leon’s back once again. They began their trek home to announce the great news about Vivienne’s mother and the gang to Vivienne’s father and the village.