The War of Hope | Teen Ink

The War of Hope

February 26, 2015
By Sw1Ft_GrL BRONZE, Lititz, Pennsylvania
More by this author
Sw1Ft_GrL BRONZE, Lititz, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The author's comments:

//////Still a working progress/////////

I was only eight when it happened. It was about 3 o'clock my mom was working. I never understood why my mom couldn’t trust me in a house alone while she and dad worked. Lieutenant Hope, my mom, was in the field-training rookies for war with the “Aliens.” I was home with my babysitter, and whom I thought was my best friend, Jessica Tanners or as I call her Jess the mess.
Anytime she came over she always left the house a mess for me. One time she left the whole house smelling like waffles; she had burned all the waffles and somehow spilled the syrup. I had to clean it up. Like usual, but I still loved her.
One day she brought her friend Dev, short for Devil but I know that’s not his real name. Jess left Dev with me; she said she had to “go to work.” I never saw her again that day. The unsuspected news came the next day: my mom had died. The day I found out I didn’t even cry. From that day on I swore to never cry again. Life wasn’t any better after that.
My dad had finally come back from another inventor convention.  By now I was 12 and my dad was about to tell me how mom had died.
“She was killed in action-,” said my dad as I interrupted him.
   “I know that...Just tell me how?!”
“A gun was found on the scene, she was shot...”
That’s when I fell on the ground in tears. I swore to myself to never touch a gun ever in my life.

The author's comments:

//////Still a working progress/////////

As the sun rose on a new day I sat staring at my window. I never forgot about the day my mom died. My dad was taken, kidnapped, from me two weeks ago. I had no one in my life. The choosing is today, the day where some teenagers are selected to go into the army.
I know everything that’s anything about war but, if I got chosen, I didn't think I could handle it. As I got out of bed I saw one of my floorboards lifted up. I slowly bent over to see what had happened when I heard a knock at the door. I ran downstairs in a rush, answered the door, and smiled. It was Dev.
  “You’re gonna be late. GO GO GO.”
I ran upstairs in a rush. I knew I was late but not an hour late! As I got dressed my eyes were glued on that floorboard, but that had to wait for later. When I came downstairs Dev was sitting on the couch smiling.
“Your up early.” Dev laughed sarcastically.
“What do you mean aren’t we late?” I yelled in a playful way.
He smiled and said, “Gotcha again, Rose.”
I smiled and sat down beside him.
   “Ha ha ha, so what now?”
  “Oh ya, we actually are late.”

At the choosing they selected four boys and six girls to go into the war, by selecting names from a hat. They had gone through five girls and three boys, none of which were I.
I looked at Dev but he didn’t notice me; he was too nervous. That’s when they called “Da- Devil Pranson.” In the rush of hearing my friend being called I didn't notice who was called from the girls. Again they announced “Rosalina Hope.” That’s when it hit me, the mixed emotions of sadness, worry, and hope. I had been chosen into the one thing I didn't want to be in, which meant my life was now ending.

The author's comments:

//////Still a working progress/////////

Back at my house I thought to myself. “What happens now? Can I do this? Should I do this? What should I bring with me?”
That’s when I saw the floorboard, “ Better now than ever.”
Then I heard a loud thud, it was an explosion. I ran over to my window in a rush and when I looked out you wouldn’t believe what I saw. It was a figure in a town building across the street; the figure threw a bomb of some sort. It was a scream bomb, one of the enemy’s bombs, which disable the targets hearing and eyesight for three hours. The same bomb they used on my dad the night he was taken. After I processed what just happened, I heard someone talking behind me…
“Ms.Hope!! Good I got your attention we have instructions to take you to your bus now due to enemy attacks here at the city, you have 17 minutes” the robot soldier said as he and his buddies exited my room.
Seventeen minutes… That’s it?! Wait..Dev, I hope I see him; he needs to know what I saw. At that point I gathered up some clothes. I locked up my suitcase and turned back to look at my room. I'm gonna miss- The Floorboard. I slid to my knees and pried the board up with all my might. There was straw and hay, but under all of that unwanted junk was a diary and a beautifully stitched pouch that seemed familiar. I opened the book, it said:
    Rose,
The day has come, I’m going to die someday and I know it is soon. You need to be strong and live on, for me. I know you have a certain power that not many people have. Care for it, you don't want to lose that. I know that you are going into the war, you're my curious monkey, and I’m happy you found this book. All you need to know now is those guards are dangerous, don't let them touch you, and keep this book with you at all times, this is our secret.
By now you're kind of scared but don't worry everything will make sense soon.
        Signed
                         Lieutenant Hope
As my tears lay down on the books pages I flipped through the rest of it and it was blank, but I did as my mom told me. I put the diary in my case and opened the pouch. It was a necklace; it was an eye on a flexing muscle.
When I first saw it I was confused but then I understood. When I was younger I saw things others didn't, like Sherlock Holmes. The arm was in our coat of arms; it meant hard willed and strong hearted. After staring at its beauty I put it on and went downstairs quietly.
The robots were pushing people into the streets and in buses. My mom was right, I better not get in anymore trouble. When the robots noticed me, they grabbed my bag and me and lead me outside at a bus stop. Then I saw Dev and he was in a bus and he was just sitting there and ignored me. Then the guards pushed me on to another bus and I was off.
In the facility, they ranked us and put us in groups to go to get “initiated." When it was my turn they got this needle and shoved the pink ooze into my neck. Then they led me into my dorm and I was alone.

The author's comments:

//////Still a working progress/////////

Around 9am a girl walked into my room. She was in a daze, walked in looked around and left. Then I saw something glow from my bag; my necklace was glowing too. I ran over to my case and opened it. The book was enigmatically writing words in it. When the book stopped writing I brought it onto my bed and started reading.
Right about now you had a guard come into your room and look around. If you are reading this then you are the chosen one. You need to watch your back. They’re everywhere so you need to keep this a secret. The shot they gave you erases normal peoples minds, but you, you are not normal. Sweetie, you’re different so embrace it. Your friend, Dev is like you too. You need to find him and bring his memory back. You are the only one that is immune.
I will get to you later. Make sure you watch out for her-she’s watching you.
On that note I went to sleep, and started dreaming about my mom. Waiting for the next day to come around. In the morning I got dressed and went to mess hall. Right away I saw Dev standing with some of the generals. I walked over to him and pulled him aside.
    “What's wrong with you?”
“I don’t know you mam so please take your seat.”
“You what?!”
“Please calm down and take your seat.”
Another guard questioned Dev “Do you know who J.M might me Sarge?”
I listened into their conversation and blurted out, “Jess?”
All the guards stared at me like I just said something bad. I ran to my seat and ate my food silently.
Later that night “Sarge” visited me.
"Whom are you working with?"
I looked at him confused, "What ever do you mean Sarge?" I said sarcastically.
"This isn't funny mam plea-"
"First of all don't call me mam and second of all my name is Rose."
That's when Dev fell down in a daze. I ran to his side to see if he was okay. He woke up and looked at me.
"I love you..but what happened, to me?"
I teared up and said "Your back..Your back!!!"
"Rose..we have so much to talk about."
The training was interminable. I got a new message from my mom about Jess. Dev and I planned on our get-away, and we purloined a ship. We were all ready until Dev had to train new bees. So today will be the day we say goodbye.
The three weeks in training had passed and I was now a lieutenant. Dev came into the training room and caught my eye.
I stopped punching the dummy and walked over to him, "You ready for this?"
"Readier then I'll ever be."
We decided to meet up at the front gates and wing it from there. We were about to end this war.

The author's comments:

//////Still a working progress/////////

November 4 10:42 pm
"Get in!! We need to do this fast."
"You are coming with me right?" I said with a fake smile, trying to hide all my worries.
"I'll decide that soon."
We walked down the long never-ending hallway, and then took a left into the export room. Dev helped me into a ship just in time.
"Put your hands up!" Said a woman in an army suit.
Dev smiled at me and said "It's Damian." I couldn't leave him so he cunningly cut the anchor and I was off. As I floated away I saw Damian and the women shooting each other, Dame laid down on the ground. I cried like crazy unable to turn the ship around. Now it was personal.
Before long I was at the battlefield. It looked like a desert. I got out of the ship and ran for cover. They were everywhere, ugly, dumb, free spirited Aliens. Avoiding contact with them I took a back way and found myself in front of their base.
I knew he was here, he had to be. My dad invented so many gadgets and when I saw the alien’s tanks I knew they were his. It was his style to draw an eye as a logo. I cautiously stepped into the destroyed base. What u saw made me cry. He was there smiling at me, but he was crying.
"Dad?" I said as I started tearing up "What happened? What's wrong?"
His reply felt worse then the burning sun on my back.
"I'm sorry."
With those two words everything went black.
I woke up in the middle of nowhere. The smell of waffles was burning all around me.
"Wake up sweetie!"
I opened my eyes and a woman was in front of me.
"Finally!!"
That voice. Those eyes. She was sweet but got to her point fast.
"Jess."
"Ding! Ding! Ding! Oh it took you a while, you're too late. Your mom can't help you now. And you can watch your dad say goodbye."
I looked over my shoulder and saw my dad shaking. His last words were:
"Remember your past."
The shot burned in my head and scarred me.
"What's wrong with you?!"
"Oh whatever do you mean!"
Jess said walking away and leaving me tied up for who knows what's out here. Jess was never good at tying her shoes.
It was like an old cowboy movie and the showdown was playing.

The author's comments:

//////Still a working progress/////////

November 5 21:43 pm
"What's wrong Rose? Can you not pull the trigger? Yes Rose it was me, your mom was toughie too."
"Don't make me do this Jess, why are you doing this?"
"Ha! You don't know? Because of you, no one liked me they treated me like dirt, but here! This is my home. They treat me like a queen! My malicious plan worked! And you all fell for it!"
"Jess. I like you you're my fri-"
"Don't even start! Your just a little kid!"
"Jess... It doesn't need to end like this."
"Sorry Rose but you're going down with the rest of your family!" Jess said as she shot me in the shoulder.
"Have it your way."
I raised my gun and shot her. She fell down without a word. The mission was a success; the war was now finally over. In the dusty wind I saw a figure growing bigger with each step coming towards me. I raised my gun.
"Your late lets go!" Dame said limping his way over to me.
     As I gathered up my things and we found the ship we flew away into the stars of the Galaxy, wondering what might happen next.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.