Alyen Planet | Teen Ink

Alyen Planet

July 3, 2018
By TheGlassCat SILVER, Austin, Texas
More by this author
TheGlassCat SILVER, Austin, Texas
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"The monosyllable of the clock is Loss, Loss, Loss unless you devote your heart to its opposition."
- Tennessee Williams


Author's note:

I really love this idea, but am still working on it. I would love some feedback, and am open to positive and negative comments!

When they came to Earth, most called it the end of the world.

Irene called it ironic.

She remembered how it was before they came. She'd been sitting in her car, fingers tapping the steering wheel in time to the newest pop hit.

Irene stared at the red light, willing it to turn green. The car behind her was slowly creeping forward, and she could tell it was ready to honk. Jackass.

The change on the radio programming was so abrupt Irene automatically slammed her foot onto the gas in shock. All around her people did the same thing, cars jerking forward in a surprised wave.

"We interrupt this broadcast to bring you an international news update. Right now in Central Park we are seeing what could be the beginning of an extraterrestrial invasion. We ask all to stay calm and out of the streets. We repeat, stay calm and out of the streets..."

The newscaster kept repeating the message of safety. Irene almost laughed. Must be another AlyenPlanet-sponsored scheme, she thought. Some kinda throwback to The War of the Worlds, or something.

She looked around to the other people waiting at the stoplight. Most were shaking their heads or grinning. Even the idiot behind her was rolling his eyes.

AlyenPlanet had hands in everything now. After the release of the first movie in 2020 the company gained so much money at the midnight release they became richer in one day than most countries become in 5 years. It was incredible.

Whether you sold Carmen Sanchez (Lead actor/alyen killer of the franchise) bobble heads at Hot Topic or accidentally appeared as an extra in a promo, everyone was connected to AlyenPlanet.

The official website, www.alyenonline.com, was second in popularity only to Google, and that was because Google had payed them a hecking lot to say so. You could play games, read articles, post in forums, find your soul mate, or even order your groceries all from your AlyenOnline account.

Over a dozen movies, three TV shows, and thousands of fan-made videos populated screens everywhere. People said it was like someone had taken StarWars (Irene hadn't heard of those old movies until she was a teen) and cranked it to a thousand. Everyone liked AlyenPlanet, or at least lived with it.

So, when the radio broadcast came on, and a man started talking about "extraterrestrial beings" landing in Central Park, the world laughed. It was just like the setup the to first AlyenPlanet movie. Some people were even quoting along in their cars.

The people around Irene grinned and shook their heads and waited for the light to turn green, fingers already fumbling around to find a channel that was playing real music.

That was until they realized the light wasn't going to turn green. Until they realized this same broadcast was playing on every channel around the world. Until they realized the ground was shaking. Until they realized the world was at war.

The author's comments:

Unfinished

Irene breathed, blinked, and started laughing. Instructions began filing in over the radio, telling people to exit all vehicles and homes and head towards the nearest convenience store.

Irene complied, all the while giggling so hard that tears streamed down her cheeks. Some others were the mirror of Irene (Probably the bigger AlyenPlanet fans), but most seemed blank and afraid. legs shaking with the ground.

Irene stumbled to the back door of her car and retrieved her dog. The mutt sat still and wary, but melted into Irene's arms with little struggling when she picked him up. She clipped his leash on and made her way over to the sidewalk and towards the 7/11 in the distance.

"Irene! Hey, Irene!"

Irene spun around, scanning the growing crowd for the source of the voice. Her eyes landed on a short, dark skinned boy with thick glasses stumbling towards her, giant bag bouncing on his back.

She sighed, but stopped, waved, and smiled. Irene and Sebastian had been in the same Political Science class last semester, and since then she had avoided all of his advances of friendship over winter break. She payed for it on New Year's day when she found herself apologizing profusely when he showed up at her apartment to make sure she wasn't dead.  

He waded towards her through the growing crowd, grabbing onto her jacket like a needy child once he reached her. His eyes were wide, and Irene almost felt bad to have continued avoiding him in the spring semester.

"Hey, Sebastian..." she answered nervously, attempting to hold onto her dog's leash while dragging herself and Sebastian through the crowd.

"So..." he said, not making eye contact but not loosening his grip on her coat either. "...how's your life going?"

She sighed. Liberal Arts majors. Always so dramatic. It wasn't her fault Sebastian was an annoying idiot whose personality didn't click with hers at all. Right?

The crowd began to push at their backs, a horde of mindless doomsday commuters. As the trudged towards the distant gas station Sebastian stayed silent, but not out of Irene's sight, more afraid of getting lost than her own dog.

They stayed in awkward silence until Irene slammed open the 7/11's door, hitting Sebastian's elbow and pulling forth a meek "Ouch."

The aisles were packed. Families huddle close together, commuters sprinkled about like asteroids in a solar system. Everyone was staying surprisingly calm.

That had been the one complaint Irene had with AlyenPlanet: All the normal people were so patient and submissive, allowing Carmen to save all their butts with no complaint.

But this was the real world, and yet these people weren't complaining. Huh.

Not that Irene was complaining about their lack of complaints. Or whatever. All the easier to take what she needed and strike out on her own. Plus her dog. And probably Sebastian if she knew him at all.

These people were stupid. Lead by their love of AlyenPlanet and determination to follow the plot. Irene wasn't so easily fooled. She slipped between the sliding doors and began edging along the back wall.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.