Shaken | Teen Ink

Shaken

By LightWriter101 BRONZE, Moreno Valley, California
LightWriter101 BRONZE, Moreno Valley, California

Its not about perfect, its about effort

Shaken

Prologue

Through the whipping, smoke devoured wind, and towering malevolent flames, Aaelen sprinted among the blazing beech trees with the young Sheru at his side. Her face held onto terror as she followed the pure white captain of the wolf pack. Aaelen took on a brave determined demeanor forcing the idea of escaping the fire unscathed as the fire whipped wickedly at the acers of Heru. But through the filter of his certainty, he could not restrain the churning fear that dwelled deeply within his gut. He had not located his mate Riana and the fear of losing her to the soulless flames sunk its jaws into his valor. He continued on through the storm of emotions he desperately detained, stepping over the fallen burning branches with Sheru struggling to keep the pace. After numerous exhausted strides, he looked over his shoulder to be sure Sheru, Alpha Orchis’s precious daughter, was still at his side, but the pale beige pup was gone. Panic surged through him, at the thought of losing the pup to the flames and descried her limp body smoldering under a pile of burning branches. Sheru was dead and it was all his fault.

Aaelen

Winter…the relentless soul-depriving beast of the world tore at the land with its wicked, ceaseless blizzards. Howling, icy, winds brought torment upon Aaelen and Riana, as they fought the prickling, biting snow. Aaelen’s vision was struck with blinding white at every turn. Flat, treeless, snow blanketed land stretched for miles far beyond Aaelen’s eyes could see. He shivered violently, the wind tearing at his legs, his paws unbearably numb. Riana was hardly a wisp in the swirling snow. Aaelen squinted his sharp pale eyes, shielding them against the merciless gale.

He suddenly received taunting memories of the past when he was an innocent pup, resting beside his mother in the den where all was safe, calm…, and warm. He and his mate had been cast out of their pack for failing to save their Alpha’s daughter, Sheru, from a wildfire just three months ago. Lost, alone, and facing the iniquity of winter, they could do nothing but seek shelter in the torrent blizzard.

Riana

Riana fought against the storm’s wrath, leading Aaelen across the land of Theylulle, searching for refuge. She desperately battled her will to collapse in the snow and abandon all hope of escaping the callous gales. She cast a glance over her shoulder to ensure Aaelen was still behind her. She struggled to descry his white figure against the snow but soon enough perceived his worn, tattered face among the bleak grey wall of falling ice. Her love for him mimicked the tempest, raging inside her against all the misery they faced.

She lifted her eyes, a snowbank breaking into view. Hope pierced her at the thought finally coming across potential shelter. No words could be accomplished through the roaring wind. Riana hurried up to the snowbank and immediately began digging. Aaelen understood and took up a spot beside her and assisted her in creating shelter. In time, it was large enough for both wolves to crawl inside and finally escape the biting, frigid winds.

Encased by the snowbank, heat began to build as they laid beside each other. Unsteady breaths fell from their muzzles in puffs of swirling condensation. The wind’s howls were now faint and tolerable, allowing the wolves to speak.

With a long shaky inhale Riana spoke, “We made it…” She slowly began to relax, pressed up against Aalen’s warm shoulder. She closed her heavy eyes, the need to sleep undeniable.

Aaelen sighed in relief, his tension fading, “We did,” he whispered, resting his head on his paws.

All was still. All was silent. All was peaceful in that one moment.

Aaelen

Aaelen emitted slow breaths, as he rolled into awareness. He opened his eyes, the weight of sleep deprivation absent. He lifted his head, expecting to feel Riana next to him. He searched the makeshift shelter, light casting a blue filter through the ice. His mind fell into sudden panic. Riana was gone, not a trace of her left but her faint scent upon the ice. Maybe she left to catch prey, his conscience suggested but Aaelen knew his Riana. She’d never go anywhere without him. He emerged out of the snowbank, sniffing the icy air frantically. A string of new, unfamiliar scents fell under Aaelen’s nose. Foreign wolves.

The storm had passed; in its wake was miles and miles of endless snow, covering the entire prairie. There were no paw prints and the scents were faded indicating the possibilities of Riana’s abduction soon after Aaelen’s drop into sleep.

His mind began racing, heart pounding, doubts charging through him. He had to find her. He had to find her if it killed him.

The sun began to rise steadily above the horizon, Aaelen attempting to follow the vague scents that marched east. His legs churned tirelessly as his paws splayed over the soft powder with each stride. With every paw step, he grew restless proceeding into a steady gallop across the endless snow covered prairie. His chest rose and fell as he ran through the still frozen air.

Noon fell over the land, Aaelen’s adrenaline giving into exhaustion. The scent had been long demolished, nothing but hope and his love for Riana driving his paws. He walked hastily, defying his weariness, and pressing his urge to find Riana.

For hours, he trekked, finally reaching the end of the vast winter land. A thick pine forest marked the end of the prairie but just as he stepped up to it, a sudden sharp crack splintered the ground beneath Aaelen. A rush of panic shot through him, his stomach clenching, and legs tensing. His eyes went wide, as the sound met his ears but before he could react, the ice shattered. He fell through, the icy water penetrating his thick hide and chilling him down to his bones. The cold came as a shock, making Aaelen go completely still. Blurry bubbles rose up from his muzzle, still silence dousing his ears. His eyes fell closed as he slowly drifted through the freezing water. Was this it? Was this the end? Was this what every moment of his life come down to?

Black. Everything went black. Amongst the black, a voice broke through the ice of Aaelen’s insensibility.

“Aaelen,” came Riana’s soft voice. “No matter where I am or how far we’re apart, I’ll always be here waiting.”

His eyes shot open and his heart shot hot blood into his veins giving him a brief burst of strength and fortitude. He churned his frozen legs, breaking the surface of the water with a vital gasp of air. He clambered out of the icy pond and shook himself vigorously. No, it wasn’t the end.

§

Cold, wet, and exhausted Aaelen refused to stop and linger on the shock after falling through the ice as if it never had occurred. Then, the scents became present among the trees, clear and strong indicating he had entered a new territory. Through the storm of smells, Aaelen caught Riana’s, grasped it, and followed it through the forest.

Riana

No one entered the chamber Riana was kept in for hours, inducing her to doubt anyone would be seeing her ‘shortly’ as the pale wolf had claimed. Though it was evening far before the stranger showed up, he didn’t look the slightest bit moved by his lateness. He stopped at the entrance awaiting her to join him. He kept his hard green eyes far away from her, pressing her to stare straight at him and narrow her sharp silver eyes challengingly.

“Alpha Hillgard wishes to see you now,” he reported coldly. Riana stood her ground, daring to defy the wolf’s orders.

He finally met her gaze with a shot of indignation.

“First, I need to know who contains such a privilege as to drag me around anywhere his Alpha wishes,” Riana fired hotly, risking a bad reaction.

“Captain Asklan, of Avex Pack,” he answered, his words coated with exasperation. He rolled his eyes and led Riana out of the chamber.

Riana was led outside, the clearing now empty and dark, as evening orange and pink painted the horizon behind the pine trees. They padded through the snow swiftly in silence, the stars glimmering and welcoming them out into the cold of night. Riana noticed a crimson wolf standing alone among the shadows, his expression hidden beneath a veil of darkness. Riana tossed the tuff of fur that hung between her eyes, squinting and straining her eyes to descry the wolf’s face. She perked her ears, catching the slow slightly raspy breathing of the giant blood red creature. His head was held high against the shadows, his chest rising and falling dramatically with deep breaths of air.

As they neared him, his demeanor was revealed in a sliver of moonlight. He held a shrewd, sly, and wicked grin. His thin brows pointed downward and his fangs poked out from under his lips. “Captain Asklan,” The scarlet wolf greeted, slowly, narrowing his eyes out of dominance.

Alpha. He’s the Alpha.

“Alpha Hillgard,” Asklan bowed, respectfully, causing Riana to roll her eyes. “I have deigned to meet you requests as to retrieve a capable alpha female.”

Riana smothered a scoff, holding back a strong grimace. She wanted to shout reasonable opinions she possessed but wasting her breath on pointless considerable facts wouldn’t stop these obstinate wolves from compelling her to become alpha female.

“She seems very capable, I must admit. Beautiful one at that as well,” Hillgard stated, casting her a smug grin. She raised her brow slightly, excruciatingly unamused.  “Strong…possibly obedient. A wolf who holds her tongue.” At this Riana’s mouth nearly burst open but she had to grasp her wit and hold it tight if she was going to delude them into thinking she was willing.

The sky’s blue purple glow rained down on the three wolves, coating their backs in light and reflecting the snow. Hillgard’s eyes caught the light, shining a bright yellow orange. The alpha appeared to glow infinitely, his dark muzzle seeming to hold stars at its tip. He was a handsome wolf in the moonlight, Riana’s loyalty to Aaelen denying that completely. She moved trying to keep her eyes away from Hillgard’s intense observant gaze. Asklan watched her closely making sure no escape attempts were in progress. Riana looked back in the corner of her eye.

Do these wolves seriously think they can drag me away from my mate, drop me in their pack and expect me to become their alpha female? That means courtship with this guy; don’t know who he thinks he is, rather a lunatic if you ask me. His appearance seems menacing but looks are always rather deceiving.  Hillgard continued his weird expectant stare. Maybe he expects me to fall head over paws in love with him any second now. I don’t know and don’t care. Finding a way to escape is all I need to figure out, Riana mused, a plan in progress.

Riana turned to meet his eyes and sighed as if she was ultimately vanquished. “I find it hard to deny that being your mate and ruling this new pack is indescribably tempting. And…I hold no wills against it.” Riana dissimulated innocently, lifting her large silver eyes and blinked slowly. Surely, this would drown them in her deceit.

Asklan looked unmoved and unconvinced while Hillgard seemed to take the poisonous bait without hesitation. His grin melted wider with satisfaction. “I’ll waste no more time and begin our wedding arrangements,” Hillgard stated, smoothly.

“Alpha Hillgard, forgive me for slight interruption but let me inform you this wolf was unyielding at first until we were impelled to coerce her,” Asklan advised, causing Riana to covertly narrow her eyes challengingly at him.

“Well…I wasn’t certain on the reasoning behind my kidnapping so I objected like anyone would,” Riana said quietly before Hillgard could reply, gazing into his eyes.

Hillgard seemed dismissive of Asklan’s warning, his grin revived. “There’s no need for concern, Asklan,” Hillgard claimed slyly, puffing his chest with pride. “She’ll make a perfect mate for me.” Hillgard gazed at Riana, absorbing her innocent expression. “She won’t be entirely perfect unless I know her name,” he said addressing her.

“Riana,” she purred, her words seeming to make him shudder with satisfaction.

Asklan gripped his suspicion, wearing it all over his face as he scowled at her.

“Asklan, escort her to my chamber, and to offer you contentment about your paranoia you can guard her if you like,” Hillgard suggested, continuing his search in Riana’s eyes.

Riana caught Asklan scoff under his breath before she followed him back into the den.

Aaelen

Aaelen located the den as the stars began to glimmer above the trees casting down their beautiful yet eerie glow. He caught sight of a large wolf, joined by two others just to the left of the den. It was hard to discern their identities against the black shadows of the tall pines. Having to avoid being sniffed out, Aaelen held his distance on the far side of the clearing. He watched closely through the trees as the three wolves stood there before finally retreating into the den. The area was ridden with Riana’s scent creating no doubt she was being detained there. Aaelen decided to stay the night and devised a plan rather than charging in and demanding Riana back. Gaining essential knowledge about the pack, its schedule, size, weakness, and strength would aid him in liberating his dear Riana.

Riana

The alpha’s chamber was large and very dark, silence ringing in her ears. Riana strained her eyes as they seared the mostly empty chamber. The soft dirt caused her stiff paws to relax, though her mind was far from ease. Out of the callous dark, she managed to distinguish a large nest of caribou hides. She cast her gaze sideways, keeping from looking at Asklan directly but noticed his focused hard eyes watching her every move. “Where would you suggest I take to slumber?” she asked, aware his suspicion would withhold any will to believe she carried the strong desire to forsake her freedom and marry a wolf she’d met a minute ago.

“I have full undying awareness you’re playing a trick, she-wolf, and I will divulge your schemes,” he spat angrily as if refusing strongly to answer her question. “My Alpha’s lack of caution won’t induce me to fail as captain of this pack.” Though in the pitch dark Riana could feel Asklan’s brooding scowl sliding wickedly up and down her silver pelt. Her breath got stuck in her throat for the briefest moment until Asklan’s morose presence fell away from her. She exhaled, and trod slowly up to the nest. She stepped inside and settled down, heavy weariness sweeping her eyes shut. And just before her mind conceded to her fatigue, a last thought lapped over her. Soon…beyond any imprisoning doubt, I will escape and liberate myself…no matter what it takes.

§

Riana roused, as response to the sound of slow raspy breathing. She was stupefied to find Hillgard heavily drowned in a deep slumber beside her. His large chest rose and fell unsteadily. She escaped his close contact in one swift motion. She shook off her heavy sleepiness and eyed Hillgard closely. Riana began to think him rather pathetic, his caution levels reaching below the line of a fool.  He showed no sign being anywhere close to breaking the surface of sleep, almost snoring. He was ignorant enough to leave the chamber unguarded. How did a pack of such perceptible strength, manage to thrive with a sad excuse for an alpha? Restraining from cogitating, she darted to the entrance scanning and sniffing the darkness for any wolves. She stole the opportunity to escape and decided the tunnel was empty, vigilantly slipping through the entrance.

She padded softly into the still, silent, darkness, uncertain if the sun had stirred from the depths of the horizon. Moist air charged through her nose as she gained aspiration that she’d break away from her confinement. The smell of fresh, damp pine needles led her through the tunnels but just as she perceived light ahead, Asklan slid before her. His expression was cold, eyes hard, sliding up and down her face like shards of ice. The white light cast a glow around his silhouette almost making him look ironically angelic. “Where should you be off to so hastily?” he asked, his words clutching her throat like claws. Her hope was strained against Asklan’s hard, scowl as she refused to recoil. Not only did Asklan’s gaze expel indignation, but also a slight splash of awareness that he knew exactly what she was doing. Riana glared obstinately, narrowing her eyes and challenging his inclination. She drove words to her lips, denying fear. “You know the answer to your own inquiry,” she paused, slightly before adding in a mocking tone, Captain Asklan.” 

“Escaping then?” he growled, dipping his black muzzle, causing the light to exaggerate his menacing glower.

“I have taken concern to your lack of trust in me and I know you would never believe I’d forsake my mate for someone I hardly know. So I have concluded it to be rather pointless to forge more lies in attempt to inveigle you I’ve capitulated,” She said pragmatically, narrowing her eyes slightly as if presenting an acusation against his assertion.

“Then what are you suggesting?” Asklan fired hotly, “Are you proposing that I sit here indolently while you take off and I am ineluctably executed for failure to detain you?”

Riana thought carefully, using her utmost discretion. She had to veer away from the fact that she was attempting escape but also take heed to his wariness. Obstinacy permeated throughout her face, spilling onto her lips and shaped a crooked grin. “Just try not to exhaust yourself, Captain. I’ll go traverse the den. Come if you like but if you haven’t considered that I rule over you as future alpha female, then you might want to check your facts.”

Shock conquered his scowl, inducing his eyes to dilate in utter confoundment. He gapped watching her grin shrewdly at him as she slipped off into another tunnel. Yes, she was that good.

Riana left him in his daze, pride dousing her.

She decided she’d just find a way to circumvent Asklan but she was convinced, in a way, she already had.  

Asklan

Heavy indignation drove his paws as orange and purple streaked the vast ether at his side. He climbed the rocky eminence, a glare painted across his green eyes.

Who did that she-wolf think she was? He was captain for Apex’s sake but in comparison to her, he was subordinate. She had stated that he was inferior and the fact that that was accurate shook him the most. Alpha females along with their mates reign over any captain in the pack. This threw him off guard completely, causing him the most exasperation he’d ever come across in his entire life. Asklan strongly refused to abide by her insolence.

Across Highvalien Peak lied a forest that concealed where his exiled brother resided. Considering Roulgan was his only remaining kin Asklan denied his confidence in him. He wouldn’t admit that Roulgan supplied him with the slightest comfort when he was distraught or angry. He also knew it had been at least two years since his last visited. He didn’t like to visit; Hillgard once stated the act pathetic, keeping Asklan from ever deigning to go. This was one of those times when he was desperate to talk to someone so he decided this the one time worthy of visiting.

Though Roulgan was banished for attempting to murder Hillgard, this didn’t occur to Asklan as something he should be perturbed about. It fact, he disregarded it completely.

A cold breeze swept through his coat, as he finally reached the mountain’s crest. A sharp piercing wind then suddenly split the air. Asklan refused to shiver at its frigid temperature and proceeded down the narrow winding path down the slope. A profusion of dark clouds stole the east’s horizon as the sun dipped beneath the west’s behind him. The cloud’s menacing shadow fell down on the seemingly endless forest and raked at the trees with its frigid, callous gale.

Asklan left the mountain and strode forward, slightly dragging his paws with a slight urge to retreat. Some small part of him secretly hoped Roulgan would accept him and ease his tension.

A small ridge rose off the ground among the scattered birch trees. A slit along the ridge marked the entrance to the den. Asklan held a cautious step, not sure why he felt uncertain. He slipped inside, he didn’t intend on startling his brother but his voice felt inept to make his presence known. An urge to keep silent sealed his black lips and drove stiffness to his legs and paws. A shower of nervous prickling stole the back of his neck.

“It’s been quite a while. Don’t you agree, brother?” came a smooth, sly, and composed voice. Asklan concealed his shock and whirled around to meet Roulgan’s peculiar gaze. Asklan gripped a stern expression eyeing his brother. “Explain why you have come?”

Asklan felt unprepared as he opened his mouth to speak. Roulgan’s accusing tone sent sparks of confusion inside Asklan’s mind. Did Asklan come unwelcome? He sighed heavily, pressing Riana into his thoughts. The thought of her brought up a furious glare and formed words in Asklan’s mouth. “There’s this infernal she-wolf who drowns my sanity in her ingenuity. Hillgard asked me and two other captains to extract a suitable mate for him from Theylulle. I succeeded but the she-wolf is a complete nuisance. She is trying to escape and return to her mate we forced her to abandon and if she succeeds I’ll be most likely executed.” Asklan explained, anger building in his voice.  

A strip of evening sunlight suddenly pierced through the small entrance illuminating their faces as Roulgan’s expression faded into a grimace. Its warmth compiled onto Asklan’s deeply stiff glare, almost making him want to relax.

“That’s what you come here for? To do nothing but bore me with such stories? What led you to believe I’d listen to your idiocy?” Roulgan asked showing signs of anger under his annoyance. “Something in your presence prompted me to think you would liberate me from this exile. But..it seems that is inaccurate…, brother?”

Asklan choked on his breath slightly stunned by Roulgan’s response. “I…I-I assumed you would have advise as to subdue the she-wolf…I honestly had no intention on freeing you.” he admitted suddenly feeling guilty.

“None at all what so ever?” Roulgan inquired, disappointment drenching his words.

“I’m afraid not...” Asklan confessed his voice wavering under Roulgan’s reigning accusation.

“I should have known,” Roulgan mused under his breath stealing his eyes away, implying that Asklan had failed him miserably.

“Forgive me brother,” Asklan apologized softly, feeling the need to please Roulgan. The urge was strong enough to press him to step away from his dignity and ask for absolution.

“I have anticipated your return to extricate me for three years, brother…and it seems you have failed me. My patience has been deluded by your foolishness.”

Roulgan turned away from Asklan depriving him of his pride and set in a sickening feeling of guilt. “But I shalln’t wait much longer, dear brother, and because you have failed me, the profit of my labors will not be shared with you when I do manage to conquer Apex. I have concluded…there is no need for your existence.”

Chills charged down Asklan’s spine. His head shot up in shock that Roulgan had spoken such words of resentment. Before he could react to a piercing cry of rage emitted from his only brother, teeth sunk deeply into his neck. He couldn’t help the yelp of anguish that slipped between his lips. The only living family Asklan possessed stood over him snarling like nothing Asklan had ever witnessed from Roulgan as his severe wounds expelled hot crimson blood. In moments, with no will to harm his fiendish brother, Asklan was dead.

Riana

The entire day was utterly tedious as she was compelled to be dragged around by Hillgard making wedding arrangements, a wedding in which Riana refused to let herself fall into. She knew she had to escape before marrying Hillgard. Against all odds, she would escape tonight, she decided. Half the time she spent with Hillgard she searched heavily for a chance to escape but throughout the day, she found herself unsuccessful.

Before evening broke into existence, Riana noticed Asklan wasn’t present. This led to a series of questions but the outlandishness drove her to finally ask Hillgard what had become of him.

“Alpha Hillgard, I’ve taken heed to Asklan’s absence. I inquire humbly, what has become of him?” Riana kept her voice soft, pretending to submit to Hillgard’s dominance.

“He went to Highvalien to speak with his irritating brother,” Hillgard replied, his tone glazed.

Riana suddenly realized that without him to hover over her every five seconds, she could probably free herself that very moment. Exhilaration induced her eyes to brighten and made her tail twitch gently in anticipation. “Hillgard, I have found myself to suddenly be weary. May I go to the chamber and take rest?” she dissembled, taking a slight sniff of the air to be sure Asklan’s scent didn’t stir within it.

“Yes,” he granted, focusing on the conversation he was having with a dark silver wolf rather than her.

Riana easily slipped away, eventually finding the den’s exit. A cold winter gust of air stole the warm out of her face but her delirium denied the slight discomfort. She mustered caution, being sure her excitement didn’t overpower vigilance. She stepped out slowly her paws meeting the cold snow. She held onto her urge to bolt into the frigid air. Though in broad daylight, Riana hoped she wouldn’t be discerned among the other wolves. The meadow contained few wolves but to her luck, none of them descried her. She slinked into the forest where she could find safety from prying eyes that might spot her. She left the meadow, shocked by the ease in her liberation.

Now to find my beloved Aaelen.

Aaelen

The day seemed short and uneventful. The pack seemed to have no distinguishable routine, which served as a terrible disadvantage to Aaelen. He waited patiently through the hours hoping to see Riana but just as he was about to give into fatigue and fall asleep on the snow, a sleek silver pelt caught his eye. She emerged from the den and slipped into the forest sending Aaelen’s heart racing. He denied his exhaustion, stood up and dashed through the forest. He had no doubt the wolf was Riana; the way she snuck into the forest, concluded her identity. 

He sprinted around the clearing to prevent form being seen. Finally, he spotted her. Her tail high, silver eyes sharp and searching, muzzle twitching. Aaelen allowed his felicity to drive his paws toward her. When she descried him, her face lit up like dawn on the first day of summer.  She dashed into him accepting a warm embrace.

“Riana,” he breathed as a swirl of frozen breath departed from his maw, relief spilling into him. His muscles relaxed, absorbing her warmth against his chest.

“My Aaelen,” Riana purred in response, causing Aaelen to linger on her gentle words.

Their heads hung over each other’s shoulders as they absorbed the tranquility their affection offered. That one moment delivered them into a state of complete peace. It drove them to believe that together, maybe, just maybe, everything would be just fine.