Red | Teen Ink

Red

By JustBreatheLue, Cincinnati, Ohio
JustBreatheLue, Cincinnati, Ohio

Author's note:

I wrote this story for my creative writing class! It was my favorite piece I wrote for the semester so for my last assignment, I'm submitting it here. I hope you all enjoy.

Red

Seeing Red for the first time is, at first, a very underwhelming experience.
She’s a short girl, around 5’1, and that’s being generous. Her untamed ash-blonde hair hangs down to her waist in loose braids. Wearing a white poet shirt with a black skirt, overalls attached of the same color. And as her signature, a red flowing open poncho adorned on her shoulders.
This was Rats' first and last meeting with the girl, but like many others, he did not know this at the time.
The Piper had assigned him one job that morning. To get enough magic dust to fuel his flute till the end of fall no matter the cost. He approached the girl.
“Miss I’m-”
You see she was underwhelming that is until you heard her voice.
“Yes Piper informed me of you.” her voice- it cut like ice “Take your pouch only, and I’ll take your payment.” Her arm was quickly in front of his face, woven basket in hand. Inside? A large number of medium-sized pouches of magic dust. This would be too easy.

This...boy. Tall and lanky with curly brown hair. Clothes of a peasant and from his looks barely 16. This boy would steal from Wolf today, like many before him. Wolf already knew this.

Rats' hands shook slightly as he took Piper's pouch from the basket, using the small amount of magic dust on his fingertips to steal another. The dense woods surrounding the two made Rats anxiety flare, but according to plan, the stolen pouch appeared in the satchel on his side making it slightly heavier. Red didn’t seem to notice but now she expected payment, and her payment is one large deer skull. The skull type depends on the pouch size, and for one medium pouch, a deer skull would do. Rat lifted the large skull from his satchel. Red took the skull with haste shoving it her basket then pulling it back to her side. “Thank you. Tell Piper we look forward to working with him again.” And just like she was never there in the first place. Red set off the opposite way, down the path and into the dark forest. Rat would never deliver the message.

The forest Rat had to traverse to get home was thick and gloomy. There were so many trees you could hardly see through its thick leaves. Though with fall approaching the fall colors that littered the leaves and grass almost gave Rat a sense of calm. Despite this Rat still knew better, he stole from Wolf. He had to get back to Piper quickly before he is found out. He also had to remind himself there’s still many dangerous creatures that lurk in these woods. Small pig-like creatures that eat your fingers and toes, trees that come alive when provoked, and who knows what else. Rat tried to shake off his anxious thoughts and focus on the broken stone path before him. Actually no one has ever seen Wolf himself before. Maybe Wolf is not one person but many people. Or wait is wolf even a- His thoughts were quickly interrupted when he saw a boy standing on the side of the path looking lost. This boy seemed to be no older than Rats, with dark skin and long dark brown hair that almost reached the floor tied in a neat ponytail with a crimson bow holding it together. The boy was almost as short as Red- though Rat made a personal note of this boy's beautiful daffodil colored eyes.

When the boy spotted Rats relief flooded his features and quickly rushed over. “Thank Godmother! I was thinking no one would ever come this way.” The boy gave Rats a big toothy smile. “I took a wrong turn on my way to my grandfather’s house and on my search to find my way back...I simply got lost.” Rats was going to offer to help then but the other cut him off “Oh where are my manners-” The boy took a bow “My name is Rowan Goldenhood” Rowan bounced back up to meet Rats' eyes. “I’m Rats- I..I- If you tell me where you were headed I can see if I can show you back on your way but I am in a hurry.” Rowan flashed his smile once again. This boy was truly beautiful. “Really? Thank you so much! I was headed down to Story Brook Lane I know it’s deeper into the forest but-” The boys started walking again as their conversation faded into the trees.

A new player to our game of chess, how exciting. Though Wolf also knew that this boy was simply beautiful.

After quirky banter and a little caution, the two finally made it to Rowan’s destination. “Oh, that was simply delightful. I haven’t enjoyed this walk so much in years!” Rowan bounced on the heels. “Though I do wish there was some way I could properly thank you…” Rowan seemed to drift into thought. “I assure you” said Rats “that it’s fine! I’m glad I could help you on your way but I really must get going.” Rats started to turn but Rowan stopped him “Please wait! If you’d like you can just stop by my grandfather’s with me and I’ll give you some pastries as thanks for helping me. Then you can go where you need to.” Rats hesitated but Rowan simply had him charmed. “Alright, let’s do it.”

The Wolf Approaches.

Walking up to Rowan’s grandfather’s house Rat noticed it was very small, but it had a very home-like feel to it. A little old rocking chair on the patio with a little garden on the side of the house. The roof was old and falling apart but the baby blue shingles and white wood made it work. “Here we are!” There was Rowan's smile again as they walked up the stairs to the patio then the door. “I know it’s small-” Rowan rambled as he opened the door for Rats “but it works for my grand-.” Both boys stopped in there tracks. There was no Grandfather. No. But blood covered the walls and animal skulls littered the floor. “Rowan- we need to get out of here.” Rats tried to push back on the boy but Rowan did not budge. “Rowan what are you doing-” Rat stared into Rowan's eyes as they dulled. “It’s a pity really.” Pushing Rats to the floor with strength Rat didn’t expect and shutting the door behind them. “I really did enjoy talking to you. Guess being a henchman to the Piper helps that trait though.” A smirk- Rats' mind started to flood with fear. Rowan has fangs. Rowan's eyes- he- This, this is Wolf. “Wolf!” Rat stuttered as he started to attempt to crawl backward. “I’m so sorry I was just doing what-!” Rowan's eyes widened in shock. “Wolf? Me?” Rowan's laugh was loud and cruel enough to make Rat stop his retreat. “Don’t be ridiculous, I’m not Wolf. What gave you that impression?” Rowan stepped forward. “ My folk like to call me Red.” Rats eyes widened. A closet that Rat hadn't noticed before slammed open behind him making him jump and turn trying to scramble away but failing due to the skulls. Rowan grabbed him by his arms and pulled him up. Holding his face with his sharp nailed hands so he had to look at the door. “That.” A large wolf emerged from the door. “Is Wolf.” Rats examined the wolf as his demise got closed in…before everything went black Rat noticed Wolf had beautiful ash-blonde fur.