The freed | Teen Ink

The freed

January 24, 2020
By Bertha223344, Minnetonka, Minnesota
More by this author
Bertha223344, Minnetonka, Minnesota
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The author's comments:

This short story was made to be connected to another story named The Slaved by Vivian Omar. If you would like to read this story in another perspective please consider reading The Slaved. Thank You

The Freed

     I run down the stairs racing to finish getting ready. I hear the chatter of other orphans laughing and cheering. I meet up with my friend at breakfast and we sit down munching on our pancakes. We sat down next to each other and discussed about our day yesterday and I tell her how the tests were and how I didn’t do too well.

     “Claire, you need to study more or else you’ll fail the NFT’S.”

     “I won’t fail… I’ll just study a bunch the night before.”

     “Claire you always do that and you never pass, I’m worried you might fail the test,” Rose replies.

     “Rose don’t worry, I’ll be fine… I gotta go I’m late!” I exclaim surprised.

   Rose waves goodbye to me and I get up and leave.

“Don’t forget you have a test today!” She yells after me

My eyebrows go up in surprise as I had forgotten.

I run out of the room racing to get to my first class on time. Barging in through the main entrance I shuffle to get to my class on time. Three seconds later and the bell rings, I walk towards my seat and sit down right as the teacher is about to start.

       “That was close,” I mumble to myself.

      The teacher walks around handing out our tests and I panic.

I look at the math problem on my desk regretting not studying the night before, even though I knew I would have a test the next day. A few minutes pass and I look up to see the clock, but I find the eyes of my teacher instead. He calls me up to his desk and tells me that the office has an important message for me. I can see the concern in his eyes and I’m immediately worried. I avert my eyes to the door and start walking toward it. Putting my hands on the door knob, I exhale and push the door open. Walking toward the main office I think about what they would possibly call me up for. Once I get to the office, I walk in and find the eyes of a dozen council members staring at me, and I start to sweat.

“Claire”… the head council starts.

I hesitate, but I nod.

     “My name is Washington Torrez, as you know.”

      I nod again.

     “I’ve been you watching for a while Claire and I have to say you haven't been doing too well in any of your classes.”

     “I know and I’m sorry, I’ll do better,” I reply. He gestures for the people outside of the council to leave the room, and I know it’s serious.

      “You are aware that you might get erased.”

       I tense up.

      “If you fail this test right?”

      “I’m aware,” I answer.

      My heart starts beating and my palms start to sweat at the thought of getting erased. My thoughts get interrupted as I realize the man is still talking.

       “You may go back to class now, but keep that in mind...do well on the test… this is your last chance,” his voice stern and his eyes as cold as his voice.

      I nod my head, too choked up to say anything. I turn and walk out of the room. Walking back to my classroom feels like a thousand miles and I hope to pass this test, but I know it’s not possible because I don’t know any of the answers. I go in and walk to my seat feeling the eyes of my classmates on me and the confusion on their faces as they tip their heads slightly to the side.

      I sit back down and continue my test knowing now that it’s dependent on my life. Once I finish my test I walk up to the front of the room and turn it in. I excuse myself from the classroom saying that I need to go to work.

         Riding my bike home I prepare myself for the worst knowing that I failed the test. When I get to the orphanage I let the head parent know that I’m home and she hands me a snack and lunch and I take off for work. I figure she doesn’t know that I am going to be erased as she shows no concern or worry. As soon as I get to work as a patrol officer, I set down on the border and start my lunch. I bite down on my apple and the flavor of the sweet fruit touches my tongue. A few hours pass and the sun begins to set. My shift is almost over, but before I leave I scan the area one more time and I start heading home as it’s getting dark. I hop on my bike and I pedal through the streets of the city and head home to the orphanage. As I enter, I greet the head parent and walk up to my room, realizing that there is nobody else home. I hop on my bed and shut my eyes not ready for what I have to face the next day.

The next day at school

As I sit on my desk I anxiously wait for news about my erasing, but a whole school day goes by and I don’t hear a thing.

Same day at work

Riding to work I enjoy the beautiful scenery surrounding me as it may be the last time to enjoy it. Sitting down at my post I look around and I spot a teenager around my age with brown hair, golden eyes, and about six feet tall hiding behind a tree. My heart starts beating as this has never happened. My curiosity overrides my fear and I start wondering about the mysterious boy? Why is he here? Which community did he come from? Is he trying to escape? We catch a glimpse of each other and I freeze.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.