Project: Deathless | Teen Ink

Project: Deathless

March 12, 2022
By natalie-the-writer BRONZE, Oconto, Wisconsin
More by this author
natalie-the-writer BRONZE, Oconto, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Matriarch

I open my eyes, but I see no light. In front of me is a giant wooden slab, trapping all light and making it nearly impossible to breathe. My arms are crossed over my chest and the space around me feels tight and claustrophobic.  

            I feel myself becoming faint, my vision distorting and becoming hazy, my head becoming groggy. I will it away and force myself to lift my arms to see where I am. I find that the wood in front of me is not very far from my face.

            I push against the ceiling of this small container I’m in, but it doesn’t budge, even as I put my full weight into it. I move my arms to the sides of me and push against those. I feel the wood giving out. I give one last shove into them and I roll out of the wooden box I was in. Standing up and looking down, I see that it was a coffin.  

            I catch a glimpse of my clothes and study them more carefully. I’m wearing a black tuxedo, an old one. Former but pristine, I note, running my finger along the clean, neatly-cut collar. I feel something sticky and when I bring my hand back, there’s a scarlet residue painted on it. I twist my neck around, trying to get a good look at my back, then wished I hadn’t when I see my backside is full of gore.

            Aren’t they supposed to clean you up before burying you?

            I hear a yell from outside and turn to the doorway. The blinding sunshine that’s glaring through the glass doors of the morgue sting my eyes. I go forward, toward the screaming girl. But it isn’t exactly screaming I hear, it’s more of some kind of battle cry. A strangled, beat-up cry of bravery, yes, but a battle cry nonetheless.

            I open the doors without even thinking and have to step to the side, dodging the throwing knife that gets chucked at me by a man in all black. A girl with the lightest colored hair I had ever seen jumps on the man’s back and wraps a rope around his throat, choking him. The choking, bubbling noises coming from the man’s throat sound bizarre and frighten me a bit, but it also sounds familiar. Soon I find that the sounds of it are calming my nerves until they die out once the man perishes.

            The girl slumps to the ground, covered in blood. Looking at the battle field around her, I see why. Tens of bodies lay sprawled out on the ground, either choked like this man in front of me was, or slaughtered by a sword I see hanging in a sheath from the girl’s belt.

            I make no move to help the girl and she eventually gets up on her own. She brushes off her pants, as if that will help any to get the blood off her. She walks up to me, her movements confident and sincere. She holds a slight glimmer in her brown eyes and has a mischievous smile that seems so natural on her I’m surprised it’s not permanent when she frowns. Then she smiles again. Frowns.

            My eyes once again move to the dead bodies behind her, their lifeless eyes staring up at the beautiful blue sky before trailing back to her face again. She looks so familiar. This all seems so familiar.

            Her eyes narrow up at me, finally settling on a displeased expression. “You’re late.”

            I furrow my brows. “Late for what?” Smiling slightly at the pile of blood forming at her feet from a leg wound, I take a step toward her. “It looks like I missed a lot.”

            The girl suddenly looks angry, irritated, with her brows furrowed and teeth gritted. “Of course, you forgot,” she says, mostly to herself. “You always forget, why should this time be any different?”

            “Look, lady, I don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.”

            She forgets her anger for a moment to eye me up and down. “New outfit?”

            I look down at my bloodied tux and pick at the hems. “What kind of person am I, to choose this hideous disaster you call an outfit.”

            The girl rolls her eyes and turns her back to me. “You really are hopeless, Mark. Let’s go get you your weapon, now.” She walks in zig-zags between the bodies laid out before us like mannequins or display cases, picking one up every so often to look under them.

            “While we’re picking up bodies, is it okay if you fill me in?” I eye a woman with her eyes poked out, a black raven sitting motionless on her shoulder. Maybe I shouldn’t have stayed with this strange girl.

            But everything is familiar. The bickering between us, the blood all around us, witnessing death at every corner. It all feels so natural, and I know, even though I don’t remember, that this is what I’m supposed to be doing; it’s the natural order of things for me and this friend.

            The girl sighs. “Fine, I guess I can give you that much.” She groans as she tries to heave up a large, burly man. I help her with it, but there’s nothing under him. “Basically, you and I are brother and sister, and we were captured here, in this place. It’s called Ghull. It’s our job to try and free everyone that was trapped here. That means we have to kill all of the Gamer’s pawns.”

            “Very cookie-cutter,” I note.  She simply shrugs in reply.

I look around me. Everyone that was laying around us had the same fully-black clothes as the first man I seen had. Only now am I noticing a little infinity sign on the right arms of each of them. I feel my blood boil for no reason at all, but will it away quickly, trying to find something to calm me down. I look for the girl; she may be my sister, but I can sense something special, something that draws me to her.  

Now I need a distraction from all my thoughts.

            “Who’s the Gamer?” I ask.

            The girl shrugs. “Who cares? All I know is that he’s a guy who captured all of us in one giant video game and mind-controls people to make sure they can’t complete the game and set everyone free.” She eyes me carefully. “And just so that you don’t get any ideas, we’re not actually killing these people. First of all, they’re mind-controlled. Second of all, this is just a game. They’re still alive in real life.”

            I look around me again, seeing the bodies around me in a whole new way. It isn’t real. This is all just a game. I imagine trying to pick something up and having it glitch through my hand, and I’ll be able to see a small glimpse of the real world for that split second

I somehow remember playing video games as a small child, curled up in a plush chair, the controller in hand, my tongue stuck out in concentration as I rained bullets down on my enemies. Another bonus, if I did have any experience with video games, I know you get to respawn. “I died, didn’t I? And then I respawned in that morgue.”

            “Hm,” the girl says. “You’re coming to a lot faster than you did the last time.” A pause. “Yes, you did respawn. But for some reason, you took an exceptionally long time.”

            “I ran into some trouble,” I respond, getting a chill just thinking of getting trapped in the coffin again. “So, if I can respawn, won’t these people come back to life just as well?”

            She shakes her head. “We were given special advantages by our… employers that allows us to respawn. Others don’t get that chance. Unfortunately, respawning has a price: we lose all our memories, and it takes quite a while to get them back.”

            “You are very good at explaining,” I chuckle.

She shrugs again. “What can I say, we go through this ordeal a lot.”

I nod my head with understanding, think for a second. “So, my name’s Mark?”

            The girl shakes her head and smiles. “Not really. Ever since we became captured in this game, we forgot our old selves and, therefore, created new names for ourselves. Your name is Matriarch. Mark’s just a nickname. Mine’s Nemesis.”

            “Nice to meet--” I instinctively shove her aside as I see a man charging for us from behind her and kick my opponent in the side of the head. He had his wooden bat up, ready to bash Nemesis’ head open, and he would have succeeded had I not been quick enough.  

            He loses his balance, falling to the ground. The man rolls to his left to where I pushed Nemesis down, trying to lunge at her. I put my foot between them and he bounces off of it, gritting his teeth at me before grabbing at my knees and bringing me down with him.

            He’s on top of me, swaddling me, trying to choke me. When he sees that it’s futile when I keep intercepting his advances, he starts clawing at my face. My cheeks sting and I feel hot blood dripping from my chin.

            I kick him off me and scramble to stand up and get the advantage, but he’s up before I am and kicks me in the stomach, knocking the breath from me.

            “Hey, *sshole!” I hear Nemesis yell. She darts forward, back on her feet, and rams her arm into his side, sending him rolling in the dirt.

            Nemesis draws her sword out and raises it up, walking toward the defeated man, victorious. Until the man spots a weapon nearby and makes a grab for it. He raises a bow, an arrow already nocked in its quiver, pointing it directly at Nemesis. She stops dead in her tracks, eyes wide.

Having regained my breath, I stand up fully to go after the man before he notices that I’ve recovered. Too late. He’s now pointing the bow at me.

“You two better come with me, ‘else I’ll shoot you both straight through the eyes,” the man threatens, his voice rough and menacing.

I sneer at him. “Come on,” I tell Nemesis, “we can take this guy easily.” As I step toward him, she grabs my arm and the man tightens his hold on the weapon.

“We can’t,” she says, eyes intent on the bow. “We’ll get shot.”

I eye her leg. “Says the person with the stab wound. Blood’s a great color on you, by the way; it really brings out your eyes.”

She rolls her eyes and turns to me. “That bow he has right there was once yours, but you lost it! You get shot by that thing, and no more respawning for you.”
            “You can talk and plan all you like,” the man interrupts, “but it isn’t going to change anything. You’re still my prisoners and I’ll still be taking you to the castle. Face it: you’re done.”

Nemesis’ eyes widen before she whispers in my ear. “Just listen to him. Maybe we’ll be able to find the Gamer there. No one has ever been able to get a look at him before! This will be out chance!”

I give her an incredulous look. “You really think they’d have their leader out in the open and lead us straight towards him?”           

“It’s worth a shot, isn’t it?” Nemesis steps away from me and holds her hands up, walking slowly up to the man. “We’ll come with you.”

The man smiles coyly. “Hold up, girly. You’re gonna have to give up that sweet little sword of yours there. Go throw it in the woods.”

Nemesis matches his smile, all smug. “Fine. But if I may give you the trouble in asking, may I also just go to the bathroom?”

The man takes a while before answering, then nods and grunts. Nemesis skips off into an alley. I assume the woods are right behind.

“You’re not afraid of her running off at all?” I ask the man cautiously.

The man narrows his eyes at me. “’Course not. Everyone knows that you two are as thick as thieves. There’s no way she would leave ya, ‘less you were dead.” His smile returns when Nemesis comes skipping back to us. It sends a certain chill through me. “Now come along, children. No dawdling.”

The man gestures for us to start walking toward the morgue, where I came from. We cut through an alley and enter a forest. Only scraps of light are revealed here and there from in between the thickly woven canopy of leaves and branches. I squint my eyes to better see where I place my feet, but it does no good. However, the man appears to have night-vision, because he knew just where to step so as not to trip over a tree root or walk into a face-full of spiderwebs, unlike Nemesis and I.

I bump into him when he comes to a stop and turns to us. “You’ve reached your final destination. I hope you enjoyed your tour. The number of points, added up by the number of soldiers you’ve killed, will be reflected on your trials.”

And then we’re falling and Nemesis is screaming bloody murder in my ear, her white hair blowing up above her head. I scramble for something to hold onto, but my hands only touch smooth concrete walls, rising above us more and more.

And then we land on our feet. I expected for it to hurt or break my legs, but I don’t feel any pain. I look around me to see that the man with the bow is right in front of us, standing in a fighting stance in the middle of an underground tunnel with the bow once again pointed straight at us.

“Nice to see you again.” The man shoots his bow and the arrow sticks into the concrete wall behind us. “I’m Rival, your escort to the king. Follow me.”

He turns on us, quickly nocking another arrow before doing so, and continues down the long stone hallways, Nemesis and I following right behind, knowing we could be this close to finding the Gamer, no matter the cost. I have none of my memories back, and I have yet to find the burning indignation for revenge I should be feeling, but I know I will soon, and that potential is enough for me to want to break the Gamer’s neck with my own bare hands.

The hall was lit up with oil torches that were mounted to the walls in ten-foot intervals, sending long shadows to follow behind us. The stone on the walls were damp and completely covered in places with moss, sending great wafts of a disgusting odor our way. I see Nemesis gag.

And then we’re in a cavernous room, no longer smelling of sulfur, with bright, natural light from the sun’s rays shining down on us through the open roof. A colorless carpet led us up to a throne, where a younger brown-skinned man, the same age as Nemesis and I, sat, looking smug and powerful, high upon his throne. I knew from just a glance at his regal demeanor and confident posture that this was none other than the Gamer himself.

A single guard was at the side of the throne, his eyes alert and attentive, ready to pounce on any danger that comes his ruler’s way.

“Why, what do we have here?” The Gamer sneers. “Ah, the people trying to overthrow me. How badly you have failed. I must say, though--” the Gamer leans forward, like a child getting ready to open a buttload of presents at Christmas, “--you put up much more of a fight than the last few I captured did. I appreciate that.”

Nemesis cocks her head and takes a tentative step forward, eyeing the bow pointed at us. “Nemesis at your service, Gamer. It’s nice to know that we at least gave you some sort of entertainment before getting executed.”

“What makes you think I’m going to execute you?” the Gamer asks, playful confusion on his face. He was playing a game of cat-and-mouse: teasing us with hopes of not getting killed so that we can give him the pleasure of fighting him even as our fate is sealed. Because that’s the whole reason why he’s a villain that acts like a cocky bastard in the first place, isn’t it? To watch his victims squirm? To watch them get a spark of hope, only for it to be extinguished before it can even start to blaze?

“If you don’t mind me asking,” I give in, “but why aren’t we going to get killed?”

The Gamer laughs. “I’m pretty sure that’s a stupid question, Matriarch.” He clucks his tongue when I crease my brows. “You both can easily respawn. I’d have to put you into some sort of hell or purgatory if I want to punish you for treason. Either way,” he stands up and starts walking towards us, his guard that was standing at his throne following close behind, “I like to say I’m a fair ruler, and it’s not very fair of me to punish you just like that, is it?”

“Neither is being a forceful dictator,” Nemesis cuts in, “but here you are, doing that so willingly.”

The Gamer doesn’t acknowledge Nemesis’ jibe and continues. “We have to have a trial so that we can determine the degree of your treason and murder.”

“We didn’t murder anyone,” I say through clenched teeth.

The Gamer purses his lips and rubs his chin. “Really? ‘Cause I’m pretty sure that when you were captured and brought here, you had left a massacre done by you two.”

“Don’t listen to him, Mark,” Nemesis says calmly. “We didn’t kill anyone; the people we defended ourselves against are simply on hiatus to the world.”

The Gamer lifts Nemesis’ chin to look up at him. “Is that what we’re calling it now, love?” He makes air quotes and uses a mocking voice. “’On hiatus to the world.’”

“Yes,” Nemesis hisses. “It’s you who is using people and forcing them to do this game of yours.”

“Now, do you really think that, darling?” The Gamer asks, taking his hand away from her face. “You really think that I’m the monster here?” When Nemesis doesn’t answer for a minute, the Gamer snaps his finger and nods at Rival. “Take them to the dungeon where they’ll await the trial.”

Rival nods at the Gamer and starts down the tunnel, gesturing for us to follow. We don’t question it and follow him with no hesitations. Neither of us wanted to lengthen our conversation with the Gamer.

            “Wait until I give the signal,” Nemesis whispers to me. “Then we go back and kill him.” She didn’t have to fill in the gaps with useless details; I already knew the plan.

            We walk a little farther down the tunnels, this time taking a left instead of going straight. As we went by, the air around us grew colder and damper, and you could see the age on the stones growing from the thriving moss and giant cracks that split some stones in two.

            Once we turned another corner, Nemesis knocks against the wall closest to her, letting a dull thump echo through the empty tunnels. I sweep my leg under Rival and Nemesis takes a dagger hidden in her boot, making quiet and swift moves to slit Rival’s throat, just as she did with the other soldiers. I take his bow—my bow—and nock it with an arrow from the quiver I sling over my back. I count only four more arrows; I’ll have to make those remaining of good use.

We nod to each other and silently retrace our steps, hiding on either side of the threshold that leads into the throne room where we could hear the Gamer and the guard talking quietly.

            Before I can protest, Nemesis takes a quick step into the doorway and tosses the blood-stained dagger at the Gamer. It lands in his jugular and he chokes in surprise, eyes wide. It isn’t long before blood pours from his neck and he thumps to the ground, hands wrapped around his throat, not quite dead. The Gamer’s old guard stares at his old master in shock, unable to do anything, not even knowing what to do if there was something he could try to do to prevent it.

            Nemesis and I stand side by side, gazing at the scene. “Something doesn’t feel right,” I wonder aloud. Finding the Gamer, killing Rival, killing the Gamer: all of it was done so simply, too simply.

            Nemesis nods her head. “It was too easy. Don’t you think?

Nemesis lets out a choked sob and when I turn to her, I see a sword sticking straight through her chest. When it gets ripped out of her and she falls to the ground, her body starts becoming little pixels, each one slowly fading away. Looking at the Gamer’s now-dead body, I see that the same thing has happened to him. They were holograms all along.

Elijah

Soldiers that are wearing green herd us into big groups. I was supposed to go into the group with the other kids my age, with all the other five-year-old’s. I watch as my friends Katie and Finn gladly go into the group, oblivious to the danger they’re in. I already saw some of the soldiers shoot people; who says they won’t do it again, even to little kids.

            I long to go with my friends so I can be with them, but some lady I don’t know grabbed my hand and brought me to the section for thirty-year-old’s. As I watch the soldiers open fire into the group I was suppose to be in, I’m glad the lady pulled me out. I wonder if my friends got hit. I hope not. And if they did, I hope the doctors can save them.

            After five minutes of standing, grown-ups towering over me, I start to get fussy. I whine for water and for my parents, who were separated from me when the soldiers raided our house and ordered us at gun-point to evacuate and follow all the other soldiers’ orders. I already know they’re dead.

            The lady who saved me, someone who looked much older and wiser than someone her age should have seemed, shushed me softly, bending down to wrap her long arms around me. The cloud of rose perfume she wore encircled me, and as I breathed in the relaxing aroma, I began to listen to her. I think she was saying something important.

            “Listen, my boy. I need you to listen,” she reasoned. “Do you see those symbols on the green-clothed soldiers? The one that looks like a sideways eight?” She points fervently at the arm of the closest soldier, making sure to do it as discreetly as possible, as to not draw unnecessary attention.

I nodded and stared at the strange symbol with murderous intent. These were the people who were now destroying our world, and who probably killed my parents and friends. It will only be a matter of time before I’m killed too, and it will be all their faults.

            “That’s the infinity symbol,” the lady continues. “No matter the meaning of it; all you need to know is that they are bad people, the people who have that symbol anywhere on them. Do you understand?”

            I nod my head and press closer to the lady when screams go off throughout the crowd and they start stamping their feet all around me, heading north, trying to not be last so that they won’t be killed by incoming open fire. Though it was only meant for the weak and stragglers, the open fire that soon began to pour down like acid rain, killed many. The shooters didn’t care enough to only aim at those selected to die. And so, people died in ten to hundreds, all people I knew, all from my own home town. No matter their age, strength, ethnicity, religion, or wealth... None of it—nothing—mattered. I felt infuriated, even more so, towards these people who seemed to cause nothing but chaos and destruction and discord.

            “Quick,” the lady whispers to me, only loud enough for me to hear over the terrors happening around us. She leads me farther north, toward where everyone’s heading. I trip, falling against my shoulder with a painful crack. Pain ricochets up my arm and I clench my jaw to will it away. I quickly get up, using my other arm.  

            The lady helps me get to my feet and rushes me over to a manhole a few feet away. She digs her fingers into the crevices and lifts it until there’s a crack big enough for me. “Get in,” she says, breathless.

            I nod and, without question, slide my feet in and step onto the nearest rung of the ladder that leads down into the sewers.

            “There will be someone waiting for you down there,” she tells me. “They will tell you everything, don’t you worry, my boy.”

            I nod and hesitate before going down—a mistake.

            A burly man steps on her back and the lady falls to the ground with a painful grunt. Her head smashes onto the hard concrete of the street and she doesn’t lift her head to tell me she’s alive and well and that I should just leave. Her fingers still hold open the manhole.

 I avert my eyes over her dead body, unable to see my savior in such a pathetic state. In the distance, I see stairs leading down to the street, and on them is a boy and girl, both my age. Behind them is a man and woman, leading them down the stairs. The woman looks like a clone of the girl, and so does the man with the boy. The males had chocolate brown skin, with noticeable green eyes that pierced furiously through the crowd. Each had a golden earring in their right earlobe, both earrings in the shape of the evil infinity symbol. The females are complete opposites, with pasty skin and pristine white hair. They had unremarkable brown eyes, and diadems with black onyx gems dangled from their foreheads.

            “Meet Xander, the Gamer,” The older male yells, arms spread wide, as he presented his little clone to the screaming people.

            The older female nudges her youngster forward, copying the stance the male was in. “And Lillyan: Nemesis and Spy.”

            “These will be the new rulers for the centuries to come, until they pass on their legacies to their own children,” the male continues. “May their rein be strong and long.”

            “May they destroy those who oppose us,” The female yells before putting an arm behind her and taking out a knife from her braided belt. The male does the same, and, synchronically, they plunge the knives into their chests, falling to the marble ground with a thump. Their children stand unaffected by what just happened as they overlook the torture being done on the people of my town.

            As their eyes scan across the crowd, the girl’s eyes catch mine, and we stare at each other with an understanding: we were now mortal enemies, and we were to hate each other till the end of time.

            I start climbing down the ladder, trying to navigate the rungs with only one arm being useful, while pain radiated from my other arm with every little fumble. Nearing the bottom, strong hands wrap around my small waist and set me down on the floor, saving me the trip of the last few rungs.

            The man crouches down to meet me at eye level. “Hi, Elijah,” he says in a kindly voice. “I’m Khalid, your new mentor. Do you want to get out of this place and have some hot chocolate? We can have a nice long chat afterwards, alright?” He didn’t ask about the lady who saved me beforehand.

            I nod with numbness and take a tight hold of his offered hand. We walked side by side down in the stinky sewers, me leaning into him, needing something to hold onto.

            Little did I know then that he would be like a father to me. Little did I know that he would teach me everything, from throwing a punch to formal wear to mathematics and language. And little did I know how much it would hurt when I saw him murdered in front of my eyes when the Spy found us, and killed me in turn. That was when I woke up in the cramped coffin that rested in the abandoned morgue of my old hometown.

Matriarch

“Hello, Elijah,” a familiar voice says from behind me. “How did it feel to have your father murdered in front of your eyes by the person you love?”

            From the very first word, I knew who was now speaking to me. Memories flood my mind, and I remember holding her in my arms and whispering sweet nothings in her ear, kissing her until my lips hurt and kneading my hands through her long, flowing hair.

            It all makes me want to vomit.

            “Lillyan,” I breathe. “Nice to see you. What was it like to kill your loved one’s parent?”

            “Can’t say I didn’t enjoy it,” she chuckles falsely, coming to stand beside me, “but I also can’t say that I did.”. She frowns, eyes reddening.

From the corner of my eye, I see that she looks exactly as she did when she was Nemesis, Matriarch’s sister. But the sparkle in her eyes is gone, and the compassion and drive she had as Nemesis was simply a persona. She’s now a cold-blooded murderer, who uses people, and lies to them just as easily as it is for her to speak in her native tongue. She’s Lillyan, the Nemesis and Spy for this destructive world she and her cruel husband rule.

            Echoing footsteps sound behind us and Xander takes his wife’s arm in his, leading them up to the throne his hologram had just sat in not even five minutes ago. It made me wonder how quickly everything happened: The Gamer getting killed by Nemesis, Nemesis dying, when I saw their bodies becoming mere dissipating pixels, and now this.

            I just wanted to go home and curl up in my father’s arms so he can tell me that it was all just a dream and I’ll forget about it all in the morning.

            An image of Lillyan slitting my father’s throat, the dark maroon blood pouring out of his open wound like a waterfall as his eyes widened in surprise flashes through my mind with a painful jolt. I look at Lillyan now, with pure, unadulterated hatred, but also with love. I had once loved her, maybe even more than I had loved my father, knowing full well that may have been a mistake from the start, to love her and have all these feelings for my enemy. I knew she was probably just using me to get to the Resistance, but everything she did, everything we did together, all seemed so real and truthful that the idea never crossed my mind more than once. When it did, I shooed it away, wishing for it to let me be. I should have listened to my conscience, and so then I wouldn’t be standing here, trapped by the one I once, and may still, love, who also killed the only family I had, as well as her cruel husband, who decided to torture and control all these helpless people.        

            I come to realize something in this moment: Why am I standing here, wallowing in my defeat and showering myself with self-pity? Why, when I could easily use this time to think up a plan and escape, maybe even free all my fellow peoples.

            I put an arrow in my quiver and pull the string back, getting ready to be able to shoot easily when the time comes for escape. The leaders of this disastrous world don’t seem to notice and don’t even bat and eye at the deadly weapon, locked and loaded, in my hands. Their attention is fully focused on my face.

            Xander cocks his head, lets go of Lillyan’s arm, and folds his hands behind his back. “This position should have been yours, you know,” he says. “You deserve the throne, Lillyan, full control.”

“What kind of backwards psychology is this?” I ask forcefully. “Why are you doing any of this? What’s your game? Why make so many people suffer?”

“Why so many questions?” Lillyan yells at me. “Why so many questions when you know all the answers? I know you’ve known for a long while now.” Tears threaten to fall down her cheeks and she looks genuinely upset, maybe even fearful?

Of what? I wonder.

Xander puts a tentative hand on Lillyan’s shoulder to calm her down. He murmurs something in her ear, and Lillyan gives him a hard look, but doesn’t say anything more.

“Have you ever heard of the story about the princess and her cat?” Xander asks me out of the blue, turning back to me.

“Can’t say that I have,” I tell him. “After all, I was being raised to be an opposing ruler of yours, not a storyteller.”

He ignores my chide with a wave of his hand and begins his cat story in a terribly monotonous voice. He has no quivers and is full in his confidence, despite his lack of protection against the knocked arrow pointing down at his feet… for now. It will only be a matter of time before I can shoot his heart, him and Lillyan both. But the thought of an arrowhead, full of blood, poking out of her back makes me even more melancholy than the thought of my dying father does.

“There was once a pretty maiden, whom all the men in the village had loved and wished to wed for her beauty. Now, someone that beautiful couldn’t give her heart out to just anyone; so, she created a game for the men in the village. She had a cat, a little orange tabby that would crawl through people’s gutters and knock flowerpots off of their windowsills. There was a blue collar made of ribbon tied around the cat’s neck, attached to it an adorable little bell. The princess claimed that whoever was able to catch the cat, and untie this ribboned collar he wore, she would wed him.

“Everyone would try so hard to catch the cat: they’d set traps, they tried leads, they tried treats and tricks, but nothing worked. But there was one man, as in all the fairytales, who was actually smart, and not dimwitted like all those other fools. This specific man would set out a dish of tuna on his front stoop every night, in which he’d sit on the top step of his porch and watch the orange tabby nibble at his laid-out food. He never approached the cat, would only let it eat in peace and watch it disappear back into the alleys.

“After weeks of this happening, while more and more villagers failed at capturing this specter-cat, he decided to approach it. The cat allowed this man to pat his head, scratch behind his ears, and the man was finally able to untie the ribbon with the bell, and he held it in his clenched fist gently while he continued to stroke the cat.
            “He stood up after, looking at the miraculous collar tucked into his hand, while, before him, the orange tabby turned into the beautiful woman all the men had wanted to wed. The man proposed to the woman with the bell, which had turned into a diamond ring, and he slipped the ring on her awaiting finger.”

I waited for more. After a moment of silence, I realized the story was over. “And?”

Lillyan smirks a little, replacing it with another displeased frown so quickly I’m not sure if I imagined it or not, and looked at Xander while he sighed, agitated.

“There are many different perspectives taken and lessons that can be learned from this story, my friend. My take is that it requires patience to get what you want. And you will be heavily rewarded when you take the time to get what you want done. This story was based off of one of Aesop’s fables. I heard that the Resistance is a very big fan of literature; I’m surprised you have not heard of it.”

            “I heard of the actual story, not your fake retelling of it,” I snap. “I don’t get anything you’re saying.” I raise the bow before getting it knocked from my hands. Someone grabs my arm, tucking it uncomfortably behind my back as I feel the sharp edge of a knife get pressed against my neck.

            I forgot about the body guard.

            Xander steps towards me. “My point being, if you were to ever be so patient—” he smiles at his self-made joke, “—I want you, Elijah. You’re a skilled fighter, a bit dull when it comes to emotions but bright in every other which way. I want you on my side. I have hope that, with enough time, you can come through.”

            I crinkle my nose in disgust and snort. “Says who?”

            Xander chuckles. “Says the knife held against your throat at this very moment.”

            I open my mouth to give a reply before I see Lillyan gesturing to me. I avert my gaze to her to find that she’s pointing to her head. “Am I real, Elijah?” she whispers.

Xander takes a glance at her. “Now is not the time for your nonsense, Lilly.”

            “No. I’m not real,” she continues, ignoring Xander.

            He goes to Lillyan, talking to her in a quiet voice so that I can’t hear. She’s still staring at me, and I’m trying to figure out what she means, trying to figure out what game she’s playing, trying to figure out what any of this means—when it clicks in place.

            This is a video game. None of it’s real. I can hit the quit button just as easily as I can click respawn, just as easily as I can click save, just as easily as I can change my clothes. I just need to find out which button it is.

            I start pressing on my wrists, my neck, any pressure points that can be used to escape this, some place to trick the game into thinking I’ve died with my free hand. The bodyguard doesn’t seem to notice, but I’m still discreet.

I look to Lillyan for help. She’s focused on the ground now, twirling a strand of her hair withon her finger, nodding once in a while to whatever Xander’s explaining to her. She points behind her ear. Exactly where there’s a pressure point.

            I press against it, feel a little light-headed once I do. It can’t be kicking in yet. I just can never get used to the feeling.

            Thirty seconds pass and I press harder when Xander turns towards me again, done with his conversation with Lillyan. “Now, where were we?”
            I ignore him, pressing harder, feeling myself becoming disoriented. I want to take away my finger, to stop this pain, to stop making myself dizzy and woozy, but I keep it there, digging my finger harder and harder. Another second, five seconds, ten seconds pass by. I can tell that Xander is trying to get my attention, but I can no longer understand his mumbled words.

            My vision goes blank. But I am still conscience. I want to go back, I think. I want to go back to where I started.

Elijah

I’m in a bed, laying down. I feel a sharp poke in the back of my neck, and when I sit up, I sense an itchy trickle of blood.

            Looking around, I see I’m in a room with thousands to millions of others. On my left is the woman that had been trampled, that had led me to the man on my right, Khalid. Both their necks are sliced open, but no blood pours from their open wound. Their, their eyes are closed peacefully.

            I set my feet on the floor, standstanding up. I immediately have to sit back down, dizzy. I try again, slower this time, and I can actually function, though I am a bit wobbly on my feet.

            Aligned throughout the entire warehouse-looking building I’m in, there’s rows and rows of beds, each filled. Some dead, some still alive. Those who are dead all have their throats slit, but all are cleaned up. No blood, no sounds, no decaying bodies. Those alive appear comatose.

            In the front of the room are Lillyan and Xander, sitting atop what seem to be thrones, much different than the ones previously.. Their eyes are closed, and are in the same state all the others still alive are in. I approach them, it taking forever to cover the length of the warehouse and begin walking up the steps to them.

            Around Xander’s waist is a sheath, inside it a dagger. I unbuckle it, take hold of the dagger, slicing Xander’s throat without hesitation. No blood pours, and I find I’m staring inside his neck, his innards plain as day.

            I turn to Lillyan. I study her features, wishing I could wake her so that I can kiss her and hold her and just be with her. But I don’t. I shove the thoughts away, clearing my mind of everything but my next few thoughts.

 I love you, I think, as I raise the dagger. Please forgive me, I think, as I plunge it into her heart.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.