The Secrets Beneath The Surface: Young Bones | Teen Ink

The Secrets Beneath The Surface: Young Bones

By KhloeRAlvarez, Visalia, California
KhloeRAlvarez, Visalia, California

You are not alone, and you never will be

Sure, I’ve had other kids that made fun of me for my brother not coming to pick me up from the orphanage yet, but I know he will, eventually. . .

I don’t even know who I am fooling anymore, he hasn’t come back in a year, he said he’d be soon but when’s the soon?

Everyone else has been adopted but me. Something I’ve never told my brother, Charlie before, though, was that I was a Humalien, probably the last one, too. I never learned how to unleash my form, though. I’m sure once I do it’ll be really cool, though. 

I bet I’ll be super powerful since I was also born with powers of healing and creating objects at will, as explained by my pink hair.

Our orphanage keeper, whom we all called Mrs. McSmithean, was very mean and controlling. We all had to wear these uniforms. Our skirts were so long they covered our knees, nobody really minded that, though.

I know it’s usually my older brother who writes these in his perspectives, but he’s currently unavailable if you’ve red the ending of the previous book.                                                           

One day, a child got into serious trouble with Mrs. McSmithean. She pulled her by the wrist into her office. Mrs. McSmithean was yelling and shouting at her. Then it was absolute silence. Mrs. McSmithean left the room, but the girl she pulled in there was never found.

This started horrifying the other children. They begged to be adopted because of Mrs. McSmithean. Every day, she’d pull in another child and they’d never leave again. Today was my turn. The kids pushed me out of the room as a sacrifice to Mrs. McSmithean.

She transformed into an alien. So that’s why nobody was ever found in this room. I screamed, but then I realized that I had powers. I summoned a gun in my hand and began shooting at her. 

Mrs. McSmithean was dead. Just then, the cops arrived. I immediately wiped my fingerprints clean off the gun, put her finger prints on it, and then started to collapse to the floor and cry. The cops comforted me and took Mrs. McSmithean’s dead corpse. 

The children thanked me for being a hero and saving them all to an unavoidable doom. I knew I couldn’t stay here forever, I had to go. I decided to go look for Charlie. I decided that he’d have a job by now. The most common job around here was working for SpaceSloths, after all, human life barely started on this planet 3000 so they still had a couple of developments to go through, not to mention getting aliens away from the people on Giplantis. 

I snuck in during the night, there’s hardly anyone who stays up this late. I snuck past the security guards and now I was in space. Luckily, humans could now breathe in space because of mini gadgets put in modern-day clothing. 

I was looking for Charlie for weeks, maybe even months. I never found him, though. One day, I noticed a mission with the strangest number I have ever seen. It was 0010010. What’s weirder is that it didn’t have any related numbers near it. It said out of order but I went to check anyway.

I looked around, I didn’t call my brother’s name because for some odd reason, I could tell that I was not alone here, and that whatever was here was not here to be my friend or anything like that.

I looked up. There was a man. He seemed quite hostile. He threw a green blade at me. Being so young, I couldn’t dodge the blade. I could no longer feel that I was in control. I summoned a knife. I began pulling it closer and closer to my chest until I stabbed myself and died.

I appeared in some void, surely this wasn’t the afterlife, right? There were other people there so I assumed that yes, this was the afterlife.

The people had colored hair, like me, so I assumed they had powers, too.

My older brothers, who are named Keithen  and Alexander, both went to volunteer to join SpaceSloths so that they could keep the business running, get high paying to help out with the rent and protect us.

They promised that they’d be back soon but they still haven’t come back home. Father didn’t like them not being home. He had already lost our mother and now he had lost my brothers too.

He started drinking after they didn’t return. I was scared and worried for him. He’s never acted like this before. That’s why I preferred to be at school more than at home, not because I was a nerd or something, but because I felt safer at school than at home.

Father kept getting more abusive, though. He’d start to shout and curse at me for no reason. I wanted to hopefully get him a doctor, but there’s no way he’d be okay with that, he’d kill me if I got a doctor for him, even if he needed it.

The only times he never hurt me was when we were in public, obviously. He couldn’t be seen hurting a child for no reason to the open eye because it was illegal. He’d even threaten to hurt me if I ever told anyone what he did to me.

So, if anyone asked why I was bruised, I’d just say that I was really clumsy sometimes. One of my teachers started getting concerned about how much I didn’t socialize. I just told her that I was just naturally shy. She usually believed me. However, she started believing that maybe there was something wrong going on at home.

One day, she asked if she could meet my father. I was kind of nervous to tell him that. Since my father needed to look like a normal and wholesome parent, he went anyway, but I could tell that he’d truly rather do anything else other than sitting down and having a conversation with someone.

My teacher’s long, ginger hair was extra wavy today, I don’t know why. She usually has it straight, to be honest so I don’t know why I said “extra wavy” probably because sometimes there was a slight wave in her hair.

She looked at my father with her emerald green eyes. She finally began speaking.

“Your Kingsley’s father, right?” She asked.

“Yeah, I am.” My father replied, “Why did you want to meet with me?”

“Well, I just wanted to congratulate you for raising a son who does so well in school!” She announced, “But he is pretty unsocial for his age.” She added.

“He’s just naturally shy like that, he gets it from his mother, she never really was too much of a social person.” He replied.

“Okay, well maybe you should try helping him be a bit more social, just so that the kids don’t think that he’s weird or anything.” She said.

“I’m sure it’ll be alright.” My father 

replied.

He took me home. I had a feeling that he was going to scold me for stuff that I didn’t even know about but he didn’t. That was unusual for my father nowadays, he always tries to hurt me for stuff I didn’t even do.

I left up towards my room. I forgot to mention that my father got a girlfriend, even though he’s drunk. There wasn’t really an age gap, they were only 3 years apart, so it was fine.

She was nothing like my father, though. She was sweet and kind. I wondered how they were even a couple. I later learned that he had paid her parents to force her to date him. 

I was quietly reading in my room. Apparently, my father had been calling me, and I didn’t hear. I knew what this meant, but not really. He said he’d kill me but I just assumed that he meant that I’d be in big trouble but he WASN’T kidding one bit.

I ran away from home. I kept running and running until I finally realized that I must’ve lost my father a while ago. There was no such thing as going home anymore.

I’d sometimes be at my father’s girlfriend’s house. Apparently despite the fact that she was an adult, she stayed with her parents and therefore under their control because of her grandma that lived with them.

Her parents didn’t take the money because they’re toxic, it’s because they needed the money to save my father’s girlfriend’s grandmother (his girlfriend’s name was Elizabeth, by the way).

I thought about going there but then I thought that if my father were to visit them, he’d find me and kill me.

I had no choice but to run away from everyone and everything. I decided to go look for my brothers. I snuck into the SpaceSloths base to go search for them. It was huge, and there were multiple security cameras and systems everywhere. I wondered if I was either lucky, or if the security systems just weren’t themselves today.

I looked everywhere for my brothers. Every mission was checked, multiple times, too. I still never ever found them. Then I came across one that didn’t look so familiar to me. Mission 000123 I believed it was called.

I didn’t check it out, I’ve heard many rumors about that place, it was said to be cursed so that whoever entered never came back out alive. 

One day, I was searching for him on a planet called Polus (I think). There was another kid there. He approached me.

“Where’s your caretaker?” He asked.

“I lost them, so now I’m looking for them.” I replied, looking around.

“So they don’t know you're here?” They asked.

“Nope.” I replied.

I turned around. Immediately after, I felt something stab me in the back. 

I woke up immediately afterwards, but something about me felt strange… I looked behind me. The kid and his caretaker were there. His caretaker seemed proud of him. I don’t know why but I had this urge to kill. I held up my hand. Immediately, sharp bones burst out from the ground and impaled them. My eyes widened. I quickly left the scene.

Everything else that day was a blur. By the next day, I had just hoped that it was just a bad dream or vision. I felt normal so I didn’t think that I would have done anything wrong, hopefully.

I was now on this huge airship, I didn’t even know if I’d even be able to explore a fourth of it before everyone finished their assignments. I was walking around, taking in every detail that I could about this place.

Most of it was red, and usually trimmed with metal. It was also very clean, the only place that wasn’t clean was the showers, and also the hallway on the first floor of it, but it only had one empty tin can, that I assumed was for beans, on the floor.

I looked down. I was still wearing the white shirt and a brown school jacket, as well as my brown pants and black tennis shoes that were like boots.

I entered a room near the cockpit. I saw someone. They looked about 15 or something. I raised my arm upwards. My eyes widened. Once again, bones came out of the ground and impaled them. I was silent. Then I started to cry. I then heard something outside but the doors closed on me.

I had no idea what was going on. Whatever it was, I didn’t want to be a part of it, but part of me felt like I was somehow going to end up in it by accident for some reason. 

I decided to hide in the vents. I didn’t want anyone to see me. I was a monster. I looked through the vents a couple of times just to see if my brother was there or not. Even if he was, I didn’t want to show myself anymore.

I decided to head back home and finish my father off. I stormed down the street like a raging bull. The streets were empty and it was in the middle of the night. Suddenly, someone pulled me into an alleyway. It was my father. Apparently, he led a gang now. I smirked and raised my arm. They all got impaled. I grinned at their dead bodies. I decided to go back to school. The kids were wondering where I had been, especially Isaac Generton. 

Isaac Generton wasn’t exactly the exact image that would appear in your mind when you thought of a school bully. He had a pale face, blue eyes that made him look innocent, freckles that attracted a couple of girls every so often, and brown, curly hair that most likely was either an accident, natural, or he just brought a curling iron to his head.

I was casually walking through the hallways when he pulled me and held me into the wall as if he were trying to use me to break it down or something. 

“You think this makes you look tough?” I asked.

“I don’t think it makes me look tough, I KNOW it makes me look tough.” He replied.

“Wanna be tougher than a man? Meet me in the alleyway near the school with nobody there but us.” I said.

“Bet!” He yelled. He let me loose and went towards the gym, his father usually lets him prepare to beat someone up there since he’s the gym manager. 

I waited for Isaac in the alleyway. He didn’t appear until an hour later. He was wearing his normal school clothes, Black leather jacket with a black and white striped shirt underneath, blue ripped jeans, and neon green tennis shoes.

He was about to punch me in the face but I dodged him. I raised my arm in the air once more and impaled him. His friends ended up being there to witness, luckily I impaled them too.

The more I killed the people I hated, the better I felt. I decided to ditch Plantistis (the sister planet to Giplantis) and head out into space to continue my killer’s deeds.

I liked my new powers. I was reading this book about human anatomy. There was this one fun page where I got to name the body parts after learning about them. I pointed to the main part of the bones.

“Rib cage!” I exclaimed. Just then, bones came out of the ground and covered me, as if I needed to be shielded. Now I was stuck. I was wondering if I could somehow undo this.

“Broken bones?” I announced questionably. That seemed to work. The bones then slowly sank back into the ground. 

Now I had to be careful when I said the words Rib and Cage because most likely I’d end up in something like that. 

It’s been a few weeks, I haven’t heard from or about Charlie in forever. I hope he was okay during that mission. He never seemed to have come back, hopefully nobody killed him. I wanted to go look for him. I probably should. Charlie most likely thinks Erick captured me because I was wandering around in the open, but that wasn’t really the case. Erick caught me because I went back for my sister, Aqua. Erick overpowered me, and kept me as a hostage in order to try and get Charlie to join his side.

Luckily, though, Aquatic somehow was able to break free from Erick’s mind-control and saved us both. I don’t know much about what happened next other than that Charlie went on a mission on the airship.

I decided to go looking for him. Hopefully, he was just really busy and didn’t have time to come back to Giplantis. I had to sneak out of the house. Since I revealed my form in the previous book, the public would scream if they saw me out and about, minding nobody’s business.

Thankfully, I was able to.

I looked everywhere for Charlie, then I thought, what if he was sent towards the 

monsters? I decided to check there, just in case he was. I looked around everywhere for him. Chronos then appeared. Chronos was basically our leader.

“Where have you been, Molten?” He asked (Chronos doesn’t know my real name, so he just calls me Molten, I was fine with it, it sounded a lot like my actual name anyways).

“Out.” I replied.

“How many souls can one alien have?” He asked jokingfully.

“I guess there’s no limit.” I chuckled.

I then decided to ask him about Charlie, I don’t think they’ve ever met before, but hopefully he knew about what happened.

“Let me see what I can see.” He said. The blackhole behind him started swirling around him. Chronos closed his eyes.

He was using his vision ability to see what happened to Charlie. I was slightly surprised that he even knew who Charlie was, hopefully it was the Charlie I was talking about, it’d be kind of awkward if it wasn’t.

Chronos fell back a little. He paused for a moment. I was hoping that he was just being dramatic, he usually was after seeing a vision.

“Charlie is under the control of Erick.” He said quietly.

My eyes widened, so that’s why Charlie hasn’t returned yet.

I returned back to Giplantis. Aqua got up, I didn’t think that Kevin nor Bryan who were sitting on the couch even noticed that I entered. You’d think that them technically being brothers somehow would make them more concerned about Charlie.

“Did you find him?” Aqua asked.

“If she did, he’d be here.” Delmar announced from the other side of the living room.

“No, I didn’t find him but I know what happened to him.” I replied.

“He didn’t die, did he?” Bryan asked.

“Worst, he somehow got his mind controlled by Erick.” I replied. Everyone stopped as if you paused a video almost. A statue moved more than they did.

“Surely you’re joking, right?” Kevin asked, concerned.

“I wish I was. . .” I replied.

“Charlie has been telling me and Kevin about this dream he’d been having recently, it was where he seemed at the brink of defeat and Erick at the brink of victory. Erick then finished Charlie off and then the dream ended. He says his dreams and visions usually warn him about a future that could happen if things go wrong.” Bryan explained.

“But we only know that part of the dream, we don’t know if there was something 

else to it.” I said.

“But what do we do now?” Asked Delmar, “If there was a part of the dream that mentioned how to prevent that horrible future, then only Charlie knew how to prevent a horrible future meaning unless Charlie has free speech instead of free actions, we’ll never know what to do!” 

“We’ll just have to try!” I said.

“But what if we fail? All of humankind and alienkind could be doomed!” Kevin asked.

“I know, that’s why we’ll have to think about our actions very carefully, one little mistake could set up the worst ending imaginable.” I replied.

“And once we do,” added Aquatic, “Erick will repent for what he’s done!”

“Well,” Delmar announced, “What the heck are we waiting for? Time could be our very first mistake!”

“Right.” I replied.

I decided to return back to tell Chronos about this plan. Hopefully, I could get him to do it. Since he was an advanced alien, he was able to get through the barrier no problem, but he rarely ever did it, mostly because he’s not exactly the guy who likes to go into crowded places, not that he’s shy, he just doesn’t like hearing so many voices all at once.

Hey look! Finally the main narrator is back! I'm just bored right now, though. If this clone nor Erick doesn’t kill me, this boredom sure will. I’m wondering what’s been taking my friends so long. But then I realized that Erick’s not the type of villain to go around announcing his plans, part of his plans, or anything that could be used as a hint as his plans. 

Wanna know the weird thing about this universe? It’s all in a singular giant planet about 200x the size of what Jupiter was. It had its own moon that orbited around it, but it didn’t circle a star for some odd reason, either that or the way it was designed just didn’t allow it to show a star.

I was looking at the moon, it was almost a half moon. We’ve learned that Aquatic and Delmar are most powerful at night because the ocean is stronger at night, even on Giplantis somehow.

I remember looking at the moon with Megan and the rest of the gang (Delmar, Aquatic, Bryan, and Kevin). I missed spending Giplantis nights there. Now all I have for a reminder of good times is the moon of Solratio (By the way, that’s the combined Latin words for Sun and System, they basically just translate some words into some ancient and dead language and then combine the words and name a planet that, except for Polus, a guy just named it the first thing that came to head, we don’t get the most creative with naming planets nowadays.)

Sometimes my clone battled me for seemingly no reason, but if he’s feeling anything like me, I’d just assume that he was doing it out of boredom.

Sometimes, Erick would have me do deeds for him, like help the evil aliens win, or make sure to get as many innocents out as possible.

I hated it, but it was the only action I could feel right now, other than battling my clone. My clone wasn’t too scary. The only thing that really scared me about when it talked was because it’d do it randomly, there was no pattern or anything, believe me, I’ve tried to find it.

It usually said, “You’ll never escape the future this time!”

That’s what almost worried me more than the occurrence of when he’d say that. What if Erick has noticed that I prevented all his planned-out endings of misery and now he’s finally gotten me out of the way from stopping him. What if my friends were dead in the end? In my head, I’d constantly be thinking about that dream that I had all those months ago. For those who have not read the first book yet, my dream was that I was very weak, and then Erick finished me off. 

I’d get it again as a vision every now and then. Every time that I did, I’d pay very close attention to everything. I wanted to make sure that if there was something telling me how this future would be prevented, I’d do anything to prevent it—Oh wait, I can’t, because I’m trapped in a whole nother dimension probably, where there is just a dark, galactic void that you can walk on. 

So until my friends discover why I haven’t seen them, I am trapped here with no escape and endless boredom with the main thing entertaining me is some evil clone of me.

All I hope for is that my friends were the answer to preventing a horrible future, because if not, then almost everyone including me is or might be doomed. Please hurry up whatever it is you're doing, guys, because I don’t think time is merciful right now.

I don’t know how, but I somehow escaped from that void thing that was the afterlife for the people who got killed by the man who killed me. I learned that his name was Erick. I didn’t even think of revenge, I just ran in my soul’s form which was just some glowing light pink orb.

Anyways, back to looking for my brother, Charlie. Surely he’s gotta be somewhere around here. I decided that the vents would probably be the fastest way to go look for him. While in the vents I bumped into a boy who looked around my age (I was nine, apparently you don’t age in voids because there are no years). 

“Sorry!” I said.

The boy had brown eyes that were quite dark, brown hair that was visibly brown in any kind of shading, tan skin, and wore brown clothing, too.

“It’s okay.” He replied.

“So, what are you doing in the vents?” I asked.

“I’m just looking around for someone.” He replied.

“Me too.” I replied.

“Really?” He asked.

“Yep!” I replied.

“Who are you looking for?” He asked.

“My older brother.” I replied.

“I’m looking for my older brother, too.” He replied. 

“That’s cool.” I replied.

Just then, a guy came into the vents.

“Are you guys aliens?” He asked.

“No, we’re not so you're okay—” Just then he threw a knife at me. I caught it just in time.

“I’m not an alien!” I yelled.

“I know, but I am!” He cackled. 

The boy hid me behind him. He walked a little bit towards the alien.

“Get close to me.” He said. I did what he said, I didn’t know if he was making up a plan or what.

He then yelled, “Rib cage!” Suddenly, bones came from under the ground (or the tubes probably) and impaled the alien then crushed him with the top of the vents. 

“Broken bones.” He announced in a normal voice.

“What was that?” I asked. He seemed a little bit nervous.

“Nothing, I was just born with bone-like powers.” He replied.

I could tell that something was up. Was he an alien and didn’t want to tell me? I shrugged and followed him out of the vents (by the way, the vents tube was actually quite big, I don’t know why they even needed them that big but they are that big).

“Where’d you learn how to use your powers?” I asked.

“I’m self-taught.” He replied.

“I never got to say who I am, my name is Rosie!” I announced.

“That’s a pretty name.” The boy said, “My name is Kingsley, but I remember my older brother Keithen would usually call me Killy sometimes.”
“Those are both cute names.” I replied.

Me and Kingsley got along really well. I did in fact learn that Kingsley was an alien, but not in the sense you’d think. He was an undead alien, meaning he wasn’t born an alien, he just died and somehow became one. That happens every once in a while.

Kingsley would learn a new ability every now and then. He apparently could summon the skeletons of anyone real or fake that he could imagine. That skeleton would also fight his enemies.

I liked Kingsley a lot, but deep down somewhere, I could tell that something was coming. I was starting to grow weary of everything around me. Everything from a broken tile, to people being aggressive felt like some sort of warning to me, almost. This was a red flag, because all Humaliens, no matter how skilled, can sense danger or unwanted events that they’ll end up in early.

Then, one day, I finally realized why. We decided to go see if we could find our brothers in this one mission, 0010010. I was skeptical of its placement because it wasn’t around any missions with similar or closer numbers.

I now knew why it was placed there, it was because that was home to Erick. I hid Kingsley behind me. Erick wasn’t around, though. Maybe he wasn’t home? Just then as we were about to leave, Erick appeared.

“Well!” He announced, “Haven’t had two easy victims in a while!”

Kingsley frowned.

“We’re no victims of you!” Kingsley shouted.

Kingsley raised up his arm. Bones grew from the ground and almost touched Erick but they were not growing big enough.

“How cute, you two think you can defeat me!” He yelled. He then threw a green blade at us.

I immediately got Kingsley and I out of the way. He kept throwing them more and more.

Kingsley tried attacking, but he couldn’t hit Erick at all. I knew I had to do something, but I didn’t know what. Then I remembered that I could summon anything at will. I summoned a gun in my hand and shot at Erick. The bullets glitched through him.

“Bullets are too tiny for a glitch!” He cackled.

So that’s how he’s so powerful.

Me and Kingsley couldn’t give up yet, though. We had to keep on fighting.

Erick wasn’t giving up, though. He was determined to kill us. We were only children and the only way we could look towards is using our brains, and hoping that villains in the real world are dumb, too, like the ones you see in TV shows and movies.

Unfortunately, this is no TV show or movie, and the villain wasn’t always an idiot in the real world. Erick kept throwing blades at us. Kingsley then decided to use his ribcage ability to keep us safe for a bit as we figured out a plan to beat this guy.

Kingsley then got an idea. He then opened up the ribcage and hid me behind him.

“So you think staying up there doesn’t make you look like a loser who depends on flight for victory?” He asked.

“Clever, but I know what you are trying to do.” Erick announced.

“Do what? Admit that you’re useless without your ability to fly?” Kingsley asked

“Triggers don’t work on me.” Erick said.

“If you’re really tougher than a child, surely you’d come down here, unless you're just some scaredy cat!” Kingsley yelled.

“Okay then, maybe I am.” Erick replied. 

Erick truly was hard to beat.

I guess we couldn’t take it that way. So we had to come up with a different solution. Kingsley then decided to try and recreate a bone structure of a glitch. Luckily, he somehow was able to do that.

The skeleton of Erick began attacking him and even winning, too. He then attacked Erick to the ground. Me and Kingsley made a run for it. We eventually arrived at the end of the half-planet (those exist in this solar system). 

Kingsley then tried to transform into something. So did I. While I couldn’t transform, Kingsley could. His form would have been disturbing but I’ve already seen things. His arms’ skin was separated from the main body with bones, the middle part of his body was also showing bones, and he even had wings made out of bones. 

He then carried me to the nearest planet. Hopefully Erick won't come after us.

I hated how I lied to my brother. Sure, I didn’t exactly mean to, but I still hated it. I told my little brother, Kingsley, that Alexander and I would be back soon. Alexander and I took the bus to the headquarters.

The bus wasn’t exactly the fastest mode

of transportation, but it was all we could afford. It took us days on that bus until we arrived in Giplantis’ capital, yeah instead of countries nowadays, we have planets that define our nationality. Heck, we even have our own flags for our planets. 

Anyways, back to the journey. We went through this check to make sure we weren’t aliens. I don’t even know why we needed that, aliens couldn’t come to Giplantis, we were the most advanced human society out of all the planets, so human immigrants were very common.

We had another checkup upon arriving on the planet Polus. One of the guys with us ended up being an alien. He failed the security check. The guards immediately started dragging him out of there.

“Wait! Please!” The alien begged, “I needed to get this job for my family!”

He kept crying and begging for them to just give him a chance to prove he didn’t want to cause any harm. Of course, they didn’t listen and he was to be dead within an hour, as aliens usually are. 

I felt bad for him, not just him, all aliens. Sure, they killed us, but if you really think about it, this planet that has its own solar system in it, belonged to the aliens and us humans took it from them, like humans always do. They always take someone else’s home for their own benefit.

Me and Alexander hardly crossed paths during work in Polus. It was fine, though, we really only pretended to get along when Kingsley was around.

Kingsley was really young and innocent. He didn’t deserve to live in a family that was in debt. Our mother worked in this big business that was almost as popular and successful as SpaceSloths. She made really good money from that job. Ever since she died, we have had major tax problems.

After Polus, we both got assigned to this mission called 000123. It was most likely at the bottom. We both went there. It was dark, silent, and cold. This planet must have been some sister planet to Polus because it looked a lot like Polus.

It had a very eerie vibe to it. I looked at my tasks. There was only one and the text was in red. It said, “survive.”

That got me and Alexander worried. Worried that something or someone might come and try to kill us. Sure, that could be aliens but it would have never appeared like this, right?

Me and Alexander kept on walking. We heard many people running behind us. We looked behind us. There was nobody there, only a huge red creature who had probably almost or more than 100 legs.

It didn’t see us so I assumed that it must have been blind or it just wasn’t paying attention to anything. Me and Alexander now understood why the tasks said survive, because we were most likely going to fail that task.

I was hoping we wouldn’t die, Kingsley and our father were still at home waiting for us. Hopefully, luck would be on our side and we’d come back home safely. 

Unfortunately, it didn’t. The red creature came back and killed both me and Alexander. We awoke, not ourselves. We were undead aliens now. Me and Alexander argued over who’s fault this was and then parted ways afterwards.

Many religions were brought over here when the humans arrived (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc.). A lot of aliens sought interest in these religions. I never really wanted to bother with religion. However, I one day decided to go visit a Catholic church. I decided to hide my identity so that nobody would notice or see that it was me. The church wasn’t very crowded, there were really only four other people not including the priest there with me.

After church, more people came in for the later service. I stayed. People were coming to pray to god. They mostly asked for prosperity, wealth, and/or fame. 

Even the priest had just left, but I still stayed. The catholic church wasn’t necessarily closed. I looked up at the glass picture of Mary and the animals looking at baby Jesus.

“God,” I announced, “I. . . I don’t know if you’ll listen to an alien’s prayer. . . We aren’t technically your children because we’re not originally in your form. . . but . . . I only ask that me and my friends can save Charlie and that whatever horrible dream and/or vision he saw won’t come true. Amen.”

I sighed, what was I thinking? Of course  

God isn’t going to listen to a prayer of some undead alien. I guess I just wanted to believe that I’d have someone more powerful than us on our side, but nothing could convince me of that.

I remember the first time I ever fought Erick. I did it to try and save Charlie, even though I almost died. I walked around the church some more, passing by all the glass pictures of moments from the Bible and Christian stories.

I eventually decided to leave the church. There was still some lack of freedom for aliens, like how aliens weren’t allowed to go into any religious buildings, or go to college.

Yes, I do know that this chapter was short, but right now, I really don’t have much to talk about. I just hope that God accepts prayers that aren’t from his children as well. I mean, technically I USED to be one of his children, even though the small town I lived in wasn’t Christian.

They still haven’t come yet. I’m starting to get worried that I’ll be under the mind control of Erick forever. I didn’t want that to happen, I didn’t want to help the evil and hurt the innocents. This clone of mine (or maybe Erick’s) isn’t helping that much unless you consider the sentence, “There’s no escaping the future this time” as words of encouragement that me and my friends will soon somehow save the day.

Other than that, it’s just straight-up boredom. Like I said earlier, if this clone nor Erick kills me, this boredom sure will. I’d sometimes try to break free but my clone wouldn’t allow that. I know two guys could fight over this one really smart girl but two guys fighting over the main guy of the fight’s mind just seems weird to me, but I guess that’s technically the situation here.

I never really did this, but I tried asking my clone some questions.

“What is Erick’s plan for me?” 

“What do you mean I won’t avoid the future this time?”

“How were you even created?”

“You’ll see in the future.” It would reply to all my questions. Great, the only two sentences that this clone of mine knows how to say are, “You won’t be able to avoid the future this time” and “You’ll see in the future.”

This clone was just annoying at this point. Erick, next time you mind-control me, please do not put me with this clone, it is just annoying.

On top of the clone being more annoying than it probably should be allowed to, nothing too interesting happened at all. Erick doesn’t have a big or interesting to-do list when he’s not trying to kill me or my friends.

And then one day, guess what? I magically got freed out of nowhere and back out into the open world! No, I didn't. I'm just being sarcastic because this is just getting annoying, I have nothing to fill this chapter with other than stating how boring this is.

Alright, this time I’m not being sarcastic, something did happen. My friends finally came and confronted Erick about me. I was overjoyed that they'd come to save me and that I finally wasn’t going to be bored. 

Erick began throwing green blades at them. I was hoping they’d be able to handle Erick without me, I do remember that Megan almost died the first time we fought Erick. I also almost died. I just realized I haven’t heard from Zander ever since the first book. Usually, characters like that aren’t absent for that long but I guess I got proven wrong.

Megan and Aquatic were the closest to hitting Erick. They ended up being able to and so was everybody else. That’s when Erick finally decided to bring me to the battlefield (I was watching this through a vision that Erick must’ve set up for me by the way). 

They all stopped at the sight of me. I knew why. There was no way that any of them could fight me. Not because I was strong, but because I was their friend regardless of who mind-controlled me and who didn’t. Erick then made me attack. They were all able to avoid it.

Now I wanted to get out of this void. I kept battling my clone as I in their dimension kept trying to battle mind-controlled me.

“You’ll never win!” Erick and the clone said at the same time, so I guess my clone can say more than two specific sentences.

I didn’t care what they tried to convince me or my friends, this was my mind and this clone had overstayed his welcome.

“Leave my friends alone!” I yelled at the clone.

“Never!” It yelled back

The clone then transformed into a humalien form just like mine; only orange was replaced with Maroon and the blue part was black.

I transformed as well, at least I tried to. For some reason, I wasn’t able to. Me and my clone fought for another hour or so (it probably wasn’t an hour, I can’t keep track of time whenever I’m fighting someone).

My clone then held me in place, I looked up towards the thing (I’ll probably just call it a screen). My friends were losing, and Megan was most likely about to die. Aquatic was the only one that could stand. She tried to go help Megan but Erick held her back.

Mind-controlled me grabbed Megan by the neck and held my blade towards it. I kept trying to release myself from my clone but to no avail.

I couldn’t hold back anymore, I tried activating my form over and over again as nothing happened. Erick was announcing something, probably went something like, “You should have known that you could not win from the very start of this, but of course, you can either choose to join me and your friend, Charlie, or you can choose death!”

If there is anything that I was NOT about to let happen it’s letting Megan die and/or join Erick by force. 

“Charlie, you have to snap out of it!” She cried. 

I kept trying and trying to break free from this clone, but he couldn’t even let the surface of a bucket full of lava go.

“I’m assuming you have chosen death!” Erick yelled. Mind-controlled me was about to stab Megan through the neck. That’s when I finally was able to activate my form and freed myself from my clone. I immediately flew over to the screen and broke it.

Megan and I went flying in one direction, and my evil clone in another.

Great, now this world has to witness how annoying he is.

I was quite weak because breaking free to transform did kind of weaken me a bit. Erick lowered down towards the clone, and then eventually to the ground.

“You all really need to know when to quit!” Erick yelled.

“So do you!” I yelled, hiding Megan behind me.

Immediately, Erick charged straight at us. I readied myself for anything that could happen, I did know one thing that was going to happen, Erick was going to let any of my friends die, especially Megan. That’s what wouldn’t happen because there was no way in heck that I was going to let that happen to my friends and/or Megan.