The Legend of Arenders Chapter 2 | Teen Ink

The Legend of Arenders Chapter 2

September 16, 2023
By LZY, Shanghai, Other
More by this author
LZY, Shanghai, Other
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Author's note:

This is the second chapter. Keep reading!

In a house on a high ground near the riverbank woods there lives a youth. Made of snow-white concrete and decked with a a perfect parabolic brown door with a green knob on the left, the house has two floors and an attic, but only one floor is visible from the outside, as the second is a basement. A small windmill churns atop the slanted green roof. There are six round windows in total---two on the north wall, two on the south wall, one on the east roof of the attic, and another one facing the river to the west. The human who dwells here is twenty years old and goes by the name Casimir Underwood. His great-grandparents were once lords of Northeast who owned the lands around the Grey Mountains and led their people to prosper. They were best known for their rich capital that held a wide range of industries. But the good times did not last long, and for some mysterious reasons this civilization disappeared suddenly and nothing more about it is known among the elves.

       Casimir with a short stature stands in front of his house after breakfast, his fiery brown eyes gazing at the grey sky and the slightly bluish hills in the distance. His short straight blonde hair, a round face and thin lips make him appear quite amiable, and today he is wearing dark brown pants and a beige tunic under a palm red coat. He seems to be lost in thoughts until he hears the clops. The Arenders, headed by Lennox, appear before him.

       “Hail, master elves! What brings you here?” Casimir chuckles.

       “Good morning, Casimir! We come here to ask you some important and complex affairs, are you available?” Lennox greets.

       “Sure. Come on. Come in!”

       Casimir’s place is capacious and neat, with a complete set of maple wooden furniture nicely attributed. The hall to the right is composed of a hemispherical ceiling covered with canary wallpaper, a big square table with two chairs on each side, a faux leather sofa on the left corner, and a shelf with several leather boxes on it. The elves sit down in the hall, and Casimir pours them some ptisan in delicate ceramic cups with silver edges.

       “So, what’s going on?” asks Casimir.

       “Casimir, your ancestors were people of old Northeast realms, right?”

       Casimir’s eyes widened. “Yes, but what does that have to do with anything?”

       “We have discovered some problems that might…well… be connected to the fate of the continent…”Lennox looks worried, and proceeds to tell Casimir in slow detail what they had discovered, as well as their conversation with Eorl the night before and their assumption about Atol.

       “Perhaps it was just some overexploitation by the local inhabitants,” Casimir responds casually.

       “I bethink not!” Lennox’s voice grows stern, “there shan’t be any local inhabitants. We really need to learn more information about the Northeast lands that have been blocked for years. Although we elves live long, we are not immortal, and little do we know indeed about these internal stories. The only event known by the world is the invasion of Atol, but as for the specific incidents that really happened…Well, these may be crucial now for our farther decision. Casimir, you grew up living with your mother and uncle, so you must have heard your family’s story from them, right? We know Atol invaded Northeast long ago, and humans there were expelled, so they passed to the far Starlight Island ever since. But how? Why? Our instincts tell us there’s more…”

       Casimir’s face grows pale: “I indeed know some stories from my parents, but they’re truly unpleasant, and I haven’t told anyone about them yet. My mother told me that these are secrets, and if they were known by the enemies, we would be in danger…”

       “All of us may be in danger anyway now. You’re the only way for us to learn about men. Help us, Casimir Underwood, you’re our only hope.”

       Casimir falls into a long silence, head bowing down. Then, as if reaching a final decision, he raises his eyes. “Aye. I could do Leorilien a favor such being the case. I know the receiving of these old memories will be useful someday. But my accounts are based on my mother’s telling, so I might miss some details.”

       “It’s okay my friend. We will be very grateful if you do so,” replies Lennox.

       “As you probably know, my great-grandparents, Adonis and Baisley, owned the kingdom of the North and made it beautiful. For a time, it was the most prominent kingdom of men on the continent, bordered by Serima to the west, Randor to the south, Melgols to the east, and Icberg to the north. The capital, Gamolrith, was at the foot of the Grey Mountains, and the land was rich. With the nourishing cold fresh water from the Niwe River that originates from the mountains and the protection from the cold air of the far north provided by the mountains, the city could gain the nutrients from the fertile soil and grow a large range of crops and fair plants and fruits. Merchants hailed from all over the country and outside the realm, making its markets known far and wide. Magnificent structures, such as the princely arena and the well-decorated palaces, rose from the ground. Peace and prosperity. My great-grandparents were fully satisfied.”

       “Yes, North Kingdom was indeed a great one. That’s what we know. And then?”

       “Years passed and nothing happened. But then came one year when the water level of Niwe became very low and was not enough to irrigate the farmlands, and there were few rains that year that the city became drought. The people’s fishing and the food growing were forced to halt, and so did the multiple trading. Although the stored supplies were temporarily sufficient to sustain the city for a while, Adonis and Baisley were severely disturbed. Just when they were at their wit’s end, there came Atol who claimed himself as a wizard who knew the pattern of the weather of the old days and could connect to the god of sky using the lost art of intuitive communication. So, Adonis asked him to conjure and help stopping the dreadful climate. Atol succeeded, of course, since he had learned a lot of unnatural crafts and abilities from his master Uruké. His action, as a result, made Adonis admire his power and trust him with no doubt due to his power to save the people. Atol then became the king’s chief aide and handled much of the country by his own hand. For twenty years, North Kingdom continued to flourish, and no one looked further into the origin of Atol or the drought,” Casimir takes a deep breath, and his eyes flicker. “But the strange thing was, Adonis’ health condition deteriorated way too quickly in these years, and by the time he was sixty-two years old, he was too weak to move normally, and all he could do was crouch stiffly on the throne; his face-grew pale, as if constantly covered by a thin sheet of snow. Anyway, he could not resist the sickness and died one year later. By that time, Atol had already held almost full power, including the command of all soldiers in the capital, not only because of his special ability to control climate, but also his powerful political influences.” Casimir’s voice grows low.

       “Hmm…that was a sad story…” Lennox murmurs. Noon approaches, and the golden sunlight shines through the window, tinting the floor with warm amber hues. In thought of preparing lunch, Casimir stands up, and walks to the andiron in the wall to bake some corn cakes and warm up the coffee. “Let’s talk while we eat.” “Thanks! It doesn’t need to be big.”

       “Yeah, so it was. After the funeral of Adonis, his thirty-two-year-old eldest son, Euwig, my grandfather, was crowned by Atol to be the new king. He was lucky to become one, since he grew up with very little regard from his father, and he was almost not made crown prince. Adonis appreciated his second son Zubin better, maybe due to some kind of slight prejudice. But according to tradition, the eldest child was usually the rightful successor. What was worse? His mother Baisley seemed to be worried and wasn’t feeling well either. She told Euwig secretly that she felt very thin both physically and mentally, like butter scraped over too much bread, and she was afraid that she would also die out of strange debility during the bitter winter if she stayed, like Adonis. Baisley decided to leave the continent and pass to Starlight Island, where the time passed slowly, and she would restore her body and mind while learning the lost techniques that could heal mortal pains. Her journey was then prepared, and she chose to leave Gamolrith with her personal retinues in the late autumn. In the morning of departure, Baisley told Euwig and his wife---that was my grandmother---Geonna: “If anyone asks about the reason for my leaving, just tell him that I’m old and want to have a happy time in nature before I die.” She also told his son to be aware of the familiar surroundings, and not to overly rely on anyone in the future. Young Euwig didn’t pay close attention to the meaning behind these words, naturally, and saw off his mother outside the west gate with Geonna, until her unadorned equipage vanished at the far skyline.” Casimir distributes the Arenders with tableware while the warm aroma of corn cakes wafts through the room. Lennox takes a bite of the corncakes and signs in contentment. “I’ll say you cook really well, Casimir,” he smiles. “Thank you.”

       “ So… your grandfather became all alone then. Could he handle all the affairs by himself?” Reece’s eyes are glowing with warm concerns. “Well, certainly not all things were plain sailing. Like Baisley had foreboded, that winter was bitter with severe cold and drought. Furthermore, the Grey Mountain was frozen with extremely big snow, and large pieces of hail pummeled and damaged the city as if driven by uncanny yet powerful forces, and horrible, rare avalanches attacked the city and its surrounding counties twice. The snow brought by them covered the road that blocked the transportation of necessary supplies, which was much more serious than the disaster twenty years ago. The poor were starved and displaced, countless cattle died, there was little usable flowing water and fresh food that had not frozen over, and facilities cracked… The situation spiraled out of control; the city was awash with emergency messages… Yet no one knew why.”

       “This, of course, has pushed the new king to the brink of collapse. He could not sleep or eat with anxiety, for he was determined to find a way out for his people. However, after many different attempts he still failed to do so. Finally, he thought of Atol, the magical man who had accompanied him throughout his life since the age of twelve and had brought peace to North Kingdom for so long. Euwig and Geonna begged Atol to cast a spell to stop the weather, but Atol told the king and his wife: ‘My Majesty, this trouble is indeed a great one that passes beyond the knowledge of anyone, even of me, for it is not entirely natural, and it may foreshadow some more dangerous perils for the kingdom, which concerned me the most.’ His remarks caught my grandfather’s utmost attention, so Euwig asked him to clarify. Atol then claimed that he had already tried to control the climate, but he felt disturbance from the south, which could only mean that someone as powerful as him was resisting against Gamolrith with evil power. Euwig eagerly sought the origin of the resistance, and that was when Atol had the chance to make him believe that it was all done by Weatherburgh of Randor.”

       “Weatherburgh? Wasn’t that the object of the contestation between Randor and North Kingdom for hundreds of years, during the Formation of Human Countries, before Euwig was even born?” Lennox wonders out loud.

       “I have learned from mother that both of the kingdoms had fought for this land hard, cause it had been “the treasure place” where the earliest gods of climate had instilled the wisdom of sky in the Gem of the City, which would give off fair magical light to bless the dwellers and make connection between divine world and mortal world. Well, I don’t really understand much honestly,” Casimir replies, “then, Randor had won the battle and North Kingdom, which hadn’t been so strong by that point, retreated its realm miles behind as required by the victor. So, it wouldn’t be surprising that the ones with blood of North Kingdom had a hidden anger about it, which Atol easily triggered with silver tongue.”

       The Arenders are all finished with eating; Reece and Snotor are sipping the tea quietly; Geong, Jonah and Karl sit steadily against the window, the afternoon sun shining softly on their shoulders, transforming them into warm silhouettes gilded in gold.

       “Euwig immediately ventured toward Randor and was determined to summon the army and march to Weatherburgh in order to find out what really happened and break the so-called curse even if he knew that this action would lead to the war between Randor and North Kingdom, and his men were already too consumed to fight. He gave a speech saying that the people of North Kingdom would fight for the holy land and regain their ancestors’ honor once and for all. Yet that night, empress Geonna was said to have overheard Atol’s conversation with his master Uruké through a glowing crystal ball. ‘Everything is well planned, lord Uruké,” he said, ‘North Kingdom is already consumed under my scheme, yet no one ever knew it, and it won’t be long till we finish the king and take control of the north.’ That was when the most astonishing news broke the last piece of silence. Geonna went straight to tell Euwig the truth, but obviously it wasn’t working, as he told she that he didn’t believe that amiable Atol, his childhood mentor, could do such a thing. The other aides of the kingdom were probably all Atol’s trusted followers or mediocre elders, for they never supported Geonna or tried to persuade the king. Almost no one except the empress casted doubt on Atol. Concerned and helpless, the queen finally decided to save the people from wars first, so she sought help from the king’s brother Zubin. It was said that they talked for many hours, and at midnight when the sky was still dark, they secretly summoned the men into the Grey Mountains and announced the underlying danger brought by the mentally unwell king and Atol. Then they told the inhabitants to follow the safe and brilliant path of Baisley along to the Starlight Island, the only place where conspiracy was banished, and the power of Men would be stored deep in the fair earth, under the magnificent peaks, beneath the stars and in the silver streams, and kept from Uruké the Evil and his fellows at least for a while.”

       “I see what happened. That’s basically why the people left mysteriously, huh?” Lennox looks up and meets Casimir’s eyes with a smile.

       “True. The people immediately started to move. They left Gamolrith from the North Gate and into the mountains in order to stay hidden from the eyes of Atol. Then they were said to have trudged through the mountains until they came to an exist at the western end of the mountains and journeyed down the Niwe River in months.”

“When the sun has fully risen the next morning, most of the people have already escaped during the night. Gamolrith, the city that was once populous, became almost desolate with only few people left. At length were Geonna and Zubin ready to confront Euwig and Atol without further worries. Zubin went to negotiate with his brother while Geonna hid beside and listened.”

“Was he successful in that negotiation?”

“No. Euwig was so angry that his men for the upcoming battle were easily dismissed, and after he has known that Zubin had conspired with the queen to turn against him, he blamed Zubin for doing just as he was pleased like father’s favorite child, eliminating the chance for the people of North Kingdom to flourish beyond the middle of the continent. Zubin didn’t admit to it, so they got into a fight. Euwig hit Zubin heavily on the stomach and humiliated him with remarks claiming that Atol was the only person in whom he could confide since he was twelve. Zubin became very sick and depressed and was bedridden for weeks, and it wasn’t long before he died in desperation.”

“Fortunately, Zubin had not told Euwig that Geonna was too part of the conspiracy during the negotiation, as ensured by Geonna during her eavesdropping, and she herself pretended pretty well, as if she knew nothing. She made up a perfect story---telling Euwig that she was still on the bed that morning when suddenly she discovered that no people could be seen outside the palace window. Euwig, in this case, did offer her a deal---if she joined him and Atol immediately, they would peacefully work together to finish the war; but if she refused to do so, she would be exiled forever. Having no choice, Geonna pretended fairly well again---she pledged her alliance to Atol and Euwig, and even Euwig asked Atol how he could conquer Weatherburgh and punish the Randors for both the deeds that caused the weather and the long-hidden seed of hatred buried long ago between Randor and North Kingdom. Atol then proposed that they could proceed with the battle without human soldiers, but he needed time, a very long time, perhaps one hundred years, to find the evilest giants best at killing in the topmost darkness of earth enough to conquer Randor. Euwig said that he must live to see the fall of Randor, live to see the history of the Formation of Human Countries be rewritten, live to see his successful revenge on Zubin’s deeds, and live to see his people return automatically in reverence of his power. Atol agreed to give him the treasure to live long, but for that Euwig must accept three conditions. First, Euwig must give him Swith, the sword of power of North Kingdom, which is forged with the finest white iron, for further use of building power; second, Euwig must help him summon the goblins and attack the elves of Quiddam and far wildland in large scale so as to remove unnecessary spies---which is later known as the Great War---and finally, Euwig must block the border of the north after the attack and no living things shall sneak in or escape from the lockdown zone till Atol is ready, so that the important news of their deeds won’t be revealed to the elves and they thus away from being expunged.”

       “Oh man….this is dreadful” replies Lennox, shaking his head in disbelief.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.