Magnolia Academy | Teen Ink

Magnolia Academy

By Anonymous32, St.louis, Missouri
Anonymous32, St.louis, Missouri

Author's note:

Hi guys i really hope you enjoy the story and i would really like you give me feed back on my work.

Things were perfect. I, Charlie Melcov, a straight A student, had always been happy. Favored by my peers. Loved by my family. I always felt as if I was in a sudden Euphoria. I could name every form of happy feeling that could ever exist in this world. But this sinking feeling. I had no idea how to explain this. I continued to smile as I walked through the large gates  With my best friend Vanessa. We were attending Magnolia Academy together. Our parents thought It'll be best to go to this school. I looked around to see smiling children waiting in  the school courtyard. In the middle of the court yard was a man-made stage made of wood. Standing on top of that was a smiling woman of faded gray and deep brown hair. She wore a tight fitting dress and her skin was as pale as winter's snow. Her face was bright

“Welcome students to Magnolia Academy," the headmistress announced.

“Hello Headmistress” They all say at the same time, showing teeth.

She paused. My gaze strayed from the headmistress to the people next to me.

“Your parents have sent you here to be the best you can be so do not disappoint them. Your dorms are on your schedules. We expect great things from this class, ” was all she said.

"Yes headmistress," They all say again at the same time.

She left the stage leaving the hundreds of freshman students standing. The smiling continued. I looked around. Catching my eye was a tall boy who stood across the courtyard. He hadn’t been smiling. I’d describe it more as an upside down smile. His arms were crossed and foot was tapping immensely. He made eye contact with me. His foot stopped tapping and lifted a brow. I looked away slowly as everyone left the courtyard. I followed to my first class. I sat at my desk with my classmates as the teacher entered the room. He too had a bright smile. There it was again. My heart dropped. I could only think that something was terribly…wrong.

The class ended. I began to wander and wander. I had gotten lost. I stopped. This feeling, I couldn't describe it. I clenched my chest. I gripped onto my uniform as my eyes furrowed. I continued to smile. 

“Strange, isn’t it?” says a slightly deep voice.

I quickly turned. My eyes were drawn to that strange boy. His face was the same as before. Where was his smile? Was the only question that roamed my mind.

“You're different from the others I can tell,” He says.

“I should be saying the same to you,” I say.

He crossed his arms and approached me.

“Since your different i'll give you an anonymous tip,”

I stare with a smile. I didn’t understand what he meant.

“Be careful who you trust,” He said as he walked past me.

“Wait” 

He stopped

“What is your name,” I question.

He slightly smiled. An emotion I recognised. He looked intrigued by my question.

“I’ll tell you when you decide to stop smiling. Charlie,” He says.

Liebe (Lee-bay)

I watched as he left. What did he mean by that? Stop smiling? Was it possible to do so? My head began to ache. Then it stopped. 

In my dorm I shared a room with Vannessa. I cuddle my bear while she reads her book with a bright smile.

“Ness,”

“Mm” she answered while still reading her book.

“Do you think it’s possible to..stop smiling?” I say.

She slowly turned her head, her smile still plastered to her face. She paused, staring as if she were looking through me, as if she were looking into my soul. I hesitated to speak afterwards. I could feel my chest clenching. This situation has made me…what's the word. Ah uncomfortable I believe?

“I don’t follow. Are you okay charlie?” she questioned as she slowly tilted her head

“Ah nevermind,” I say

I turned my back towards her and covered my head with my blankets.I relaxed my face. I tried doing what the boy did. The upside smile. I succeeded. It was relieving. 

The next day it was my free period. I walked around wandering. I didn’t know what I was searching for, I was just looking. I stopped at the sight of The school's headmistress. She was acting suspiciously. She looked around, not noticing me around the corner. I followed her down the steppes quietly. She entered a room I did as well and hid behind a large shelf. Sitting in a chair was a kid with honey blonde hair. His smile was big yet a drop liquid fell down his cheek. He was strapped to the chair and his head was covered with some form of contraption. A hat maybe? I stopped smiling as the headmistress gave the boy a terrifying expression. 

“Everything has to be perfect,” She says.

I gasped and quickly covered my mouth. The Headmistress turned. I quickly hid back behind the shelf. She slowly turned her head towards one of the dark corners.

“Handle it,” was all she said.

I quickly ran out of the room and up the stairs as a scratching noise filled the stairwell. I continued to run. I couldn’t make out what was chasing me but my mind continued to tell me to run. I exit the staircase and quickly shut the door behind me. I ran down the hall. A hand grabbed my arm and pulled me to the side. The person covered my mouth with the other hand. I look up. A very familiar face had saved me from my terrible fate. He put a finger against his lips. The loud scratching noise ended as he released me.

“Are you done smiling,charlie? Because we have work to do,”

“Work? What do you mean? What’s going on and who are you,” I questioned

“Liebe king, I want your help to free the students from the Headmistresses brain washing,” he answers.

He looked at me. I looked away. If I was brainwashed then how did I escape it? And what will come of Vannessa? And why wasn't he affected by it? I had so many questions. I looked at him. All of this was wrong. I wanted to help.

“How would we break the brainwashing?” I questioned.

He grinned,“I'm glad you asked. I found out that there's a drive on the headmistresses computer called project x, it's used to brainwash the students. We need to delete that information,”

" There's no way we're getting into the headmistresses office without being caught," I say.

"Not unless I distract her. I found out that those who are affected by brainwashing are sensitive to sounds. I’ll play a really loud noise while you go in as a janitor. That should buy you some time to get in and out,” He explained.

I gulped at his words. My eyes furrowed. I half smiled at him then nodded.

I smiled. Blending in with the rest of the crowd. I followed the rest then snuck into the janitor's closet. I changed into the janitor's uniform and acted as the janitor. I entered the headmistresses office holding a tool box. She sat in a fancy leather rolling chair at a beautifully crafted brown desk. She stared a bit confused. I cleared my throat.

“Maintenance madam. I got word that there was a loose electric cord. I've come to fix it. It’s a hazard,” I say in a deepened voice. 

She stared with a smile,“Ah i see then go ahead. I will step out then”

I nodded as she stood and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her. I quickly locked the door and threw off the ridiculous hat and fake mustache. I opened her laptop and began typing. I stopped, covering my ears at the sound of  Liebe’s “Distraction”. It sounded like nails on a chalkboard. Then it switched to a screeching bird noise then back to a chalkboard. I continued. There was a drive in which says project x. Just like Liebe suggested. I clicked it and read the information. I pressed the “data release" button. I wasn’t sure what I was doing but I knew it was the right button as soon as I began to hear banging on the office door. I flinched, startled by the noise. Screaming was The Headmistress. I looked out the window. The children were screaming in pain while the computer was loading. I quickly looked back at the computer. I've never felt so nervous before. Liebe described it as the word “anxious”. He says that I'll most likely experience it during the execution of his plans. The banging became more aggressive and the tone in the headmistress's voice became Louder. My heart skipped a beat. I quickly looked at the door and back at the computer. It was almost finished yet going at such a slow pace. I tapped my foot and I paced back and forward. I quickly looked back at the computer That had finally finished loading. I grinned.  looking out the window once more. The students were in immense pain. Some gripped onto their heads, some covering their ears. The students then dropped to the ground as the loud noise in the broadcasting systems ended. I quickly unlocked the door and hid behind the door. The headmistress burst through as if she were a wild boar. She faced the window. She seathed at the sight of falling children. I snuck out of the office as her back was 

turned. I quickly ran to the courtyard. The children's brows were furrowed and their eyes were filled with confusement. Standing on the man-made stage was Liebe King.

“Students of Magnolia Academy you are in danger. Headmistress and her staff have been brainwashing you forcing you to smile and be something you're not.  My friend, Charlie Melcov and I have vowed to save you all from this wretched place. So please follow us to the freedom you deserve,” Liebe announced.

The crowd started as if they understood the situation. They looked motivated and ready to leave this place. Liebe Raised his fist and looked at me with a smile. I raised my fist as well, and the crowd soon followed after. 

“Let’s go!” He says.

They all cheered as they began to riot. They began to knock on the gate entrance. I looked around searching for Vanessa. Someone hugged me from behind. I looked back to see my best friend. She wore an actual genuine smile along with tears.

“Charlie! Thank you!” She cried.

I hugged her. Then grabbed her shoulders.

“We can show gratitude later we need to escape,”

She wiped her tears and nodded with determination. The gates burst open. The children began to run out of the gate. Liebe approached us with a grin and the three of us ran out of the gate with the crowd. We all sprint down the hill where we came across a beach and a beautiful sunset. Everyone cheered, hugging each other and crying. I stared into the distance. Liebe at my side. He put hands in his pockets. Everyone else watched the sunset as well. This was the start of a new life. The start of freedom.