Mermaid and a Pirate | Teen Ink

Mermaid and a Pirate

By K-gurl, Knoxville, Tennessee
K-gurl, Knoxville, Tennessee

There are always two sides of a coin.

Author's note:

This is a fun piece of writing that was inspired by Devsis' Cookie Run Kingdom app. This is nice for people who like fantasy and aquatic legends.

Once upon a time, a young pirate was on a ship, searching reluctantly for treasure. The pirate was hoping that one day, he would be able to make friends with someone who would accept him for his goodwill, rather than his reputation. He was watching the rest of the crew do their thing until he saw something in the water. It was a strange gem with a beautiful swirl pattern. Just looking at it made him feel like he was hypnotized by it. Knowing that it belonged to someone, he grabbed a piece of rope and climbed down to grab the gem. The pirate knew that he had to keep the gem safe, so he kept it safe from the other pirates.
Meanwhile, underwater, a mermaid is looking for her lost gem. She tried to ask the fish for help, but she couldn’t use her power without the gem. She looked above the water to see that a pirate was holding her gem. The pirate was also cleaning it, keeping it safe from the other pirates on the ship. The mermaid, wanting to talk to the pirate, swam up to the ship and caught the attention of the young pirate. Looking down, the pirate saw the mermaid, surprised that she wasn’t afraid of him. The pirate realized that the mermaid was looking for the gem that he was keeping safe. The pirate returned the gem, feeling happy to find the owner of the hypnotic gem.

I felt really bad for the pirate during this chapter. I was really close to crying a little.

At the pirate’s home, a greedy and poor pirate family sits at a dining table, curious if the young pirate has brought riches. The young pirate, feeling very sad, said that he found a gem, but gave it back to a beautiful mermaid. The pirate family was angry and unhappy with the young pirate’s generosity and selflessness. They called him a brat and a bad pirate. Feeling heartbroken, the young pirate ran to his room, his eyes raining with tears.
A long hour of dread and regret passed, and the young pirate decided that he was going to leave at midnight. As he was planning his secret escape, the young pirate’s father came into the room, holding an ominous-looking eye patch. The young pirate backs away, asking what’s going on. The father told him that he was a disappointment and was now going to be punished for the rest of his life. The young pirate, afraid of what was going to happen, tried to run away but was instantly knocked onto the ground. The pirate’s father forces the eyepatch on the young pirate, cursing him with unseen dark magic. The young pirate had never felt such severe pain. He screamed as the magic harmed him. The father left the room, having no regrets about what he’d done.

At midnight, the little pirate had gone through the plan, escaping through the window in his room. He managed to bring some food for the long journey ahead of him. While exploring the rest of the sleeping town, he found food that was left unchecked. He knew that some townsfolk were struggling as much as he was. He left a few coins at some of the food stands before heading to a mysterious pirate ship. Little did the pirate know that he was soon to be a stowaway on a ship to a mythical paradise.
In the morning, he woke up earlier than usual, sneaking into a hidden space in the ship. He heard muffled cheers and applause from outside. He looked out the window, seeing hundreds of townsfolk happily cheering on the captain of the ship. He hid even lower on the storage deck, carefully hiding in between some barrels. A bit later, he fell asleep in the storage room, unaware of a huge upcoming disaster.
The young pirate wakes up after a good nap, relaxed and ready to see what’s going on up at the deck. He goes above deck and sees that he’s on a luxurious pirate ship. He feels so happy to see the ocean once again, for it is the only place where he feels like he belongs. Suddenly, his eyepatch starts to overflow with powerful and overwhelming magic. He tried his best not to make a sound since he didn’t want any unwanted attention. He passes out, falling off the ship and into the water.

This is probably my favorite part of the entire story.

Meanwhile, the little mermaid was watching for any threats until she spotted the unconscious pirate. She instantly recognized the pirate and brought him to the land of mermaids. As she was swimming to her home, the mermaid created a bubble for the pirate so he could be able to breathe underwater. The young mermaid found a place hidden in a dark area, it was her little hideout she went to in case she needed a break from the crowd. She let the pirate rest in a soft coral bed and noticed his strange eyepatch. It immediately reacts as the little mermaid tries to touch it. The young pirate immediately feels the pain and wakes up afraid and confused, the pirate attacks, using shard daggers to attack the mermaid.
The little mermaid, surprised by the young pirate’s actions, uses her magic to contain the young pirate. The pirate tries to struggle out, ending up in failure. As the pirate continues to struggle out of the mermaid’s magic, the pirate’s eyes turn into a black sclera color with red eyes. The eyepatch’s magic was beginning to grow and become too violent to control alone. The mermaid, feeling sad for such an innocent, suffering soul, approaches the pirate and uses her magic to calm down the dark magic. The young pirate, now feeling less pain, starts to calm down as well. The pirate, feeling confused, looks around.
The pirate looks at the mermaid, instantly recognizing the little mermaid’s face. The pirate was happy to see that the mermaid had been doing well. Not long after getting approval from the other Gem Mermaids, the two of them live together, living a fun and happy life out in the ocean.