Spotlights | Teen Ink

Spotlights

By RLupo BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
RLupo BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire

November 7, 2039, 4:36 am

My name is William. I am writing to alert anyone who may find this, I hope to God that you do before it’s too late. DO NOT LOOK AT THE LIGHTS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. They are not stars, or planes, or whatever you may think, I saw it with my own eyes. The lights are the tractor beams of a highly intelligent alien race, or what I thought was highly intelligent. I have managed to get off their mothership via an escape pod, at least I hope it is. I spent what I believe to be a day on the ship, somehow un-noticed, barley un-noticed, after they abducted me.

They restrained me to a table and were about to operate on me to find God knows what. They look almost exactly like humans, except for the fact that they have red skin, giant eyes, have no hair, and a weird glove on one hand, some on the left hand and some on the right. I heard one of them ask for a “Momoweb”, which looked like a very big knife that you would find at a fancy restaurant when you buy an overpriced portion of steak. The aliens were about to start cutting into me when an alarm went off and a red light started flashing. Underneath the light was the word “Neoskizzle” Which I assume to be their word for emergency or evacuate. The aliens started to panic, dropped everything they were doing, and ran out of the room. Leaving me on the table, alone, naked and afraid.

I thought I was doomed, they’d come back and continue the operation and bam that’s the end of me. But I noticed the restraint on my wrist was loose. An alien must have hit it and caused it to loosen during the commotion. I struggled for a bit and managed to get my arm free and proceed to remove the rest of the restraints. They could’ve killed me there or thrown me in a cell, so why didn't they?  I began investigating what I believe to be their medical equipment. It was a full operating room, lights above the operation table, trays full of utensils, the usual stuff. The only thing that intrigued me was the spots on the table, they were lit up and looked as if tubes would come out of the spots and attach themselves to whatever was on the table. Deciding to not give myself any more thoughts as to what could’ve happened to me on the table, I moved on to search for an exit.

The nearest door led me to a corridor, red flashing lights were going off and I was able to see a few aliens running around. Whatever was happening must have been important. I turned the opposite way from the running aliens and crept around, trying to stay as quiet as possible. Turns out aliens don’t notice a human sneaking around their space station when in a mass panic. The corridor was dark and futuristic, the walls were ribbed and looked as if they were covered in slime, kind of looked like an exoskeleton of the Xenomorphs from Aliens. It’s funny that I say that now as I was thinking Wow this looks exactly like what you’d see in the movies. Anyways it was scary, and as I continued to explore the foreign place I learned more about the aliens.

I thought I was hopeless as I couldn't read the computers that were in their language. The computers felt old like they had come out of the 1980s, black background and green text with the aliens' language. The weird thing was they used our alphabet, for being a highly sophisticated race I thought they would have used a different form of writing but nope, they use the same letters we do. On the screen were the words “Voov” and “Nekmit”. Next to them were open bars with a flashing line, they were a username and password box, and I had to find them.

The computer was sitting on a desk/table as there were no drawers except for that one really small one that you have to back your chair up in order to open it properly or else it’ll get stuck on the arms of your chair. I opened it to find slabs of some material that were the size of sticky notes. Some had random words on it, nothing useful to me, until I noticed that one had “Voov” and “Nekmit” on it with “Bartholom023” and “Nanoarrow” next to it. And wouldn’t you know, they allowed me to log in to the computer. Surprised by the fact that I got in, I searched for an answer as to where I was and why I was here.

The mouse wasn’t a mouse at all, it was a glove that tracked the position of your hand and has buttons that you hit when you made a finger curl. The glove looked like it was too big, and when I put it on it was in fact too big for my hand. I tried navigating the computer but had no luck as the glove was too loose and would not track my finger properly. There were buttons, tubes, and flashing lights all over the glove, with one big one in the center. CUriosity got the best of me (it often does) and I pushed the button. The glove started shrinking to fit my hand and being a normal human I got scared and tried to take it off before it shrunk too much. I wasn’t fast enough and the glove stopped shrinking as it fit my hand perfectly. I thought that was it, until a sharp pain flooded my hand. The glove was connecting to me and I couldn’t stop it. I saw my blood flow through the tubes, going through the glove and into a mini black box with a screen. The screen flashed to life when my blood entered the box, showing actual English that I could read. Then it asked me for my name, age, weight, and other information about me. The screen turned off for a couple of seconds, showed a loading circle, and turned back on with a home screen, almost like an iPhone (or now an IGlove).   

I continued searching around, looking for some way to understand the language that I had no clue about when I realized there was a slot in the computer that would fit the post on the end of my index finger. Again curiosity got the best of me and I plugged my finger into the computer. The screen on the computer rest and Was now showing English, Turns out in my confused navigation of the system I managed to find my way to the alien’s emails. There were at least 100 emails in the inbox, this alien needs to learn how to keep it clean. Most of the emails consisted of junk mail, advertisements for weird alien products, and the occasional “hot Single aliens in your area.” I scrolled back to the top and found one that was labeled “Classified” which peaked my interest.

Opening it revealed a page full of information sent by another alien named “Wobersond”. He was telling Bartholom that he was told some secret information regarding the north side of the station. Apparently, they had been doing some experiments on humans to try and replicate their race without having to reproduce. In doing so they created a monster unlike ever seen before, how they messed up that bad I don't know. But what I do know is that it is massive, deadly, and has a thirst for blood.

I heard footsteps behind me and quickly unplugged myself from the computer and logged out of Bartholomo's account. The only hiding spot was a locker that I could barely fit into, skeptically I hid in it and hoped the alien wouldn’t find me. The door to the “office” opened and in came a shorter alien, perhaps it was younger than the others as it still had hair and its eyes weren’t as big as the ones I had seen before. The alien pushed a button on the desk and a chair popped out of thin air, that would’ve been useful a couple of minutes before it came in. The alien sat down and searched it’s desk, looking for something I wasn’t sure of. Then I noticed that the alien didn’t have a glove on like the rest of the aliens, instead, it was on my hand.

The alien became frustrated and stood up from the chair and began searching the room. I knew soon the alien would eventually come to the locker that I was hiding in and I needed to figure out what to do to save myself from certain destruction. Slowly I opened the locker door, stepping into the open room with nothing to protect me but a glove that has made itself apart of me. The alien didn’t notice I was there, it kept searching in cabinets and compartments. Everything was going fine until the glove started beeping, warning me that my heart rate was dangerously high. The alien turned around, it’s eyes a black hole, mouth filled with razor-sharp rocks, they were definitely don’t eat their greens.

I bolted out of the door and found myself face to face with more aliens. They looked at me, puzzled and furious at the same time. Without hesitation, I struck the closest alien with the glove, causing blue, honey-like blood to spill from its forehead. The other aliens took one look at their dazed clone and started for me. They screamed and ear piercing scream that would make anyone’s blood boil. I ran down another hallway as they chased me, their screams echoing off the walls of the station.

The station seemed endless, hallway after hallway, doors leading to more rooms with one exit. Eventually, I found an open room, almost like the junction of a mall that shows where you are and where the stores are. There were three options for me to choose from, “MIzule”, “Aloidia”, “ and “Pirend”. The aliens were approaching quickly and I had to decide which way to go. “Pirend” had no lights currently on, “Aloidia” was surrounded by aliens, and “Mizule” was perfectly open.

Going through the “Mizule” gate was a good idea, nothing stopped me and I escaped from the aliens that were chasing me. I stopped to catch my breath, the aliens were slower than me but fast enough to keep me running at a good pace. The “Mizule” area was barren, nothing seemed to be happening which was good for me. The next thing on my list was to find a way out, that wasn’t easy. Walking around I found a couple more computers to plug into and found more information on this “monster” they created. I don’t care much about the monster, just give me a way out already.

I was frustrated, not a single computer was showing or telling me how to escape the station. There had to be some way off, escape pod? Separate ship? ANything? I continued on through the ship and managed to get lost. Yes I got lost, but you would too if you were in a foreign space station running from aliens who want you dead. Anyways I was losing hope of ever getting off the ship until I noticed something on the ground. It was barely moving, and from what I could see it looked like half of a human. My mind instantly thought that i was not alone, and that I’d be able to escape.

I walked over to the object to find that it was an alien, Well half of one at most. It looked up at me and began to reach for me.

“Gerlmal.” It weakly said.

“What? I can’t speak your language.” I responded

The alien motioned for me to come closer, it grabbed my arm and put the glove up to its neck.

“Now do you understand me?” The alien said.

I was shocked, I had no idea that the glove was able to translate speech too, just by pressing on their throat.

“Yes I……..What happened?’ I questioned the alien.

“It’s a long story,” It said through short breaths, “well, somewhat long.”

“I’ve got time.”

“Alright well, to break it to ya, there’s a monster on board this station.”

“I know that much,” I pointed to the glove, “thanks to this I was able to read some emails.”

“So then you know it got loose.”

“Well I didn’t get that far, but now I do.”

“Then can you guess what happened to me?” the alien said referring to half of its body being gone, I nodded and he continued.

“It wasn’t supposed to happen, we never should’ve tried to make something like ourselves without knowing exactly how to. We thought taking a human and injecting them with our DNA would cause them to evolve into us.” the alien finished with a cough.

“So what did happen?” I asked curiously

“It went wrong, that’s what happened. The DNA didn’t mix so we tried to force it by exposing the subject to radiation, thinking that would cause it to evolve into one of us.”

“Evolution doesn’t work that way, you can’t force something to evolve in a matter of minutes,” I responded with a bit of anger behind my voice. Why would they think that radiation would evolve us, it kills us.

“We figured that out human, the radiation caused tumors to grow all over the subject’s body. Causing it to be in agonizing pain, which made the subject angry.”

An explosion went off behind us, a hole appeared in the far wall and I could see a pair of bright green eyes. They weren’t lying when they said it was huge, and to make matters worse, blood was rushing out of its mouth. The monster found us and I then realized what “Mizule” finally ment, I was in the north section, where the monster was said to be.

“Run, get out of here.” The alien said

“What about you? I can’t just leave you here!” I responded, the alien was bleeding out, the red color was fading from its skin, its life draining from its eyes.

“Look at me, I’m in no condition to join you, you’re better off leaving me here to die and saving yourself. Get to the escape pods in the south area, you’ll be safe there.” with those last words the alien laid back and waited for its time to run out.

The monster had enough of waiting and charged at me. It was fast, really fast. I jumped to the side and the monster grabbed my arm, tearing it off at the shoulder. I let out a cry of pain as my left arm was no longer attached to my body, but was instead in the mouth of the monster that was in the midst of turning around to face me. I had to escape somehow, and it knew that I was going to try.

I ran to where the monster had come from and found an opening in the wall just before where it had burst through. It was a series of vents, where the monster couldn’t reach me. The door to the vents closed right as the monster reached it, angry it bashed against the wall and cried out in frustration. Inside the vents were signs saying which way to go, I took a lucky guess and went in the direction that said “Pirend”.

I could hear the monster pounding up and down the halls, looking for a way to get to me. I reached the end the south portion of the station after a stop to wrap my stump so it would stop bleeding, I had a couple of close encounters with aliens which I later heard being torn apart by the monster. The was only one pod left and the monster was coming fast. I only read that it said “Sniffgip” and hopped in.

As the pod was getting ready to take off the monster showed up, and it looked sad. Like it wanted me back, or it wanted to eat me, either way, I wasn’t turning around now. The pod launched out and I found myself in the emptiness of space. The navigation system said, “Sniffgip 20,00 miles away”. SO I sat back to write this letter as a couple pieces of paper and a pencil were in my pocket. Hopefully when I send it out it’ll reach Earth before something bad happens. This is a weird escape pod, one seat, almost like a fighter jet, there was a command to send missiles or some sort of firearm,  and for some reason it tints the Earth’s water to purple. I’ll be home before I know it, hopefully the people on Earth believe me and don’t think I’m crazy.