Year-Round School | Teen Ink

Year-Round School MAG

By Anonymous

     Summer break is awesome, but after a couple months, it’s always time for school again. You walk into trigonometry that first day and hear, “Pop quiz! Let’s see what you know.” Then you realize that over the summer you have forgotten everything from the previous year. Why should we have to relearn material because of a long summer break? This is why we should have school year-round.

One argument against this idea is that you wouldn’t get to take long trips. True, you might not get to take one for more than three weeks, but who does? Usually a vacation is a week or so. If you were really looking forward to that long trip, why not take three (of even four) short trips, one during each break? You would see more places that way.

Now, I know some of you think this isn’t going to make school any better, but Elisabeth Palmer, project director at the Center for Applied Research (author of Year-Round Education) said, “The net results indicated that after one year of experiencing a 60-15 calendar [60 days of school and 15 of vacation], students felt more positively about year-round education.” She also said her studies indicate that “53 percent favored year-round education during the summer before implementation, while 79 percent favored it at the end of the first year.”

Another possible argument against year-round school is that students would have fewer days of learning because just when they would be getting into things, a break would come. I can see this point because we would be having one right in the middle of our current school schedule. But the actual learning time would increase. After breaks, the students would be refreshed and ready to listen better. Also, students won’t have to relearn what they forget over the summer since they would only be out of school for three weeks at a time. When they return after these short breaks, they would be ready to pick up where they left off.

Donald Beggs, an assistant professor at Southern Illinois University, researched summer learning and “confirmed statistically what every teacher knew intuitively. This is that basic skills must be reviewed for as long as one month each September before the teacher moved onto new curricular ground.” John Theodore Stenvall, Ph.D. has studied numerous year-round schools and came to this conclusion: “The first year of longitudinal study, 2000, showed that there was greater progress in schools with certain year-round calendars than in those on traditional calendars.” He also said, “Schools on balanced calendars (single track) outperformed gains recorded for traditional calendar schools at all levels.”

I feel that year-round schooling would benefit students. I think that with it you could actually have more vacations. Also, students would learn more because they wouldn’t have to relearn information after long breaks.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 55 comments.


LILYPD said...
on Jan. 22 2015 at 6:42 pm
In this document there are some good points but there is also a logical fallacy in this document. Not everyone takes tri and not everyone forgets things. But I do think that the point made in this document is a good one people and families cant all afford tutoring or summer enrichment programs. Most parents think that year round school is horrible for their children and that it would cost them more stress and homework.To be honest I have done a lot of research on this subject and I have found that the frequent breaks and the amount of help students get actually decrease they weight of stress and it decreased the amount of students that drop out or become "bums" while attending school.

on Jan. 14 2015 at 12:41 pm
PTsaxplayer GOLD, Boiling Springs, South Carolina
14 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am as old as I've ever been, but I'm as young as I'll ever be." -Robert O'Neill

I happen to agree with his point. If you look at other countries compared to ours intellectually they are starting to become much more superior and part of that is because the students are pushed from the time they go into school until the time they come out and they don't get summer breaks. The problem with our generation is that we have become so heavily dependent of the internet that we are lowering out iqs in the process. Albert Einstein even said, “I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.” Which back then was a bold statement but slowly becoming more true every day.

Ariana_Warf said...
on Jan. 6 2015 at 12:20 pm
thank you Chance. i had to do a report. you have helped so much!

riffikey said...
on Dec. 11 2014 at 12:02 am
I think the biggest problem with year round school is that althought the breaks would be more frequent, they would be shorter and I need the full two monthes to slip into a small coma and recover from all the lost sleep that  has built up throughout the year. There are other things they could be focusing on like starting the school day later (because teenagers need a certain amount of sleep and without this it stunts our developing minds as well as triggers things such as anxiety and depression), higher quality lunches, smaller classrooms, less standardized tests, etc. Year round schooling should be at the bottom of the list on things to debate.

on Oct. 23 2014 at 2:35 pm
Who cares what we forget during summer break?

on Oct. 23 2014 at 12:22 pm
      I believe that kids minds need time to process what they learned over the summer. We may have smaller breaks still but kids would still get exhausted and just not really care anymore. I like to visit my Grandpa in Florida for the whole summer break so I naturally don't like year round schooling. Budgets are tight enough! The school won't be able to pay for resources. The summer break lets me set goals for myself and I process what I learn. Kids can relearn what they forgot and still stay with everybody. I say no to year round schooling.

EMMASUNSHINE said...
on May. 1 2014 at 11:39 am
i really like this. were doing an argument for school and im going to use this! thanks

love school said...
on Jan. 30 2014 at 11:38 am
hi i diss agreee

The Engineer said...
on Jun. 24 2013 at 11:49 pm
    In my opinion, year round school is just a time bomb waiting to go off. The major problems with year round school are strain on the economy, energy resources, and us children.     We are already in a economic deficit, and year-round school is a LOT more expensive than normal school. Year round school will not be more effective if teacher quality goes down as a result of more expensive year-round contracts. Schools are already running with run of the mill equipment, horrible lunches, and poorly paid staff. Consider your poor parents, that have to pay taxes for you to go to school! Over 30% of our tax budget is for education so if the cost goes up, you'll have to do major sequestration/tax increases.     Another thing that we are iffy on is our energy resources. Were are currently fixing that problem and succeding, but I am not sure if our budding energy independence can withstand the onslaught of year round school. We will need to keep air conditioning on longer, and if you think it needs little energy to run, then look at your electricity bill and see how much of that is from your AC. Our friends at Canada have been nice and giving us oil, according to the US Energy Information Administration, but keep in mind our supply is finite and will run out if we use it too much. Rising oil prices due to less supply is something we also want to avoid, and year round school isn't helping.     In addition, you have to consider us children. School is a major source of stress for children, and summer break is the one thing that sets us children free. When we are in stress, we might not know it, but our body releases a flood of hormones. The continued stress of year round school could release unhealthy levels of hormone. When we are under stress, our immune system is supressed. Now, as the CDC knows, what is one of the best ways diseases transmit. Schools! You just solved our million dollar question. Why is that? Well schools are full of people with undeveloped immune systems (kids), packed in a small area. This is the perfect disease environment. We do NOT need an epidemic which puts millions more from school, and we DEFINITELY don't need casualties.     While I do admit I have some bias (I am an academic overachiever who skipped a grade and still reveled as one of the smartest), I do not ignore the opinions of my peers (who can't wait for summer). I clearly believe that the problems of year-round school outweigh the benefits. Anyways, this response was short and sweet. If there is one closing remark I wan't to type, it's the one thing I don't wan't is to have a safe of cash, gold coins, gas cans, face masks, or bottled water to be on my next school supply list

ihave$wagg said...
on May. 14 2013 at 6:04 pm
first of all that good job for improving second you probably were fooling around in school that's why you get bad grades 

Jolene88 said...
on Apr. 9 2013 at 6:53 pm
  I am a junior in a Florida High school. My school switched from a traditional calendar to a year round calendar last year. At first, I was very upset about this switch as I did not want to give up my summer breaks. I must say, my opinion of a year round school system has changed. I love the shorter more frequent breaks.  Also, I am doing so much better in school! I use to struggle often in class and felt I did not have enough time to learn material. I am proud to say I went from a C- to a solid B with my school’s year round calendar.

bluejay2000 said...
on Mar. 20 2013 at 2:09 pm
yr schooling is okay but not the best because there is no life out of this

ipfreely said...
on Jan. 25 2012 at 3:11 pm
hahaha. i get it

mikerox said...
on Jan. 25 2012 at 10:01 am
what do you call obamas butt? the dark side of the moon!! haha

cameronrox said...
on Jan. 25 2012 at 9:51 am
kids will not forget what they learned if we have no summer vacation so they will get a better education. more kids will participate in activities to waste bordem.

on Oct. 18 2011 at 10:03 am
make sure ur not the reseacher !

on Oct. 12 2011 at 7:55 pm
Rocinante SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania
7 articles 1 photo 386 comments
Hmm interesting point. This is something I had never considered before personally...maybe if this was the case, then we could have fewer hours a day of school and kids could get more sleep. Sleep is very important and teenagers especially need it.

on Jul. 16 2011 at 8:57 pm

i completely understand your viewpoint, but i can point out two possible obstacles for the implementation of year-round school calendars, at least in america.

first, money. i'm not saying that year-round calendars dont' deserve the proper funding, but we already have a lot of trouble funding, teachers, janitors, building maitenance, and not to mention air conditioning/heating/electricty/water! new legislation would have to be passed at the very least possibly a raise in taxes.

the second possible obstacle is heat; in the warmer months in the south the temperature would climb above 100 degrees at points. air conditioning would cost a LOT and we would have to make sure air conditioning works in all these classrooms.


Blizzarrd said...
on Jun. 2 2011 at 9:48 am

Year round school is a NO.

Researchers have found its dumb


N3W_$HiZZN!T said...
on Apr. 29 2011 at 10:26 am
noo way there will be year round school beacuse tht would be usless alot of people only like school cuz they get 2 hang with friendz