Old Habits Die Hard | Teen Ink

Old Habits Die Hard MAG

A precarious pile of long overdue library books have been absentmindedly placed in the corner of my bedroom. Dirty laundry forever clutters my doorway patiently waiting to be brought downstairs and washed. The stereo is barely visible among countless papers, notes, and a miscellaneous assortment of books and CDs. The remote control has been missing in action for months now. I remind myself to venture underneath my bed in search of it, but, for now, that project is postponed for another day at a more convenient time (if that ever comes).

Honestly, I was seriously planning on a thorough cleaning of my room last Sunday. I am also telling the truth when I mention that I had counted on the reorganization of the closet two weeks ago since I have been unable to close its door for a month now. This unprecedented explosion in my closet is largely due to the unbelievable jumble of clothing, shoes, bags and other such articles carefully stuffed inside.

I wonder how my room, my life and my mind have all become so terribly cluttered. As a typical all-American teenager, my schoolwork and environment have become a product of habitual procrastination. I swear it is not my fault; however, I know this is a contradiction in terms. Ninety-nine percent of assigned long-term projects are finished, and sometimes started, at the very last minute. I have found myself too frequently pulling all-nighters to study for that big English test, finish my history research project (in addition to several hours of regular homework). I have come to assume that my routine stalling of performing necessary tasks has caused unnecessary added stress, pure frustration, and the development of terrible time management skills.

I am sure I am not alone in my quest to nip this annoying habit in the bud. Trust me, putting things off can only cause trouble to a person's mental well-being. "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" or so I have been told. So, don't you have a room to clean or homework to complete? I do ... but it can wait until later. ?

sprinkshine said...
"Just do it"

squidnabean3 said...
I think everyone has a procrastination problem at some point, and things tend to pile up so much to a point where I don't even want to do anything. So I completely understand.