Idolizing--Is It Healthy? | Teen Ink

Idolizing--Is It Healthy? MAG

Idolizing - Is it Healthy? by A. G., Salem, NH

As teenagers, we all idolize someone, or ihave, at one point in our lives. We put other human beings on a pedestal - be it a singer, a sports professional, a relative, someone with the career we are working toward. If we search through the layers in the back of our minds, surely we can all find a sense of idolizing someone. The question is - is this healthy? Is it good for teenagers - as well as adults and children - to put others high on pedestals, above us, above our friends, and far too high for any person to be raised? Is that a natural part of growth?

I am personally guilty of looking up to other individuals. At times, it can be dangerous and disappointing when that person doesn't live up to the expectations I've set - and that is my own fault. But other times, it can be reassuring to know that there are goals for me to strive toward. I tend to idolize lyricists, poets, and singers who I refer to as "brilliant." I think that's okay and healthy ... it's not okay to obsess, but it's okay to have the same hopes in mind as someone else, and it feels good to know that person has achieved what I am reaching for.

Others may strongly disagree and say that idolizing is unhealthy and obsessive. They say we should have ourselves in mind, and concentrate on ourselves and no one else. I partially agree with that; we can't let go of ourselves and be devoted to another (in most cases, to someone we don't even know). But I think looking up to someone is healthy, especially with us teenagers, who sometimes have nowhere else to look, except up. It's nice to know that someone is there.