Why Space Exploration Is Beneficial | Teen Ink

Why Space Exploration Is Beneficial

By Mila_sleep SILVER, Guangzhou, Other
Mila_sleep SILVER, Guangzhou, Other

Since 1961, when the Soviet Union launched the first spaceship in the world, countries worldwide have kept pursuing better technologies in space exploration for the huge benefits it would bring. Even some sci-fiction books love to describe space exploration, for instance, the Dark Forest written by Liu Cixin is about people’s exploration of space and war between three body people and people from Earth. He also says, “I started writing sci-fi because I looked for a way to escape the dull life, and to reach out, with imagination, to the mysterious time and space that I could never truly reach.” This also implies the status of space exploration in his heart. Obviously, space exploration is not a waste of fund.

First, space exploration can make people’s daily lives more convenient. For example, the satellites that are launched into the space are significant part of the GPS system and can play an important role in weather forecasting. Without space exploration, it would be difficult to achieve these in our daily lives. If there were no GPS system, it might be hard and take much longer time for people to find the places they want to go. If there were no weather reports, people might not be able to change their schedules depending on weather conditions, which might destroy their willingness to do things that should be done in rainy days. Moreover, Musk says in his book Elon Musk that he wants to lower the costs of launching satellites or rockets to the point that it becomes economical and practical to fly thousands upon thousands of supply trips to Mars and start a colony. Space exploration can also make it possible to travel and live in other planets, which would surely bring a lot of conveniences in the future people’s lives for it would be easier to do scientific research and would bring a new chance for human future. Space exploration improves people’s life quality, making their lives more convenient and worthy.

Second, technology improvements make space travels worth the money and funds spent on them. An article from Economists says that “America passed a law in 2011 that forbids NASA from sharing knowledge or resources with its Chinese equivalent.” Many other countries are also faced with the same situation as China, which means that they need to develop the space technologies independently. Space industry gathers the top scientists from around the world to develop sophisticated systems for spaceships in order to make it able to launch them into and work well in the space. Therefore, the technologies used in the spaceship include the best technologies all over the world. To make the spaceships safer in travelling, better in finishing their tasks, and lower their costs, the relevant technologies need keep improving constantly. Space exploration will thus stimulate scientists to develop better technologies. These improved technologies can also be used in other aspects of society, which can promote growth of other areas. For example, NASA developed a kind of paint to protect the space equipment, especially in the helmet of astronauts. Later, a company used this kind of paint in producing sunglasses, which made it hard to have abrasion. Undoubtedly, space exploration is not a waste of money.

Some people may think that space exploration will cost a lot of money which may be used in other aspects, e.g. helping the poor, investing in education, infrastructure and public transportation. For these people, they think that the investments in other aspects will bring more benefits to society. Therefore, they agree that space exploration is not beneficial, and the funds should be invested in other areas. However, the actual financial benefits that space exploration will bring are much more significant than its costs. Dr. Ernst Stuhlinger, Director of Science at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, even responded that I even believe that this project, in the long run, will contribute more to the solution of these grave problems facing us here on Earth than many other potential projects of help. Space exploration enables people to achieve plenty of valuable activities, for instance, collecting data and muds from the moon, and cultivating seeds. For example, a kind of green pepper that we eat today is cultivated by the green pepper that traveled back from the space. They are much bigger and are richer in nutrition than usual ones. Now it has become the main kind of pepper that people eat and create huge financial benefits. Obviously, space travels are worthy.

In conclusion, space exploration will surely bring a lot of benefits in many aspects, for instance, boosting scientific research, increasing conveniences of our lives, and bring financial benefits. Obviously, it is worth the money spent.