Name essay | Teen Ink

Name essay

October 11, 2021
By 2dekker BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2dekker BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My name has always been something that I have loved. I love my name because it is something different. Something unique. 

Something that took forever for my mom to choose. My original name was supposed to be Adaline but that changed as soon as I came out. She said ¨You don't look like an Adaline.¨ So she decided that she and my dad would call me baby number two until she came up with a name. My sister was baby number one even though she already had her name picked out by my dad.  They did this because they thought it would be easier to remember who is who. Twins. 

When she finally came up with my name a few weeks later she loved it and decided to stay with that name. She always loved the name Elizabeth. Loved Queen Elizabeth. But she knew she wanted it to be spelled differently. That's how she came up with the spelling Ellazabeth. She also liked it because it was very versatile. People could call me Ella, Elle, Liz, and Beth.

My favorite is Elle but most people call me Ella. Only certain people can call me Elle like my friend Kiara and my sister. When I was younger I wanted people to call me Ella but now I want people to call me Ellazabeth. I choose to do this because I wanted my name to be more specific to me. 

My dad was worried that people would always spell my name wrong. My dad was right—people spell my name wrong all the time. They say my name wrong. This makes me feel upset. But only when people have known me for a long time. Not when they are first meeting me. 

I didn't even know how to say my name correctly until a few months ago when I asked my mom how to say my name correctly. The only reason why I asked this is because people were always asking how to say my name and sometimes they questioned me when I answered. 

My name represents a sparkling sun on a hot day. In some cases, it can be too hot and some not hot enough. It represents a long day that feels like it is never going to end. My name tastes like a warm out of the oven gooey brownie. It is fluid as a ballet dancer whirls across the stage.


The author's comments:

It is about how my name came to be.