The 5 Most Memorable Visits in Copenhagen. | Teen Ink

The 5 Most Memorable Visits in Copenhagen.

By Lisa-Mary-Paul PLATINUM, Copenhagen, Other
Lisa-Mary-Paul PLATINUM, Copenhagen, Other

BeYOUtiful ✨

1) The Tivoli Gardens

The Tivoli Gardens are undoubtedly Denmark’s most renowned tourist destination. It's the world's third-oldest theme park and Europe's fifth most popular amusement park. With diverse architecture, old buildings, and lush gardens, the scenery is breathtaking. Thousands of colored lights create a one-of-a-kind fairy tale ambiance at night. At the Concert Halls Gardens, take in the scents of hundreds of blooming summer flowers, or rest with a view of the park's fountains. Head to the Hanging Gardens to absorb some sun while having a snack.Tivoli offers a wide range of culinary options. 

Many visitors will bring picnics to the garden, but it’s actually also possible to dine at one of Tivoli's many restaurants. Traditional Danish cuisine, French bistro fare, and gourmet burgers are all available.Tivoli features a variety of themed attractions open throughout the year. Halloween, Christmas, winter, and summer each have their own themed season in Tivoli, with the gardens redecorated to convey snug winter vibes, hearty Christmas feelings, nostalgic long summer days, and spooky halloween. Taking the little ones to Petzi's World, a play area with 40 intricate activities designed specifically for them, is highly recommended. Take a virtual reality trip on The Demon, a 50-mph roller coaster where you'll be whisked up to 90 feet in the air while dragons will chase you. Overall, Tivoli's vibrant,friendly, and warm atmosphere will leave you with many wonderful memories that last a lifetime.

2) The Little Mermaid

This gorgeously delicate structure of a mermaid shouldn't be overlooked. If you have ever tried walking past it, there’s a herd of tourist buses crammed together in the parking area. The Little Mermaid attracts nearly 5 million people each year, regardless of the season or weather. It's a surprise how such a simple statue has become Denmark's most popular tourist attraction, but the truth is that it's uniquely Danish. The Little Mermaid is a tiny mash-up of Danish literature, art, theatre, business, history, and culture.Crowds can be seen scrambling to get near the statue and take pictures. In 1837, an original fairy tale was written by a prominent Danish author,Hans Christian Anderson. The Danish brewer Carl Jacobson was absolutely intrigued with the Little Mermaid Story. He decided to build a statue of the mermaid as a memento and gifted it to the city of Copenhagen;the statue became an icon remaining forever relevant and the sheer brilliance of Andersen’s Little Mermaid lives to this day. Walking by it in the dead of night is a mystical experience, the tiny lights outlining its figure and the sea glistening really makes you catch your breath at how real the statue seems. Don’t let this opportunity pass by you! 

3) Nyhavn

Colourful and enchanting Nyhavn is one of Copenhagen's most famous landmarks and a favourite hangout for locals on hot summer days. Nyhavn's architecture isn't the only thing that stands out; the area's history shines as well. Originally, it was a trading port where ships from all over the world would land. The historic harbour is now dominated by eateries and elegant old residences that have been refurbished.H. C. Andersen penned his first fairy tales in home number 20 down the harbour in 1835 and died in house number 18.  The sounds of jazz,sights of pavement cafés and people enjoying the calm environment and tasty food meet you on a walk alongside the canal. Boats line the canal, and cruises can take you on trips of the city's other waterways.During the Christmas season, when the annual Christmas market fills the cobblestone roadway with festive vendors and dazzling lights, it's the ideal location for a winter vacation in Copenhagen. Danish Christmas dishes like roast pork and delicious Risengrød are available in the cafés and restaurants.What a fascinating visit it is!

4) The Glyptoteket

The Glyptoteket is a Danish art museum located in Copenhagen. Glyptoteket is a place for active thought and peaceful repose, with its distinctive blend of art and majestic architecture. Through 6,000 years of art, the world-class collection of art and antiques continue to give new perspectives on human existence, and civilization. Glyptoteket has been available to the public since 1897 and houses about 10,000 pieces, mostly ancient antiquities and 19th-century Danish and French sculpture and art.Every year, Glyptoteket organises large international special exhibitions with loan exhibits from the world's most important museums.A trip to the Glyptoteket is beyond recommended! You will come out of it with new knowledge about Danish history and that of other cultures too, at the same time it’s one of the few places to get a glimpse of HC Andersen’s magic and how he has shaped so much of what Copenhagen is today.

5) Copenhagen Zoo

One of Europe's oldest zoos, Copenhagen Zoo, is located in upmarket Frederiksberg, a neighbourhood famed for its magnificent French-style boulevards. At the zoo, you can see over 4,000 unique species and travel between continents in a single day. We can also eat chimp churros, polar bear ice cream, and enjoy lunch with a panda. While dining in the state-of-the-art Panda House, get to know the famed giant pandas. Get up close and personal with polar bears and witness the world through the eyes of a giraffe. Every day, 365 days a year, the zoo is bustling with activities. The zoo's animals aren't the only thing to behold. The zoo also has several architectural highlights, like the Bjarke Ingels Group-designed panda habitat and Norman Foster's elephant house. The Hippopotamus House, which debuted in 2007 and has walls patterned after a hippo's skin, and the Arctic Ring, which allows you to watch polar bears swimming underwater, are two more architectural highlights.A mind-boggling experience no matter if you’re an animal lover or not, something delightful is awaiting for everyone.