The Influences of Adversities | Teen Ink

The Influences of Adversities

By Mila_sleep SILVER, Guangzhou, Other
Mila_sleep SILVER, Guangzhou, Other

It is common for people to face adversities in daily life. Adversities can improve people’s abilities, which people could not experience in prosperous environment. However, in some circumstances, adversities can also render people to give up and lead to failure.

Adversity can bring special experiences to enhance people’s abilities and show their talent. Facing adversity, people need to work harder in order to solve the problem to succeed. Therefore, while working hard, people would practice a lot and experience different events, which enables them to make progress. Take Beethoven as an example. When Beethoven was 26 years old, he almost lost his hearing because of a disease. However, he didn’t give up music and worked even harder to overcome hearing problems to keep producing great music. Although he was a bit hopeless, he still loved music and was full of confidence in producing music work. He combined this complex feeling of facing the challenge of hearing loss into his music work and produced great music like Symphony no.6 "Pastoral". Although he was already a great musician at that time, he produced even better music with the complex feeling of hearing loss. Moreover, take Ostrovsky as an example. Because of attending war, Ostrovsky caught many diseases and was badly hurt, and finally became blind and disabled, with only one hand that could move. However, he didn’t feel hopeless. Instead, he thought about how he can help the party and decided to write a book. Even though it was quite hard because he couldn’t move, he still insisted on writing the book. He used himself as the model of the protagonist and mixed his experience in war and feelings after being disabled. Finally, his book How the Steel was Tempered was a huge success.

However, although adversity can bring positive effects, it is possible that adversities can cause people to give up in certain circumstances. Facing too much adversity and experiencing failures too many times may demoralize people's self-confidence. As a result, people may become afraid of encountering failures and thus give up if they face obstacles. Take my experience as an example. I started learning to program when I was in primary school. During middle school, I attended the first programming contest. At first, I was very confident I can win a prize because I had learned programming for about four years. However, during the contest, I made a big mistake and didn’t find out until the last minute. Finally, I failed the contest. Three months later, I attended another contest, I was so nervous because of the failure last time that I could hardly focus on programming. As a result, I didn’t finish it. After these two contests, whenever I started programming, hopeless, nervous, and afraid feelings would appear in my mind. I totally lost my confidence in programming. Therefore, I gave up learning it. Moreover, take the ancient Chinese poet Qu Yuan as an example. Qu received a good education and was talented. He was ambitious and devoted himself fully to the construction of his country Chu. At first, he worked for the emperor in government. However, other nobilities were jealous of him and slandered him. As a result, Qu was exiled. This was a huge blow for him. Instead of cheering himself up and trying to work for the country in other ways as some people did. He was upset and hopeless. He failed to overcome the adversities and suicide.

Adversities strongly impact people. In some situations, adversities exercise people and strengthen people’s abilities which they cannot have in prosperous environment. However, in some circumstances, adversities will jeopardize people’s confidence and lead to failure. Therefore, it is important for people to adjust their mindset and deal with adversities positively. In this way, people could gain useful knowledge during solving issues instead of being defeated by adversities.