How has globalization change my country? | Teen Ink

How has globalization change my country?

By Jolie2008 SILVER, Guangzhou, Other
Jolie2008 SILVER, Guangzhou, Other

When you wake up in the morning and get out of bed made in China, then eat breakfast consisting of cheese from New Zealand, bananas grown in Brazil, and bread from the US, you may consider it a regular morning routine - all thanks to the advent of globalization. Globalization has undoubtedly made our lives more multifaceted, presenting us with affects in the realms of economics, culture, and politics alike. Some people view globalization as an unalloyed benefit to the countries that experience it, but there are certain drawbacks associated with it as well.

The positive impacts of globalization in my country, China, are plain to see. Economically, globalization has provided fresh impetus, allowing a greater access to trading goods, creating more markets around the world, and making it easier for traders to sell products that would otherwise go to waste. This means that although we can only produce limited amounts of cocoa, our citizens are still able to enjoy plenty of chocolate imported from other countries. Culturally, we see that globalization encourages cultural exchange, which works as an essential component of the continued progression of global culture. By forming a connection between communities in disparate places, this intercultural understanding can help us to better appreciate one another and prevent discrimination. Politics also benefit from globalization, in that the modernization of it necessitates a transformation of the political system of many nations. For countries like China, this means that a shift towards democracy and the establishment of a more secure legal system is absolutely essential.

Nevertheless, a modicum of criticism can be directed towards the role played by globalization in our country. This is particularly pertinent when it comes to economics, where developed countries can mandate an economic invasion by providing better-quality goods than those already available in our less-developed countries. What's more, by setting high prices on these goods, they enjoy far more control over the markets they help to provide. Culturally, globalization has been somewhat detrimental, as it leads to a rift between the old and the new, and is also associated with culture invasion - whereby one country willfully re-shapes the culture of an existing one. Politically, according to The influences Globalization Cause on Socialist Politics (Yu Lijun 2008),it has been suggested that the more powerful nations of the world are able to exert pressure on socialist countries, weakening local institutions in the process.

It would seem clear, then, that globalization has, from general to specific, vastly impacted my country. As with any great transition, it is important for us to recognize that the potential for good and for ill, and to ensure that we make use of it for the former and not be made subject to the latter.