A Synopsis of Tom Buchanan's Theories of Race Theory and Women | Teen Ink

A Synopsis of Tom Buchanan's Theories of Race Theory and Women

By abriellayu SILVER, Freehold, New Jersey
abriellayu SILVER, Freehold, New Jersey

Tom Buchanan, the main antagonist of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is a racist, violent, and misogynistic man. During a dinner gathering, he sheds light on his theories of the mixing of races and shows his character in how he treats women. 

Along with many others during the 1920s, Tom Buchanan is convinced if people don’t look after the white race, it will no longer be the dominant race. The white race will no longer be superior. During dinner, Tom says, “Have you read ‘The Rise of the Colored Empires’... it’s a fine book, and everybody ought to read it. The idea is if we don’t look out the white race will be - will be utterly submerged. It’s all scientific stuff; it’s been proved.” Tom believes the author is proficient in his knowledge of race theory and that it is up to the dominant race, the white race, to be aware, or else the other races will take control of things and become more dominant than them. Tom says the white race produced everything that makes a civilization, namely science and art, which justifies his belief of having the white race as the dominant race. Additionally, Tom’s views towards women are he sees them as objects that can be used. He doesn’t care about their emotions and is depicted as a violent and unfaithful man. During dinner, Tom gets a phone call and Daisy declares that it was his woman from New York. Tom does not hide from Daisy that he does not care only for her. He is willing to entertain other women as well. It shows Tom’s character and his inability to truly care about Daisy. When Tom brings Nick Carraway, the main protagonist, to see Myrtle, his woman, he is violent towards her as she shouts Daisy’s name. Tom breaks Myrtle’s nose with his bare hand. Tom shows readers the disrespect and disregard he has for women as well as his close-minded ideals about mixed races.

I love the Roaring Twenties with their fringed dresses, feather headbands, and gloves which is probably why I loved reading The Great Gatsby. While the Roaring Twenties was a time of economic prosperity and social and cultural change, I felt the premonitions of race theory and the treatment of women are not spoken about enough. I found Tom Buchanan's insights interesting as they were common with many other people's beliefs of the time. I wanted to provide a synopsis of race theory and the treatment of women while connecting it to one of the most renowned novels to this day, The Great Gatsby.