The Vegetarian Club | Teen Ink

The Vegetarian Club

February 8, 2010
By Anita PLATINUM, Santa Cruz, California
Anita PLATINUM, Santa Cruz, California
20 articles 0 photos 36 comments

I sit in the cafeteria, eating a turkey sandwich and drinking water from a plastic bottle. My table is relatively empty but a couple friends of mine, some eating the cafeteria's ontray, some, like me, digging in a brown paper bag. Most of the other tables are identical to ours. But in the corner, three large tables have been crammed together, and there is a huge mass of people searching for open spots. They collect from all over, balancing their trays and their eco-reusable water bottles, throwing dirty glances at my sandwich and bag as they pass our table.

This is the Vegetarian Club. They meet three days a week, every week. No exceptions. They aren't only vegetarians; they're are also vegans and pescatarians, but the one thing that brings them together is their unbelievable adoration for animal rights.

They scoff at those who dare to eat meat (or anything that comes from a company that uses animal testing) in their presence. They have over five teacher sponsors who advocate their agendas in classes. Yes, the Vegetarian Club is quite powerful at my school.

You may have already noticed my, okay, a little rude description of this establishment. Now let me just take a step back for a second. I don't have any problem with animals. They're great for pets and safaris and whatnot. I'd just like to show you animal protectors a little bit of a second opinion.

First of all, I'd just like to say that humans are animals. So, actually, when someone says they support animal rights, he or she is also saying that he or she supports human rights. And, let's face it. If humans are animals (which we are), then aren't we also part of that big cycle we study in biology called the food chain? Animal-rights activists seem to forget this when they rant about humans killing other animals for no good reason. It's not to say that we aren't different than the rest of the biomass. We most certainly are. We're smarter, and we've developed symbolic thought. But wouldn't it be stupid for us to retract from the natural cycle of life even more by not eating meat?

Now, you animal rights activists out there, aren't you guys also part of the whole “save the environment” attempt? Well, I hate to brake it to you, but humans were naturally programmed to eat meat. That's right, eating meat is what got us big brains and all that science we use today!

Eating meat is good for you, too. Just as long as you don't have bacon for breakfast, a hamburger for lunch, and a steak for dinner, eating meat will keep you healthy. Our school just held a blood drive, and a bunch of people from the Vegetarian Club came to give blood. But you know what? They weren't able to because they were iron-deficient.

As for pescetarians, well, I'm not sure where to start. Do they think that fish don't have as many feelings as land animals do, or something? I mean, come on. If you're going to have a strong passion for animal's rights, you might as well not be a hypocrite. If you're not going to eat meat, then don't eat any meat.

There is one thing that I agree with animal rights activists on—animal testing for candy, makeup, etc. is cruel. But this also leads to something that I don't agree with them upon—animal testing for medical purposes. Humans are more important than animals are. It's just true. We're smarter, and if we have the capability of saving another human being's life by hurting a mouse or a dog or a monkey, than that is what we need to do. Human life is more valuable than any other animal's could ever be. The next time you think about how sad it is for a mouse to live in a small cage when it's being tested, think about your mom or your dad or your sister dying, and then decide which you'd rather happen.

I don't want to offend any people who are really into animal's rights, I just think that they should look at some facts and think about other points of view before they scoff at another meat-eater.


The author's comments:
Just wanted to show those vegetarians another point of view, seeing as they think they're all cool for not eating meat.