Grow up. | Teen Ink

Grow up.

By whisperingofdawn GOLD, Colorado City, Arizona
whisperingofdawn GOLD, Colorado City, Arizona

Who says being mature is a good thing? Maturity is a decision all of us make at some point in our life. Whether forced, or willingly made after a long wait. For many, it means responsibility, or a gain of knowledge. Maturity is the point at which someone starts to truly understand the way life works. Sure, maturity represents good attributes, but do we ever stop to consider the things lost during this process? Do we ever take a step back to think about whom we've become? Maturity can come in many forms, but it doesn't mean we have to forget about whom we were before we made all those mistakes, and went through all of the challenges we faced to make us the people we are today.
Maturity, most of us are taught to respect it since childhood. Some parents, as was the case with mine, make it seem like a haven, a doorway to freedom through which by entering you say goodbye to any worries you have. They make it very clear that it isn't given freely, but has to be earned. Although I didn't know it then, it is gained through experiences. Through experiences you learn valuable life lessons, each making you smarter. However, we never stop gaining knowledge thus, how can we ever truly be mature?
When I was younger, I looked at the older kids and the first words that came to mind were rude, and boring. The older children had no consideration for people younger than them. To them younger children were only objects who had no feelings. When I would tell them about a goal, or dream, that was far-fetched, they would tell me that I was immature and needed to grow up. I still carry those dreams around in my pocket, and I am proud to be immature. If maturing means giving up on dreams, and being domesticated for the sake of others, I don't want to grow up.
Every being is born perfect. Clueless, but perfect. As we grow up, we forget what it was like to run through the sprinklers on a hot summer day. We shouldn't be categorized based on age. A huge factor for a child's self development is consideration for another's opinion. Therefore, it has a huge effect on the way we see ourselves. It is one of the most harmful things a child can ever go through, yet; ironically it is a big part of maturing. If people lived freely, without the pressure of being something they are not, the world would be a more unique place, and life would be worth living to the fullest.
Does growing up have to mean saying goodbye to any senseless fun that once gave us such hope for life's mysteries? Do we have to conform for life's experiences just so we can belong? In this generation, maturity is just another excuse for conformity. I will continue to be immature. I will keep chasing those dreams because no one has the right to tell me what to do with my life. Responsibility is only a habit, and can be taken in by the youngest of children because it is only instinct. Have fun, live life, and never forget what you're living for.