Mirror, Mirror | Teen Ink

Mirror, Mirror

March 19, 2010
By Queen-of-Sarcasum13 DIAMOND, South Bellmore, New York
Queen-of-Sarcasum13 DIAMOND, South Bellmore, New York
63 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dance like no one's watching.Sing like no one's listening.Love like you've never been hurt. Live like its heaven on earth." -Mark Twain


When you walk into a bathroom at school often traces of conversations float into your ears. "I'nm so fat.." "Does this skirt make my butt look big?" "I bought this new skin purifier.." "Yeah i spent six hours doing my hair!..." "I feel so ugly!" "I got caught...yeah...the teacher yelled at me for rolling up my uniform skirt!". Then you washed your hands and glance in the mirror. Your hair is messed up, your not wearing a lot of make up. Your not as skinny as the girl next to you slathering on lip gloss. Her hair looks really good. You shrug off your sudden concern and walked outside. Four guys drfit over and flirt with her.But no one comes to flirt with you. You look around. Why does everyone look so good, and you look so...bad? You trip and see a fashion magazine, beautiful skinny girls with big eyes and full lips. You sighed and flip through the pages, "Why can't i look beautiful?" you ask. That is what mordern culture feeds us. You wnat people to like you? You want to have friends? Then you have to look like we tell you. You have to look like this or your ugly. And that is wrong on so many levels. Mordern movies, magazine's and tv bangs into our heads what beauty is and that there is only one kind of beauty, their kind. Its saps the self confidence of every girl out there, making them feeling naked, insecure and unloveable. Some girls turn to eating disorders, starving themselves to fit the media's idea of beauty. Others give up and stop trying, allowing themselves to slip and fall deeper into a dark hole of depression. Somedays I can't even look in the mirror without walking away feeling like some hideous loser. Its time the media stopped trying to mold girls into the computerized barbie dolls they plaster everywhere. Its time everyone saw that there are many kinds of beautiful, not just the ones on the glossy magazine covers. Everyone is beautiful, made with gentle loving care. But everyday we are trained to judge appearences, to greedily paste our selves with make up, dress in short glittery clothes, wear sprakly flashy jewelry and have perfect hair. Perfection is unachieveable by a human. But everyone looks around an says "Why can't i be beautiful?" but what they're really wondering is "Why am i not perfect?". Why? Becuase your beautiful and lovely as you are! You don't need make up or boys' attention or anything to prove it! Its time for us to unroll our skirts, smile because we're happy,throw out that stupid magazine and walk up to the bathroom mirror. And you look yourself in the eyes and say "Mirror, Mirror on the wall. I love me for me." and walk out of the bathroom and take on the world. Insecurities have no place in the hearts of the women of this world!