The Neglected Art: Cooking | Teen Ink

The Neglected Art: Cooking

By KunaiNinjaFighter SILVER, Monticello, Arkansas
KunaiNinjaFighter SILVER, Monticello, Arkansas

"Think left and thing right, Think low and Think High, Oh the thinks you can think up, if only you try!" Dr. Suess oh and "Two things are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'- Albert Einstein

Art- when most people think of art, they think of DeVinci or perhaps they think of Mozart. Art is one of the main structures of society; I mean, where would we be without it?
However, there is one art that is almost always failing to be mentioned- the art of cookery. Some would argue that cooking is an old housewife job and that it's time consuming and labor intensive, but think about it- isn't painting, drawing, and orchestrating music timely and laborious? All art is that way, and I think this is one of the defining characteristics that makes cooking art.
When someone cooks, they gain the ability to paint pictures with smells and make music with flavors. Combine the two, and you can tell a story.
What irks me about this though is that schools have no class for this- there's choir for the singers, band for the composers, and art for the artists. There's even a class for all of the struggling actors and actresses out there- but there is no class solely devoted to the art of cooking.
Yes, I acknowledge that there is Home Economics, but that is a 'home' class. There needs to be a class just for cooking.
Picture this- a high school student coming in from a bad day at school and that evening, is treated with their favorite meal of all times. What if there were a class that allowed students to learn the skills to cook, and replicate that moment whenever they wanted to.
So, tell me this, why isn't there a cooking class in schools.

Again, I got bored in EAST lab, and began thinking about food. Please rate and comment. Oh, and RESCUE THE ART OF COOKING

DawnMarie BRONZE, Milton, Florida

a bird doesn't sing because it has an answer,
it sings because it has a song. - lou holtz

TheWordSmith is right. Cooking can be pretty expensive when you think of all the aspects. You must have: rooms to cook in, refrigerators, cooking appliances, all the ingredients to make your meal, utensils, protective gear, the list goes on and on. 

Many schools simply don't have enough money to pay for all of this, and you need to consider this before posting your opinion. 

TheWordSmith SILVER, Placerville, California
In many past cultures, preparing food has been strictly a woman's job. Although many men cook nowadays, most (not all) teenage boys still have the preconceived notion that cooking, baking, and the like is for females only.

I guess I failed to overlook the money aspect. What I don't get though is why guys don't want to cook. The of profession of cooking is dominated mostly of men as it is.

Due to the economy and the government cutting money from schools, many schools cannot afford a basic art class, much less a specialized cooking class.

Also, the school boards might be afraid to invest in a cooking class, for fear there would be lack of interest. I can't imagine many boys wanting to learn to cook (too "girly" for them), and boys do make up a large percentage of a school.