Laziness is like Candy | Teen Ink

Laziness is like Candy

By melancholyflame GOLD, Hacienda Heights, California
melancholyflame GOLD, Hacienda Heights, California

"We should enjoy each moment of our existence, because everyday is the first day of the rest of our lives." --Melanie Y.

Laziness is like candy—it can be a strong motivation, but it has a bad reputation.
At some point in our lives, we have all experienced that need to just relax and be lazy. But just as we are about to sit back and enjoy our laziness, we remember that since childhood, almost every adult figure in our lives have warned us about the terrible sin of being lazy. We were taught at a young age that it’s a terrible thing to be lazy and that we should get up and go out into the world to do something useful—but honestly, no average person can say lazy days aren’t enjoyable.
Many grownups, including our parents, scold us for not being more proactive. However, what many people don’t realize is that most of the brilliant ideas in this world came from people who were lazy and wanted to create tools to minimize the amount of work used to accomplish different tasks.
Anybody can easily turn this ‘bad characteristic’ into a great advantage—and this is shown in some exceptional people today in our society.
There are lazy people everywhere, and this includes many of the famous individuals we see in today’s tabloids and in our history textbooks. People like Mark Zuckerberg became well-known for giving something to society as a result of laziness. After all, he was not able to keep track of all of his friends , so he created Facebook. However, modern people aren’t the only ones who invent new things for the sake of laziness. Even people in previous centuries felt lazy at some point or another and wanted to do something about it.
Back then, everyone used their own hands to wash the dishes. So, one day, Josephine Cochrane invented the dishwasher because she didn’t feel like washing dishes anymore. Since she couldn’t find a dishwasher anywhere, she built the very first functional one herself.
From the washer, dryer and typewriter to the smartphone and electronic tablet, all of these technological inventions have something in common. They are the results of people’s strong desire to not do things the ‘long way’ anymore.
Of course, this doesn’t mean that parents should encourage their children to be lazy, but laziness can be a useful motivation to push people into thinking of easier ways to help accomplish tasks we face in our everyday lives. Therefore, lazy people will invent ways to do things in faster and more efficient ways to do less work than what the average person would do.
If you can be lazy and use it to your advantage, it’s a great aspect to use for anything anywhere you go: classwork, homework, chores at home and many other aspects in our daily lives. For instance, someone may feel that homework isn’t something that students should do anymore. Just this simple, lazy thought could have the potential for the idea of inventing a solar-powered pen copy and pastes hand-written words.
Although many believe that laziness is a terrible quality to have, it can really be turned into a great benefit, as shown by people throughout history.

All I hope is for people to like my writing. ^.^

Haha thanks so much! I worked really hard on this article! ^.^

graciesings BRONZE, Colorado City, Colorado
I like this!  Well written.  I still believe in the values of hard work, but you are definitely right!   I would say that laziness is like candy because a lot of it is bad for you but a moderate amount can make life easier.