"I Believe" | Teen Ink

"I Believe"

October 15, 2013
By KaileyWend BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
KaileyWend BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“The Light”

I was jolted from my sleep by a crash downstairs and a shrilling scream that proceeded. Not a second passed before I was downstairs on the kitchen floor, holding onto my brother Richie as his body jerked back and forth from involuntary muscle contractions. The pillows of his bed had cushioned all of his previous seizures, but for the first time in 25 years, the hard and cold kitchen tile was all he had when his 190-pound body was thrown to the ground. Although his shaking went on for what felt like ages, everything happened quickly. My frantic mother— men in blue uniforms—sirens screaming—the stretcher—the lifting—the tears—all the fear. In all the chaos, I somehow drove myself to meet the ambulance at the hospital.

It was six months ago that this tragic event sent my whole family into a time of anxiety of what was to come for my autistic brother Richie. It was six months ago that the doctors diagnosed Richie’s injuries and their implications.

“…Ribs…several fractured…”






“…Fractured hip…needs surgery.”

“…Six months…recovery...learn to walk again…”





“…Fractured vertebrae…neck”

“…Hip surgery…ASAP”

I thought visiting Richie in the hospital that day would only cause a breakdown emotionally and physically, but Richie’s attitude turned the situation around. His warm and familiar smile greeted me as I walked into the hospital room. Despite his body that lay in shambles, Richie reassured me. “Don’t cry Kailey,” he said “I promise ill be okay. You’re a hot mess when you cry.”

His surgery was successful and the next six months consisted of physical therapies, doctor appointments, attempts at a first step and maybe a second, but mostly failed efforts. With each attempt to stand and walk, I saw the patience and determination in my brother’s eyes. At times the pain was unbearable for Richie, but he never gave up.

Through Richie, I have learned to have the same kind of patience and determination. Just like every person, I too have struggled trough situations regarding school, my family, and life in general. No matter what the situation is though, I truly believe in never giving up. I believe in fighting past pain and hard times. I believe there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. I believe that light is accessible, as long as I don’t give up. I believe in taking that first step regardless of how hard it may be. I believe that first step is the only way to take the second.

Richie’s belief in never giving up finally led to his recovery: reiterating to me the importance of perseverance. Six months after his surgery, on a Thursday night, the light at the end of the tunnel was brighter than ever, and Richie finally began to walk again.