A Theory on the War | Teen Ink

A Theory on the War MAG

By Anonymous

     Whether it’s Congressman John Murtha (D-PA) calling America the biggest threat to world peace, or Senator John Kerry (D-MA) claiming American troops are “... going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids ...,” I think the liberal left is destroying all chances of ever achieving peace in the Middle East.

Democrats see the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as dismal failures; they condemn Israel for being too harsh on Lebanon, and they truly think the United Nations will fix the problem with Iran (after all, they handled Rwanda, Darfur, the oil for food program, and every other project so well - yeah, right).

I think the left is so overwhelmed by their hatred for President George W. Bush that they don’t even realize what’s going on in the Middle East. All they read, see, and hear is CNN and The New York Times telling them Bush lied about weapons of mass destruction, there was no connection between al-Qaeda and Saddam Hussein, over 3,000 American troops are dead, a civil war is breaking out between the Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds, innocent civilians are dying, and Israel is overreacting. There is more despair, more horror, and no hope for peace.

For some reason, Democrats thought the war would last all of five minutes. We’d go into Iraq, take down the Iraqi Republican Guard, get Saddam, leave, and Iraq would magically stabilize. Unfortunately, we’re not living in Alice’s Wonderland. Bush acknowledged this wouldn’t be a quick and easy journey, but liberals ignored him, still thinking we’d be there and back before Christmas. The Revolutionary War took eight years, the Civil War took four, America was involved in World War II for three years, and the Korean War continued for three years with American soldiers still in South Korea today.

I think the main problem with liberals is that when things don’t go exactly right, they give up. President Bush said that the war in Iraq would take years and years, just as it has. But I guess the Democrats who voted for going into Iraq did not acknowledge Bush’s statements. “Cut and run” has become the ideal way to deal with the situation in their minds. If we just leave Iraq, everyone will get along. After that, we can sit down and talk with the terrorists and see if we can come to an agreement.

With all the talk from Democrats about how horrible the situation is in the Middle East, we hear no reasonable ideas from them. Their two ideas have been to pull out of Iraq and to have more negotiations. That’s just what we need! First, we’ll pull out of Iraq and let the terrorists overwhelm the country and convert it into a terrorist regime (maybe ol‘ Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran will take over). After leaving Iraq, we can have yet another talk with Iran. And we’ll need a few hundred more talks with Kim Jong-il. Or we could just try the Clinton approach and give them whatever they want. It’s not like they just tested a few long-range missiles along with a nuclear bomb. Oh, wait, that did happen!

Democrats don’t really want peace in the Middle East; they want a period of stability. Hey, liberals, the quote by Edmund Burke isn’t, “The only way for good to survive is for good men to do nothing,” it’s “The only way for evil to survive is for good men to do nothing.” Talking with those who want to wipe out our closest ally in the Middle East, Israel, negotiating with people who want to blow up innocent women and children to get to heaven, is doing nothing. True, talking may not hurt anyone, but it sure isn’t going to make things better. Exactly when has talking worked? Britain and France talking with Hitler? Nope. Talking with the Soviet Union? Nope. When has talking actually solved a problem?

In short, I believe Democrats are ruining all chance of peace in the Middle East. They undermine the war effort, they ignore facts about the true threat Saddam posed to the U.S. and the world, they think talking will solve things, and they think America is responsible for the terrorists attacking us. (Strange how Clinton’s approach of doing next to nothing didn’t slow down terrorism.) Sure, they’ll claim they want peace, but they’re not willing to take any steps. If it wasn’t for George W. Bush, we wouldn’t just have Iran and Syria to deal with as major threats, but we’d also have Iraq and possibly Afghanistan too. The Democrats have no sound plan for dealing with terrorism.