The Meaning of Marriage | Teen Ink

The Meaning of Marriage

By Nyala Allen BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Nyala Allen BRONZE, Sacramento, California

Recently, there have been a lot of issues with Same-Sex marriage and what benefit's you are subjected to. I however, beg to differ about who should be able to marry or not. Marriage has been cut up and reformed to what a certain group of people want it to look like but truly it has no image. I think marriage is when 2 people love each other and are committed to spending their whole lives together, despite the fact of what gender they are. Unfortunately, a large group all across America don’t believe in the same beliefs. Same-Sex marriage has been banned or considered to being banned in over 30 states.

In November of 2008, Proposition 8 was supported by 52% of American’s in California after the courts had already ruled that the thousands who were wed are valid. The BBC's Peter Bowes states, “We won the White House - but lost on an issue many believed had already been resolved by the courts.” The fight against these issues have been bitter and still no one has prevailed, making it frustrating for those who seek results. I am one of the many soldiers in this battle and I support the right of Same-Sex Marriage.

I typed this paper for my Health class for a project about the Public and Private "Me". My opinion was included in this but facts are also added so it was not all talk and no facts. I hope I can atleast help people understand why Same-Sex Marriage is such a big deal.

lizzymwrites GOLD, Miami, Florida

The only people for me are the mad ones... the ones who never yawn and say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders against the stars." - Jack Kerouac

EXACTLY. Thank you.

wordgirl92 said...
I fully agree with your editorial. Marriage is about love. It's not about religion, or gender, or making sure that a child has a mother and a father. It's about two people-any two people-wanting to spend the rest of their life together.

IRBFGW DIAMOND said...
IRBFGW DIAMOND, Cincinnati, Ohio

"Hey, assbutt!" Supernatural, Castiel.

I support same sex marriage, and I support this article 100%. Good job, and good arguments. and heres my responce to people who argue its against the Bible: The first Amendment states that we are not supposed to mix religon with politics. Sound familiar? so, even though I am a Christian, I think it is wrong for the goverment to argue that it is against the Bible when the founding fathers clearly state that religon is supposed to be seperated from politics. Not to mention, many things from he Bible have been updated. There is slavery in the Bible, slavery is illegal. Women are not equal to men in the Bible, we treat women equal. And I for one, do not think that God wants to keep two people who love each other from being married. thank you for writting this article.

maza.love GOLD said...
maza.love GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
First off, I must say that good for you for seeing past the stereotype.

Secondly, I have a response to read.like.roses:

If someone is atheist, are they entitled to the same rules? And, yes, you are being closed-minded, because you refuse to acknowledge the opinions of others and even consider them slightly because of your conservatively locked-up interpretation of the Bible. So, um, when in the Bible does it say, "Thou shalt not marry the same sex, lest thou shalt surely die"?

And to Color*My*World:

Very interesting opinion. Marriage is religious, yes. But because of the century, shouldn't it be redefined like our wonderful country was made?

biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Im really sorry, but i truly dont belive in this.I do like the argument though, it seems to be well thought out.I believe that marrige is between a man and a woman,not only for religous purposes, but so the if those two people of the same sex want to adopt a kid, that child is denied the right to have a mother and a father, both very different roles that can impact a child in different ways....anyway... thats my thought.

I highly disagree with you. Marriage is not whatever anybody wants it to be. It's what God made it to be. How do I know? I don't read God's mind: I read the Bible. Marriage is two people (male and female) becoming joined before God. And it is nothing less than that. An nothing more. I am not close-minded, I am simply right-minded and I believe that what you think is wrong.

Color*My*World BRONZE, Bellows Falls, Vermont
I really get this. It's not that I'm against people of the same sex being together I just don't like how people call it marriage. Marriage is supposed to be religious. I think people of the same sex should have all the rights of people who are married but maybe not call it that.. I really liked how you put this together though.