The Meaning of Marriage | Teen Ink

The Meaning of Marriage

April 7, 2009
By Nyala Allen BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Nyala Allen BRONZE, Sacramento, California
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Recently, there have been a lot of issues with Same-Sex marriage and what benefit's you are subjected to. I however, beg to differ about who should be able to marry or not. Marriage has been cut up and reformed to what a certain group of people want it to look like but truly it has no image. I think marriage is when 2 people love each other and are committed to spending their whole lives together, despite the fact of what gender they are. Unfortunately, a large group all across America don’t believe in the same beliefs. Same-Sex marriage has been banned or considered to being banned in over 30 states.

In November of 2008, Proposition 8 was supported by 52% of American’s in California after the courts had already ruled that the thousands who were wed are valid. The BBC's Peter Bowes states, “We won the White House - but lost on an issue many believed had already been resolved by the courts.” The fight against these issues have been bitter and still no one has prevailed, making it frustrating for those who seek results. I am one of the many soldiers in this battle and I support the right of Same-Sex Marriage.


The author's comments:
I typed this paper for my Health class for a project about the Public and Private "Me". My opinion was included in this but facts are also added so it was not all talk and no facts. I hope I can atleast help people understand why Same-Sex Marriage is such a big deal.