Gun Rights vs. Mental Illness | Teen Ink

Gun Rights vs. Mental Illness

May 8, 2019
By Anonymous

Gun violence is an issue that affects people all over the world. For years, there has been a controversy about the rights to own a gun. It is critical that the United States evaluates its gun legislation in order to decrease gun violence. Starting in 1791, The Second Amendment was made for people to have the right to bear arms and it allowed individuals to have the ability to protect themselves in case of invasion or war. Over the course of the last century, several gun laws have been made. The Federal Firearms Act of 1938; required people to have a license that were selling guns and record the names and addresses of the buyers. Another important law, The Fire Owners Protection Act in 1986, eased restrictions on the sale of guns. Even after the 1986 law, people are still getting ahold of guns and are using them as a way to kill others. School shootings, mass murders, and violent crimes constantly coming up on the news is driving a new force for adults to protect people in the United States. As the leading people in the country, adults need to help the government evaluate its gun regulations.

While gun violence is mentioned often, the mixing of guns and mental illness is not a common topic throughout social media. Many occasions involving gun violence have been associated with people who have mental illnesses. Behind the acts of many events, such as Sandy Hook and Columbine, are examples of people with mental disorders, like Antisocial and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The United States legislative process is to blame for not having stricter gun regulations for people with mental illnesses. An investigation of the legislative process and mental illness reveals that gun violence is more likely to occur when mentally ill people have access to guns, because gun violence is often learned, there is a correlation between guns and suicide, and poverty, due to the lack of police response in poor communities.  

Adults must stay involved with gun regulations in order to ensure the safety of people of all ages in the United States. Gun violence and legislation has been a controversy over the last 50 years due to numerous political and social events happening in the United States. Recent events, such as the Sandy Hook Elementary School, Orlando Nightclub, and the Las Vegas shootings have raised awareness and opinions throughout people’s everyday lives. Adults need to have a better understanding of gun violence based off of the country’s gun regulations in order to address stricter laws. Today, walkouts, petitions, and voting is a significant part of people’s lives and with additional knowledge on gun violence, people can petition for gun laws that will protect individuals in the United States. In the article, “Mixing Guns and Mental Illness”, Michael Luo claims that, across the country, people who lost their firearm due to a mental illness are possessing the rights to petition to have their guns back. After many procedures and examinations, the process for making that decision is administered by vague standards and requirements. Luo points out that vague state standards that deal with people with mental illnesses and gun regulations do not necessarily protect people. Moreover, gun regulations do not specify how to determine if people with mental illnesses are capable of owning a gun (Luo). Luo further develops his opinion by discussing how information is valuable in making the decision of owning a gun. For example, Larry Lamb, was a Vietnam veteran from San Diego who suffered from depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. He lost his gun rights and his cache of weapons in 2006 when he was involuntarily hospitalized after his dog's death leaving him suicidal. The author states, “But the judge, without access to Mr. Lamb's full medical history, was unaware of a crucial fact: the local Veterans Affairs hospital had placed a "red flag" on Mr. Lamb, barring him from the hospital grounds because he was perceived to be a threat to personnel there” (17). The writer justifies that more information is needed to make a legitimate decision about people with mental illnesses owning a gun and the jury needs all medical and past information about the subject. Stricter gun regulations would provide the opportunity for people with mental illnesses to be further examined before owning a gun. These regulations on people with mental illnesses would lead to the safety of everyone as a result of more information and rules.

Due to the lack of regulatory action, gun violence is correlated with suicides and homicides. Different types of research have been done to indicate how having a gun changes the way people behave. In her article, “Does Owning a Gun Change Your Behavior?”, Becky Striepe argues that research indicates owning a gun or seeing one changes how people behave. Striepe reveals that, people that own a gun in their home are “more likely to commit suicide” because it is an impulsive action. Other actions, such as taking pills can take a longer time to make the decision of ending a life (Striepe). Owning a gun reveals that it is more likely for someone to commit suicide due to impulse actions. Increasing gun regulations will save people’s lives due to the fact that anyone cannot just own a gun. Striepe further develops her assertion that homicides are due to a change in behavior. According to the author, homicides aren’t planned and people fighting with each other can turn into a tragedy (Striepe). Adding guns to the mix creates a greater chance that violence will be used and generates a dangerous situation. Gun regulations can save people from making the decision to harm others on impulse actions. Keeping guns away from people can resolve dangerous situations. Due to the presence of guns, violence including homicides and suicides are more likely to occur.

Adolescents are likely to turn to guns by cause of learned violence. In particular, there is growing empirical evidence that social and cultural forces influence whether or not an individual turns to armed violence. In the article, “Young Guns”, Dariusz Dziewanski reveals that there is growing evidence that social and cultural forces influence when a young individual turns to armed violence. Dziewanski explains that the culture in Canada is telling adolescents that violence is ok and youths are prone to gun violence, which increases the chances of them identifying themselves with guns. In addition, films reveal a gateway to success that teens believe they should associate themselves with (Dziewanski). The author argues that in Canada, culture is influencing young adults to use gun violence from music, video games, and film. Adolescents believe that they need to own a gun in order to have a sense of empowerment. Dziewanski further discloses that adolescents are more likely to turn to gun violence. “Youth are not inherently violent, but are often marginalized and scared. In neighborhoods with violence, youth often feel threatened, even by police. That's when they turn to guns” (3). The author reveals that the mix of violence and poverty makes people feel vulnerable to others. When people feel threatened, they often turn to guns to feel protected. The mix of violence and poverty makes people feel vulnerable to others. When people feel threatened, they often turn to guns to feel protected. Many people living in poverty encounter mental illnesses and should not own a gun. The legislative process should be strict, where individuals do not have easy access to guns. The lack of gun legislation had led adolescents to turn to gun violence.

The absence of gun regulations creates a target towards other races and an increase of attention on criminals. Poverty, stereotypical viewpoints, and criminals make decisions based off gun regulations difficult. In the article, “Fewer Guns, Less Homicide?”, Robert VerBruggen argues that preventing gun violence is a difficult and complicated task. The author declares that as a minority, and target for racism, black people have a “higher” risk for killing other people (VerBruggen). Race is a significant factor in determining the greatest chances of homicide. The lack of government protection for black US citizens has lead people to be more violent. Having stringent gun regulations in the US will minimize racism towards black people and homicides because the laws apply to people of all races. VerBruggen further explains how criminals create a challenge for citizens in the United States. The author unveils that background checks are supported by all individuals to install a safer criminal network and they would be made to stop guns from deflecting into the criminal market (VerBruggen). A background check is a valuable tool to have in order to decline the gun rates in criminal violence with gun regulations, gun violence will decline as well. With further legislation, the risk for homicide will lower, decreasing tragedies from gun violence.

Though mentally ill people are blamed for the increase in gun violence, they are not harmful towards other people. Mentally ill people are often a target for the reason of gun violence because they appear to be violent. In the article, “Stop Blaming Mental Illness For Mass Shootings”, Dylan Matthew argues that people with mental illness are people, and the vast majority aren’t any more of a risk than anyone else. Matthews points out that people with mental illnesses are at the same risk for gun violence as someone who does not have an illness. The risk is not much higher for mentally ill patients with severe disorders than it is for someone who is mentally ill (Matthew). More gun regulations for the mentally ill is unnecessary because people with mental illnesses are not at a higher risk for gun violence than other people because most are not violent. However, in her article, “The Role of Mental Illness in Mass Shootings, Suicides”, Amy swearer claims that individuals with serious mental illness are at a greater risk of committing suicide and are responsible for a disproportionate number of mass public killings. The author believes the reduction of suicide rates requires a comprehensive approach that addresses all of the various factors related to suicide risk, including mental illness, socioeconomic variations, and access to a support system. The author states, “The most significant link between mental illness and firearm-related violence is suicide, which accounts for almost two-thirds of all annual firearm-related deaths in the United States” (18). The presence of a mental illness is highly correlated to suicide and the easy access to a firearm increases the risk for someone to end their life. Therefore, additional gun regulations for the mentally ill are essential for protecting people’s lives in the US. Even though many people with mental illnesses are not violent, they account for many suicides and are correlated to numerous gun violence deaths.

Almost every week, I watch a story about a shooting on the news. Every time, I am left wanting to find a solution to these tragedies. Learning more about the legislative process and gun regulations has taught me that an adolescent can make a difference in the world. Teaching other students about the harmful effects and consequences of gun violence is important for them to have a foundation at a young age. At school, I often worry that a shooting could occur. Even though Danville, California is a safe city, such an event can happen at anytime. Adolescents often come off as ignorant when discussing the topic of gun violence because they have only seen stories highlighted on the news or hear their parents´ opinions. Schools should incorporate learning about gun violence in their curriculum for students to form their own opinions and make safer decisions when their older. Having more knowledge on a deadly topic is vital for students to be able to thrive as adults.

An exploration of the legislative process and mental illness reveals that gun violence is more likely to occur when mentally ill people have access to guns, because gun violence is often learned, there is a correlation between guns and suicide, and poverty, due to the lack of police response in poor communities. The United States government needs to evaluate its legislative process due to the lack of stricter gun regulations. In order to ensure the safety of everyone, adults must push the government for more regulations.


The author's comments:

I'm a Junior in High School in California. This topic is very interesting to me and I hope you enjoy!