We Don’t Need a Space Force | Teen Ink

We Don’t Need a Space Force

By EthanAC GOLD, Jericho, New York
EthanAC GOLD, Jericho, New York

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. - Colin Powell

Space is one of the final non-militarized frontiers. With new technologies sprouting based in space, America finds its space dominance increasingly harder to maintain as foreign nations begin to launch competing for space programs. While the militarization of space is inevitable, new information has shown that the Space Force is just another unnecessary bureaucratic layer of aerospace organizations.

A military organization should always be secondary to the need to deal with a threat. Because the aerial and space combat can be better facilitated without a strict line dividing atmospheric from space warfare, there is no need to have both the US Air Force and the Space Force operate separately while maintaining the same commander. The Space Force is an unnecessary addition to the various government space organizations including NASA, NOAA, and NRO. Government spending will only increase as politicians call for more funding to the new Space Force at the expense of social welfare programs. Many generals have already warned against the creation of another bureaucratic hurdle, which politicians do not seem to understand. The Air Force has spearheaded America’s space command for over half a century, so there is no reason a fully functional organization should be dismantled in favor of a new, untested organization. Without this divide, space and atmospheric warfare can be better integrated as new developments are happening in both fields, making integration necessary as multirole space and atmospheric combat fighters begin to be developed.

The Space Force is unorganized and does not have a proper function in the US military. Currently, there are a limited number of staffing opportunities due to the inherently limited function of space warfare in the modern world. There are no countries militarizing space as much as the United States is. The weapons used in land warfare do not exist in space and there are no weapons that Space Force members can use to fight. The current functions of the Space Force will encompass the satellite defense functions which the Air Force Space Command used to operate. However, because space doctrine is not developed, space warfare is purely hypothetical at this point.

Even though space warfare is inevitable, a Space Force is not needed as it only creates more problems. America does not need to further complicate the already oversized bureaucracy which destroys our lethality and leads to unnecessary budget increases. The Space Force presents an inefficient and wasteful method to increase the size of the Army, Air Force, and Navy bureaucracy.