The erratic bomb buried under Artsakh --- The clear solution to the conflicts between Armenia and Azerbaijan | Teen Ink

The erratic bomb buried under Artsakh --- The clear solution to the conflicts between Armenia and Azerbaijan

July 15, 2022
By WM BRONZE, Shanghai, Other
WM BRONZE, Shanghai, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the summer of 2020, the misery of Armenians was exacerbated beyond COVID-19. Armenian troops suffered a losing streak on the battlefields of Nagorno-Karabakh (also called Artsakh); a region home to both Azeris and Armenians and under de facto Armenian control. After the war ended with an Azeri victory, international focus shifted from the COVID-19 to Nagorno-Karabakh under fire. It is surprising that there’s religious and ethnic disharmony between Armenia and Azerbaijan in the pluralistic era of 21st century.

Many categorically believe that this disastrous conflict stems from a history of religious and ethnic differences between the Christian Armenians and the Muslim Azeris that has become the origin of a long-term vendetta. But we cannot simply account for this war by appealing to religious and ethnic differences; Tsarist Russia, Britain, and the Soviet Union are the real culprits since their ineffective governance sowed the seeds of turmoil throughout Nagorno-Karabakh from the 19th to 20th centuries.

 Such a volatile region has been poorly managed by the Russians since the 19th century under the reign of the Romanov Dynasty. After the collapse of the Russian Empire, the British nominated Sultanov, an Azerbaijani, to manage Karabakh. Aiming to expand their influence in Caucasus, they ignored Armenians’ reluctance to be ruled by foreigners, especially after the Armenian Genocide. Soviet Union’s disposed the Karabakh situation worse and the influence of the mismanagement lasts hitherto, as the New York Times Editorial Board explained “The conflict dates to the Soviet partitioning of its empire in 1923, which left Nagorno-Karabakh and its largely Christian Armenian population inside largely Muslim Azerbaijan.”[1]

                  It is never peaceful when you lock two lions who want to be king into the same cage. This has been true of Azeris and Armenians for hundreds of years in Nagorno-Karabakh. Tsarist Russia, the British and the Soviet Union initially all had chances to separate Armenians and Azerbaijanis by abolishing the former administration model and establishing a new one which would separate the two antagonistic ethnicities and demarcate them within their own home. Yet no one succeeded in acting for the sake of regional political stability. Arsene Sarapov, a historian of Central Asia, writes, “Each of these actors pursued its own goals but usually possessed insufficient resources to impose its will in an unconditional manner.”[2] Those ‘Great Powers’ repaired nothing and only pursued their own profits: geopolitical merits such as plentiful oilfields in Azerbaijan, maritime domains along the Black Sea, and a harmonious relationship with the Turks. They avoided drastic reformations of territories that could’ve irritated the volatile nationalistic atmosphere.

When the third parties withdrew their power projections from the Transcaucasus in the late 20th century, Nagorno-Karabakh became chaotized. It is still in turmoil today partly due to the lack of alternatives of how to delineate the new borders and distribute properties. This has led to subsequent disputes and fights between Azeris and Armenians, such as the First and the Second Nagorno-Karabakh War. Consequently, the third parties’ influences are profound and critical underneath this controversy.

The crux of the conflicts in Nagorno-Karabakh is a long-term ethnic hatred. The conflict has been painted as a religious war between Muslims and Christians, but Jo Laycock portrayed the war nationalistically since “the Turkish government’s support to Azerbaijan during the current war heightened the connection between these events and the Armenian Genocide”[3]. However, the fierce religionism and nationalism are not impossible to be alleviated. What the Nagorno-Karabakh issue really needs is a truly responsible international community to create positive structure and procedures for defusing the internecine conflicts and hatred, not undying round table negotiations with no progress.

Kosovo is one of the most expedient templates that the international community could emulate to solve the dilemma in Artsakh. Kosovo also experienced a long-time bloody, unfeeling, and mutinous insurrections with the Albanian Muslims and the Catholic Slavs. But after the Kosovo War,  Kosovo's independence followed as did interventions from the United Nations and NATO. This ensured a new administrative mechanism and that foreign interventions were erected to create a new peace-making system. In the current century, Kosovo is  under a time of peaceful reconstruction with the help of international interventions and perfect autonomy.

Despite the fact that tsarist Russia, the British Empire, and the Soviet Union failed in mitigating the Nagorno-Karabakh conflicts, international community endeavors are still needed today. Besides the UN's peacekeeping forces, international organizations which concern youths such as the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) can also play pivotal roles. Amicable and respectful interactions between both Armenian and Azerbaijan individuals are the key to eliminating discontent, discrimination, and stereotypes between each other. Representing the possibility of the future, the younger generation of these two nations is believed to be the cornerstone of creating an interactive atmosphere in transcaucasus where frequent exchange of culture and communication is expected to be normalized and fluid. The international community could sponsor and establish institutions such as the Azerbaijani youth organization LeftEast and Children of Armenia Fund to promote interactivity and facilitate more profound and comprehensive communication within each generation.

                  Although it is sagacious to allow for the influence of the international community, a revolutionary ethnic autonomy (Achieving Artsakh independent or annexed by Armenia), which Russia and Turkey could hold accountability for, is still imperative. An autonomic administration could thaw the direct tensions between the Armenians and Azeris, and Russia-Turkey interference could restrain the conflicts when in an outbreak. This is a hopeful solution, especially after the positive results of the Russia-Turkey partnership in Syria.[4] Carrying this point of hope into the present, a even brighter future of Artsakh seems to be on the horizon as the Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu and his Armenian counterpart Ararat Mirzoyan met for the first official sit-down talks since 2009 in March 2022, agreeing to form formal diplomatic relationship and maintain the transcaucasian stability.



[1] The Editorial Board, ( Oct.8.2020), The Trouble in the South Caucasus Extends Far Beyond One Small Enclave---Hundreds of people have already died in the fighting between Azerbaijan and Armenia. Bigger neighbors can help stop the bloodshed, (New York Times), 43-45
[2] Arsene Sarapov, (2015) From Conflict to Autonomy in the Caucasus---The Soviet Union and the making of Abkhazia, South Ossetia and Nagorno Karabakh, (Routledge), 122
[3] Jo Laycock, (Oct.8.2020), Nagorno-Karabakh’s Myth of Ancient Hatreds---The Nagorno-Karabakh dispute between Armenia and Azerbaijan is sometimes explained as a result of ‘ancient hatreds’. In reality, it is nothing of the sort, despite both sides using history to bolster their claims to the region, (History Today)

[4]  Daria Isachenko, (Nov.11.2020), Turkey–Russia Partnership in the War over Nagorno-Karabakh---Militarised Peacebuilding with Implications for Conflict Transformation, (Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik)


The author's comments:

This editorial opinion explores the hidden origins of the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh War by tracing the history of the border disposition between Armenia and Azerbaijan. Moreover, This passage investigates the reasons for the outbreak of this terrible conflict via historical, religious, and ethnic perspectives, which finally assist the author in locating the parties that should be responsible for this war. Subsequently, this opinion proposes a possible peaceful solution to the post-war settlement with the help of the lens based on the case of Kosovo. This proposal is approachable and diverse since it is no longer dependent on the leadership exclusively; the general public and future generations should also strive for peace.