What the United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What the United States Flag Stands For

By Yayah GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Yayah GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

High in the sky, the flag billows with the wind. As it moves to and fro, the sunlight streaming downward now glints off the morning dew that is always present in November. 

The US flag represents all of those under its banner, regardless of their wealth, ethnicity, and sex; all are welcome and wanted within the land of America. Individuals all across the land are given basic rights, something many were unable to even comprehend in their previous countries; and as such, it leaves them with hope, and a desire to rise above their past and continue forward. 

We, as a country, have no right to deny people that only wish for better lives because of our own ignorance. Children and adults alike go through countless trials and tribulations, untold bloodshed that is rarely ever documented, and starvation, all to simply get a glimpse of a home. The hope that they gain will stop at nothing until it is either beaten out of them, or they achieve their dream.  

To be able to stand underneath the American flag is a privilege that we often overlook, and as such we fail to see those who want nothing more than to simply stand with us.