Law enforcement and the community | Teen Ink

Law enforcement and the community

By niralimammen GOLD, Warren, New Jersey
niralimammen GOLD, Warren, New Jersey

One of the topics less focused on in criminal justice has always been how the people themselves react to engagements with law enforcement. Often a mysterious, unfamiliar group, the police are not always the people we feel most comfortable with — yet they are supposed to be the ones dedicated to our safety.

When getting pulled over for a simple driving offense, there is a diverse set of reactions. These depend on gender, skin color, and many other factors which dictate the level of comfort and security one truly has with the police.

Black people are the first to feel worried for their safety, as their relationship with law enforcement in America has been repeatedly ignored and rarely upheld when it comes to issues of safety.

Police brutality plagues this country — the abuse of power which is meant to be saving American lives, is often used as a weapon. It vilifies people based on skin color, then hurts them while still within the uniform.

For many, this uniform has now become a source of fear, rather than one to be revered.

When talking about police brutality, many privileged Americans do not feel the need to interject and make themselves concerned with such an issue, especially if their individual safety is not at risk.

However, police brutality relates back to the larger issue of community policing — rectifying issues concerning the relationship between people and law enforcement is an issue concerning everybody.

Close relations between the community and those designated as their protectors are especially important, as a good relationship allows for transparency. Transparency allows for an increase in communication, and thus, increased safety.

If these relationships are truly prioritized, people will feel comfortable enough to rely on the police for help, inform them when something is happening, and have an better sense of security in their community.

It is a much more multi-faceted issue that cannot be explored in a single blog post, but simply making it a goal to work towards these relationships is essential to the productive functioning and efficiency of law enforcement.

People should always feel safest with those that carry the gun and badge.