Crackdown on Guns | Teen Ink

Crackdown on Guns

April 20, 2010
By dman58 BRONZE, Stony Brook, New York
dman58 BRONZE, Stony Brook, New York
1 article 0 photos 6 comments

Guns have been used for self-defense and recreational purposes in the United States ever since the arrival of the European settlers. Guns have also been recently involved in crime throughout the United States. This directly results in the murder of civilians because guns end up in the hands of irresponsible individuals and result in these casualties such as the instance in Virginia Tech. The case of the Virginia Tech shooting was one where a student who was presented as “In imminent danger to himself due to mental illness” after being evaluated in a mental hospital purchased two pistols and killed 32 people. To prevent tragedies such as the Virginia tech shooting from happening again, there needs to be stronger gun control laws throughout the United States. Stronger gun control laws would result in the prevention in illegal transactions, the promotion of a stronger background check system and the increase of the safety of the citizens of the United States.
Stronger gun control laws would result in the prevention of illegal transaction by causing the prevention of variability in gun shows, the prevention of unlicensed dealers exchanging guns, and unlicensed sellers may not perform background checks, resulting in guns getting the hands of criminals. Mayor Bloomberg analyzed three gun shows between May and August of 2009. During this time, 19 of 30 of gun vendors interviewed
by an investigator were barred from having legal possession of the guns that they were currently selling and16 of 17 different gun vendors sold to straw buyers, buyers who then gave their guns to people who were not legally eligible to buy a gun, a federal offense.
This is known as the gun show loophole which results in people purchasing guns without receiving background checks. ("Targeting Gun Shows.") These unlicensed guns could end up in the hands of criminals and other irresponsible individuals and present a major risk to the citizens of the United States by causing gun related crimes with illegally purchased guns. By closing the gun show loophole, illegal transactions would be prevented and far fewer guns would end up in the hands of people who are legally ineligible to have possession of guns.
Stronger gun control laws would promote a stronger background check system which would result in shootings such as the case in Virginia tech being prevented, mental health being taken into account and guns being less available to minorities. Current gun control laws do not allow individuals who had been sentenced to or convicted for more than one year of prison, fugitives, drug addicts, mentally defective or insane people, non-citizens, those dishonorably discharged from the military, individuals restrained by court order for threatening the safety of their partner and individuals who caused a domestic disturbance. The FBI or the state is legally required to perform a background check on any individual purchasing a gun during a 5 day waiting period which allows the FBI to check for any disqualifications for the right to purchase a gun. There are cases though that people that are unqualified do receive weapons such as the gunman who caused the Virginia tech shootings because mental health records are not often submitted. This caused the deadly shooting at Virginia tech. and could have been prevented if mental health was taken into account. Because of a stronger background check system, there would be more control over the exchange of guns throughout the United States, resulting in guns being less accessible. ("Gun Background Checks.")
Stronger gun control laws would increase the security of the citizens of the United States by keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and mentally unstable people, prevents the trafficking of illegal guns and Guns would end up in the hands of minorities in less instances. Gun crime is frequent in the United States and this has caused a massive death toll due to gun related crimes. Gun related crimes are more prominent in the US than other countries such as England. With all of the handguns in the United States estimating 50-70 million as of 2003, it is easy for there to be illegal trafficking of these lethal and concealable weapons. With a decrease of the amount of these weapons available due to an increase in the amount of gun control laws and with the prevention of illegal transaction and trafficking, there would be a reduced threat of gun violence throughout the United States. (Hartwood, Gun Control-Opposing viewpoints) Another is the impact of guns on minors, adolescents and young adults. The Columbine shooting was tragic and it shows that society has a very powerful influence on kids and young adults because of the rise of the first person shooter. A kid could be so enraged and depressed that he becomes berserk, grabs a gun and causes a massacre just as the kids in the Columbine shooting and the student at Virginia tech had which resulted in the deaths of dozens of people. To counteract these incidents, parents need to be aware of what actions their children are partaking in and how it is affecting them which would reduce the amount of tragedies that occur. (Tucker. Gun Control-Opposing viewpoints)

Overall, guns need to be controlled when they are in the hands of people to prevent the illegal exchange of guns by using a stronger background check system which would reduce the amount of violence each year in the United States in order to protect the lives of citizens. With stronger gun control laws which promote the following causes, the United States would be in a much better state than it would be without the implementation of stronger gun control laws.

Works Cited

Hartwood, Richard, and Cynthia Tucker. Gun Control-Opposing viewpoints. N.p.:

Bonnie, 2003. Print. edited by Helen Conthran
Issues and Controversies. "Gun Background Checks." Facts.com Issues and

Controversies. N.p., 11 May 2007. Web. 21 Mar. 2010.
<http://2facts.es.vrc.schoolaid.net/>.
Los Angles Times. "Targeting Gun Shows." Los Angles Times 16 Oct. 2009: A.30.

SIRS Researcher. Web. 30 Mar. 2010.
<http://sks.sirs.es.vrc.schoolaid.net/>.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 9 comments.


dman58 BRONZE said...
on May. 18 2010 at 12:54 am
dman58 BRONZE, Stony Brook, New York
1 article 0 photos 6 comments
I just want to clarify something. In my opinion, Gun Control laws should be used to control the exchange of guns so that responsible citizens have guns instead of criminals and mentally unstable people, not to ban them all together. I am actually in opposition to a straight-forward ban because it would not allow responsible citizens to protect themselves and others and it would not directly affect the amount of criminals who have possession of guns. By enhancing and enforcing the regulations and requirements to purchase and own a gun more efficiently, guns would be more likely to end up in the hands of someone who is responsible enough to use a gun to defend themselves and others.

on May. 16 2010 at 4:51 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

If the students or teachers at both Virginia Tech and Columbine had  guns, they could have prevented the shooters from killing as many people as they did.  In 1966, when a sniper was shooting at people from the University of Texas Tower, he was prevented from racking up a higher body count by normal, everyday, Texans, who ran home, grabbed their rifles, and started shooting at him.  The sniper was pinned down and couldn't do as much damage.  Gun control laws just hurt law abiding citizens and help criminals.  Think about it, if you wanted to go on a shooting spree, would you go where you knew everyone was carrying a gun, or a place with a handgun ban?

on May. 16 2010 at 4:46 pm
TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

The fact that you are on your way to becoming a black belt means nothing.  you can defend yourself in hand-to-hand combat, but if your attacker was armed, your martial arts skills wouldn't help much.  Also, here is proof that gun control raises crime rates. In 1996, a man shot and killed 16 children and their at a primary school in England.  Afterwards, England instituted a handgun ban.  Over two years following England's handgun ban, the use of handguns in crimes rose 40 percent.

dman58 BRONZE said...
on May. 13 2010 at 4:36 pm
dman58 BRONZE, Stony Brook, New York
1 article 0 photos 6 comments
The FBI and NICS determine if a person is eligible to own a gun through a background check before a gun is purchased.

dman58 BRONZE said...
on May. 13 2010 at 4:34 pm
dman58 BRONZE, Stony Brook, New York
1 article 0 photos 6 comments

typo sorry

 


dman58 BRONZE said...
on May. 13 2010 at 4:26 pm
dman58 BRONZE, Stony Brook, New York
1 article 0 photos 6 comments

What I am trying to say is rather than have guns in criminal's hands, take those guns and place them in the hands of responsible individuals and licensed gun dealers. This can be done through law enforcement by taking the guns that were previously in the hands of criminals unless it could be used as evidence and give the guns to a licensed dealer so guns are not only more likely to end up in the hands of responsible citizens but guns would also be less likely to end up in the hands of criminals. 

Also, guns should be in the hands of people who are fully able to defend themselves and others with a low risk of causing intentional harm towards another unless fully necessary. This excludes people who have been sent to or are convicted of 1 year or more of prison, those convicted of domestic abuse, those who are a mental health risk towards others, those who are under the age of 18 for a long gun, etc. 

Otherwise, any responsible individual is legally eligible buy a gun. I on the other hand do not necessarily need a gun because I have 11 years of martial arts experience and on the verge of becoming a black belt.

Please, send me those studies soon.


on May. 6 2010 at 9:54 am
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California
0 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

If there was stronger gun control, there would have been someone who could defend themselves? What is your logic there?

Also, who  should be eligible to own guns? Who would decide? The government?

PS ill get you those studies. :)


dman58 BRONZE said...
on May. 5 2010 at 9:40 pm
dman58 BRONZE, Stony Brook, New York
1 article 0 photos 6 comments
Please don't try to not generalize because generalizations are either biased or misleaded. Show me which studies and send me links to the sites which contain these sources to prove that weaker gun control laws would result in increased security. I fully support the idea that a responsible individual has the right to have possession of a gun. I do not tolerate people ineligibly receiving guns and using those guns for criminal activities so there needs to be stronger gun control laws that allow guns to be in the hands of responsible citizens, not criminals and mentally unstable people. And referring back to the Virginia tech shooting, if there were stronger gun control that still protected a citizen's rights to possess a gun, not only would there have been a much lower chance for the gunman to get his hands on a gun in the first place, but even if he did, there would be responsible individuals who would know how to defend themselves. 

on May. 4 2010 at 10:43 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California
0 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

If we have gun control laws, do you think that will stop criminals? They are criminal because they break the law! So the only ones without guns will be law abiding citizens. I'm completely against gun control. We need guns to protect ourselves. Think, if someone at Virginia Tech had had a gun they could have killed the guy and saved many lives. pretty much all the studies show that gun control makes crime go up and it doesn't keep guns out of criminals' hands.