A Call For An End | Teen Ink

A Call For An End

May 15, 2010
By the_sky_is_blue GOLD, Reno, Nevada
the_sky_is_blue GOLD, Reno, Nevada
14 articles 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Become the change you want to see"-Mahatma Gandhi


The world is chaos. Bullets screaming past your ears, the smell of burning flesh in your nostrils, the cries of the wounded and dying as they call out for their mother and blood and body parts are all around like a deck of cards that have been dropped. This is war. Beautiful, isn’t it? That one human could possibly end another’s life is appalling, yet mesmerizing. It’s sickening, yet awe inspiring. Most of all, it is the epitome of evil. War may be necessary in certain circumstances; however, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have lost all meaning. Our men put their lives on the line every single day for the U.S., but for what? If a country is going to fight, it needs to be for a just cause. For instance, World War Two was fought to stop a megalomaniac from completely conquering Europe and destroying a group of people. The United States entered the war because of Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor. World War Two was a war that was fought by the United States in order to protect the freedom of its citizens.




In Afghanistan and Iraq, our cause is a lost one. Instead of fighting for the freedom of our citizens, we are fighting to somehow give freedom to their citizens. Our men are dying for their people, not ours. How have the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan made our lives any safer? Just a few days ago there was a failed terrorist attack in Times Square. If the terrorists want to attack the U.S., they will find a way regardless of if we are fighting two wars or not. These wars need to be ended. However, there is a problem: the politicians seem to never want the wars to end. Granted, the U.S. is almost out of Iraq, but we are planning to send 30,000 more troops into Afghanistan. This is absurd! What ever happened to democracy? What ever happened to politicians actually representing the people? If Obama and his buddies truly represented the citizens of the United States, we would have been out of both wars a long time ago. In a recent poll it was shown that 55% of Americans oppose the war in Afghanistan and 60% oppose the war in Iraq. The only power that the government has is that which we the people give it. Obama needs to fulfill his promises that he made during his campaigning to get us out of the war. He said six more months in Iraq in a live national debate. It has been far more than six months now. No more blood for foreign people’s freedom and oil. No more war. Let us, the citizens of the United States, call for an end and if they do not listen, let us destroy them.