A Call For An End | Teen Ink

A Call For An End

By the_sky_is_blue GOLD, Reno, Nevada
the_sky_is_blue GOLD, Reno, Nevada

"Become the change you want to see"-Mahatma Gandhi

The world is chaos. Bullets screaming past your ears, the smell of burning flesh in your nostrils, the cries of the wounded and dying as they call out for their mother and blood and body parts are all around like a deck of cards that have been dropped. This is war. Beautiful, isn’t it? That one human could possibly end another’s life is appalling, yet mesmerizing. It’s sickening, yet awe inspiring. Most of all, it is the epitome of evil. War may be necessary in certain circumstances; however, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have lost all meaning. Our men put their lives on the line every single day for the U.S., but for what? If a country is going to fight, it needs to be for a just cause. For instance, World War Two was fought to stop a megalomaniac from completely conquering Europe and destroying a group of people. The United States entered the war because of Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor. World War Two was a war that was fought by the United States in order to protect the freedom of its citizens.

In Afghanistan and Iraq, our cause is a lost one. Instead of fighting for the freedom of our citizens, we are fighting to somehow give freedom to their citizens. Our men are dying for their people, not ours. How have the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan made our lives any safer? Just a few days ago there was a failed terrorist attack in Times Square. If the terrorists want to attack the U.S., they will find a way regardless of if we are fighting two wars or not. These wars need to be ended. However, there is a problem: the politicians seem to never want the wars to end. Granted, the U.S. is almost out of Iraq, but we are planning to send 30,000 more troops into Afghanistan. This is absurd! What ever happened to democracy? What ever happened to politicians actually representing the people? If Obama and his buddies truly represented the citizens of the United States, we would have been out of both wars a long time ago. In a recent poll it was shown that 55% of Americans oppose the war in Afghanistan and 60% oppose the war in Iraq. The only power that the government has is that which we the people give it. Obama needs to fulfill his promises that he made during his campaigning to get us out of the war. He said six more months in Iraq in a live national debate. It has been far more than six months now. No more blood for foreign people’s freedom and oil. No more war. Let us, the citizens of the United States, call for an end and if they do not listen, let us destroy them.

A_Fate_Unknown BRONZE, Enumclaw, Washington

Those who make peacefull revolution impossible, Will make violent Revolution inevitable.

hahaha misplaced. you think americans fight for freedom? we are fighting for oil pure and simple. we have no claim over it so were gonna take it by force.

thats the problem these days is that no one knows right from wrong.

MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

But we pledged to help these people. Americans keep their promises (well, most of us. Its sad our president doesn't) and we have an obligation to protect these people. Americans fight for freedom. Freedom for all.

MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

yeah, problems like terrorists trying to kill us and a practically open border that would let them just walk across. (Oh, and once they're here, they'd be free from all discrimination or laws)

the_sky_is_blue GOLD, Reno, Nevada

You can find it at pollingreport.c.om.  Sorry, it wouldn't let me put the site actually spelled right.  As for the war ending like the Vietnam war, is there any other choice?  Once again we underestimated our opponent and once again we will not be able to win becuase it is impossible to defeat an enemy you cannot see or recongize, regardless of one's military power.  Don't get me wrong, I support our troops entirely BECAUSE they put their lives on the line everyday for our country.  However, I do not support two wars that are fighting for foreign people's freedom when we are losing our freedom here in the U.S.  We have enough problems to deal with here first. 

the_sky_is_blue GOLD, Reno, Nevada

You can find it on polling report.com or any other major polling site.  As for it ending like Vietnam, is there really any other choice?  No amount of military power will rid Iraq and Afghanistan of terrorists.  Wars have been going on in the middle east way too long for us to suddenly stop them.  Also, why should we care about their freedom when we are losing ours at home?  It seems a little hypocritical to me.  Don't get me wrong, I will support our troops as long as they are putting their lives on the line everyday for us, but don't expect me to support a war that sheds U.S. blood for a third world countries because these wars are morally and ethically wrong.     

the_sky_is_blue GOLD, Reno, Nevada

This is the link if you want to see for yourself.  http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

Is there any other way that this can end except like Vietnam???  No, no amount of military power will push Al'Quida or the other terrorists out.  Politicians didn't learn from history and we underestimated our opponents once again.  Why should we care about their freedom when we are losing ours at home???  It seems a little hypocritical to me.   Don't get me wrong, I will support our troops as long as they are putting their lives on the line everyday for us, but don't expect me to support the wars becuase they are wrong.  Let us fix our own problems first.

MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

What poll says 60% oppose the war? If we pull out, the terrorists won't just say "okay, leave America out of it." And the people will hate us. It will be like Vietnam, we will just leave the people we said we would defend to the wrath of people who hate them. Americans fight for freedom and we have pledged to protect the people of Iraq and Afghanistan. And if we are still fighting when I join the Army or Marine Corps in four years, I will volunteer to go over there and fight for their freedom.