Girl on Fire | Teen Ink

Girl on Fire

March 12, 2013
By Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York
38 articles 0 photos 445 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas


There is a moment, when your whole life comes into perspective. And when it happens, you just have to take it and run.

What if I was born into a strict Afghan family? Married by age twelve, and hoping for a successful childbirth at age 13. Would I be different? Would I still be a fighter? Of course I would fight, and my heart would remain the same. For a hearts a heart, no matter what storms weather it.

But I am not an Afghan girl, nor am I burdened by real problems. I live in the city we call The Big Apple, a privileged girl: unmarried, with food and water and a home. But sometimes I wish people would listen. I wish that my classmates and friends, heavied by wealth, would drop their cares and open their eyes. I think that if one person listened to what I had to say, they would think of me differently.

Instead I am bombarded with imagery so far from the truth I live! The fact that girls' boobs and butts are the only thing holding their place in this bedraggled society angers the hell out of me. I think if our generation of ladies laid of the mascara, and cracked open a book, something good would come of it.

At the same time, we can read and write and learn. We are doctors and soldiers and surgeons and teachers, and we not only educate the dumb, but provide for the wealthy. We are what hold this place we call Earth together. I think that if one person realized that, we could all live happier lives.

This is nothing new, nor is it a new problem, or a small one. A change does start with one girl, but one girl cannot change the destinies of others instilled in a lifetime of ignorance. This seems hopeless, but nothing is. One girl may not be able to change the world, but the billions out there can. It only takes one realization, one moment for the pieces to fall into place. And a girl, a girl on fire, with a fighting heart, for these changes to be made.

We girls, we try so hard to be heard, but we are silenced. Veils are placed over our heads like privileges, instead they are burdens. People expect us to fall, but we get up. To fail, yet we prevail, and soar, and fly, until our crafted wings of hope and promise burst into something more: reality. If life is a dream, then dreaming is living. So let us dream.

My survival may not be a constant threat, and the idea of an education simple, but I am a lucky one. One who has tasted the bounty a city can offer. The life of an expensive school, and the simplicity of a loving family.

Some might say that this is the way of life. Some girls are born to be sold and bought and violated. But it isn't true. It wasn't always this way. Somewhere back our male predecessors assessed knowledge through muscle and power through voice. I know where I stand, which is higher than most girls dream of, but for me it is not high enough. I want all girls to be at my level. And the I want to keep on rising. To the next level. And the next. And the next. Until I am unstoppable.

So next time she tries to speak, let her. And when she wants an education, teach her. We are begging for a brighter future: so make it happen. I am not a God or a messenger; just a girl with a fighting heart, repeating what countless others have said before me. If you just listen, you might find:
she is worth it
she can do it
she is IT!

I am going to be the first women Navy Seal one day. And no one is going to stop me.


The author's comments:
I was inspired by Girl Rising, the new indecent film that follows the true stores of many girls in the rural parts of this world. This movie really put into perspective the wonderful life I live.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 19 comments.


on May. 20 2013 at 12:42 pm
Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York
38 articles 0 photos 445 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Thanks, I never really thought about writing it for guys, I mean i did write it primarily for girls. But I guess it can motivate guys. Are you giving the guy perspective. Haha jk sorry to be creepy. Anyway when you see me on the news being al famous, haha, you can be like "I know you" haha keep rockin :)

Mckay ELITE said...
on May. 15 2013 at 6:18 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
146 articles 0 photos 2230 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Few grammatical errors here and there. But whatever. Let's get to the good stuff.  Very powerful piece. I think it doesn't only motivate girls but guys too, even if it was written primarily to girls. It gives hope for a better tomorrow. We are that future that can change society's stereotypes and those standards that prevent women from accomplishing those goals that they want to achieve. Great movie to be inspired by also. I believe in you, Liv. I know that you can become that Navy SEAL you wanna be. I will root for you all the way. Thank you for wanting to serve our country. And for wanting to defend those freedoms that our fore-fathers and mothers have struggled forever to possess.  "This girl is on fire This girl is on fire She's walkin on fire This girl is on fire.  Everybody stands, as she goes by Cause they can see the flame that's in her eyes Watch her when she's lighting up the night Nobody knows that she's a lonely girl And it's a lonely world But she gon' let it burn, baby, burn, baby This girl is on fire This girl is on fire She's walkin on fire oh oh oh"

on May. 5 2013 at 2:50 am
BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other
10 articles 0 photos 161 comments

Favorite Quote:
Write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect

Really inspirational. Although the grammar was a little off, i know that's what happens when you write about something you feel passionate about. Your hands can't quite match the speed with which your thought flow ;). Great job, keep writing

on May. 3 2013 at 4:43 pm
Firefaerie SILVER, Austin, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not pity the dead. pity the living, and above all, those who live without love" - J.K Rowling
"There's always another secret" -Brandon Sanderson

All, i can say is that this is wonderful, absolutely inspiring and amazing  

on Apr. 23 2013 at 6:37 am
Cutey-Beauty SILVER, Ulaanbaator, Other
6 articles 0 photos 65 comments

Favorite Quote:
Soli Deo Gloria.

Very inspiring, thank you so much :) Go FIRST LADY NAVY SEAL EVER! Hurray! 

migwam ELITE said...
on Apr. 22 2013 at 5:57 pm
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington
240 articles 20 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

This is truly inspirational, not to mention well-written. You have a fire in your spirit that I know will go far in whatever you do, be it writing or living your dream of becoming a SEAL. The essay itself has some minor grammatical errors, but other than that, I can't find a flaw. I believe in you, man! Keep up this attitude, and you will not only go far, but inspire many of our fellow girls to do so as well :)

on Apr. 17 2013 at 9:58 pm
estucker1998 PLATINUM, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
20 articles 0 photos 63 comments

Favorite Quote:
The voracious ambition of humans is never sated by dreams coming true, because of the thought that everything may be done better and again. --John Green, The Fault in Our Stars.

Amazing! I think the same thing and I don't think I could have said it better myself! That was truly inspiring! Keep writing! And I hope you become a SEAL! (I think my new favorite quote might be "if life is a dream then dreaming is living" :)

on Apr. 9 2013 at 9:30 pm
laurengerhard SILVER, South Windsor, Connecticut
8 articles 0 photos 124 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am gone quite mad with the knowledge of accepting the overwhelming number of things I can never know, places I can never go, and people I can never be." -Sylvia Plath

This is beautifully written.

on Apr. 9 2013 at 7:25 pm
Mollybug16 BRONZE, Cleveland, Tennessee
4 articles 0 photos 120 comments

Favorite Quote:
Impossible is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try.

Very inspirational I love how you put If life is a dream then dreaming is living.

on Apr. 3 2013 at 9:44 pm
WhenItRains21 GOLD, Magnolia, Texas
12 articles 0 photos 54 comments
Very inspirational! I loved that you pulled inspiration from a movie, and also how you compared life to that of an Afghan girl. There are some little grammar issues, but nicely done overall!

on Apr. 2 2013 at 7:45 pm
LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico
27 articles 0 photos 423 comments

Favorite Quote:
The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hi! This is really well written! I love the fourth paragraph! So, so true! More people need to stop by and give this strong, beautiful piece a read!

on Mar. 31 2013 at 9:51 pm
SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 534 comments
I agree with Holly! This piece was very strong in the style it's been written in and I liked your thought process. It all flowed well. All in all great job.

holly1999 GOLD said...
on Mar. 31 2013 at 2:32 pm
holly1999 GOLD, Middlesbrough, Other
12 articles 8 photos 114 comments

Favorite Quote:
'There was no need to clarify my finger snap, the implication was clear in the snap itself' - Magnus Bane

Wow! Great writing, so inspirational and I can feel the passion behind your writing. I loved this, it was brilliant. I have no doubt that you will follow your dreams and become the first woman Navy seal. Great work :)

dagnytaggart said...
on Mar. 31 2013 at 1:24 pm
With the amount of passion behind your writing, I have no doubts that you will become the first woman Navy seal. Very good work, and I am super inspired right now. Girl power!

on Mar. 31 2013 at 1:17 pm
Literature_Darling GOLD, Warrenton, Virginia
14 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To live is the rarest thing of all. Most people exsist and that is all." ~Oscar Wilde
"I am a writer quite by accident, the way one my fall and rip a hole in their jeans." ~Blogger H. B. Sachs

It was OK. I liked your topic, but it needs a lot of work. Your grammer was quite off. You might want look up some rules for commas, fragments, colons,  and the proper use of the word "nor". For me, that is my biggest  issue with your grammer. If you are going to use the word nor in a sentence there has to be the word neither! Neither (blank) nor (blank). Also there were quite a few errors with complex and compund sentences! Be careful next time.

on Mar. 29 2013 at 10:26 am
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other
75 articles 16 photos 1136 comments

Favorite Quote:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Firstly: WOW! You know what good writing is to me? Simple decent words put together to write something meaningful. Something that matters. Something that gives my heart a warm feeling. Something that when I read that passionate fire ignites in my chest. This one did al that. The only teeny tiny thing I can point out is typos and some punctuation, Otherwise the writing is really good. I am not a big fan of flowery language, that doesn't stand upon some solid ground facts and beliefs so this was great for me. About your views,, I'd say I completely agree. And feeel much the same way you do about this living in much the same conditions that you do. If you read my poem "What She's worth" you will find a simliar kind of fever in it. I guess we can do a lot by these words, if people get to read them and even if it was one single person's views that were changed it was worth it. It's always worth it, isn't it? Loved it. I'm sure gonna read more soon. Love, Take Care.

on Mar. 26 2013 at 8:44 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas
72 articles 0 photos 860 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I love your attitude towards this subject!! I really love it. You're so passionate, and it seems you'll do anything to get your way (not in a bad way; it means you're ambitious). I really liked your essay as well. You connected to all areas of the world, not only our insignificant country, and you displayed a well-thought-out system of principles and reasons. I loved this. I really did. And I absolutely love your ambitious, fighting spirit. The last line was very touching as well. Great, great, great job.

on Mar. 19 2013 at 3:22 pm
Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York
38 articles 0 photos 445 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

thanks!!! As you can tell I'm kinda passionate ;)

on Mar. 18 2013 at 9:13 pm
Lisa_Scars BRONZE, CALIFORNIA, California
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"If i had a world of my own everything would be nonsense."

Nice article, your invoking spirt is inspiring. I imagined drum playing  in my head when i was reading this.