The Mumbai Attacks: A Conquest for Revenge | Teen Ink

The Mumbai Attacks: A Conquest for Revenge

By Nikhil Buduma BRONZE, San Jose, California
Nikhil Buduma BRONZE, San Jose, California

Revenge…what does it really mean? It is fueled by uncontrollable anger just waiting to strike out. It can invoke terrible evils out of even the most good-hearted men. Revenge has only three goals: to consume, to corrupt, and to ensnare. Over the stretch of history, revenge has brought about the downfall of empires, the deaths of many innocents, and has struck fear into the common people. Many times, this revenge is triggered from bitter rivalries. For the past few decades, India and Pakistan have been continuously quarreling about ownership of Kashmir. On Wednesday, November 26, 2008, terrorists from Pakistan wanted to take revenge on India for not giving up the lands. This quest for vengeance unleashed a bloody terror that the citizens of Mumbai, India, will never forget.
On the crisp, clear night before Thanksgiving, the city of Mumbai was illuminated with brilliant flashing lights as the people were enjoying the wonderful evening. However, their night wouldn’t stay peaceful for long. By 11:00 P.M., a team of armed terrorists entered the majestic Taj Mahal Hotel. Almost immediately, the gunmen released a blazing barrage of bullets, causing chaos in the lobby. Many were injured or killed in the attack. Those who survived rushed to find refuge. Some of them hid in the hotel ballroom, waiting for help. Others locked themselves in their rooms, hoping that the terrorists would leave. By midnight, the police had successfully surrounded the building, thinking that the worst was over. Their hopes were quickly dashed. An hour later, a massive blast lit the central dome of the hotel aflame. The raging fire quickly spread throughout the building. Military soldiers and firefighters soon arrived on the scene to get the situation under control. Throughout the following day, the fire was extinguished, and about three hundred people had been evacuated from the building. By the morning of November 29, the threat had been removed.
The Taj Mahal Hotel was only one of the many targeted places in the three-day siege in Mumbai. A total of at least 172 people were killed in the series of attacks, and local hospitals were overflowing with injured survivors. The citizens of Mumbai were devastated. Many had lost family members during the dreadful attack. The magnificent city was left in ruin, damaged by explosions and gunfire.
Revenge has struck once again. It has drained the happiness of the citizens of Mumbai and replaced it with fear. It has snatched the lives of many innocents. What these terrorists don’t realize is that they haven’t gained anything out of the attack. Vengeance doesn’t help anyone but itself. It feeds on greed and corruption and then leaves when it has had its fill. It has no sense of morality. Revenge unleashes a savage beast that lies within the evil nature of mankind; a beast that seeks only to destroy. If this destructive motive continues to drive the actions of people, the civilization that humans worked so hard to build will soon perish. All of the advancements and efforts will be in vain. Instead, mankind should turn to peace. Peace would allow civilization to thrive. It would put an end to suffering. And most importantly, it would allow good to triumph over evil.

Dooberz said...
  LIKE DIS IF U CRY EVRY TIME