Facepalm | Teen Ink

Facepalm

December 4, 2014
By RightWingExtremist BRONZE, Riverton, Utah
RightWingExtremist BRONZE, Riverton, Utah
4 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan


On August 9, 2014, a convenience store was robbed by an unarmed black man later indentified as Mike Brown. Mike Brown was shot and killed by a white police officer Darren Wilson on a street not far from the store. The shooting sparked riots in Ferguson, Missouri, where the shooting took place. The family of Mike Brown says the officer murdered him because he was black, the officer claims self-defence. The case was sent to a grand jury to decide if the officer should face a trial, they declined to put him on trial, sparking more riots. Here's why the whole situation is stupid and why the media is making it worse.

Everytime I hear the phrase "Hands up, don't shoot" these days, I just do a facepalm. Especially when I hear it on national news. I have no problem with the media showing this side of the story, but what I do have a problem with is when they barely even mention the officer's side of the story, and when they do, they blatantly call the officer a liar. ABC News did an interview with Officer Wilson (the man who shot Mike Brown), but then the anchors said that his demeanor was too "stoic" for his story to be true. That's insane! So you're telling me that because he was "stoic" his story's not true. The worst part though, is that they talk of riots in Ferguson, and then go on about how the riots might be justified. First of all, nothing gives you an excuse to go out and try to burn down a town, even if Officer Wilson murdered him. Second, he didn't murder him in the first place. After the grand jury decision, they released all the evidence presented to the grand jury, including pictures taken after the shooting, which obviously shows there was definitely a struggle, so immediately we know the story that says Mike Brown was walking along the street, the officer suspected him because he was black, pointed his gun at him, and shot him because he's a racist, is false. The officers story fits the evidence, however. He says he was responding to the robbery, when he saw Mike Brown walking in the middle of the street, and ordered him to the sidewalk. This is when he noticed items that were on his list of the stolen items, on Mike's person. The officer continues to say that he call Mike over to his car, and that Mike Brown began to assault him, which eventually led to him shooting Mike Brown. So what do you believe, the story portrayed by rioters and liberal media, or the story that fits the evidence? (Look this stuff up if you don't believe me.)


The author's comments:

I'm just sick of hearing one side of the story