Good Morning America: Are You Obsessed With Sex? | Teen Ink

Good Morning America: Are You Obsessed With Sex?

January 12, 2009
By dirinity SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina
dirinity SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina
9 articles 0 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Certain things catch your eye,
But pursue only those
that capture your heart.
"


What do you get when you cross a TV personality, a city council candidate, some poisonous drugs, and pop culture?
That’s right! You do get severely pathetic future. Unfortunately, that seems to be steadily increasing threat against the once was “city upon a hill” with “streets of gold” that was once known as the United States of America.

What was once taboo to even speak of in private has quickly become a threat against any form of innocence our country has laid claim to. That taboo is the over sexed society that many of us know as home and while it may seem an overly traditional idea to many, sex has taken on too large a role for the betterment of our nation. From public figures engaging in lewd public acts to deadly aphrodisiacs to pop culture encouraging violent crimes, the epidemic of over sexing everything has become a serious problem for the modern U.S.

Some public figures who committed afore mentioned lewd acts include Richard Quest of CNN TV and San Diego City Council Candidate, John Hartley. Quest was reportedly arrested in the famous Central Park of New York, New York, with less than admirable items in his possession. One was a bag of drugs, the other a rope that had no identifiable purpose, except that it tied his neck to his genitals. Hartley was also arrested. For him, however, it was in regards to a sprung leak in his inhibitions. The 65 year old had been outside the house of two women attending his personal sexual “needs” into a cup. His publicist said that he planned on remaining in the candidacy race for the June 3, 2008 election because he had a long day campaigning and “had to take a leak”. On the whole I prefer not to know what sex acts people commit or how they do them, so long as no innocent people are harmed. However, sex and scandals are over popularized topics in the media.

The adage that “sex sells” is sadly true as a deadly aphrodisiac has been sold in grocery stores through out the east coast. The drug, made from the venom of the Bufo genus toads, has caused 6 reported deaths since the mid 1990’s and one severe illness. Commonly known as Piedra, Jamaican Stone and Chinese Rock, the drug has been banned by the FDA for causing irregular heart rhythms that have proven fatal.
It is sad that some seek sexual excitement at the risk of their lives and sadder still is the fact that people sell the drug as an enhancer, knowing it is a deadly poison.

Pop culture has continued to glorify and romanticize sex as it has for the last 40 years. In particular, songs about promiscuity, abuse, and rape have been targeted towards teens as being “hip”. The fact that many fail to note is that many children are also being subjected to such “music” and it is becoming an increasing problem due to the repetitive messages that cause desensitizing. Desensitizing children and then encouraging violent crimes is simply a stupid idea because targeting people whose frontal lobes have yet to fully develop means that they don’t have stable inhibitions. That leads to the violent acts, so popularized by pop culture, becoming a reality. And with that “reality” comes the brutal fact that someone will suffer a degrading, humiliating, and cruel crime with the encouragement of pop culture.

The saddest part of all is that America has done little to nothing to end the sex obsession our country seems to have. The public needs to out against such blatant errors in judgment if they hope for their children to have a brighter, less sexualized future.